Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,031 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir (19874 Views)

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by phreakabit(m): 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
This is one Yoruba man, who shall forever have my respect. An absolute rare gem amongst his kind.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
[quote author=gurujoe]God bless Biafra
God bless Achebe
God bless Soyinka
God bless Ojukwu
God bless Fela
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ZeusI: 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
Why would any learned/ reasonable person, object to the irrefutable point made by a globally respected individual(Achebe)? Soyinka has opposed the inane activity of barbaric Awo and his blind followers during their show of genocidal capability in stern imitation of Hitler's mass murder of jews. Awo has become an ash already in the deepest section of hell with his likes who constitutes the most repulsive prisoners of devil. Nevertheless, among the heathen, a saint usually spring up, and soyinka and his family will be vindicated from the fate that awaits the barbarians(yorubas).

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
Decryptor: Now that you have seen the right link, go jump off the third mainland bridge

That's the problem with you losers. The story is out there and we've discussed it already, th right link is available in the other thread, but you clown are just too useless, you can not read, comprehend and do the most basic thing like looking for and copying a simple link.

Your bogus link and the right link and it's content still doesn't reflect the bogus and deceptive title so don't look before you hop off that bridge into the lagoon ...
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ba7man(m): 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2012
I just wished these Old Nobel lauretes will let this case rest. Pointing fingers after 40years??...The people that carried out whatever they're being accused of are dead!!!...What's next
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ABAKA72(m): 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
staaari: There was no sentence to show that Soyinka backed the Achebe statement that 'Awolowo committed GENOCIDE against the IGBOs'

Yes, a lot of IGBO died but NO, Awolowo did not and is not responsible for their death!

So those innocent babies commited suicide abi, my dear stop sweating, "starvation is a legitmate weapon of warfare and I don't see why we will not use it" this statement was not made by Ojukwu, but by somebody you know very well. The plan to starve millions of women and children was a delibratly concieved policy and no amount of gra-gra will change that fact.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Eazeee(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
D ibos killed in 1967 were dey Nigerians? If dey were Biafrans n not nigerians den dat makes dem enemies. I stil c no reason y Nigerians wil b accused of starving Biafrans who are enemies of Nigerians. We can as wel b responsible 4 starving Niger repulic,Chad,Mali wen we can help.dey were notin but ENEMIES

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by rallymento(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile:

He supported ashebe like how? By supporting achebe the failure's lies? Can you please show us how he did that? Delusional people.

And they are not colleagues, they are not mates. One is a Nobel winner and the other is a disgruntled and hate filled tribalistic bigot, a failure and zero nobel winner.

I perceive that you are full of wrath and anger, I think that ur question should be directed to prof. WS.
In-terms of who is better, both are profs. in literature and poetry that is how they became colleague.
Finally, If all yorubas can be little bit like WS and other guys I heard their opinion on this, things would hv been better.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tomakint: 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
shymexx: He said BEFORE the war, not DURING the war...

Everyone knows Wole Soyinka don't really like the Northerners(born to rule mentality) and their religion - and I see why he's biased against them..

Read and read through what you just typed and slap yourself as many times as possible!!! You need quick deliverance just like DayoKanu!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by JimmyBoy1: 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
I cant fault Soyinka's assertion, but I still feel it is better to let bye- gone be bye-gone. Just last week, European Union was giving the Nobel Peace Price Award, because europe has largely healed after WW2. War between UK,France,Germany and Italy, whom were all major players in WW2, is now unimaginable. Therefore we dont need to be retrogressive, and a respected figure should not be the one to stoke fire of what should be rather forgotten.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tplacid: 4:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

Fairness is one of the core values of natural law and a value that should be upheld by humans, Achebe, Soyinka and a couple of others have condemned Awo's 'starvation policy' but it will only be fair if the man(Awo) himself can say something about the 'evil policy' but unfortunately he is dead. Since there is no proof or any written document to support this argument I will render it void until I see an evidence to prove otherwise.

