Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,242 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (58753 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by FlyboyZee: 10:47am On Oct 18, 2012
taigee: God is a God of order.
He says bring your tithe to the priest (your pastor)
He say also remember the poor always and give them of your substance.
Its purely two different things don't be hypocritical like Judas here.

Joh 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
Joh 12:2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
Joh 12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
Joh 12:4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
Joh 12:5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
Joh 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
Joh 12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
Joh 12:8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

You may not like the idea of taking your tithe to your Pastor, but that's God's commandment.

Neh 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.

Your blessing is in obedience.

Take a second look at the bolded. God instructed specifically on what one's tithe should be. God did not ask them to bring money into the chambers even though at that time, money (denaris, shekels, etc) were being used as means of exchange. Now, let me ask you this. Would your Pastor (so-called Priest) accept agricultural products as your tithe? I don't think so. If you are in doubt, ask Joagbaje. I rest my case.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by joe4christ(m): 10:49am On Oct 18, 2012
A-ZeD:
[size=15pt]Everybody who has supported tithing has quoted Malachi 3:10 only;[/size]
@Fhemmmy and all tithers in the house please answer my questions

1)Who was God talking to in Malachi? (pls read from Malachi 1)
2)If you say people give their tithes to God and not the pastor why is it a problem giving it to God through a poor man?
3)2 Cor 9:7 Says every man should give as he desires in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity(compulsion): for God loves a cheerful give. Why was the bolded included if tithes where compulsory?
4)In all of Jesus teachings as regard giving, it was give to the poor/people who can't repay you e.t.c not once did he mention church. Why?
5)what does Matthew 25:35-40 mean?
6)In the time of Malachi, any where the ark of the covenant was kept became the temple. Today the temple is our hearts so why does paying my tithes have to be in a church? (Hint: understand question 3, reaad question 6 very well)
7)Abraham paid his tithes from the spoils of war not his wealth so why should i pay mine from my salary?
8}Abraham was already rich before he paid his tithes, Jesus said seek yee the Kingdom of heaven and its righteousness and [b]everything [/b]shall be given unto you. Why do i have to pay tithes to be blessed when christ says all i need to be blessed is to seek heaven? (Hint: understand question 1)
9)Can anyone of you explain Hebrews 7?
10)Which of the apostles paid tithes?

Thanks

[size=15pt]Here are lists of all the bible verses from the Old and New
Testament that are about tithing.
[/size]

Genesis 14:20 – Melchizedek comes out to meet
Abraham, as Abraham gives him a tithe of the spoils of
his victory.
Genesis 28:20-22 – After the vision of God’s renewed
covenant, Jacob initiates a covenant with God vowing to
give him a tithe of what he receives from the promised
land.
Leviticus 27:30-32 – The specifications of the tithe is
introduced into the law of Moses.
Numbers 18:20-32 – The tithe is dedicated the Levites for
the work in the tabernacle.
Deuteronomy 12:5-11 – God gives instructions for what
to do with the tithe once Israel crosses the Jordan.
Deuteronomy 14:22-29 – God gives instructions on how
to disperse and exchange the tithe.
Deuteronomy 26:12-15 – God gives instructions on how
Israel should sanctify the tithe before they can ask for a
blessing.
2 Chronicles 31:5-12 – The children of Israel do what’s
right under the reign of Hezekiah, and bring the tithes to
the designated places.
Nehemiah 10:37-38 – Israel obeys God and brings the
tithes to the storehouse.
Nehemiah 12:44 – Officers were appointed to watch over
the tithes in the storehouse.
Nehemiah 13:5-12 – Nehemiah cleanses the storehouse
and kicks Tobiah out of the room that was designated to
store the tithe. He then restores order.
Amos 4:4 – God commands Israel to bring back the tithe
and reiterates the curse that is upon them if they don’t.
Malachi 3:8-10 – God reprimands Israel for not delivering
the tithe, and reiterates the blessings and curse that
would be in result of whatever decision they chose.
Matthew 23:23 – Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for not
obeying the weightier matters of the law along with
tithing.
Luke 11:42 – A parallel passage of Matthew 23:23 as Jesus
rebukes the Pharisees for not obeying the weightier
matters of the law along with tithing.
Luke 18:12 – A Pharisee brags about his obedience to the
law and tithing.
Hebrews 7:5-9 – Abraham’s tithe is used to illustrate a
change concerning the priesthood.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 18, 2012
Flyboy Zee:

