Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58681 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 20, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Then you will have to follow whatever translations that it meant to you, not necessarily mine, and that was why i said it is what you blv and the principle, again, when i see someone that is poor and needed, i will give them what i have but wont give them my tithe, cos that is not what my tithe is for . . . but i do understand what you saying, however, you are yet to answer me, when you give the poor your tithe this money, who will give that same needy person their tithe next week, and do you give that poor the 10% of your income or just part of it and why not give them the entire things and when you dont give entire thing, what happened to the rest of the 10%, give another poor or you keep it for God?
What are you talking about? Have you read Deut. 26 vs 12. Are you one of these Naija pastors?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by PastorKun(m): 8:54am On Oct 20, 2012
I don't know what the whole arguement is all about because the bible makes it clear in deut 14:28-29 and deut 26:12 that tithes should be given to the poor. However this was an instruction to the Israelites who were eligible to tithe as the tithe law was NEVER directed at christians. Christians are NOT required to tithe. But if pastors must preach tithes based on the obsolete commandment to the Jews to tithe (some call it an example others lie and call it a principle) then they must practise it as the bible instructed and not twist it and use it to manipulate believers for their own selfish benefit and then claim they are using the money for God's work.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by plappville(f): 1:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
Pastor Kun: I don't know what the whole arguement is all about because the bible makes it clear in deut 14:28-29 and deut 26:12 that tithes should be given to the poor. However this was an instruction to the Israelites who were eligible to tithe as the tithe law was NEVER directed at christians. Christians are NOT required to tithe. But if pastors must preach tithes based on the obsolete commandment to the Jews to tithe (some call it an example others lie and call it a principle) then they must practise it as the bible instructed and not twist it and use it to manipulate believers for their own selfish benefit and then claim
they are using the money for God's work.

True talk!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 2:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
Where is stellababy that was talking as if tomorrow no dey?

Pastor kun, they will never read that deuteronomy you quoted.

And i notice that once you mention the Highpriest(Christ our Highest Pastor) and the new covenant, they just disappear.

That is why your zeal should balance with the word of God. Don't be 'too over zealous' so that you don't make so many mistakes.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Ashmark(m): 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
I don't know much about bible verses but I know much about people around me who pay thier tithe with huge amount of money and I must say that GOD his really blessing them for this...It as to do with what you believe and the faith that you have in paying your tithe...Sometimes if my brother package his tithe,am like waoo all this money but the greatest surprise is that he keep's say that GOD has really been blessing him through the faithfulnes of paying his tithe and moreso this does not stop him from going to orphanage home to give food and cash.Just this morning we did that....What I believe is that paying your tithe does not stop you from givin to the poor.You can decide in your heart that every of your birthday will be at Agege where begger's are so that you can give them something,that doesn't stop your tithe......And for all of you who believe that pastor's are using tithe to buy suit and luxury car's,beware!....You see big church building,free transport,Instrument,Welfarism,scholarship and so many other things....How did you think they get this mornin?.....

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
tpacalipse: What are you talking about? Have you read Deut. 26 vs 12. Are you one of these Naija pastors?

What differentiate Nigerian pastors?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by joe4christ(m): 5:24pm On Oct 20, 2012
I pity the church of this generation, how they twist the scripture and render it powerless, if truly you acknowledge God as your source, why would just 10% out of your total income be difficult for you to invest into the work of God here on earth, how would you be blessed and with clear conscience to even stand before God with your hands lifted up to the heavens when you're actually rubbing God of your tithes and offerings, you are actually the one clinging to worldly possessions and materialism which will all perish, tithes and offerings are not just an old testament doctrine but a doctrine that abides for the progress of God's work here on earth.
God help you get this revelation and save yourself from eternal damnation for rubbing the king of kings and hindering his work on earth by witholding your tithes.
Heaven bares me witness that i've told you the truth but seems u aint listening!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by babestella: 5:49pm On Oct 20, 2012
Boomark: Where is stellababy that was talking as if tomorrow no dey?

Pastor kun, they will never read that deuteronomy you quoted.

And i notice that once you mention the Highpriest(Christ our Highest Pastor) and the new covenant, they just disappear.

That is why your zeal should balance with the word of God. Don't be 'too over zealous' so that you don't make so many mistakes.

I see bunch of people who will never give to the course of Christianity nor for then spread of the effective spread of the gospel. People talk about Jesus dying poor, but forgot that He is the king of kings, the one that is before time and will be even after time. The Lord of host. The Lord said silver and gold belongs to him, He is the God who blesses whom He wants to bless. He is the God that brings down one, and raises another. Lets not argue things of the spirit because tithe, giving of alms, and offerings are things of the spirit. When people of God glorify God with their substance, it is not and should not be a subject matter.

