Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,889 members, 7,810,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? (14026 Views)

After Spending Millions For Your Daughter's Wedding(photo) / My Husband Prefers Spending All Of His Time With His Friends. / Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by salomn: 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
I stay in Sangotedo Lekki area of lagos and work in Lekki Phase1.

I am married with a kid now. Wife is not working.I notice that i do spend atleast N80k and above monthly for the upkeep of the family despite the fact that i dont engage in buying fancy things like clothes,shoes,going to clubs,drinking joints etc.

My expenses centers on feeding,transport fare and extraneous household expenses for three of us.At the end of the month,my expenses will be running atleast 80k and above,atimes it will hit up to 100k,thereby finding it difficult to have savings.

Please am i extravagant and how can i manage spending lower if possible?,how do you manage your monthly expenses pls?

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by wonlasewonimi: 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
salomn: I stay in Sangotedo Lekki area of lagos and work in Lekki Phase1.I am married with a kid now.Wife is not working.I notice that i do spend atleast N80k and above monthly for the upkeep of the family despite the fact that i dont engage in buying fancy things like clothes,shoes,going to clubs,drinking joints etc.My expenses centers on feeding,transport fare and extraneous household expenses for three of us.At the end of the month,my expenses will be running atleast 80k and above,atimes it will hit up to 100k,thereby finding it difficult to have savings.Please am i extravangant and how can i manage spending lower if possible?,how do you manage your monthly expenses pls?

Be thankful you have the money to spend.

12 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by omonikiba(f): 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
@poster, I will say its not too much on an average in lagos to spend that much or even over but you can be wise and spend lower than that. You wife should come in here and help you manage your finances since she is not working.

Let me give you an example of how you can cut ur cost, I stay in surulere with hubby, I don't buy things around there cos things are expensive, I go to mile12 for food stuff, oyingbo for soup things and hubby go to ijora olopa for fish ans chicken we do this to stuck the house for the whole one month I don't go to market. Don't buy things around your house, they are usually expensive. Then let her learn to manage, most women who are not working are not good in managing money cos they don't know the pain involve before earning, am sorry if I tasi any one.

Above all, know that in lagos people just want to collect from you by all means, you to try and have a business, maybe transport business where some income comes in weekly or monthly as extra income to support your home and then have a budget and don't go above it, you live in lagos, you've got to be wise in spending, else, forget, you won't save anything.

28 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by salomn: 2:28pm On Oct 17, 2012
@ Omonikiba, thanks for your advice.I appreciate. More advice pls from others on how your manage and save cost.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by StPete: 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
I'm in a similar scenario here too and my case is a bit worse cos i got no kids to fend for. I just believe that Lagos traffic is one major obstacle to saving and then my love for electronic gadgets (just can't help it) lipsrsealed
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Smuthx(m): 5:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
From hand to mouth. From paycheck to paycheck. it is a form of struggle. try to be saving and have some investment. it will benefit you.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
omonikiba: Then let her learn to manage, [size=18pt]most women who are not working are not good in managing money cos they don't know the pain involve before earning[/size], am sorry if I tasi any one.

That is the koko of the issue.

When only one spouse is working thats where the problem starts from especially for middle to low income families
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
No your are not Extravagant, I live in Lekki too, precisely where you work, believe me you are not even spending compared to the bills here...

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Fhemmmy: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Will be hard to respond to this, cos we have no idea how far is your office to him, do you drive, go in a cab or on a bus/okada.
Do you take lunch to word or you eat our everyday and spend so much of feeding for yourself.
You spending so much on brazilian hair for wifey or not . . . there is need for more info to be able to tell

2 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by juman(m): 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
N80K is not too much for three people for a month in Lagos, but it's important to save as stated above.