I know you know so much about cars, but I think tithe is off-limits for you.
Now, please answer these questions objectively to get a true idea of my own school of thought.
1. The Malachi you quoted, was it before Christ's coming or after His coming?
2. When did Christianity began? Was it before Christ or after Christ?
3. What did the New Testament say about the laws now written in the heart of men?
4. Show me in the New Testament where tithing was attached to a blessing?
5. From Malachi, Please describe the store house of the Lord (quote relevant New Testament verses if any to back up your argument).
6. What about the other laws (Drink offering, Burnt Offering, Dedication of the first born male to the Lord, etc) that were given at the time the law of tithing was given, are you still observing them?
7. What did Christ himself say about giving? Did he direct Christians to give to a particular person(s) or group?
8. By the way, What is Christianity? Is it bound by Laws or by Grace?
9. What is the utmost aim of Christianity? is it to receive earthly blessings or to make heaven in the end?

Until you answer these questions with relevant bible quotations (New Testament), you may just be walking with the Anti-Christs straight to hell with your bible in your hands and your eyes wide open. Don't let anybody deceive you with their talks, read the bible its always there for you.
@flyboy pls, don't get agitated,though many will considering what is happening today in Nigeria especially, but i learnt a lot of things from Matthew 23:23 and this is Jesus speaking:- "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former".
His last words there said without neglecting the former which is the tithe. BUT, salvation and doing Justice is more important. showing mercy also is very important, which is like helping the poor.
What i see most pastors do today is that they don't care whether you are born again or not, but they just want your tithe. Salvation should be first and others follow.
The bible says Seek you first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all other things will be added to it.
First you seek the kingdom of God.
Secondly, you can pay tithe and have mercy on the needy without neglecting any. if you are not blessed to pay tithe, don't pay. A man that doesn't have an income cannot pay tithe of mint or farm produce.
What they pay as tithe before to the Levite like food stuff etc has been replaced by salary of today. The Catholic church is the oldest christian church,That i know, i might be wrong, and they brought the tithing to the Levite as harvest of today because they started with people that their main source of income is farming and trading.
Many pastors misuse tithe! i agree, my own is to pay it, free my mind and let them use it right. i will not judge them if they use it wrongly, God will surely do.
And Christianity is first to make heaven and other blessings that will make you leave a stress free life will follow on earth.
Burnt offerings and drink offerings and first child dedication has been taken over by Christ, he is the first of the begotten. Christian dedicate all their children now but no more burnt or drink offering cos the blood of Christ is washing us everyday.
@A-Zed, did the Levite pay tithe from war? it is not only from war! what that symbolizes is that he received a blessing from the war, going and coming with even more, and he paid from the spoil of the war which is not his' at the beginning but gained from the battle.
If you won't pay from salary what do you want to pay from? that is the job you do just like people b4 now farms, trade, sell etc.
I believe for me, that what Jesus say in Matthew 23:23 is enough for me to continue to pay. if i don't have any income today, surely i will not pay. SALVATION IS IMPORTANT FIRST FOR YOU TO SEE THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 11:09am On Oct 18, 2012
joe4christ:

[/size]

his victory.
land.
blessing.
the designated places.
tithing.
law and tithing.
Abraham paid his tithes not from his wealth but from the spoils of war so why would you tell me to pay from my salary?
Jacob promised to give GOD. God did not ask. You can promise to give GOD.... its not compulsory
Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42 Jesus rebukes the pharisees for paying tithes and ignoring the most important part of the law(Faith, mercy and justice). How does this equate to Jesus saying we should pay tithes?
Amos 4:4 Come to bethel and transgress; at gilgal multiply transgression and bring your sacrifices every morning and your TITHES AFTER 3 YEARS.
Remember all those parts also requires sacrifice so do you offer sacrifice?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by joe4christ(m): 11:16am On Oct 18, 2012
gzib:
@flyboy pls, don't get agitated,though many will considering what is happening today in Nigeria especially, but i learnt a lot of things from Matthew 23:23 and this is Jesus speaking:- "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former".
His last words there said without neglecting the former which is the tithe. BUT, salvation and doing Justice is more important. showing mercy also is very important, which is like helping the poor.
What i see most pastors do today is that they don't care whether you are born again or not, but they just want your tithe. Salvation should be first and others follow.
The bible says Seek you first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all other things will be added to it.
First you seek the kingdom of God.
Secondly, you can pay tithe and have mercy on the needy without neglecting any. if you are not blessed to pay tithe, don't pay. A man that doesn't have an income cannot pay tithe of mint or farm produce.
What they pay as tithe before to the Levite like food stuff etc has been replaced by salary of today. The Catholic church is the oldest christian church,That i know, i might be wrong, and they brought the tithing to the Levite as harvest of today because they started with people that their main source of income is farming and trading.
Many pastors misuse tithe! i agree, my own is to pay it, free my mind and let them use it right. i will not judge them if they use it wrongly, God will surely do.
And Christianity is first to make heaven and other blessings that will make you leave a stress free life will follow on earth.
Burnt offerings and drink offerings and first child dedication has been taken over by Christ, he is the first of the begotten. Christian dedicate all their children now but no more burnt or drink offering cos the blood of Christ is washing us everyday.
@A-Zed, did the Levite pay tithe from war? it is not only from war! what that symbolizes is that he received a blessing from the war, going and coming with even more, and he paid from the spoil of the war which is not his' at the beginning but gained from the battle.
If you won't pay from salary what do you want to pay from? that is the job you do just like people b4 now farms, trade, sell etc.
I believe for me, that what Jesus say in Matthew 23:23 is enough for me to continue to pay. if i don't have any income today, surely i will not pay. SALVATION IS IMPORTANT FIRST FOR YOU TO SEE THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

God bless you bro, u indeed have the wisdom of God at work in u, i can sense it from your comment, i for the best have given them scriptural proof that it's not only the book of malachi that talked about tithing neither is it only the old testament that also does, i gave them scriptural backing from new testament, but yet most wont believe even if an angel should appear before them.
The wisdom of men will always seem wise but end up leading to ''wide path that leads to destruction'' while the wisdom of God might sound and look foolish to the world but ''it's the very saving power of God unto life eternal''

enough have been said by me, let me give it a break!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 11:28am On Oct 18, 2012
joe4christ:

No, you go back and check my response to that question, my pastor is not my teacher, the holy spirit is, i guess that's the difference between you and i, i listen to the holy spirit unvailing mysteries of the kindom of God while you listen to the wisdom of men the bible says will fail.
Who do you listen to?

I hope the mysteries you receive is in line with what is written in the bible. The bible contains the word of God and if what you receive is contrary to the word of God...hope you know what it means.

There are so many spirits of deceit. They don't mind making it look godly just to get you. Just beware.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by joe4christ(m): 11:33am On Oct 18, 2012
A-ZeD:

Abraham paid his tithes not from his wealth but from the spoils of war so why would you tell me to pay from my salary?
Jacob promised to give GOD. God did not ask. You can promise to give GOD.... its not compulsory
Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42 Jesus rebukes the pharisees for paying tithes and ignoring the most important part of the law(Faith, mercy and justice). [size=15pt]How does this equate to Jesus saying we should pay tithes?
[/size]
Amos 4:4 Come to bethel and transgress; at gilgal multiply transgression and bring your sacrifices every morning and your TITHES AFTER 3 YEARS.