However, most of us on this forum irrespective of tribe or religion have benefited from Awo's legacy( Free Education, OAU, Roads constructed in the western region, etc) so I think it's normal for us to come up with constructive criticism. Just like some us, Awo might done some bad things but we should let the man rest in peace.

Instead of us wasting time and energy on judging one of the greatest Nigerian that ever lived I think we should channel our energy into ways in which our country can be free from tyranny and oppression. Awo fought for independence and left a legacy, it's our duty to honour him by bringing his vision into reality, he hoped and envisioned a Nigeria that works, I see that Nigeria too, I think you should all envision it too.

Even Ojukwu, the instigator of the war had this to say 'Awo is the greatest president Nigeria never had'.

If Awo did implement that policy I would say it was really inhuman of him but there is no text or document to support the claims of those accusations and if there is I want to say am sorry on behalf of the greatest Nigerian I know and to my Igbo brothers I want to say I deeply regret what happened to your tribe during the war and I want to say am sorry.

Now, on behalf of future generations, let's forge ahead and build a nation that will increase their quality of life and thus be proud of.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
Soyinka has said nothing new. There was pogrom before the war that was obviously not committed by Awolowo. Whatever happened to Igbo before the war had to be read side by side with the implications of the first coup. They brought it upon themselves.

During the Biafra war, it has never been in doubt whether there was genocide or not. There was genocide. The question we are answering is simple: who was/is responsible for that genocide? Achebe, who was among the chief propagandists for Bafra, blamed Awo. While facts, actions and narratives from independent writers blamed Ojukwu. Now tell me, which part of this has Soyinka supported? Soyinka himself was imprisoned during the war.

There is difference between brilliance and honesty. Achebe who was a propagandist for Biafra during the war can not suddenly be pretending to be writing an objective history of the war without bias or prejudices. Achebe is lying, pure and simple. Ojukwu rejected Nigerian offer for food to be taken to Biafra, that's on record. Ojukwu rejected offer for food to be airlifted during the day. That's also on record. Ojukwu fed himself and others while masses died of hunger. That can be inferred from images seen after the war. Ojukwu had an obligation to care for his people but did not. Awolowo was under no obligation, real or imaginary, to care for biafrans during the war. They were enemies of Nigerian state.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2012
rallymento:

I perceive that you are full of wrath and anger, I think that ur question should be directed to prof. WS.
In-terms of who is better, both are profs. in literature and poetry that is how they became colleague.
Finally, If all yorubas can be little bit like WS and other guys I heard their opinion on this, things would hv been better.

The only reason you losers keep shouting WS's name is because he's not like your hate filled and angry ashebe. Imagine WS spewing tribalistic and hateful rhetorics like ashebe.

I wonder why you clowns still can not show us where What WS said anything relating to this topic.

You clowns are liars just like your lying, failed and disgruntled ashebe the failure...

Your lying ashebe was one of ojuku's ministers and propagandists. The man is still locked up in biafra war and thinking his propaganda job is still needed. The man is a senile old man filled with hate and anger. A lying old man at 82 years old.. what a shame.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ZeusI: 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
foyeks2001:

What truth? That Awolowo killed them?
I keep wondering what sort of education the yorubas attended that mkes them worse than illiterate, so you do not realise that when WWII is agreed to have taken place, you automatically acquiesces to Hitler's existence and murderous policy. If genocide is accepted as an occurence in Nigeria against the Igbos, you are automatically concuring with the fact of awolowo's crime against humanity; worser than the current act of terrorism perpetuated by Boko Haram. Awo and his tribes men will soon be visited, tenfold, with the nemesis of their actions. Hausas are getting a cup-full of their share.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Afam4eva(m): 4:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile:

The only reason you losers keep shouting WS's name is because he's not like your hate filled and angry ashebe. Imagine WS spewing tribalistic and hateful rhetorics like ashebe.

I wonder why you clowns still can not show us where What WS said anything relating to this topic.

