Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,425 members, 7,853,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:58 AM

Achebe: There Was Never A Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe: There Was Never A Country (2337 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe: There Was Never A Country by MAYOWAAK: 3:50pm On Oct 14, 2012
Professor Chinua Achebe got it all wrong from the title of his latest infamous book, There Was A Country, downright to the contents and this has expectedly generated a lot of controversies capable of dividing us more than unite us. If the foundation is crooked, what should we expect of the structure put on it? Papa Achebe apparently is still getting carried away by his dream of Biafra so much that he forgot that Biafra is a country that never was. There was an attempt by the Eastern Region of Nigeria to secede. That attempt did not materialise. Leaders of the rebellious region surrendered. So, there was never a country. If a celebrated scholar like Prof. Achebe believes that Biafra ever was, then, it is easy for us to deduce the quality of the remaining content of the book. It is apparent that it is going to be nothing but Biafracentric — a country that never was. Like many other writers that have weighed in on the Nigeria Civil War, we know that people will write from their own perspective and their opinion would be coloured, in most cases, by whereever their hearts lie.

Let us examine certain area from the book that has generated so much furor in the polity:

When it comes to how Ojukwu starved his own people to death, by admission of Achebe himself, this is how Rudolf Okonkwo, one of the reviewers of the book, puts it; “Achebe argues that some questions will be debated for generations. One of such questions has to do with the security reasons behind Ojukwu’s rejection of Nigeria’s Federal Government’s proposal for a road corridor for food and the Federal Government’s rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative.”

When it comes to rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Prof. Achebe was quoted as follows:

”It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations.

“However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbos at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose — the Nigeria-Biafra war — his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case, it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation — eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations.”

This is a wonderful peek into the Biafracentric frame of mind of a man that wrote that attack. So, the Federal Government actually made a proposal for a road corridor for food to the starving women and children of Biafra and Ojukwu rejected it for “security reasons?” That does not really sound like a people with genocidal intentions to me; ask Rwandans if you care to know. Was the Nigerian government not entitled to its own security by making sure that arms were not imported as food supplies? When it comes to Chief Obafemi Awolowo and General Gowon and their security reasons; Achebe quickly concluded that it was “genocidal” and when it comes to Ojukwu, it will only “be debated for generation.” By the way, are beggars really choosers? You started a war and you are dictating to your opponent on how he can supply you food to sustain the war against him. Did Prof. Achebe know that economic blockade is actually a legitimate weapon of war? It is even used in peace time. Note that this came from Achebe himself in the same book that he has accused Chief Awolowo of genocide; how more ridiculous could the accusation get? I have deliberately decided not to even look outside of the book to shoot down the deliberate and wicked lies of Prof. Achebe. Of course, there is a ton of information out there to put a lie to this assertion. The two sides, according to him, disagreed on how food should be supplied to the hungry children of war, but Awolowo ‘a bloody civilian,’ in the midst of the Army generals is the Grinch that stole Christmas, must be blamed for genocide. Good try professor, but teacher, don’t teach me nonsense!

I am seriously not bothered by the latest outburst of Prof. Achebe against Chief Awolowo. Antagonising the Yoruba and anything not Igbo has been his pastime. He is one of the same persons that lent their false intellectual support to the phantom carpet-crossing in the old Western Region House. He expressed dissatisfaction with Wole Soyinka’s winning the Nobel Prize and has always had contempt for anything not originating from the East side of River Niger. I know that for a man who has been writing fiction for over 50 years of his life, and has milked one fiction book for the better part of his life, it may have become difficult for him to differentiate between fiction and facts. But I am concerned with how his latest work would affect the already very fragile nation, both in content and timing. One would have thought that a man of 81 years would have grown beyond the prejudices he has carried in his heart for over 40 years. One would have thought that an 81-year-old man would work to foster unity, bridge gap, use the opportunity presented by writing his war memoirs more to heal wounds and preach forgiveness and brotherhood, rather than making a futile attempt at re-establishing the phantom Igbo dominance and superiority over others and further driving a wedge between Igbo people and other Nigerians.