And why do i sense you trying to dodge the other part of that verse where he said [size=15pt]You should have
practiced the latter, without neglecting the former".[/size]
His last words there said without neglecting the
former which is the tithe. BUT, salvation and doing
Justice is more important. showing mercy also is very
important, which is like helping the poor.
Why do you twist the scripture just to suite yourself really?
Have you forgotten the very word of our lord when he said - Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I
did not come to abolish the law of Moses
or the writings of the prophets. No, I
came to accomplish their purpose.''

I did'nt say the above, he said it so please, let's get it right while there's still opportunity to.
God bless!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2012
joe4christ:

And why do i sense you trying to dodge the other part of that verse where he said [size=15pt]You should have
Have you forgotten the very word of our lord when he said - Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I

I did'nt say the above, he said it so please, let's get it right while there's still opportunity to.
God bless!!!
I'm not trying to ignore anything. Its you. Jesus observed the sabbath, celebrated passover all biblical. Do you practice those too?
The law of Moses requires giving burnt sacrifices... Do you do that? If not why?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 11:43am On Oct 18, 2012
I've never said tithing is wrong. Jesus says we should give with our hearts not grudgingly or out of compulsion. So i encourage people to give. Whatever name you call it(Tithe, offering, seed na you sabi.) its your choice.

On a side note, Jesus said give to the poor so many times but he never said give the {insert any name} to the poor. The key word was/is give not the name of what you are giving.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Boomark(m): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2012
joe4christ:

[/size]

his victory.
land.
blessing.
the designated places.
tithing.
law and tithing.

Good! A change in priesthood. Can you honestly tell us who is now the priest according Hebrew.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Mintayo(m): 11:47am On Oct 18, 2012
Pastor Kun: @Joe4christ
There is absolutely no way you would have the holy spirit within you and you would teach/preach the fraudulent doctrine of tithes which denies the saving grace of our lord Jesus christ and attempts to make his final sacrifice in vain. I put it to you with all due respect that all you have written up here are pathological lies. God NEVER requested tithes of christians and no matter how much you try to manipulate sccriptures and lie to us that the holy spirit talks to you, the word of God would NEVER change. You seriously need to repent.

I hope the pastor behind your name is real,otherwise you will not be talking to a brother like that!
I totally support Him,i don't know why we christains are so short-sighted,trying to explain the things of God with reasoning when Jesus said the Holy Spirit will lead us in all truth!
If you have the Holy Spirit with you,you will seek His help and He will lead you to all truth as joe4christ has said!
Let the Holy Spirit guide you/us,not your reasoning or your pastor! I believe you don't have the Holy Spirit within you because if you do,you will not b talking like this!
I believe the problem of every1 here is not abt paying the tithe but we have problems with pastor enriching themselves by 'commanding' people to pay tithe, and if we have the Holy Spirit within us we will know that it is non of our business to know or find out what our pastors are doing with our tithe(that is if we are paying) and i know that is why most of us are in different bondage bcus of our lack of understanding of the efficacy of tithe paying!
Note that your tithe is not a tithe until you give it in your place of worship!
It is not a tithe until it passes through a priest(pastor etc)!
It is not a tithe until you have an understanding(believe in) of what you are doing!
It is not a tithe until you give it with an open mind(not thinking abt what ur pastor will do with it)!
Tithe is not a debt you owe and pay,it is a seed you sow!

Lets us check our heart and lives(especially those of us that don't pay tithe),somethings will be lacking in our lives expect we pay our tithe to God!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by simeonabio(m): 11:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Giving our tithe to the poor is biblical and bible base idea
Deut 26;11
when thou hast made an end of tithing all tithes of thines increase the third year year, which is the year of tithing, and given it unto the levite, the stranger, the fatherless and the widows, that they may eat within thy gates and be filled.

