Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies (4961 Views)

Six Things We Shouldn't Be Seeing Anymore In Nigerian Weddings / Call To Bar Ceremonies. Congratulations To Our New Set Of Lawyers! / How Necessary Are Big Weddings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by canadaik(m): 5:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
Hello,
This is just out of curiosity but i keep wondering why in Nigeria cake's always appear at almost every occassion....from weddings to birthday celebrations, is this something customary in Nigeria, i'm not very sure of this but i happen to live outside Nigeria, and i hardly see cakes in events except birthdays, for example considering the fact that i failed to see any cake in the recent publicized royal wedding of prince Williams and Kate Middleton i can make a safe assumption. Hence, are cakes important at events/ceremonies or are they Nigerian things? your kind response appreciated in advance cool
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Afam4eva(m): 9:31am On Oct 18, 2012
You know that anything Nigerians import they take it overboard and even do it more than the people they got it from.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by candieangel12(f): 9:34am On Oct 18, 2012
See question ooo. There is never a question person no go see 4 NL. But the royal couple did have a cake. Kate requested for an 8 tier cake 2 b exact. Having cake is not a naija thing, its a universal thing.
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by MadCow1: 9:38am On Oct 18, 2012
canadaik: Hello,
This is just out of curiosity but i keep wondering why in Nigeria cake's always appear at almost every occassion....from weddings to birthday celebrations, is this something customary in Nigeria, i'm not very sure of this but i happen to live outside Nigeria, and i hardly see cakes in events except birthdays, for example considering the fact that i failed to see any cake in the recent publicized royal wedding of prince Williams and Kate Middleton i can make a safe assumption. Hence, are cakes important at events/ceremonies or are they Nigerian things? your kind response appreciated in advance cool

Just wanted to correct the bolded part of your post

PS: I am replicating this exact cake for my wedding in 8 months time..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 18, 2012
THE WAYS OF THE WICKED SEDUCETH THEM
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by ebamma(m): 9:42am On Oct 18, 2012
Man must chop,if cake no dey your birthday wetin we go chop?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by acidtalk: 9:44am On Oct 18, 2012
So that those selling Jedi-jedi medicine aka Opa eyin will also having something to eat and takecare of their families.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by MadCow1: 9:52am On Oct 18, 2012

Just incase 'OUTSIDE NIGERIA' where you live is DARFUR or PAPAU NEW GUINEA, Here are more pictures of 'OUTSIDE NIGERIA' people celebrating with cakes;
1. Obama Birthday (P.S: I was there)
[img]http://4.bp..com/_C1iEUG2c9Ks/SnoBeo5ZviI/AAAAAAAAAjE/tHuo2qjMpcE/s400/obamacake.jpg[/img]

2.American Independence Cake

3. United Nations Anniversary Cake
[img]http://www.yokota.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/111129-F-PM645-003.jpg[/img]

4. Kim Jon Un
[img]http://jamesboard.files./2012/02/kim-jong-un-cake.jpg?w=627[/img]

5. Funeral Cake

[b]PS: Cake no get enemy

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 18, 2012
Let me update OP's question.

Why must it be cake, why not Amala or Fufu or even Garri.

I believe that's what you wanted to ask OP?
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 18, 2012

Ignorance @ its finest!! OLODO!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Wadosky(m): 10:02am On Oct 18, 2012
Why is meat deemed necessary on top ur white rice and stew
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 18, 2012
Wadosky:
Why is meat deemed necessary on top ur white rice and stew
To balance the meal with a major protein component.

Na answer I give o, I am not the OP
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 18, 2012
I can't imagine going to a wedding and cake won't be giving to guests.I will surely turn back home.me wey like cake die!
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Afam4eva(m): 10:09am On Oct 18, 2012
berem: I can't imagine going to a wedding and cake won't be giving to guests.I will surely turn back home.me wey like cake die!
make i no lie, i like cakes too.
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by duality(m): 10:24am On Oct 18, 2012
imagine eba with icing; to be used as birthday or wedding cake.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by redsun(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2012
It is part of oyinbo influence,and it is quite detrimental to africans,because they seems to be more prone to diabetics and obesity.I wonder if our precolonial ancestors ever suffered from diabetics? and obesity

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Francheezy(m): 10:47am On Oct 18, 2012
u xpect dem 2 use Agege buredi abi ?
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by phyl123: 11:04am On Oct 18, 2012
Hi OP

Your assumptions are based on your personal observations which i do understand. Based on my personal observations i think there are more cakes present at events outside Nigeria than in and i think that it is a good thing that Nigeria cake decorators are catching up some are even better. Also you didnt see the cake at the royal wedding because it was a private ceremony. Luckily a fellow nairalander has shown you the picture. I think we should embrace this cake culture as it is positive, creates job opportunities and brings out the creative talents in people.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by phyl123: 11:10am On Oct 18, 2012
redsun: It is part of oyinbo influence,and it is quite detrimental to africans,because they seems to be more prone to diabetics and obesity.I wonder if our precolonial ancestors ever suffered from diabetics? and obesity

Yes they did, but the technology was not there to detect it. There are different kinds of healthcakes that can be made these days, you will be amazed at the choices available as long as you keep an open mind.
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by ayindetemi: 12:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
Personally,I don't c r cheesy
eason 2 av cake@ evri ocassion,it looks like more of copy copy mentality.Dt ws why I refused 2 av a cake 4 introduction n my engagemt(why nid I cut cake4 engagemt n still cut d 2nd day 4 weddin.ma tot tho
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by texazzpete(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
redsun: It is part of oyinbo influence,and it is quite detrimental to africans,because they seems to be more prone to diabetics and obesity.I wonder if our precolonial ancestors ever suffered from diabetics? and obesity

So eating cake once in a while at ceremonial occasions will cause diabetes and obesity, right?

You never fail to show your foolish side.
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by MeGaStReEt: 4:05pm On Oct 18, 2012
Mad Cow:

Just incase 'OUTSIDE NIGERIA' where you live is DARFUR or PAPAU NEW GUINEA, Here are more pictures of 'OUTSIDE NIGERIA' people celebrating with cakes;
1. Obama Birthday (P.S: I was there)
[img]http://4.bp..com/_C1iEUG2c9Ks/SnoBeo5ZviI/AAAAAAAAAjE/tHuo2qjMpcE/s400/obamacake.jpg[/img]

2.American Independence Cake

3. United Nations Anniversary Cake
[img]http://www.yokota.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/111129-F-PM645-003.jpg[/img]

4. Kim Jon Un
[img]http://jamesboard.files./2012/02/kim-jong-un-cake.jpg?w=627[/img]

5. Funeral Cake

[b]PS: Cake no get enemy

guy you be real Mad Cow grin grin
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by Candybob(m): 11:48am On Oct 19, 2012
It is still part of our drive to catch up with the rest of the world in things that makes no sense... But then, every one have the right to choose their lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with having cake @ an occasion, if u like it!
Re: Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies by eventnownow: 9:22pm On Oct 26, 2012
If you'll like to find, share and promote events in Nigeria, visit eventnownow(dot)com. Registration and enlisting is free!!

(1) (Reply)

How To Vote For Bbnaija Top 5 Using Wechat - #BBN Winner / Event Ushers In Ibadan And Environs / Events Hall Decoration At Affordable Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.