I am one of the people that believe that we have not told the story of the Nigerian Civil War enough. I believe there are many questions that are still left unanswered. This is why it pained me to bone marrow that Chief Ojukwu, the number one hero of that war, failed to write his memoir. But then, people will be more interested in a dispassionate analysis of the war; the one that tells the story robustly, as it was. I really do not have to wait for the book to have a fair understanding of the content as is being advocated by some sympathisers of Prof. Achebe. I have read a few reviews of the book with some disturbing quotes and jejune conclusion from the professor, especially the review done by my friend Rudolf, a man whose writing I follow religiously and it is always a delight to read Rudolf.

The wicked lies that have been told against the Yoruba people under the mango trees of the East have persisted for ages even when many Igbo have come and saw for themselves; how they have thrived unmolested everywhere in Yorubaland, the lies persist because people like Achebe, an icon of Igbo people, are always there to lend their intellectual falsehood to the tales by the moonlight. I think it is about time to fight back and set the records straight.

The name Awolowo represents one of the brightest spots in the history of Yoruba people. This latest attack on him is an attack on Yoruba history and its people and it has raised this pertinent question for Yoruba people ‘What do they really want from us?’

It is on record that a party later came to be known as Zik’s party, the NCNC, was actually led at inception by a Yoruba man, Sir Herbert Macaulay, and Dr. Azikiwe served as his secretary, it is on record that many Yoruba people were members and moved out en masse when Zik made an infamous statement to Ibo Union that God had sent Igbo race to liberate Nigeria and he started using his West African Pilot newspaper to drive Igbo agenda. It was Zik that turned NCNC from national party to Igbo party. Despite the insultive utterances, the party was still popular in the West, until Zik insisted on ruling the Western Region against common sense and the people gave their votes to Action Group to form the government. People like Achebe came up with tribalism theory against Awolowo. In their selective ignorance they forgot that Azikiwe went back to the East to drive away Eyo Ita who was the Prime Minister because he was from the minority tribe. Nobody talks about that. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Chief Awolowo approached Dr. Azikiwe during the 1959 elections when no clear leader emerged to give Action Group votes to him so that Azikiwe could become the Prime Minister and he Awolowo, the Finance Minister, but Zik turned him down and traded Prime Ministership for ceremonial presidency with Tafawa Balewa. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that NPC/NCNC alliance was used for maximum effect to oppress the Yoruba and other minorities of the South with Igbo people taking about 97 per cent of whatever was due to the South in a country that understood only North/South dichotomy; that the so-called Igbo dominance (at the federal level) is traceable to this evil and oppressive alliance. With federal might, they installed Igbo vice-chancellors in universities in Yorubaland, which was and is still not practicable in their own clime. We did not bulge neither did the Yoruba people complain. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Dr. Azikiwe’s alliance with Northern People Congress railroaded Chief Awolowo to the prison and he never lifted a finger to support him. It is also on record that Tafawa Balewa offered Chief Obafemi Awolowo Deputy Prime Ministership in prison, if he would support him, but great Awo turned it down. When Aguiyi-Ironsi seized power, he freed all political prisoners and despite Chief Awolowo’s passionate plea for his case to be considered, Aguiyi-Ironsi ignored him. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that the coup carried out by mostly Igbo soldiers in 1966 killed mostly the leadership of the North and West. We do not know if Awolowo would have survived, if he was not in prison. They killed almost all the most senior Yoruba military officers and even callously murdered Brigadier Ademulegun, his pregnant wife and Col. Ralph Shodeinde for no apparent reason in a coup supposedly directed at corrupt civilians. The only high-ranking member of NCNC that was killed, Chief Okotie-Eboh, was not Igbo and had problem with Mbadiwe on the Finance portfolio that he held. The latter wanted the ‘juicy’ portfolio, but Tafa Balewa rebuffed him. Yet, we did not start pogrom against Igbo residing in the West. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi, a Yoruba man, chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi; it is on record that Prof. Soyinka and Dr. Tai Solarin went to jail for the Biafran cause. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that despite everything, Chief Obafemi Awolowo went to Enugu in company of Prof. Sam Aluko and Mariere to persuade Ojukwu not to start the war yet; that he should give him the opportunity to mediate; that Ojukwu gave him his words to tarry a little bit but declared a war immediately Awo stepped out of Enugu. What do they really want from us?

