Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,924 members, 7,952,720 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe (6739 Views)

Humility? Orji Uzor Kalu Caught On Camera Arranging Plastic Chairs In A Gatherin / My Experience With The Police That Shows They Lack Basic Training / Nigeria Politician Agree They Lack What It Takes To Survive Outside Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by bittyend(m): 11:58pm On Oct 16, 2012
“I will be the first to concede that the Igbo as a group is not without its flaws. Its success can and did carry deadly penalties: the dangers of hubris, overweening pride, and thoughtlessness, which invite envy and hatred or, even worse, than can obsess the mind with material success and dispose it to all kinds of crude showiness. There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behavior that can offend by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness.” - Chinua Achebe

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by bittyend(m): 12:00am On Oct 17, 2012
I'm starting to like this man again. He's not that bitter after all. cheesy

I'm back to my Igbo girls. cool

8 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by woky: 12:07am On Oct 17, 2012
he is a fool
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 17, 2012
Senility seems to be the right word.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by EkoAtlantic: 12:17am On Oct 17, 2012
It's as if old age has set in big time. angry

This man words are beginning to have some questionable phrases of recent.
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by bittyend(m): 12:20am On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Atlantic: It's as if old age has set in big time. angry

This man words are beginning to have some questionable phrases of recent.

Are you Eko_ile's alter ego? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by EkoAtlantic: 12:25am On Oct 17, 2012
bittyend:

Are you Eko_ile's alter ego? undecided

Negative
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by EkoAtlantic: 12:33am On Oct 17, 2012
Viewing this topic: Eko Ile, Eko Atlantic

Say something

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by bittyend(m): 12:33am On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Atlantic: wink

Negative

You have got some luscious lips... Dammit..

What's the body structure saying? - Big batty and DDs, yeah?

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by EkoAtlantic: 12:35am On Oct 17, 2012
bittyend:

You have got some luscious lips... Dammit..

What's the body structure saying? - Big batty and DDs, yeah?

Hun?!
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by EkoAtlantic: 12:39am On Oct 17, 2012
Correct

Ask Dayo
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by buffny: 4:57am On Oct 18, 2012
at least the man knows his people well.

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Rossikk(m): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2012
This Achebe is too focused on ethnicity. Igbos are like this. Yorubas did that. Hausas said this. It's reprehensible, really, especially for a man of his age.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by naptu2: 7:38am On Oct 18, 2012
Rossikk: This Achebe is too focused on ethnicity. Igbos are like this. Yorubas did that. Hausas said this. It's reprehensible, really, especially for a man of his age.

+100000000000
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by ichidodo: 7:59am On Oct 18, 2012
YEEAAAH! U CANNOT KEEP THE IGBO PEOPLE DOWN. WE ROCK! THE YERIBA SHEEPLE CAN LINE-UP AND SUCK MY DIICK.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by kettykin: 8:03am On Oct 18, 2012
woky: he is a fool
if he is a fool at least you that is wise should write your own Novel or Memoir and lets see how many copies will sell that is even if a publisher agrees to publish

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Sealeddeal(m): 8:07am On Oct 18, 2012
.i beg to differ with Achebe.Achebe should not justify an attack on Igbos on their showiness.i dnt believe that Igbos are not humble.Igbos are humble.dats why they do some menial works that some sections of nigeria would not do.Being adventurous cant be termed pride.
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by nku5: 8:10am On Oct 18, 2012
Yeah right like he's the only nigeran focused on ethnicity. The yoruba nation is up in arms against the man for saying something about their god awolowo, so they try to label him a tribalst who hates yorubas. The man makes a negative comment about hs own people una still dey complain. At least he is big enough to expose his own.

Rossikk: This Achebe is too focused on ethnicity. Igbos are like this. Yorubas did that. Hausas said this. It's reprehensible, really, especially for a man of his age.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 18, 2012
We are yet to see this level of sincerity in any Yoruba, Hausa, Tiv or other tribesman.

Unless and until we can approach this level of sincerity, WE WILL GO NOWHERE as a (yeye) country

6 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by priory: 8:29am On Oct 18, 2012
bittyend: “I will be the first to concede that the Igbo as a group is not without its flaws. Its success can and did carry deadly penalties: the dangers of hubris, overweening pride, and thoughtlessness, which invite envy and hatred or, even worse, than can obsess the mind with material success and dispose it to all kinds of crude showiness. There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behavior that can offend by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness.” - Chinua Achebe

SOURCE pls

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by naptu2: 8:30am On Oct 18, 2012
When will we be mentally liberated

"Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility"

Some "Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility"

All "Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility"

Are Igbos the only ones who are "Noisy Exhibitionists & Lack Humility"?

Could it be that it's about the individual's behaviour, rather than the ethnic group? Did God impute Noisy Exhibitionists & Lack of Humility into ethnic group A when he created them and impute another characteristic into ethnic group B?

