Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder (12206 Views)

Four Robbery Suspects Subjected To Jungle Justice, Die In Police Custody / Female Banker, Others Charged With Defrauding Emir Of Kano’s Account (photos) / Pictures Of 13 Suspects Of UNIPORT Killings (Aluu4) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nkonadi(m): 3:08am On Oct 18, 2012
THIRTEEN suspects arrested in connection with the murder of four students of the University of Port Harcourt on October 5, were, yesterday, charged before a Port Harcourt Magistrate on afive- count charge, even as the Police has dismissed a Sergeant, Lucky Orji, who was said to be part of the mob.

The paramount ruler of Omuokiri-Aluu community, Alhaja Hassan Walewa , 59, was among the thirteen suspects in court. The others were, ex-sergeant, Lucky Orji, 43; Lawal Segun, 28; Cynthia Chinwo, 24; George Nwadei, 20; Ekpe Daniel, 30; Okoghiroh Endurance, 24; Gabriel Oche, 33; Ozioma Abajuo, 23; Endurance Edet, 27; Ikechukwu Louis Amadi (aka Kapoon) 32; David Chinasa Ogboda, 30; and Chigozie Evans Samuel, 22.

They were charged alongside others at large for conspiring to murder the four students of the University of Port Harcourt, Ugonna Obuzor, Toku Lloyd, Chiadika Biringa, and Tekenah Elkanah.

The charge was read to them but the magistrate did not take their plea
Adjourning on the matter tillDecember 20, Chief Magistrate Emmanuel Woke, said the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the suit because of its nature.
He then directed that the case file be handed over to the Director of Public Prosecution for legal advice and ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.

The accused who were leg-chained were led to the court by heavily armed security men.

Charge

The charge against them read: “You, Alhaji Hassan Walewa, 59 years, ex-sergeant, Lucky Orji, 43, Lawal Segun, 28, Cynthia Chinwo, 24, George Nwadei, 20 , Ekpe Daniel, 30 years old,Okoghiroh Endurance, 24, Gabriel Oche, 33, Ozioma Abajuo, 23, Endurance Edet, 27, Ikechukwu Louis Amadi (aka Kapoon), 32, David Chinasa Ogboda, 30, ChigozieEvans Samuel, 22 years, and others at large, on October 5,2012, at Omuokiri, Aluu community, in the Port Harcourt Magisterial District, did conspire amongst yourselves to commit felony to wit: murder and there by committed an offence punishable under Section 324 of the Criminal Code Cap 37 laws of Rivers State, 1999.

“On the same date and place in the aforesaid Magisterial District, did murder one Ugonna Obuzor by lynching and burning him to death and there by committed an offence punishable under Section 319 of the Criminal Code cap 37 volume 111 laws of Rivers State, 1999.”
Police dismiss Sergeant
Meanwhile, the Nigeria PoliceForce has dismissed a sergeant identified as Lucky Orji, who was allegedly involved in the gruesome murder of the students, following the confessions of one of the arrested suspects who claimed that a policeman was part of the mob.

The sergeant was dismissed for ordering the mob to kill the students.

Mr. Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer, whilespeaking yesterday on Channels TV, named the dismissed sergeant as Lucky Orji. He stated that the Nigeria Police Force had carried out their investigations and dismissedthe ‘named’ sergeant.

Mba said the dismissed police officer and another officer were alleged to have stumbled upon the angry mob beating the students.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/uniport-four-suspects-charged-with-conspiracy-murder/
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nobody: 3:12am On Oct 18, 2012
If there is one thing I hate about the court system in Nigeria, is the way they adjourn cases. December 20 is too far way, dammit!!!

10 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 18, 2012
All I want is to know is what d penal code says for such offence if its death by hangin or firing squad them am Ok

7 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Amazingift01(f): 6:55am On Oct 18, 2012
Abi o
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by ameer2: 7:01am On Oct 18, 2012
ItsModella: If there is one thing I hate about the court system in Nigeria, is the way they adjourn cases. December 20 is too far way, dammit!!!
wink,don't worry eh,they will remain in prison for the long time,but am sure they will be sentenced to life in prisoment
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Saintsquare(m): 7:01am On Oct 18, 2012
Justice @ last,let's wait and see.December 20 is far,justice delayed is justice denied.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by hardbody: 7:01am On Oct 18, 2012
ItsModella: If there is one thing I hate about the court system in Nigeria, is the way they adjourn cases. December 20 is too far way, dammit!!!