I am not surprised; Prof. Achebe did not disappoint in his latest work. I believe, therefore, that Prof. Achebe is entitled to his selective senility and convenient amnesia; it is only left for us, people of goodwill, to put the record straight for posterity’s sake. Igbo intellectuals of good conscience should help to re-orientate their youths that have been grossly miseducated, misinformed and disinformed by people like Achebe. It is in their interest to do so.

Ayo Turton Esq. is the National Legal Counsel to Egbe Omo Yoruba USA and Canada.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Callotti: 3:56pm On Oct 14, 2012
Looks like the Achebe gang has replaced the 'cassava' gang on NL! grin
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
Yes, I agree with the writer:

Achebe's title is "misleading", instead of there was a country, it should be, "there is a country".

Biafra is not was.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 14, 2012
Achebe must be sneezing constantly about the way his name is been mentioned by his haters on NL! Whether his haters like him or not, he doesn't give a fucck about y'all! "Sighs"
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Ngodigha: 4:13pm On Oct 14, 2012
noblezone: Yes, I agree with the writer:

Achebe's title is "misleading", instead of there was a country, it should be, "there is a country".

Biafra is not was.
Write your own memoir and choose the title that pleases you.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
Ngodigha:
Write your own memoir and choose the title that pleases you.

Bros, read between the lines.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by olapluto(m): 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2012
Something with the Biafra war is that the story has not being fully told. I am just learning in this article that FGN actually offered a food corridor, which Ojukwu rejected based of security concerns. FGN was ready to feed the women and children. Awo also stated in his interview that food was being send to Biafra but the soldiers were starving their own people while eating to sustain the war. My Igbo brothers chose to ignore these facts. Lets forget Awo and start to say things as they are for the sake of generations yet unborn.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by T9ksy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2012
ola_pluto: Something with the Biafra war is that the story has not being fully told. I am just learning in this article that FGN actually offered a food corridor, which Ojukwu rejected based of security concerns. FGN was ready to feed the women and children. Awo also stated in his interview that food was being send to Biafra but the soldiers were starving their own people while eating to sustain the war. My Igbo brothers chose to ignore these facts. Lets forget Awo and start to say things as they are for the sake of generations yet unborn.

The bolded portion above is the crux of the matter which poignantly, my ibo brothers have selectively chosen to ignore.

The war stopped 6 months after a total blockade was enforced. This means Ojukwu had been deliberately starving his OWN people whilst

using their plight as a propaganda tool against the federal govt for almost 24months.

What an hero!!!
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Aizebioje(m): 4:45pm On Oct 14, 2012
Why is it that the happenings of the civil war are nat taught in schools? It's a vital part of our history you know!
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Maxymilliano(m): 4:54pm On Oct 14, 2012
I don't know why people are just blowing hot air over nothing. Achebe only wrote a memoir... An expression of HIS opinions on people and events. Last time i checked, a memoir still remains a memoir and not a compilation of facts.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Callotti: 5:04pm On Oct 14, 2012
The wicked lies that have been told against the Yoruba people under the mango trees of the East have persisted for ages even when many Igbo have come and saw for themselves; how they have thrived unmolested everywhere in Yorubaland, the lies persist because people like Achebe, an icon of Igbo people, are always there to lend their intellectual falsehood to the tales by the moonlight. I think it is about time to fight back and set the records straight.

The name Awolowo represents one of the brightest spots in the history of Yoruba people. This latest attack on him is an attack on Yoruba history and its people and it has raised this pertinent question for Yoruba people ‘What do they really want from us?