Plan your things well by write it down how to make some adjustment and adhere to your plan. You have to manage and not eat what you want all the time. May God help you.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Thok(m): 8:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
Define your needs from your wants.. Dont try to Live to keep up with the Jones's..
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by 222Martins(m): 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
Your expenses is quite low compared to your locality. Well, i think you can begin by encouraging your wife to support the family income by getting a job.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by chucky234(m): 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
Wanted to advice you but discover that I am worse than you are because my wife works while yours don't,though I spend a lot on clothes,shoes and jewelries but I don't drink neither do I smoke.
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by hagma37yahoocom: 8:13pm On Oct 17, 2012
Try to figure out exactly what those money have being used for then pick the one's that do not worth it but after tracking your expenses and all your purchase for the month are neccessary then you need a change of job or you live by the believe of investing in your children.
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by mrkels(m): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
Monthly? I was at a club one night in lekki, some boys at the VIP section dropped 800k for their drinks. That's 800k for a day bro! So , compared to those guys, you are so not!
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by davisman(m): 8:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
@ Poster,

The wisest step to take when ever you are short of money, or not having enough cash for your needs, is to work to create extra source of income. if your wife is not working, that means she is unoccupied to work. work to create income for her. if you can work to have say a source for extra 50k income every month, then it will help you, and your family. Goodluck.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by lumideezle(m): 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ha @ OP that means my own bad gaan B that o.. I stay in lekki I am single no wife nod kids and my monthly spendings is almost 60k kai I have 2 check that seriously !! When sm1 is spending 80k on 3peeps
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by nikky341: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2012
omonikiba: @poster, I will say its not too much on an average in lagos to spend that much or even over but you can be wise and spend lower than that. You wife should come in here and help you manage your finances since she is not working.

Let me give you an example of how you can cut ur cost, I stay in surulere with hubby, I don't buy things around there cos things are expensive, I go to mile12 for food stuff, oyingbo for soup things and hubby go to ijora olopa for fish ans chicken we do this to stuck the house for the whole one month I don't go to market. Don't buy things around your house, they are usually expensive. Then let her learn to manage, most women who are not working are not good in managing money cos they don't know the pain involve before earning, am sorry if I tasi any one.

Above all, know that in lagos people just want to collect from you by all means, you to try and have a business, maybe transport business where some income comes in weekly or monthly as extra income to support your home and then have a budget and don't go above it, you live in lagos, you've got to be wise in spending, else, forget, you won't save anything.

100% supported i used 2 live there , and this is exactly how i managed my household with more than 6 mouths 2 feed. i did not even bi pepper there as everything was expensive. with proper planing i was able 2 put aside 4 bulk shoping and just spend money on salary, dustbin collection, fuel and desil, and dstv per month
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by bigx(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
With a wife and a kid, I think you're very prudent (and I'm not joking)
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Oh dear. This thread just makes me wonder. Even as a single guy, one's monthly 'wine and women' budget alone often exceeds the amount you say you comfortably spend on a family of three. . .and yet you consider that extravagant. That is a wake up call.

Frankly, how do you manage it? How much is your child's school fees? How much do you give your wife as daily/weekly/monthly household/personal allowance? How much do you pay as house rent? How about the monthly utility bills?

Rather than advise you on how to curb your perceived 'extravagant' spending, I think one might learn useful lessons in prudent spending from you.

6 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by rusher14: 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
Single, live in Lekki and definitely spend more than 120k monthly. I really don't know how to manage especially with power failure and all.
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by MuNeme(m): 8:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
@post
I think the amount you spend should be looked at in comparison with how much you earn.
If that 80k represents say 20% of your monthly income, then you are good.
However, if such exependiture is above say 70% of your income, then I think you need to take measures to block some waste pipes.
Goodluck

