Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58688 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
vanstanzy:
Tithe itself is for God, like the clergy man said, God's in the poor. There, u have ur answer, give to the poor.

Yes, give to the poor, but not your tithe . . . when you give to the poor, you lend to the Lord, and He will surprise you
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Iolo(m): 6:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not even talking about whether a pastor is eating the tithe or not. What i'm asking is that, was it written explicitly that people must pay their tithes in a Church?

Malachi 3:10.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
No it isn't wrong, Actually I will rather give my tithe to the poor than give it to a pastor that has more than enough. undecided If it so happens that my pastor isn't all that wealthy (Which he isn't) then I will feel obliged to give it to him. But None the less, if i see a person that is really in need, and needs my help I will definately give them my tithe.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2012
I would prioritize giving to the poor over giving to a church.
Because if you read the bible yourself, besides what men say, the tithe is actually for the poor.

It takes understanding to do things properly.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: No it isn't wrong, Actually I will rather give my tithe to the poor than give it to a pastor that has more than enough. undecided

It is not for you to worry about how much the pastor has, it is for you to obey what the bible said, if you are follower, but if you not a follower of the word,then, it is all good . . . so you mean you wont mind to give your "tithe" to the "needy pastor" that does not have enuf?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
2buff: I would prioritize giving to the poor over giving to a church.
Because if you read the bible yourself, besides what men say, the tithe is actually for the poor.

It takes understanding to do things properly.

What you give to the church is not a tithe, was from you to the church, till you see you tithe as something you give to God, you cant understand, besides, tithe is not about money, there is more to tithing, that is another topic . .

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

It is not for you to worry about how much the pastor has, it is for you to obey what the bible said, if you are follower, but if you not a follower of the word,then, it is all good . . . so you mean you wont mind to give your "tithe" to the "needy pastor" that does not have enuf?

I wasn't finish with the post. Now go read the entire version.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Youngzedd(m): 6:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Anything you gave to the poor, is God you gave it to.

It depends on how you see it.
Always bear it in mind that u're giving to God not the physical that received.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I wasn't finish with the post. Now go read the entire version.

What you give to your pastor can never be your tithe, cos it is not his money, if you give your tithe to the pastor with the kinda mind you have, it is a gift to the pastor and God is not obliged to bless it as a seed . . .

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

What you give to the church is not a tithe, was from you to the church, till you see you tithe as something you give to God, you cant understand, besides, tithe is not about money, there is more to tithing, that is another topic . .
'

My brother you lack serious understanding.
So from what you have said, you feel giving to the poor is not giving to God?

Read your bible, specifically deutoronomy, and understand what tithing is.

You are essentially saying you see a brother or sister suffering and starving and then you tell him "sorry the only money I have here is my tithe and I am going to put it in church".
WHO DO YOU THINK GOD CARES THE MOST FOR?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by CrazyMan(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
For better explanations on tithing, see this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1046466/understanding-tithing
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
2buff: '

My brother you lack serious understanding.
So from what you have said, you feel giving to the poor is not giving to God?

Thanks, but please read my post well . . There is a difference btw giving to the poor and your tithing to the storehouse . . just incase you could not read me well:
Tithing cant be given to the poor, cos that was not you were told to do with it, why not give your taxes to the poor, at least Nigeria is so rich already.
Gift: that is what you give to people, poor, rich - does not matter.
It is the classification that we talking about, not the moral behind it, hope you now understand me, the man that has lots of understand and able to know those that lacks it . . .

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

What you give to your pastor can never be your tithe, cos it is not his money, if you give your tithe to the pastor with the kinda mind you have, it is a gift to the pastor and God is not obliged to bless it as a seed . . .

First and foremost You are not the person to tell me what kind of mind I have ( This is part of the reason I am not a big fan of orthodox christians.) 2nd I don't give my pastor a "gift" I follow God's principle of giving my 10% to the house of God, but my human instinct will kick in if i see someone STARVING AND OBVIOUSLY IN NEED, I would risk breaking the principle to help that person (You know what I don't even think its breaking the principle, because I have yet to see in the bible where it says I cannot give my tithe to the needy)

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by taigee: 6:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
God is a God of order.
He says bring your tithe to the priest (your pastor)
He say also remember the poor always and give them of your substance.
Its purely two different things don't be hypocritical like Judas here.