Gbam!
Take no hostages. kiss
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by truth4meal(m): 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
This to me is doing justice to the truth - this piece nailed the coffin of lies and half-truth. I thank Achebe for bringing to fore his ardent bigotry and for trading his respect for flimsy $19 a book...
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by olapluto(m): 5:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
MAYOWAAK:

Let us examine certain area from the book that has generated so much furor in the polity:

When it comes to how Ojukwu starved his own people to death, by admission of Achebe himself, this is how Rudolf Okonkwo, one of the reviewers of the book, puts it; “Achebe argues that some questions will be debated for generations. One of such questions has to do with the security reasons behind Ojukwu’s rejection of Nigeria’s Federal Government’s proposal for a road corridor for food and the Federal Government’s rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative.”

[b]When it comes to rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Prof. Achebe was quoted as follows:

”It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations.

“However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbos at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose — the Nigeria-Biafra war — his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case, it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation — eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations.”

This is a wonderful peek into the Biafracentric frame of mind of a man that wrote that attack. So, the Federal Government actually made a proposal for a road corridor for food to the starving women and children of Biafra and Ojukwu rejected it for “security reasons?” That does not really sound like a people with genocidal intentions to me; ask Rwandans if you care to know.[/b]

Let us dwell on these. Security reasons for Ojukwu, Genocidal ethnocentric ambitions for Awo. Funny how someone much younger than Achebe can see through his bigotry.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by FSU: 5:37pm On Oct 14, 2012
I wonder where Awo is today? In hell or in the bottom of the ocean? Either way, he is not finding life funny even in death. What an evil man who was so evil he had to kill himself.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Osiris211: 6:12pm On Oct 14, 2012
Finally, Achebe has overstretched his boundary. They constantly taunt the Yoruba nation and confused our gentility with simplicity. There was a country filled with cowards was the blow that breaks the camel's back.

we'll continue on this path until the last Yoruba blood becomes fully aware of the "enemies within" and summarily dealt with. We are going to start making south west hotter than frying pan to those wishing us bad.

The south west was their only safe heaven cos the northerners are well positioned to eliminate traitors and backstabbers in their own effective ways. we'll not stand by any longer and watch any tribe or region mudsling our people.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ikeyman00(m): 6:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
@@@@@

this is getting really ridiculous as time fly

instead addressing the truth they are so desperate to look for flaws to pick on

end of the road im afraid!
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by 9jaIhail(m): 6:38pm On Oct 14, 2012
Hehehe Achebe heat is truly on this people from the south west. Continue looking for flimsy excuses to justify Awo actions forgetting that as we are nursing the evil melted on us by awo and his goons it can be the other way round some day.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ochukoccna: 10:56pm On Oct 14, 2012
1] You must wonder why Joe Achuzia and Chinua Achebe did not tar Awolowo with the tar brush of 'genocide' when he was alive? undecided undecided
I mean he was alive to refute or admit to it then even though his memoirs are replete with his stand on it lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Why wait when he's long dead and buried to exhume this serious allegation? angry angry
Is it to sell their books? shocked shocked shocked
2] How come the Igbos have always aligned with the Hausa/Fulani& conservative political parties [those who instigated their 'genocide'] in politics since the onset of the 2nd Republic? I mean always voting for those who killed your people? embarassed embarassed
Did the same Igbos who have always effused with love for Ojukwu denied him representation in the Senate? grin grin
3] How come Igbos have not refuted the fact that the region of man whom they accuse of genocide was the only part of Nigeria where the horrors visited against their race [raping, looting, ethnic cleansing etal] was minimal if at all existent?
4] How come the Igbos are yet to refute the fact that the South West was the only part of the country they came back to lay hold of their properties and investments after the war? sad sad
5] How come the Igbos have NEVER taken Ojukwu& their war leaders to task that they led them into a war which was not well thought out, in which he lacked major allies [Russia's backing of Assad is why the Syrian crisis has no direct Western intervention till now], ammunition to prosecute it nor provision in nutrition, cash and kind? embarassed embarassed embarassed
6] How come Achebe [a civilian] is blaming Awolowo for the a$s whooping Biafra received? Late Ojukwu& Effiong should be the ones who should tackle Gowon and their ilk about such attrocities
7] Why is the Igbo man despite his business acumen ever brash, belligerent or is it bellicose?
Is it something in his genes or is it pride? shocked shocked shocked
Anyone who had spent time on NL or other online sites would not be shocked by Achebe's revisionism tongue tongue
Igbo ethnic online warriors have been at it for eons undecided undecided
After all, Achebe was an official Biafran propagandist during the war shocked shocked
So what do you expect 42 years after the war?
Any one seen his recent pictures, dude looks senile at best, so what ramblings do you expect from a man who should be in the sanatorium? shocked shocked cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ACM10: 12:09am On Oct 15, 2012
It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi, a
Yoruba man, chose to die with Aguiyi-
Ironsi;
This is bullshyt! This alone has discredited the whole fairytale of "its on record". I have to paste my response to this issue from another thread. This is from one of the officers tasked with killing Ironsi and Fajuyi.