You clowns are liars just like your lying, failed and disgruntled ashebe the failure...
I doubt if the IQ of your entire village can measure to 5% of the IQ Achebe possessed before he wrote "Things fall Apart" not to talk of now...What an elderly Scholar like Achebe will see lying down, a whole village cannot see even if they climb the top of empire state building.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by joseff14(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
I agree

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva:
I doubt if the IQ of your entire village can measure to 5% of the IQ Achebe possessed before he wrote "Things fall Apart" not to talk of now...What an elderly Scholar sees lying down, a whole village cannot see even if they climb the top of empire state building.

Who are the elderly scholars? Ashebe no nobel winning and the lying failure? lmaooooooo.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EzePromoe: 4:47pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile:

Was he too lazy and deceptive to admit that he made a mistake and furnish us the right link instead?
Now you've seen the right link will you label it wrong?
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tomakint: 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
logica: Your papa dey mad. You put up a post. If I quote your post, is it ThisDay that will show? You better go get help at ARO. Please respond very aggressively. E no go better for you if you don't.

Oh you are here quarreling as usual, well here is another link may be it will work this time around; http://allafrica.com/stories/201210170161.html
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by ABAKA72(m): 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
oyebanji: I think Prof meant that the secession bid was justified. He did not comment on the manner the war was fought. I will advice that we understand any article clearly before reaching the wrong conclusions. See BM:

"Writing in certain environments carries with it an occupational risk. When I was imprisoned, without trial, it was as a result of a position I took as a citizen. Of course I used my weapon, which was writing, to express my disapproval of the [Biafran] civil war into which we were about to enter. These were people who’d been abused, who’d undergone genocide, and who felt completely rejected by the rest of the community, and therefore decided to break away and form a nation of its own. Unfortunately, the nature of my imprisonment meant that I couldn’t practise my trade because I was in solitary confinement for 22 months out of the 27, and I was deprived of writing material. So I had to somehow break through the barriers, smuggle in toilet paper, cigarette paper, scribble a few poems, pass messages outside. I was able to undertake exercises to make sure that I emerged from prison intact mentally" W.S. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/9600954/Wole-Soyinka-If-religion-was-taken-away-Id-be-happy.html)
So do you agree with the prof. the secession bid was right.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 4:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Now you've seen the right link will you label it wrong?

Right or wrong link, what I want you and the OP to do is to basically show us where Wole Soyinka said anything relating to this topic and title.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by vexx: 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
9ja_I_hail: I opened this thread thinking by now it would have made front page as the other topic made front page without delay (America blamed Gowon Ojukwu for hungry Biafrans) This Nairaland and moderators are danm bias and unfair to their self not to me.
yea I second ,I think their is something about this forum that is
Not just right.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by Abali1(m): 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
kingingkinging:

PLS TRY TO DISPLAY OBJECTIVITYIN ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS, IT IS A SYMBOL OF HIGH LEVEL OF INTELLECTUALISM. WHO COMMITTED GENOCIDE, OJUKWU, BIAFRA OR NIGERIA. IF U DECIDE TO FIGHT WITH ME, HOW CAN U, AT THE SAME TIME EXPECT ME TO FEED U. FROM MY OWN LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF LOGIC, IT IS NOT RATIONAL. SO, LOGICALLY SPEAKING, OJUKWU KILLED HIS IGBO KINSMEN.

IF THERE WAS NO WAR, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO STARVATION, PAIN, HUNGER, DEATH, ETC. WOULD U EXPECT YOUR ENEMY TO BE FEEDING U? IF U WOULD THEN LET US STOP OUR FIGHT, BUT OJUKWU WOULD RATHER RUN AWAY IN A WOMAN ATTIRE TO IVORY COAST LEAVING THE SO CALLED DYING CHILDREN AND HIS BRETHREN ON THE BATTLE FIELD. AND THIS ACHEBE, A MINISTER I=UNDER OJUKWU RAN TO AMERICA AND NOW WRITING BALDADASH FROM THERE CAUSING PROBLEM FOR HIS BRETHREN IN SW. IF WE DECIDE TO REPEAT.... HE WOULD NOW SAY YORUBA PEOPLE DO THIS OR THAT, HE WOUILD HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT @IT IS ONLY A BASTARD THAT USES LEFT HAND TO POINT TO HIS FATHER'S HOUSE'