When will the bigotry and stereotyping end?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by saintneo(m): 8:43am On Oct 18, 2012
bittyend: “I will be the first to concede that the Igbo as a group is not without its flaws. Its success can and did carry deadly penalties: the dangers of hubris, overweening pride, and thoughtlessness, which invite envy and hatred or, even worse, than can obsess the mind with material success and dispose it to all kinds of crude showiness. There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behavior that can offend by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness.” - Chinua Achebe
As an Igbo dude, I approve of this quote by Chinua Achebe.

Many Igbo people might be against this, but a candid look at our noisy brothers will tell a different story. Once I was in a birthday party organised for an Igbo priest in Notts. There were people of different races, tribes, colours, heights, sizes and many other description. Usual, party styles, people taking the microphone to express their wishes for the birthday dude. One typical-egoistic-slowpoke from the my beloved tribe Igbo took the microphone to start blabbing about the success of Igbos, how we survived the Biafran war by fight Nigeria, GB and USSR combined, how we are Israelites of Africa, how we are the most intelligent of the entire Nigeria, Africa and the entire Universe. I was so ashamed of being an Igbo, a Nigerian, an African, a Christian and most of all a human being. Even, a Rwandan friend and his family came to me to express their disgust in the steeeewpid utterances of this fellow; I wondered what would be going through the minds of the Yorubas in the party, even the white folks as well(I pray they never understood his words because of his deep Igbo accent).

Nevertheless, this problem is not particular with Igbo people; it is in Yoruba, it is in Hausa, it is in every tribe, group, race, etc. It is high time we encourage tolerance and humility amongst ourselves.

18 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by 1soul(m): 9:02am On Oct 18, 2012
No matter how we look at it......Chinua Achebe has overcome all these our foolish tribalistic bigotry. The man is my Hero!

**I'm a citizen of the world, to hell with all you tribal war mongers#

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 9:24am On Oct 18, 2012
I guess some people that disagreed with Achebe as it concerns Awolowo will agree with him on this. That's how hypocritical we are.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by sweetgala(m): 10:28am On Oct 18, 2012
saintneo:

Many Igbo people might be against this, but a candid look at our noisy brothers will tell a different story. Once I was in a birthday party organised for an Igbo priest in Notts. There were people of different races, tribes, colours, heights, sizes and many other description. Usual, party styles, people taking the microphone to express their wishes for the birthday dude. One typical-egoistic-slowpoke from the my beloved tribe Igbo took the microphone to start blabbing about the success of Igbos, how we survived the Biafran war by fight Nigeria, GB and USSR combined, how we are Israelites of Africa, how we are the most intelligent of the entire Nigeria, Africa and the entire Universe. I was so ashamed of being an Igbo, a Nigerian, an African, a Christian and most of all a human being. Even, a Rwandan friend and his family came to me to express their disgust in the steeeewpid utterances of this fellow; I wondered what would be going through the minds of the Yorubas in the party, even the white folks as well(I pray they never understood his words because of his deep Igbo accent).

Nevertheless, this problem is not particular with Igbo people; it is in Yoruba, it is in Hausa, it is in every tribe, group, race, etc. It is high time we encourage tolerance and humility amongst ourselves.

You have echoed my sincere feelings, I have several igbo friends some very fantastic people , however whenever I visit their home and have to put up with their sob story of biafra which I almost always feel is dispelled with excusable anger, I feel as thou my person is being attacked For merely being yoruba. A yoruba man would never honour his guest by gloating about the evils of the civil war or attribute his success as an individual to his tribe, if at all he would attribute such to his community, an ijebu man would talk of being a strong ijebu man but dispel the notion being better because he is yoruba.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by gidiMonsta(m): 10:40am On Oct 18, 2012
saintneo:

This hilarious grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by nku5: 11:19am On Oct 18, 2012
Yes very hilarious. Hahaha! Now what about your own ppl are they perfect? Why not say something about your own tribe that is negative but true make others laugh small bros

gidiMonsta:

This hilarious grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by abouzaid: 1:14pm On Oct 18, 2012
Op pls give us ur source though i believe he might say that. The guy don't mince words and have grown above tribal bickerings.
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Noiseless2: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
Yes! What Achebe said is what Igbos say about themselves,we call a spade a spade period, while some neigbours are busy hiding the irritating behaviors about their tribe including noisy and gloating at Igbos about millions of Igbos they murdered during Biafra war. And not forgetting our millions they looted to buy themselves wuru wuru living and over night owembe party.
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
Whatever catches his fancy.....he can ramble about.

We are not ready to validate his rants.
Re: Igbos Are Noisy Exhibitionists & They Lack Humility And Quietness - Achebe by T9ksy(m): 5:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
Abi ojare! Just another ranting of an ant.

ilugunboy: Whatever catches his fancy.....he can ramble about.

We are not ready to validate his rants.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Download Video, Boko Haram Beheads 20 People Sends Video To FG / Investment Inflows Declined By N2.18tn In 2015 – National Bureau Of Statistics / What Happened When Germany Increased Fuel Prices. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.