Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. (5997 Views)

Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example / Difference Between Traditional Paganism And Abrahamic Monotheism / Refuting Monotheism: God Does Not Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. by plaetton: 5:42am On Oct 22, 2012
davidylan:

Makes me wonder what your point for this thread is then. Everyone from anony to ubenedictus agrees to the facts highlighted in blue. Your point being? I'm not sure what you needed to "prove"... we've all known that since we were 3 yrs old.

The worship of more than one god is what is called polytheism. Is it not?
So the Isaelites were polytheists.

And by the way, Who unbanned you?
Have you resolved your confusions about versions and their reliability?.
If not, you remain banned from discussing biblical issues.
Ok?
cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. by MrAnony1(m): 6:12am On Oct 22, 2012
plaetton:

The worship of more than one god is what is called polytheism. Is it not?
So the Isaelites were polytheists.

And by the way, Who unbanned you?
Have you resolved your confusions about versions and their reliability?.
If not, you remain banned from discussing biblical issues.
Ok?
cheesy cheesy cool
Lol, in a desparate attempt to force in a point you never had, you have come to settle with an empty generalization by defining the character of a culture based on it's taboos.

In the same vein: let's try some generalizations shall we?

marrying more than one wife is called polygamy isn't it? So Americans are polygamists
eating human flesh is called cannibalism is it not? So Nigerians are cannibals
selling sex is called prostitution is it not? Nigerians are prostitutes.
torturing children is child abuse is it not? The British are child-abusers.

Your argument sounds like this: "Yes I know that the official religion of the Israelites is monotheist but some of them broke the law by worshipping multiple gods and I desperately need to grasp for a point therefore I'll just generalize by saying that the Israelites were polytheists." this is an awfully poor argument. You don't have a case, You never did.

Go get educated and come back. You are lacking in not only bible and torah knowledge but also in critical thinking. I am surprised that David actually wasted his time on you.
Re: Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. by truthislight: 7:51am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

^^^

very funny.

Ok, its learning time and plaeton is the tutor.
Can you cite/defence the bible portion that said that?

mind you, the exact word has to be "elshaddai" and not the meaning of elshaddai please.

Am waiting.

Show or give us the bible portion were you got this
plaetton:

Sir, have u been reading my posts.
in the bible,Yahweh clearly and unambigously tells Moses, that he (Yahweh) was known in olden times as El-shaddai.
Have you not seen this in the bible?
If you dispute that, please go and iron it out with Yahweh. Its your word against those of Yahweh. lol.

And this.
Give proof or then you have to concede that you lied and have no basis

very funny.

Ok, its learning time and plaeton is the tutor.
Can you cite/defence the bible portion that said this bellow?

plaetton: Yahweh clearly and unambigously tells Moses, that he (Yahweh) was known in olden times as El-shaddai.

@plaeton

am still waiting for you to tutor me.
Re: Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. by truthislight: 7:52am On Oct 22, 2012
DP
Re: Anony & Ihedinobi,Goshen, lets Discuss Yahweh,monotheism And The Bible. by plaetton: 1:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, in a desparate attempt to force in a point you never had, you have come to settle with an empty generalization by defining the character of a culture based on it's taboos.

In the same vein: let's try some generalizations shall we?

marrying more than one wife is called polygamy isn't it? So Americans are polygamists
eating human flesh is called cannibalism is it not? So Nigerians are cannibals
selling sex is called prostitution is it not? Nigerians are prostitutes.
torturing children is child abuse is it not? The British are child-abusers.

Your argument sounds like this: "Yes I know that the official religion of the Israelites is monotheist but some of them broke the law by worshipping multiple gods and I desperately need to grasp for a point therefore I'll just generalize by saying that the Israelites were polytheists." this is an awfully poor argument. You don't have a case, You never did.

Go get educated and come back. You are lacking in not only bible and torah knowledge but also in critical thinking. I am surprised that David actually wasted his time on you.

You guys are so desperate. You will latch on to anything, no matter how ridiculous, to reinforce your blind faith. You will even go against the words of your own bible. That is the one that puzzles me the most. I thought the bible was the final bus stop for you guys. I guess blind faith is even more lethat than I had previously thought.
Tufiakwa!

I have proved my claim and you know it.

But here, I have just found an extra nail to add it .
Follow me.

1 Kings.11:5 " For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the Goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites".
Verses 7-8 then goes on to say, " Then solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of Ammon."

So, once gain, the bible, the inerrant word of god, tells us that Solomon,King of all of Israel, and reputed to be very very wise, built high places, which are public alters and worship centres for all these other gods.
Now, We all know that worship centres must , of necessity, have priests and an established priesthood, right? So we have established that a preisthood even existed for the wortship of all these other individual gods. Right?
You need proof? Here it is.

In 1 kings.18:19 we read that the priests of Baal were 850 in number.(more priests than today's catholic Ireland, lol).
By simple arithmetic, we can assume at the ratio of 1 priest per 100 worshippers, we can extrapolate and estimate that there must have been at least 85,000 worshippers of Baal in that particular era. This would have been a very significant part of the population, if not the majority.
What was the population of Israel at that time? Can you take a guess?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Now,back to another point all of you have been making.

Yes indeed, the biblical prophets saw polytheism as an abomination. But who were the prophets?

Most of the biblical prophets were self-appointed men who claimed to have recieved one revelation or another.
They had no priestly functions or authority, and certainly did not have followers.
They were loners,renegades and radicals(today's equivalent of Fela) who went around preaching against evil, injustice and polytheism.
They were by far, a very insignificant minority.

The bible, as far as I have read, does not to tell us that any levite priest, spoke against or rallied against the worship of other gods. It did not say that they supported it either.

Please, please, let's put on our thinking caps and sincerely ponder.
Again, I will ask;

In a strickly monotheistic non-democratic dictatorial monarchy of ancient Israel, just how possible would it have been for Israelites , from one generation to the next, to have openly worshipped other gods, if the kings, the preists ,the elders, and the majority of the society explicitly forbade it?

In the time of Ezekiele,For women to openly worship Tammuz right on the gates of Yahweh's temple, it could only have been permisable and very common.

This shows once again, that the worship of other gods was allowed and common.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christ Embassy To Break Record With 12, 000 Man Choir / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis / Crucifixion Of Jesus: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Crucifixion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.