My dear, please do us all a world of good by reading texts about the civil war. The food blockage was not being DONATED BY THE NIGERIAN SIDE, it was foreign aids that Awolowo's Policy blocked under the guise that the RED CROSS and other International relief Agencies were smuggling arms to the BIAFRAN'S side.
Moreover if Gowon and Co had stuck to the ABURI accord Ojukwu would not have gone ahead with cessation.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 4:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
There was Genocide in Biafra

And Ojuku that useless bastardd an illegitimate child was the cause of the genocide
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tomakint: 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
dayokanu: There was Genocide in Biafra

And Ojuku that useless bastardd an illegitimate child was the cause of the genocide

You are here again "Mr Yoruba Man" sometimes I wonder if you have fufu for brain or something, just exposing yourself all around Nairaland!!!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by noblejazz(m): 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
I always wonder why all the bigots in this forum always feel uneasy whenever truth is spoken on sensitive issues/topics. Anyways,soyinka has cleared the air on this as a yoruba elite..let the rightly disposed ones learn from soyinka's statements. but if bigot thinks he/she has a better contributions other than soyinka's then let him or her move on with any distorted views to prove him wrong..
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by dayokanu(m): 5:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
tomakint:

You are here again "Mr Yoruba Man" sometimes I wonder if you have fufu for brain or something, just exposing yourself all around Nairaland!!!

Someone is obviously obseesed with me. I am not gayy. Try and check your brother Chika Nwafor he might be interested in your arse

tomakint:

Read and read through what you just typed and slap yourself as many times as possible!!! You need quick deliverance just like DayoKanu!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by rallymento(m): 5:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Eko Ile:

Your lying ashebe was one of ojuku's ministers and propagandists. The man is still locked up in biafra war and thinking his propaganda job is still needed. The man is a senile old man filled with hate and anger. A lying old man at 82 years old.. what a shame.

Instead of him to die with the truth just like Awo and others did, he decided to speak up. Gen. Yak Gowon is still alive, he can as well write his own truth and share wt us. To be sincere and truthful, I believe that the SW played a big role in that genocide and adequate punishment awaits those that masterminded it.
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tomakint: 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
dayokanu:

Someone is obviously obseesed with me. I am not gayy. Try and check your brother Chika Nwafor he might be interested in your arse

Are you trying to be funny or being bountifully stoopid, I am only interested in exposing you, you and Katsumoto can 'do' yourself till eternity, we all know you guys are 'homo', don't push your luck!!!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by phreakabit(m): 5:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
[size=18pt]My dearest chief Obafemi Awolowo must be drowning in eternal Gamalin 20 by now. . . My his gentle soul rest in "it" . [/size]
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by tomakint: 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
rallymento:

Instead of him to die with the truth just like Awo and others did, he decided to speak up. Gen. Yak Gowon is still alive, he can as well write his own truth and share wt us. To be sincere and truthful, I believe that the SW played a big role in that genocide and adequate punishment awaits those that masterminded it.

We are in the era of 'Information Age' I can bet many shocking revelations concerning the 'Biafran War will still be unravel unlike the hogwash that has been display in many books, I have always maintained that for Wole Soyinka (Omoluabi) to take that stand then, he earns my respect till death!
Re: Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir by EkoIle1: 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
rallymento:

what I want you and the OP to do is to basically show us where Wole Soyinka said anything relating to this topic and title.

Asbebe is a lair and I need you to show us where WS supported his lies...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Onyeka Onwenu Finally Reports At ICPC, Granted Bail. / N585.2 Million Payment: The Questions Minister Beta Edu Must Answer / Will You Rate President Jonathan's Media Chat Poor Or Impressive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.