So i believe that tithe is not for church only but to the shared among the said people listed in the verse above. You can read more from the book leviticus and Deuteronomy to understanding more

And for those who claim that tithe is old testament, they should stop claiming promises from the old testament!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by gr8mee(f): 11:53am On Oct 18, 2012
Paying of tithe is an instruction from the bible, why ask if you should pay to the church? You are suppose to pay 10% of what you receive, after paying 10% you still have the rest with you, so why not give the poor from the remaining? Why must it be your tithe that you should give to the poor? I put it to you that you normally don't like paying your tithe to church so you're using the poor as an excuse
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by ogene007: 12:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
Christians who insist on tithing should also obey the entire law of Moses. They cannot 'cherry-pick' aspects of the law to obey and the ones not to obey. Christ's death and resurrection ushered in the new covenant symbolized by the curtain to the holy of holies being torn. You cannot claim to have been saved by grace through Christ Jesus while still living under the law. People out of their love for money are trying to import into christianity all the aspects of the old testament that talks about giving.The bible has made it completely clear that we are saved by grace that came through Christ Jesus and not by works (observance of the law of Moses). Today:
a. The levitical priesthood has given way to the priesthood of all believers.
b. The temple of God no longer is identified with a place both within individuals who because they have yielded themselves to the holy Spirit now have their bodies as the temple of the holy Spirit.
c. The law of tit-for-tat or 'do me I do you' has given way to the requirement to love one's enemies and pray for those who have hurt us.
d. Physical circumcision as a means of being identified as a member of God's people has been replaced with the circumcision of the heart through genuine repentance and acceptance of Christ Jesus as Lord and saviour, now the requirement to be a member of God's people.
e. Tithing 10% of one's earnings has given way to charity which has no percentage tied to it.

I can go on and on, but let me stop here.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 12:04pm On Oct 18, 2012
gzib:

Jesus never said for you to pay tithe in matt 23:23. Why are you spreading falsehood. He rebuked the pharisees for paying tithe to the smallest details and forsaking more important things to God like mercy and judgement. He said they should have done that along with their tithing because they were still in the time of the law. Jesus lived in the time of the law. The law ended when he died and rose again. His resurrection ushered in the new testament. Jesus was the fufillment of the law. He ended the levitical priesthood!

So please how did he say we should pay tithe in Matt 23:23? He was speaking to the pharisees, not a new testament believer. Have you ever asked why tithing was never instructed in the new testament? Does that not bother you as a believer? You are following an old testament law and ignoring many others. That according to Paul is entangling yourself with the yoke of bondage Gal 5:1

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by AZeD1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
Mintayo:

I hope the pastor behind your name is real,otherwise you will not be talking to a brother like that!
I totally support Him,i don't know why we christains are so short-sighted,trying to explain the things of God with reasoning when Jesus said the Holy Spirit will lead us in all truth!
If you have the Holy Spirit with you,you will seek His help and He will lead you to all truth as joe4christ has said!
Let the Holy Spirit guide you/us,not your reasoning or your pastor! I believe you don't have the Holy Spirit within you because if you do,you will not b talking like this!
I believe the problem of every1 here is not abt paying the tithe but we have problems with pastor enriching themselves by 'commanding' people to pay tithe, and if we have the Holy Spirit within us we will know that it is non of our business to know or find out what our pastors are doing with our tithe(that is if we are paying) and i know that is why most of us are in different bondage bcus of our lack of understanding of the efficacy of tithe paying!
It is not a tithe until you have an understanding(believe in) of what you are doing!
It is not a tithe until you give it with an open mind(not thinking abt what ur pastor will do with it)!
Tithe is not a debt you owe and pay,it is a seed you sow!

Lets us check our heart and lives(especially those of us that don't pay tithe),somethings will be lacking in our lives expect we pay our tithe to God!

When two or three are gathered in my name, i am there... So my place of worship can be under the bridge with two beggars.
Its not a tithe until it passed through a pastor? I thought we were all pastors called to proclaim the good news..

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 12:07pm On Oct 18, 2012
gr8mee: Paying of tithe is an instruction from the bible, why ask if you should pay to the church? You are suppose to pay 10% of what you receive, after paying 10% you still have the rest with you, so why not give the poor from the remaining? Why must it be your tithe that you should give to the poor? I put it to you that you normally don't like paying your tithe to church so you're using the poor as an excuse

This is a very childish answer. That you like giving your tithe doesn't make it right. The bible never said you should do it. You are going against scriptures. You should repent
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 18, 2012
joe4christ:

God bless!!!

in which case, I can also buy a bottle of brandy with my tithes and plenty of good food as the bible says we should , no ?