Joh 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
Joh 12:2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
Joh 12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
Joh 12:4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
Joh 12:5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
Joh 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
Joh 12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
Joh 12:8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

You may not like the idea of taking your tithe to your Pastor, but that's God's commandment.

Neh 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.

Your blessing is in obedience.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

First and foremost You are not the person to tell me what kind of mind I have ( This is part of the reason I am not a big fan of orthodox christians.) 2nd I don't give my pastor a "gift" I follow the God's principle of giving my 10% to the house of God, but my human instinct will kick in if i see someone STARVING AND OBVIOUSLY IN NEED, I would risk breaking the principle to help that person (You know what I don't even think its breaking the principle, because I have yet to see in the bible where it says I cannot give my tithe to the needy)

I am not here to tell you what to do with your money and if it comes out that way, my sincere and heartfelt apologies, but then, since you have not seen in the bible where it says you cant give your "tithe" to the needy,show me in same bible where it says you can . . . There is a principle laid down and it is either we blv and follow or we dont, no sitting on the fence when it comes to this one. . .

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by 2million1(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
You shouldn't give your tithe to the poor, u should give it to a man of God. That's what the bible say. You give alms to the poor not tithe
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by odehaj: 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
@OP, did u open this thread inorder to learn from all n sundries or to cut down MOGs as fun as usual?Well, I think you 've been answered correctly,tithe,according to the Bible,is meant for God,for his works how he get to Him,you can ask Abraham,&Jacob they gave tithes.If you have a pastor somewhere who eats tithe or doesn't give,tell him he is wrong.Some of you don't read the Bible!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I am not here to tell you what to do with your money and if it comes out that way, my sincere and heartfelt apologies, but then, since you have not seen in the bible where it says you cant give your "tithe" to the needy,show me in same bible where it says you can . . . [b]There is a principle laid down and it is either we blv and follow or we dont, no sitting on the fence when it comes to this one. . . [/b]

And you know what, that is okay if you feel that way. But I am Human, I won't sit down and watch someone in need

suffer while i hold on to my money and give it to the church that might not need it. All I know is that I will do

something that I feel in my heart and soul is right, rather than follow principles that I might sometimes not feel is

ethical. I don't mind breaking a few rules, if it is for the right cause.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Iolo(m): 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
No one has answered any of my questions sad

If the Bible clearly instructs Priest (the Pastor) not to own property, why are our Pastors of today contravening this?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
2 million: You shouldn't give your tithe to the poor, u should give it to a man of God. That's what the bible say. You give alms to the poor not tithe

Well said, i dont even blv that i am giving it to the man of God, i bring it to the church and whatever the church does with it is none of my business, i have obeyed the word and i leave the rest to God to take care . . .
And people talking of giving their tithe to the poor, imagine someone with 200M Naira pay, would he give 2M Naira to the poor? cos that ought to be his tithe, or just give a portion to the poor, and what happened to the rest? another poor got some ?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Orblonde: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2012
Logicboy03: Jesus said give to the poor.

I agree.

Help the needy, tithe to those who need it if you can.

So how are the Pastors supposed to buy private jets, or at least aspire to it? U wan bring dem bad market? Lols.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by IfyAwazie(f): 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ask urself, Is it wrong to give ur house rent to the poor? Tithe is for God not for the poor.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

And you know what, that is okay if you feel that way. But I am Human, I[b] won't sit down and watch someone in need
suffer while i hold on to my money and give it to the church that might not need it.[/b] All I know is that I will do
something that I feel in my heart and soul is right, rather than follow principles that I might sometimes not feel is
ethical. I don't mind breaking a few rules, if it is for the right cause.

How do we decide which and when a church needs money, a church supposed to reach out to many people and money is needed for all that . . and yes, i do understand that you are human, and so am i, but a principle is a principle and we dont have to like it, we just have to follow it once we blv that it is the right one, and if we dont blv it, we dont have to follow it at all . . .