T9ksy:

[i][/i]Oh and i suppose ibo writers are are not also guilty of revisionism? The fact of the matter is , each

group will swallow info. that paints them in a good light. So, am i now suppose to accept biafran's version of events which

exonerates them of any wrongdoing?

If for instance, fajuyi was not killed because he offered to die with his boss, WHY THEN WAS HE EXECUTED along with Ironsi?

If it was because he was complicit in the jan 15th coup so then was Ironsi and Ojukwu who admitted (in one of his old

interviews), not remembering if he had pre-knowledge of the coup or not!Ojukwu is as cagey as hell!

In the meanwhile, you guys can continue with your "victim" game but the rest of us have moved on. No group in the country owes

the ibos, nada.

And am waiting patiently for ibo writers to provide their own evidence of the election won in western nigeria by the ibos in 1953.

Dede, over to you.

Before Dede1 gives you hiz response, I'm gonna quote Lt Walbe in hiz own word. By the way, J. Isawa Elaigwu is from Plateau state. He wz formerly a lecturer in the dept. of Political Science, Univ. of Jos.

According to Lt Walbe
Lt Walbe:
As far as I am concerned it was a lie(Yoruba publications). We arrested him as we arrested Ironsi. We suspected him of being party to the January coup. You remember the Battle Group Course which was held at Abeokuta . . . Fajuyi was Commander of the Battle Group course. He ran the course. All those who took part in the January coup were those who had taken part in that course. It gave us the impression that the Battle Course was arranged for the January Coup, so he had to suffer it too. I am sorry about that but that is the nature of the life of the military man

1 Like

Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Germannig: 12:14am On Oct 15, 2012
Osiris.211:
Finally, Achebe has overstretched his boundary. They constantly taunt the Yoruba nation and confused our gentility with simplicity. There was a country filled with cowards was the blow that breaks the camel's back.

we'll continue on this path until the last Yoruba blood becomes fully aware of the "enemies within" and summarily dealt with. We are going to start making south west hotter than frying pan to those wishing us bad.

The south west was their only safe heaven cos the northerners are well positioned to eliminate traitors and backstabbers in their own effective ways. we'll not stand by any longer and watch any tribe or region mudsling our people.

This is empty sabre rattling. You will end up leaving Nigeria and relocating to Benin Republic when the war starts. Remember June 12 and NADECO? Empty, cowards
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Osiris211: 5:47am On Oct 15, 2012
At least, I won't relocate to Abidjan like that coward in chief Ojukwu. The idiotic biafran "General" bolted out leaving his people to be killed like some gaming swines, only to later come back to be buried as Lt. colonel .

That was the beginning of cowardice in the history of Africa, preceding idi amin dada.