"25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household" - Deuteronomy 14:25-26

I mean if we are going to practise tithing we must do it with 100% accuracy , right ?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 12:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
Mintayo:

I think this is where the whole error is coming from!

A pastor is not a priest! This is a very serious error you are preaching. You are negating your salvation by saying a pastor is a priest. That means, your pastor is now a mediator bewteen you and God. That means your pastor is taking the place of the Lord Jesus! That is heresy.

In the new testament, every believer is a priest and a king. Rev 5:10, I peter 2:9. The pastor is a leader in a local assembly. One that helps direct and build God's people, not a priest over them. This is serious error you are preaching!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by StOla: 12:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
To answer Joe4Christ, the passage in Matthew about the pharisee not ignoring the former(like tithes), was made while Jesus Christ was yet alive, as such the law was still in full effect. The chapters 7,8,9,10 in Hebrews(which refers to certain old testament text fore-telling the future covenant in Christ) informs us that it is with the blood of the TESTATOR that a covenant is born. The testator-Christ died on the cross and at that moment the NEW COVENANT God himself promised was established, even the curtain to the innermost and holiest room of the temple was torn apart. God had promised that with the New Covenant, the old covenant stands nullified, that no more will sacrifices, offerings, burnt offerings and all that had been done which couldn't even bring atonement, be of any further need. All these were GOD'S OWN WORD. That Christ is now resurrected and reigns, so does the NEW COVENANT NOW REIGN, but not while Christ yet lived as the son of MAN. God has abolished all laws as it brought no justification, so do u know more than God?
Even Jews no-longer pay tithes as the Levites are not in existence. So whats the Christian's bussiness with tithes. Please contact the Jews so they educate u about what tithes is about, and why it was meant for the Levites who had no inheritance of the land, and were forsworn from doing any work outside of the God's work. Now relate it to present "MOG" who have more earthly possessions than the congragation, or the part-time pastor who works in a bank or civil-service or oil&gas, only to come collect your tithes at the month end. The Xtian scripture(NEW TESTAMENT) teaches us to give not out of necessity, but cheerfully, and to care for our neighbours as that will be done for Christ. That is the christian commission. I boldly say that anyone THIEF parading himself as a Levite should go look for a Jew to collect tithes from, and not from a true CHRISTIAN. So much for "bible believing church", and "bible study"

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 12:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
simeonabio:
And for those who claim that tithe is old testament, they should stop claiming promises from the old testament!

It is not a claim. It is old testament just like circumcision! It is not every promise in the old testament that applies to you. There are promises in the old testament that apply to only the jews. Do you know there is a blessing attached to circumcision? The Word of God does not bend to the sentiments of men. Tithing is wrong and not for a new testament believer. That you give it and it works does not make it right. The disciples of Jesus never practised it. They practised giving. Some sold lands and brought it all. No one gave tithes and they prospered. Attaching anything to God's blessings negates grace and gives you a platform to boast according to Eph 2. That's what the pharisee did and Jesus called him a fool!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Joagbaje(m): 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Gerrout! Thief, Tithe Fraud!
Lol.......I would rather burn in hell than share heaven with a thief like you. Pastors like you are evil

Take it easy. You dont have to burn in hell because of my post . Take it or leave it . Just move on .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
Joagbaje:

Take it easy. You dont have to burn in hell because of my post . Take it or leave it . Just move on .

lol....sorry, I dont go easy on frauds destroying our people with destructive doctrines like tithing
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by benbrains(m): 1:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
Tithe is simply a one-tenth part of something, which could be your earnings, income...etc
There are obviously ten of this one-tenth in every income or earnings, you can however choose to whom you want to give yours.
For those of us in the faith we have chosen to give ours to the church from where we get words that bless us. (Mal 3:10). Some of us have even gone as far as giving sth much more than the tithe of our income/earnings (to the church and to the poor).
For your financial security pay your tithe to the church (if you attend one) and perhaps some other part to the poor).
Finally, the bible says, he that giveth to the poor lendeth to the lord, and he that giveth to a prophet receiveth a propheic reward.
Be smart, choose wisely, choose a better financial future.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by expertfingers(m): 1:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
The term tithe or tithing in new testament Church of Christ
is a misnomer.