5 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by mrrock: 8:58pm On Oct 17, 2012
@post.
I think Omonikiba have given you the right advise. And I have been doing that for years myself. The best way to save is buy things in bulk. The only thing I don't agree to is geting a side transport business. Don't ever try it else you will regret it!. Sometime ago I once bought 2 Mitsubishi L300 bus and gave out to 2 drivers. Just to make sure there were no mistakes I gave out one of them on Hired-purchase and the other on daily returns. I don't want to waste your time cause the story is long.
None of them performed instead I kepts puting money into the cars until I got fed up and sold the two below cost of one.
Again, don't try transport business unless you can drive them by yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Emmy9ite(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
You can never be financially free until your passive income exceeds your expenses. Op, its high time you let your money work for you. Start up a small business and put someone in charge, dont worry abt the beginning, you will reap the benefits later. I will recommend two books for you.
Read 'secrets of the millionaire mind' by T. Harv Eker and 'Retire young, retire rich' by Robert kiyosaki.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by RickyRoss1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
MuNeme: @post
I think the amount you spend should be looked at in comparison with how much you earn.
If that 80k represents say 20% of your monthly income, then you are good.
However, if such exependiture is above say 70% of your income, then I think you need to take measures to block some waste pipes.
Goodluck

Yeah you are right. It all boils down to your monthly take home pay.
I spend money according to my income. In PHC sometimes I can spend 70k in everyday supermarket. These are not clothes or shoes but what we need for the month, and sometimes it can run out within 2 weeks depending on how many visitors we get.

Cut your coat according to your size. if you are extravagant you will know, nobody here will know bc you didn't tell us your monthly income.
Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by kokoye(m): 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
Simple.

Can your wife get a damn job?

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by nagoma(m): 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Upkeep is very expensive nowadays. Take a look at the new federal government budget ( 2013) . The Presidents budget for food alone is over 108 million Naira a month which is about 3.6 million Naira a day . This is about 140, 000 times your family upkeep budget. his own is for food alone.You are not extravagant at all.

And you know that expenditure always rises to meet income- as you earn more your spending rises.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
U stay in an expensive area where standard of living is so high. Come to Iyana- Ipaja, Mushin, Cement, or preferably, sango- otta. Ask seun, sango otta is cheap and wonderful for leaving. Cut your cloth accordingly. And ur 80k per month will reduce to 40k

2 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by Emmy9ite(m): 9:06pm On Oct 17, 2012
mrrock: @post.
I think Omonikiba have given you the right advise. And I have been doing that for years myself. The best way to save is buy things in bulk. The only thing I don't agree to is geting a side transport business. Don't ever try it else you will regret it!. Sometime ago I once bought 2 Mitsubishi L300 bus and gave out to 2 drivers. Just to make sure there were no mistakes I gave out one of them on Hired-purchase and the other on daily returns. I don't want to waste your time cause the story is long.
None of them performed instead I kepts puting money into the cars until I got fed up and sold the two below cost of one.
Again, don't try transport business unless you can drive them by yourself.
Bro, because it didnt work for you doesnt mean it wont work for another person. Because you failed once doesnt mean you wont succeed in that business again. Reset your mindset and try it again. See you at the top!

5 Likes

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by onyxo76(m): 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
80k/month in lekki?to me you are really managing o,i think you may need to look for extra income sources.you wife should have something doing at home,even if its blending of soup ingridents or something that will bring in at least an extra 1000 or 2000 daily.
just look for a need that is needed around you.

1 Like

Re: Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending? by king100(m): 9:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
salomn: I stay in Sangotedo Lekki area of lagos and work in Lekki Phase1.

I am married with a kid now. Wife is not working.I notice that i do spend atleast N80k and above monthly for the upkeep of the family despite the fact that i dont engage in buying fancy things like clothes,shoes,going to clubs,drinking joints etc.

My expenses centers on feeding,transport fare and extraneous household expenses for three of us.At the end of the month,my expenses will be running atleast 80k and above,atimes it will hit up to 100k,thereby finding it difficult to have savings.

Please am i extravagant and how can i manage spending lower if possible?,how do you manage your monthly expenses pls?
What I can say on this issue is that (1)You need to sit down with your wife and discuss ur finances.(2)You need to let your wife have something doing even if it is a petty trading-let her also brings something to the table.Let assume you do not leave beyond your means like what some do, I think you should be able save something at the of every month.Watch out for ur extraneous household expenses.Wish you the best

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyindamola Bakare Is Missing / God bless all Mothers. Amen / Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.