Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,396 members, 7,812,161 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? (14035 Views)

Help Me My Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand / I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:24pm On Dec 02, 2014
people say it every time! I wanna settle down. she has finally settled down, when will your sister settle down? bla bla bla. are singles roaming about? I mean both literarily n metaphorically? der r married men out der who r serial cheats n married women who can't do wit just one man. can we say such people are settled down just cos der hv a ring in der fingers? wot do u call a single guy practicing abstinence?? who coined dat phrase settle down? someone better answer me.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 8:28pm On Dec 02, 2014
That's another name for marriage

1 Like

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by baski92(m): 8:31pm On Dec 02, 2014
Cos dats what it is
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2014
It's called 'settling down' not because thats what people actually do. But because that's what people are supposed and expected to do when they get married.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:42pm On Dec 02, 2014
Blizzyblinkzy:
That's another name for marriage
baski92:
Cos dats what it is

is dat it?? lyk seriously?? if u giv me dis kind of ansa in an exam I so happen to mark, I swear d two of u will nt get even close to an F

9 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by kingDavidda1st(m): 8:42pm On Dec 02, 2014
Its called settling down cos you are saddled with some family responsibilities that ordinarily you've not have done while you were single.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
MzPreshie:
It's called 'settling down' not because thats what people actually do. But because that's what people are supposed and expected to do when they get married.

so nw dey don't do wot dey r supposed to do, Hw about we go on a campaign to change d name
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
killjoy:

is dat it?? lyk seriously?? if u giv me dis kind of ansa in an exam I so happen to mark, I swear d two of u will nt get even close to an F
so what will be my score ?
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
kingDavidda1st:
Its called settling down cos you are saddled with some family responsibilities that ordinarily you've not have done while you were single.

Bt I'm already "settled down" wit inof family problems. do u knw Hw hard it is to live wit my dad?? so am I settled down nw??

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:49pm On Dec 02, 2014
Blizzyblinkzy:

so what will be my score ?

minus thirty nine... o God I wish my goodwill wud allow me to giv u wot u truly deserve. well I'm being nice sha. u deserve much less

1 Like

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by emperorchedda(m): 8:49pm On Dec 02, 2014
killjoy:

you ought to know girls can't use their brains for thinking, they don't like the 'stress'.

As for your topic, I guess single people are always jumping from one partner to another so settling down probably means its time to stop the race and end up with just one.

But these days the race never ends, even in marriage ladies still run around various diicks (excuse my french)

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 02, 2014
killjoy:

so nw dey don't do wot dey r supposed to do, Hw about we go on a campaign to change d name
No, how about we go on a campaign on the need to stay settled when married?

9 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2014
killjoy:

minus thirty nine... o God I wish my goodwill wud allow me to giv u wot u truly deserve. well I'm being nice sha. u deserve much less
hmm 2 bad
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2014
Datz anoda name for marriage.
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by chimerase2: 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2014
It means u dnt hv to womaniser again
U dnt hv to follow ur friends to club
U dnt hv to do all dos awkward things u do while single undecided
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Cholls(m): 8:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
MzPreshie:
my sister word! cool
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 8:56pm On Dec 02, 2014
emperorchedda:
you ought to know girls can't use their brains for thinking, they don't like the 'stress'.

As for your topic, I guess single people are always jumping from one partner to another so settling down probably means its time to stop the race and end up with just one.

But these days the race never ends, even in marriage ladies still run around various diicks (excuse my french)

hmmm ... some single guys r actually less promiscuous dan married dudes. dis settle down of a tin is really off for me shaaa. I'm more settled down dan many of u married pipz. its true.

BTW, I lyk ur signature

1 Like

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by emperorchedda(m): 9:04pm On Dec 02, 2014
killjoy:

hmmm ... some single guys r actually less promiscuous dan married dudes. dis settle down of a tin is really off for me shaaa. I'm more settled down dan many of u married pipz. its true.

BTW, I lyk ur signature
true that, though I don't judge promiscuous men because no matter how much they cheat they know where their heart lays

Thanks for the siggy. That's my own definition of love oooo
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 9:15pm On Dec 02, 2014
emperorchedda:
true that, though I don't judge promiscuous men because no matter how much they cheat they know where their heart lays

Thanks for the siggy. That's my own definition of love oooo
we hv similar definition of love. looks lyk dsame scorpion dat bit me bit u. hehehe
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by chymystique(f): 9:26pm On Dec 02, 2014
emperorchedda:

But these days the race never ends, even in marriage ladies still run around various diicks Men still run around various possies (excuse my french)

fixed! Referring to both sexes is better than being myopic.

@ the bolded are you a lone kisser? ?cool

1 Like

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by emperorchedda(m): 9:33pm On Dec 02, 2014
chymystique:

fixed! Referring to both sexes is better than being myopic.

@ the bolded are you a lone kisser? ?cool
you're in the right position to find out
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 02, 2014
It's called settling down because that's the only institution that is expected to last forever. once you're in, you're in..no going back, you have to settle with what you've. .... but the case is different now

1 Like

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by KanwuliaJara: 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2014
Because, you become like a bag of cement at the bottom of an ocean after marriage! grin
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by baski92(m): 11:41pm On Dec 02, 2014
Is Dat do thank you... I will get 4rm u ( ungrateful idi0t ) 4 commenting on your wake topic
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 12:03pm On Dec 03, 2014
KanwuliaJara:
Because, you become like a bag of cement at the bottom of an ocean after marriage! grin

interesting. can u explicate?
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by KanwuliaJara: 3:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
killjoy:

interesting. can u explicate?

Meaning : Your WAHALA juss dey start without h-end!!!

MUCHECHECHECHE kiss
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by killjoy(m): 3:32pm On Dec 03, 2014
KanwuliaJara:

Meaning : Your WAHALA juss dey start without h-end!!!

MUCHECHECHECHE kiss

is it me or r u deriving sum weird sadistic pleasure from d pain marriage has to offer. hope u ain't one of doz psychos who drive der husbands to suicide. I cova ur future husband wit d blood of Jesus

BTW... let's enjoy sexmas togeda. wot do u tink

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by datguru: 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2014
Simple, that's when you start taking responsibility in a higher level
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by blemon44(m): 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2014
Because you've finally found your missin rib
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by OCTAVO: 6:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
I don't know.
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by Nmeri17: 6:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
KanwuliaJara:
grin grin grin

BTW madame u go short wella o tongue See yo short neck and arm
Re: Why Is Getting Married Referred To As "Settling Down"? by thatniqqress(f): 6:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
Is reading

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After 3 Years Of Infertility, 4 Miscarriages Woman Welcomes Set Of Twins / Does Being Married Hinder Some Dreams? / Help, How Do I Cope With A Verbally Abusive Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.