Your tithe is not for the poor, if you so wish to help the homeless, you can rent an apartment for him or her, if you wish to help the sick, you can help take care of their medical bills, the hungry, buy food stuffs and give to them. There no doubt that a lot of churches are doing this and they are not accountable to anyone. So do your path. That the church is fully equipped with good things is not your business, the people chose to beautify their place of worship, and they did it, they did not borrow money from you to do so. It doesn't still stop the humanitarian works they are doing.

A lot of you talk here should get rid of the spirit of covetousness, if you are given the position to handle money to the poor, I might doubt your integrity judging from the kind of things you write here only to justify why you will never pay your tithe in church.

Read be,ow:

Matthew 26:6-11,14-16 (KJV)
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, [7] There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat . [8] But when his disciples saw it , they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? [9] For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. [10] When Jesus understood it , he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. [11] For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. [14] Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, [15] And said unto them , What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. [16] And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.

I see lots of people here saying why did the church build a state of art structure, and even equipped with AC and etc, that the money should have been given to the poor. Lol, when you give them the money, the next minute, they will be the ones to betray the poor. Covetousness in action.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Ashmark(m): 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
Is so shameful how you so called christians fight each other on this topic....Tell me the message you're passing across to other religion....Wait,lemme guess.Meaning your religion is not based on solid prove..I sowi for you people.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
joe4christ: I pity the church of this generation, how they twist the scripture and render it powerless, if truly you acknowledge God as your source, why would just 10% out of your total income be difficult for you to invest into the work of God here on earth, how would you be blessed and with clear conscience to even stand before God with your hands lifted up to the heavens when you're actually rubbing God of your tithes and offerings, you are actually the one clinging to worldly possessions and materialism which will all perish, tithes and offerings are not just an old testament doctrine but a doctrine that abides for the progress of God's work here on earth.
God help you get this revelation and save yourself from eternal damnation for rubbing the king of kings and hindering his work on earth by witholding your tithes.
Heaven bares me witness that i've told you the truth but seems u aint listening!

Where did you get the truth you told us? Because there so many in different religion that also believe they know the truth. You can't just come and tell us you're telling us the truth.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by PastorKun(m): 6:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
joe4christ: I pity the church of this generation, how they twist the scripture and render it powerless, if truly you acknowledge God as your source, why would just 10% out of your total income be difficult for you to invest into the work of God here on earth, how would you be blessed and with clear conscience to even stand before God with your hands lifted up to the heavens when you're actually rubbing God of your tithes and offerings, you are actually the one clinging to worldly possessions and materialism which will all perish, tithes and offerings are not just an old testament doctrine but a doctrine that abides for the progress of God's work here on earth.

So how does all the hubris you wrote above justify twisting the word of God to justify
Christians tithing money from income when God never demanded it from christians? It is you and your cohorts who twist scripture to justify this scam that would have to explain to God why you are fleecing believers in his name.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2012
Ashmark: Is so shameful how you so called christians fight each other on this topic....Tell me the message you're passing across to other religion....Wait,lemme guess.Meaning your religion is not based on solid prove..I sowi for you people.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 10:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
babestella:

Read be,ow:

Matthew 26:6-11,14-16 (KJV)
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, [7] There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat . [8] But when his disciples saw it , they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? [9] For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. [10] When Jesus understood it , he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. [11] For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. [14] Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, [15] And said unto them , What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. [16] And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.

I see lots of people here saying why did the church build a state of art structure, and even equipped with AC and etc, that the money should have been given to the poor. Lol, when you give them the money, the next minute, they will be the ones to betray the poor. Covetousness in action.

The bolded can be compared to when the disciples were not fasting because Christ is still with them, Lu 5:34-35.

The disciples must have been learning from Christ that is why they said the ointment should be sold to help the poor and not to use it and pay tithe.

Christ to them to cool down because they have Him who is the help of the poor, until He goes then they will start from where He stopped cos the poor are always with them.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by gr8mee(f): 6:13pm On Oct 21, 2012
thelastPope:

This is a very childish answer. That you like giving your tithe doesn't make it right. The bible never said you should do it. You are going against scriptures. You should repent

Hmmm, childish? I think I should be telling you that, go and read your bible before you come here and blab my friend, study the book of Malachi 3:6-12, then we'll know who will tell who to repent.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by benbrains(m): 6:23am On Nov 06, 2012
thelastPope:

Is this what your bible says or your opinion? Mal 3:10 does not say so.