Critical look of the book of Acts(of the Apostles) where the foundation of
the church was laid shows there was no reference to tithe.

However there was giving. Giving to spiritual leaders,widows, strangers
and the poor etc. This giving was based on freewill and NOT a mandatory percentage.

I have no problem with tithing because I know the church needs money for its various operations
but one gets worried when you hear things like, "If you do not tithe things will be tight for you"!
Or when you hear, "You will bring curse upon yourself".

Giving should be out of love and honour for God. It should not be out of FEAR!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 1:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
benbrains: Tithe is simply a one-tenth part of something, which could be your earnings, income...etc
There are obviously ten of this one-tenth in every income or earnings, you can however choose to whom you want to give yours.
For those of us in the faith we have chosen to give ours to the church from where we get words that bless us. (Mal 3:10). Some of us have even gone as far as giving sth much more than the tithe of our income/earnings (to the church and to the poor).
For your financial security pay your tithe to the church (if you attend one) and perhaps some other part to the poor).
Finally, the bible says, he that giveth to the poor lendeth to the lord, and he that giveth to a prophet receiveth a propheic reward.

Is this what your bible says or your opinion? Mal 3:10 does not say so.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 18, 2012
benbrains: Tithe is simply a one-tenth part of something, which could be your earnings, income...etc

One word to reply :

FRAUD !!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
A-ZeD:

Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42 Jesus rebukes the pharisees for paying tithes and ignoring the most important part of the law(Faith, mercy and justice). How does this equate to Jesus saying we should pay tithes?

Please educate me more on this, the spoil of war was what?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Please educate me more on this, the spoil of war was what?

There was no other example of Abraham paying tithes. When God discussed his covenant elaborately with Abraham, he never mentioned tithes. Abraham never instructed his children to pay tithes. It was only mentioned once and it was the spoils of war. He didn't even collect the remaining part of the spoils. The Israelites never paid tithe till the levites were separated from the remaining tribes unto God. And they didn't actually start paying tithes to the levites until they reached the promised land!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 2:23pm On Oct 18, 2012
thelastPope:

There was no other example of Abraham paying tithes. When God discussed his covenant elaborately with Abraham, he never mentioned tithes. Abraham never instructed his children to pay tithes. It was only mentioned once and it was the spoils of war. He didn't even collect the remaining part of the spoils. The Israelites never paid tithe till the levites were separated from the remaining tribes unto God. And they didn't actually start paying tithes to the levites until they reached the promised land!

The kinda of sacrifices that Abraham did, could you get close to it?
When God told him to get up and go to lands he never knew, could you? When he told him to go and sacrifice his child, could you even think of it?
It is easier for us to pick and chose what part of the bible that is fun to us and yet leave the other?

If we wanna follow the example of what someone did, we shd be willing to follow it all the way . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by GoldenLady1: 2:28pm On Oct 18, 2012
I've done this on a number of occasions. Each time I received unexpected blessings. Anyways, the church is not the building it's the people.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by thelastPope(m): 2:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

The kinda of sacrifices that Abraham did, could you get close to it?
When God told him to get up and go to lands he never knew, could you? When he told him to go and sacrifice his child, could you even think of it?
It is easier for us to pick and chose what part of the bible that is fun to us and yet leave the other?

If we wanna follow the example of what someone did, we shd be willing to follow it all the way . . .

I don't get you sorry. Are you saying because Abraham did great sacrifices, he was exempted from tithes or what? Are you saying I should pay tithes because I didn't do as much sacrifice as Abraham? I don't get it

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Prophetic Picture Of The 2016 By D.K OLUKOYA / "Pastor Poured Liquid In My Private Part"; Woman Injured After Deliverance. PICS / Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.