At a time like this, it is better to do a proper job of investigation and prosecution. Criminal matters are the hardest for the prosecutor and the easiest for the accused. At law, the prosecutor must prove everything while the accused is under no obligation to prove anything other than innocence, indeed, even if accused refuses to utter a word in defense, the prosecution may still fail if he fails to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt. They should be left in miserable conditions in detention first until the DPP is through with their files and they are charged to the High Court. My fears are, what happens if the prosecution fails to prove it's case, just my inner fears.

4 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by ugosly(m): 7:07am On Oct 18, 2012
at least they will b remanded and not released on bail...i,m sure they never envisaged that.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Basic(m): 7:08am On Oct 18, 2012
Being remanded in a Nigerian prison for over 60 days - even when you don't know what will become of you - is a great torture in and of itself.
I'm sure, by now, these killers will be regretting their actions bitterly.
@ the Chief judge, adjourn the case for 5 years and let them all rust in the cell. Then, after 5 years, sentence them all to death by hanging!

7 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 18, 2012
December is okay, coz its a judicial process, so if they are hasty in the jugdement, fresh facts may still emerge from the case and they will want to make the judgement after they ave propery being investigated, they are being charge yet, after a proper investigation and conclusion, they will be sentenced appropriately, but as long as they are in prison custody, I dnt ave problem with that.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by passionate88: 7:13am On Oct 18, 2012
no.. Let the case b postponed till march next yr.. Let them know what it means to be in jail..

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Georgiedey(m): 7:18am On Oct 18, 2012
D police should make names and pictures of absconded members of dis insane group public
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by jajajaja828: 7:26am On Oct 18, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]pls, i need help.
i commit adultery with a mother of four. am not married. i need an advice. i want to quit so i can be at peace with GOD. advice. how will i tell d woman that am not interested. worried nairalander.

1 Like

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by gunuvi(m): 7:27am On Oct 18, 2012
hardbody:

At a time like this, it is better to do a proper job of investigation and prosecution. Criminal matters are the hardest for the prosecutor and the easiest for the accused. At law, the prosecutor must prove everything while the accused is under no obligation to prove anything other than innocence, indeed, even if accused refuses to utter a word in defense, the prosecution may still fail if he fails to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt. They should be left in miserable conditions in detention first until the DPP is through with their files and they are charged to the High Court. My fears are, what happens if the prosecution fails to prove it's case, just my inner fears.
you are correct but the Video exhibit is a nail in the head of the accused. I am very certain the will all get life imprisonment except those 4 demons using the plank on the boys who can't escape the hangman noose.. Meanwhile Dec 20 is not far, the single thought of Dec celebrations they will miss is enough starting point for their journey to hell.

6 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 18, 2012
ameer!:
wink,don't worry eh,they will remain in prison for the long time,but am sure they will be sentenced to life in prisoment

Make sense..... As far as na sanko dem dey wait.
But make dem no die like clifford orji º°˚ !
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by CrazyMan(m): 7:29am On Oct 18, 2012
Patience my dear.

Cases like this needs enough time...I believe the adjournment is a welcome development.

It should give the police enough time to lay more charges against them.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 18, 2012
Now all of dem are looking sober.i hope dey remand dem in d most vicious and dirty prison.i cant even believe dey can be dis sober and to even think a 24 yr old gal is involved.who gave dem d right to kill.see as dey were killing like dey had d right to kill,using all their energy like theres no tomorow.one thing dat makes me happy is dat even if dey giv dem life imprisonment (which is likely) dey will use d majority part of their lives in prison.dey will cut grass for govt and live worse than beggars.just see all of dem in their 2os and mid 3os.dey just spent 2o sumtin n 3o sumtin yrs free and dey use d remainin miserable days of their lives in prison.smh

1 Like

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by elpatch(m): 7:33am On Oct 18, 2012
Firing or hanging will be too dignifying for these rogue,how about forgetting them in an hyperechoic dungeon with the pictures of the boiz hang everywhere to Bleep their psyche.

10 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by freecocoa(f): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2012
As far as bail was not and will not be granted, I have no problem with the judge's decision for now. Ehen what of the Debtor Mr Coxson na?