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Thanks, but please read my post well . . There is a difference btw giving to the poor and your tithing to the storehouse . . just incase you could not read me well:
Tithing cant be given to the poor, cos that was not you were told to do with it, why not give your taxes to the poor, at least Nigeria is so rich already.
Gift: that is what you give to people, poor, rich - does not matter.
It is the classification that we talking about, not the moral behind it, hope you now understand me, the man that has lots of understand and able to know those that lacks it . . .

Beautiful!

So if you meet a brother or sister in the Lord who is in severe need and starving, and you have just enough for either tithe or them, you would say "sorry, all I have is my tithe and I will go and put that in the church"?

Who do you think God cares for the most? His children, his real temples or a building made of stone and cement?
This is all the more important especially if the current church you are in has no plans to help the needy within her walls because it is understandably bogged down with rent, upkeep costs, etc. This is what Jesus himself will tell you if He was on earth today. Read more about his life on earth and you will get to understand what i mean.

I understand exactly what I speak of. You should read the book of Deutoronomy and understand for yourself what the real purpose of the tithe was enacted for, and not just what people tell you.

At the end of the day, all is by faith.
My level of faith permits me to appropriate my tithe (going to the storehouse) to administer to another of the household.
by faith, I consider that a tithe, and as far as heaven is concerned, so it is.

Just last month I did the same, and it's like heavens windows opened to me so much this month as a result of the fact.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ify Awazie: Ask urself, Is it wrong to give ur house rent to the poor? Tithe is for God not for the poor.

Wonderfully said . . . We tend to always have a way to put God last.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by lordnammy(m): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
tithe is meant for 1:Priest, 2:the Poor 3:strangers, 4: Widows that they may plenty Det26

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Afam4eva(m): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ify Awazie: Ask urself, Is it wrong to give ur house rent to the poor? Tithe is for God not for the poor.
Then why not give it to God personally.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by EreluY(f): 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
AWON DINDINRIN. EVEN THE JEWS DON'T PAY TITHES.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
2buff:

Beautiful!

So if you meet a brother or sister in the Lord who is in severe need and starving, and you have just enough for either tithe or them, you would say "sorry, all I have is my tithe and I will go and put that in the church"?

If i only have enuf to pay my tithe, i will pay the tithe not even if i need to give it to my mother to eat, cos i know that the God that i have been faithful to, will make a way for my mother to eat . . by the way, God always have His own way to meet the needs of us all.
BTW, if i give that "Tithe" of mine to the poor, what would that poor eat when he is done eating with my "tithe", another person's tithe?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy:

[b]How do we decide which and when a church needs money, a church supposed to reach out to many people and money is needed for all that . . and yes, i do understand that you are human, and so am i, but a principle is a principle and we dont have to like it, we just have to follow it once we blv that it is the right one, and if we dont blv it, we dont have to follow it at all . . .[/b]

Oh trust me it isn't very difficult to decide which church needs the money, its very logical. Take for example a church with a pastor that is worth millions of dollars/naira who rides around in a private jet. Would you rather give that church your money because it is the "principle" or give it to someone starving almost to the brink of death. This is where ethics comes in.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 6:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Oh trust me it isn't very difficult to decide which church needs the money, its very logical. Take for example a church with a pastor that is worth millions of dollars/naira who rides around in a private jet. Would you rather give that church your money because it is the "principle" or give it to someone starving almost to the brink of death. This is where ethics comes in.

I can understand where you are coming from, but we dont have to be in a church where we dont agree with their doctrine or lifestyle of the pastor

It is not about eithics but laid down principle . . if i think that that church has too much and i dont agree with the pastor driving around in poshy rides and flying in private jets, then, i will leave the church and go where i will blv in what they are doing, but for sure will make sure that my tithe is paid in the right way and right mind too.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Mcdondayan: 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fhemmmy: Yes, it is wrong!
How?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Prophetic Picture Of The 2016 By D.K OLUKOYA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.