Germannig:

This is empty sabre rattling. You will end up leaving Nigeria and relocating to Benin Republic when the war starts. Remember June 12 and NADECO? Empty, cowards
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 15, 2012
Very funny "There was never a country"

Consider this : "There was never a man called Obafemi Awolowo"

@OP: stop challenging an English professor, lest you expose your inadequacies too much.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by PointB: 8:36am On Oct 15, 2012
Awoists can rant and rave from now till enternity in their bid to defend their genocidal mentor, the fact remain that Awo knew what he was saying when he stated: 'All is fair in war! And starvation is a weapon of war' Obafemi Awolowo indeed know what he was doing by stopping the transfer of food to the Biafran enclave insisting the the civilain will suffer less than soldiers. Awo had confessed to his crimes before his death, and his master Gowon has stated he has no regrets for what they did, so why are many clowns wasting so much bandwith defending these two criminals and mass murderers?
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by kettykin: 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2012
Lt Walbe:
As far as I am concerned it was a lie(Yoruba publications). We arrested him as we arrested Ironsi. We suspected him of being party to the January coup. You remember the Battle Group Course which was held at Abeokuta . . . Fajuyi was Commander of the Battle Group course. He ran the course. All those who took part in the January coup were those who had taken part in that course. It gave us the impression that the Battle Course was arranged for the January Coup, so he had to suffer it too. I am sorry about that but that is the nature of the life of the military man

I now realise why the North does not Join in most Argument and boasting about the Uncivil War , They Know more than the south Knows and will only spill the beans when the time is ripe
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 15, 2012
MOD..Please move this thread to the front page....The write up is so educative and interesting...This should be an eye opener to those who have been following and praising Ojuku blindly....God Bless.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by T9ksy(m): 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2012
ACM10:
This is bullshyt! This alone has discredited the whole fairytale of "its on record". I have to paste my response to this issue from another thread. This is from one of the officers tasked with killing Ironsi and Fajuyi.

Before Dede1 gives you hiz response, I'm gonna quote Lt Walbe in hiz own word. By the way, J. Isawa Elaigwu is from Plateau state. He wz formerly a lecturer in the dept. of Political Science, Univ. of Jos.

So, what's your point?
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ACM10: 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
T9ksy:

So, what's your point?

My point is that any version of history which states that,
"Adekunle Fajuyi, a
Ironsi"
is a MYTH.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by chosen04(f): 5:55pm On Oct 15, 2012
ACM10:

My point is that any version of history which states that,
"Adekunle Fajuyi, a
Ironsi"
is a MYTH.

Ofcourse you are right that story is a ruse.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Dede1(m): 6:35pm On Oct 15, 2012
MAYOWAAK: Professor Chinua Achebe got it all wrong from the title of his latest infamous book, There Was A Country, downright to the contents and this has expectedly generated a lot of controversies capable of dividing us more than unite us. If the foundation is crooked, what should we expect of the structure put on it? Papa Achebe apparently is still getting carried away by his dream of Biafra so much that he forgot that Biafra is a country that never was. There was an attempt by the Eastern Region of Nigeria to secede. That attempt did not materialise. Leaders of the rebellious region surrendered. So, there was never a country. If a celebrated scholar like Prof. Achebe believes that Biafra ever was, then, it is easy for us to deduce the quality of the remaining content of the book. It is apparent that it is going to be nothing but Biafracentric — a country that never was. Like many other writers that have weighed in on the Nigeria Civil War, we know that people will write from their own perspective and their opinion would be coloured, in most cases, by whereever their hearts lie.

When it comes to rejection of Ojukwu’s alternative by the Federal Government of Nigeria, Prof. Achebe was quoted as follows:

This is a wonderful peek into the Biafracentric frame of mind of a man that wrote that attack. So, the Federal Government actually made a proposal for a road corridor for food to the starving women and children of Biafra and Ojukwu rejected it for “security reasons?” That does not really sound like a people with genocidal intentions to me; ask Rwandans if you care to know. Was the Nigerian government not entitled to its own security by making sure that arms were not imported as food supplies? When it comes to Chief Obafemi Awolowo and General Gowon and their security reasons; Achebe quickly concluded that it was “genocidal” and when it comes to Ojukwu, it will only “be debated for generation.” By the way, are beggars really choosers? You started a war and you are dictating to your opponent on how he can supply you food to sustain the war against him. Did Prof. Achebe know that economic blockade is actually a legitimate weapon of war? It is even used in peace time. Note that this came from Achebe himself in the same book that he has accused Chief Awolowo of genocide; how more ridiculous could the accusation get? I have deliberately decided not to even look outside of the book to shoot down the deliberate and wicked lies of Prof. Achebe. Of course, there is a ton of information out there to put a lie to this assertion. The two sides, according to him, disagreed on how food should be supplied to the hungry children of war, but Awolowo ‘a bloody civilian,’ in the midst of the Army generals is the Grinch that stole Christmas, must be blamed for genocide. Good try professor, but teacher, don’t teach me nonsense!

I am seriously not bothered by the latest outburst of Prof. Achebe against Chief Awolowo. Antagonising the Yoruba and anything not Igbo has been his pastime. He is one of the same persons that lent their false intellectual support to the phantom carpet-crossing in the old Western Region House. He expressed dissatisfaction with Wole Soyinka’s winning the Nobel Prize and has always had contempt for anything not originating from the East side of River Niger. I know that for a man who has been writing fiction for over 50 years of his life, and has milked one fiction book for the better part of his life, it may have become difficult for him to differentiate between fiction and facts. But I am concerned with how his latest work would affect the already very fragile nation, both in content and timing. One would have thought that a man of 81 years would have grown beyond the prejudices he has carried in his heart for over 40 years. One would have thought that an 81-year-old man would work to foster unity, bridge gap, use the opportunity presented by writing his war memoirs more to heal wounds and preach forgiveness and brotherhood, rather than making a futile attempt at re-establishing the phantom Igbo dominance and superiority over others and further driving a wedge between Igbo people and other Nigerians.

I am one of the people that believe that we have not told the story of the Nigerian Civil War enough. I believe there are many questions that are still left unanswered. This is why it pained me to bone marrow that Chief Ojukwu, the number one hero of that war, failed to write his memoir. But then, people will be more interested in a dispassionate analysis of the war; the one that tells the story robustly, as it was. I really do not have to wait for the book to have a fair understanding of the content as is being advocated by some sympathisers of Prof. Achebe. I have read a few reviews of the book with some disturbing quotes and jejune conclusion from the professor, especially the review done by my friend Rudolf, a man whose writing I follow religiously and it is always a delight to read Rudolf.

The name Awolowo represents one of the brightest spots in the history of Yoruba people. This latest attack on him is an attack on Yoruba history and its people and it has raised this pertinent question for Yoruba people ‘What do they really want from us?’