2 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by onyxo76(m): 7:37am On Oct 18, 2012
hardbody:

in case they are let off the hook by the court,they won't last long outside,some angry mob of students may just finish what the court couldn't. remember everyone knows what they look like.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by fapcrook(m): 7:45am On Oct 18, 2012
fonzie2u: All I want is to know is what d penal code says for such offence if its death by hangin or firing squad them am Ok
@fonzie, i agree wt u as well. They shd be killed. God will not have mercy on them
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by martin92(m): 7:46am On Oct 18, 2012
"Thieves, thieves" he screamed, it was almost funny; not until more voices joined the chorus as they screamed and shouted on us. We could have ran at least to save our lives, but little did we know how the day would end.
From a handful of young men shouting and throwing questionsat us, it escalated to a crowd of angry mob. There was no way we
could escape this one, so we
calmed down. They pushed us around and then stripped us all. These men pulled us pants down,we were more than embarrassed, the whole community watched: I recognised few faces from the crowd. Obviously they were so afraid to say "stop", then the beating started, I wished it to be
just a nightmare; but it was real, these men were determined. They dropped heavy rocks on ourheads, they pounded our faces
with large planks, blood covered our eyes, they matched and kicked us right on our nostrils, we
couldn't breathe. "Bring tire" one of the men repeated, until they brought the tires. "Oh God!" We watched the crowd watch us, weraised hands of plea, we couldn't
speak. Some hid, some shot videos and took pictures. there was no one to stop this. This wasthe point we knew it was over. We felt pain, helpless and hopeless. I thought of my siblings, I
wondered how my mum would take this. She would fall apart. I begged God to hold her for me, comfort and make her strong for
me, I prayed same for my friends.Then we started crying, we cried together. the tears gave us headaches. We looked up high, the sky was still. Rings of tires landed on our necks, they kept hitting us, but we were numb already. They set us ablaze. We
rolled around, tried to reach for each other, I wondered who would give up first, the fire burned our
bodies. It hurt, it hurt and then it hurt. But suddenly the pain stopped. Then I couldn't hear anyother thing, but silence. I thankedGod. The pain was over. RIP Ugonna, Llyod, Tekana and Chidiaka.

30 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Christambasador: 7:50am On Oct 18, 2012
God help Nigeria. angry angry angry
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by fxjohn2: 7:51am On Oct 18, 2012
the safest place for them on this earth is where they are right now! If the court frees them it is still same as a death sentence..... They wont last long anywhere else

1 Like

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by fapcrook(m): 7:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Basic: Being remanded in a Nigerian prison for over 60 days - even when you don't know what will become of you - is a great torture in and of itself.
I'm sure, by now, these killers will be regretting their actions bitterly.
@ the Chief judge, adjourn the case for 5 years and let them all rust in the cell. Then, after 5 years, sentence them all to death by hanging!
good point they shd die slowly in prison and then executed in public
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Josboy2: 7:55am On Oct 18, 2012
Let them test the bitterness of being wicked.It surprises me that human beings can be so wicked to lynch young people like that without any pity.Na now dem go no say calabar na big town.Wicked beast kawai.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by favour101(m): 7:57am On Oct 18, 2012
Don't worry Nairalanders the file has been brought to our office and all of them made confessional statements adding to material evidence that was brought before us. In two weeks time all their charges will be ready for prosecution in the high court. The police did a nice job by making them write a confessional statement. We from the DPP are ready to prosecute them in court

6 Likes

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by banmaster(m): 7:57am On Oct 18, 2012
CrazyMan:
Patience my dear.

Cases like this needs enough time...I believe the adjournment is a welcome development.

It should give the police enough time to lay more charges against them.

If the suspect or rather killers had given the 4 boys time to explain it wuldnt had lead to dis, so there is no time

1 Like

Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by WinkWrld: 8:00am On Oct 18, 2012
Those guys that plannked the students should be beaten and burnt half-way before a life sentence. The court should serve the highest punishment.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by kemoolala: 8:02am On Oct 18, 2012
ameer!:

which one be life imprisonment u dey talk abi make them kuku kill them by hanging or firing squad. Though will not bring the boys back but will please my heart.
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by Wadosky(m): 8:06am On Oct 18, 2012
Nkonadi:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/uniport-four-suspects-charged-with-conspiracy-murder/
Accelerated hearing,straaight to life or death sentence
Re: Uniport Killings: Suspects Charged With Conspiracy, Murder by nosagold(m): 8:08am On Oct 18, 2012
All of them deserve a slow painful death, imbecillez

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna Man Plots Cousin’s Kidnap/ Murder To Avoid Repaying Money He Owed Her / We Sold Our Day-old Baby For N250, 000 To Pay Off Debts – Suspect / EFCC Arrests Nine Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.