It said to bring all your tithe into His storehouse that there may be food in His "house"....'put me to test', He said.

"House"??
Maybe U̶̲̥̅̊ should just read it again.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by benbrains(m): 6:36am On Nov 06, 2012
frosbel:

One word to reply :

FRAUD !!!

That is why U̶̲̥̅̊ a̶̲̥̅̊я̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ d way U̶̲̥̅̊ a̶̲̥̅̊я̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥; the level U̶̲̥̅̊ a̶̲̥̅̊я̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ at right now.
Maybe, I should put this, I am not a pastor,I don't even work in church... I am therefore not tryig tobe sentimental wth M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣ views. It has worked for me!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by holypower(m): 9:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Logicboy03: Jesus said give to the poor.

I agree.

Help the needy, tithe to those who need it if you can.

tell him to help the poor and not to pay tithes there. The Bible says in Malachi 3:10: Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. That store house is in house of GOD, the Church! Bro, help the poor but don't take it that you are paying ur tithes there!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:06pm On Jul 04, 2013
plappville:

Who said that?

Read your bible.

grin

my sis. I dey hail o! grin .

Long time No see you
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
expertfingers:

Gal 4:9 But now you know the true God. Really, though, it is God who knows you. So why do you turn back to the same kind of weak and useless rules you followed before? Do you want to be slaves to those things again?
Gal 4:10 It worries me that you follow teachings about special days, months, seasons, and years. I fear that my work for you has been wasted.
[ERV]

That was Paul the Apostle speaking...More relevant verses:

Col 2:16 So don't let anyone make rules for you about eating and drinking or about Jewish customs (festivals, New Moon celebrations, or Sabbath days).
Col 2:17 In the past these things were like a shadow that showed what was coming. But the new things that were coming are found in Christ.

Thank you.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
plappville:

He was talking to new converts here abi? People who used to have thier own pagan feast, laws etc garding them before Paul preach Christ to them.

So, he was not talking to us ?

grin

ma sis. This kind selective application na wao!

grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
plappville: Paul certainly cant be refering to the Sabbath God holy day as weak and Useless.

Apostle pleppville. Na wao!

I no fit shout cool
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
plappville: Was Paul saying God (speaking) through Him or He was advising them personally?
I asked because, we see some verse when He will say, (its from me) and other He will say (from the Lord) so which one? Thanks alot.

Sister na wao!

I no fit shout.

Na you be this ! ?

You no wan trust the bible again be cause of sabbath ?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by truthislight: 10:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
plappville:
1 corinthians 7: 6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
10 ¶ And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

See what i mean. First was not of a commandment why the second is a command from God through Him

The talk was on Ephesians you went to corinth.
Do we conclude that Paul was not inspired ?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by funmike83(f): 9:50pm On Nov 04, 2013
How many of you tithers can afford to go to lifeforte international sec sch owned by a pastor, how many of you can go to convenant university, bowen, or babcock? Not all their churh members who pay tithe can afford this schools. So how are d churches reaching out to d poor? You can't even see your pastors talk more of asking them for help when in need. Sincerly I am confused about this tithing of a thing. Personally I feel its beater you give to the poor rather than giving all this pastors who have lost focus. May God help us sha

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 18, 2015
Mcdondayan:
Good day brothers and sisters in the lord. I have been pondering over this issue, and have asked some questions about it.
The bible tells us to give one tenth of our proceed to the lord and there are many promises attached to it. But if we look around us there are many poor people around us.
I have asked this same question to a clergy man and he said it is nt wrong because God is also in the poor. So i want to bring the same question to NL christains (not the brainwashed ones) who have proper reason to clear my doubt. IS IT WRONG TO GIVE OUR TITHE TO THE POOR?
The bible says "pay your tithe unto the Lord." The Lord himself says "what so ever You do to the least of my brothers, That You do unto me" in essence, giving your tithe to the poor and needy is giving your tithe to God... OP... Your mind is leading you on the right part... Follow you heart for I want to believe it is God that speaks to you...
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by anibi9674: 8:46am On Jan 18, 2015
we hv tithe nd we hv charity giving . they r two different things .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by tck2000(m): 10:06am On Sep 01, 2019
i wonder too
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by silibaba: 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2019
Fhemmmy:

Yes, give to the poor, but not your tithe . . . when you give to the poor, you lend to the Lord, and He will surprise you
Lies

Pls give both to the poor and needy.

Whatsoever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by silibaba: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
Pastors should engage in one profession or skill or the other and stop being lazy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / Prophetic Picture Of The 2016 By D.K OLUKOYA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.