It is on record that a party later came to be known as Zik’s party, the NCNC, was actually led at inception by a Yoruba man, Sir Herbert Macaulay, and Dr. Azikiwe served as his secretary, it is on record that many Yoruba people were members and moved out en masse when Zik made an infamous statement to Ibo Union that God had sent Igbo race to liberate Nigeria and he started using his West African Pilot newspaper to drive Igbo agenda. It was Zik that turned NCNC from national party to Igbo party. Despite the insultive utterances, the party was still popular in the West, until Zik insisted on ruling the Western Region against common sense and the people gave their votes to Action Group to form the government. People like Achebe came up with tribalism theory against Awolowo. In their selective ignorance they forgot that Azikiwe went back to the East to drive away Eyo Ita who was the Prime Minister because he was from the minority tribe. Nobody talks about that. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Chief Awolowo approached Dr. Azikiwe during the 1959 elections when no clear leader emerged to give Action Group votes to him so that Azikiwe could become the Prime Minister and he Awolowo, the Finance Minister, but Zik turned him down and traded Prime Ministership for ceremonial presidency with Tafawa Balewa. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that NPC/NCNC alliance was used for maximum effect to oppress the Yoruba and other minorities of the South with Igbo people taking about 97 per cent of whatever was due to the South in a country that understood only North/South dichotomy; that the so-called Igbo dominance (at the federal level) is traceable to this evil and oppressive alliance. With federal might, they installed Igbo vice-chancellors in universities in Yorubaland, which was and is still not practicable in their own clime. We did not bulge neither did the Yoruba people complain. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Dr. Azikiwe’s alliance with Northern People Congress railroaded Chief Awolowo to the prison and he never lifted a finger to support him. It is also on record that Tafawa Balewa offered Chief Obafemi Awolowo Deputy Prime Ministership in prison, if he would support him, but great Awo turned it down. When Aguiyi-Ironsi seized power, he freed all political prisoners and despite Chief Awolowo’s passionate plea for his case to be considered, Aguiyi-Ironsi ignored him. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that the coup carried out by mostly Igbo soldiers in 1966 killed mostly the leadership of the North and West. We do not know if Awolowo would have survived, if he was not in prison. They killed almost all the most senior Yoruba military officers and even callously murdered Brigadier Ademulegun, his pregnant wife and Col. Ralph Shodeinde for no apparent reason in a coup supposedly directed at corrupt civilians. The only high-ranking member of NCNC that was killed, Chief Okotie-Eboh, was not Igbo and had problem with Mbadiwe on the Finance portfolio that he held. The latter wanted the ‘juicy’ portfolio, but Tafa Balewa rebuffed him. Yet, we did not start pogrom against Igbo residing in the West. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi, a Yoruba man, chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi; it is on record that Prof. Soyinka and Dr. Tai Solarin went to jail for the Biafran cause. What do they really want from us?

It is on record that despite everything, Chief Obafemi Awolowo went to Enugu in company of Prof. Sam Aluko and Mariere to persuade Ojukwu not to start the war yet; that he should give him the opportunity to mediate; that Ojukwu gave him his words to tarry a little bit but declared a war immediately Awo stepped out of Enugu. What do they really want from us?

I am not surprised; Prof. Achebe did not disappoint in his latest work. I believe, therefore, that Prof. Achebe is entitled to his selective senility and convenient amnesia; it is only left for us, people of goodwill, to put the record straight for posterity’s sake. Igbo intellectuals of good conscience should help to re-orientate their youths that have been grossly miseducated, misinformed and disinformed by people like Achebe. It is in their interest to do so.

Ayo Turton Esq. is the National Legal Counsel to Egbe Omo Yoruba USA and Canada.

I have every impetus pedigree to declare the author of the above crap should be investigated for any academic laurel he\she flashes. Even a third grader knew there was country known as Biafra. It is on record the country known as Biafra received diplomatic recognitions from four (4) African countries and another from the American.

I thought the moronic extrovert had intelligent scoop until the section he\she introduced the fallacy of the century by stating “It is on record that Adekunle Fajuyi, a Yoruba man, chose to die with Aguiyi-Ironsi”. It is only in the world of fools that coup plotters grant principal targets the option to choose how to die. What a foolery and waste of bandwidth.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ba7man(m): 6:40pm On Oct 15, 2012
This set of people still holding grudges against a civil-war that occured over 40yrs ago should pls move on and not let their hatred for each other to transcend generations. I don't care who ordered what....they are dead and it wasn't me that was offended neither is it their children around me that carried out these atrocities.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by ba7man(m): 6:54pm On Oct 15, 2012
I'm a Yoruba man but i like my Igbo friends too much to listen to anyone trying to sow the spirit of hate in minds. Be it Awolowo, Ojukwu, Fashola, my father, my pastor....etc.
Re: Achebe: There Was Never A Country by Dede1(m): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2012
The evil that men do leaves after them and visited upon their children. The idea to perpetrate a war on group of people who wanted nothing but a country they can call home is the worst case of inhumanness act of hatred.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Non Oil Export Increases Tenfold In 2yrs From $276m To $3.72billion / Nig. Army Orders Arrest Of Gen. For Running Into Bush With Troops In Fear Of B.H / Nigeria Will Know No Peace If Gej Loses.?????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.