Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? (10517 Views)

Man Takes Poison After Son Caught Him Attempting To Rape Daughter / Woman Arrested For Attempting To Use Twins For Fraud / Police Kill Robbers In Gun Duel, Arrest Six Car Snatchers (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Abbott(m): 4:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
Hmmm!
The position of the law is that self defence that leads to death is excusable and defensible as long as the force of self defence is proportional and the action of self-defence is not premeditated. Every matter is decided on the circumstances of the case. An armed robber armed with guns or any projectile can be resisted using proportionate weapon/projectile. That means:
pistol for pistol/shotgun
rifle for pistol/shotgun
machine guns/machine guns
machete for machete/dagger/axe
knifes for F cut knifes/"lebe" butchers knife etc

Anything that reveals premeditation like a planned assault long after the crime has been committed or gory, savage killings like the one in Apocalypto:when those guys were speared why trying to run into safe territory. If you have to defend, make it deadly, precise, immediate and swift.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by adubiay: 4:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
The poster said if you are with a license gun. my question is why will you aquire a gun with license if u dont intend to use it to protect your loved ones. or u buy the gun for hunting antelop
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Policewoman(f): 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2012
If i had my gun at home, i would ask them to leave. If they still persist, i'll empty the magazine into them all.

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ijebulogic: Ever so often, we humans get tested by incidents around us. Despite the anger and disgust most feel for the gruesome murder of the Uniport 4, it raises other moral questions.

Here is the scenario: Its 2am and you are asleep with you wife, new born child and aged mother-in-law. 4 Armed robbers are hacking away at your door screaming that you will be dead tonight if you dont open the door.

Assume you have a licenced shotgun in the house, Would you stand as a man and defend your family by killing all four? If no, what are your options? If Yes, how are you better than the ALUU killers? Its a moral dilemma. Comments please.

Murder: malicious,premeditated and intentional killing of a person. Killer knows exactly what he is doing. Inexcusable,maximum sentence unless u can prove temporary insanity
Manslaughter: killing without intent. Battery gone wrong etc. Killer may not have thot his victim would end up dead. Lighter punishment because the killer may still be redeemable member of society.
Self defence:killing a person because your life is threatened by the subject. Self preservation. Killer is fully aware of his actions but there are extenuating circumstances because he is reacting off the actions of the agressor. Its kill or be killed. Should be acquitted.

And then there is psychopatic murder. The killer does not just kill, he tortures and dehumanizes his victm. He aluufies his victm. A killer like this is considered deranged, irrational and should be institutionalized.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by LOZENGE(m): 7:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
CAPTIAL YES
I WILL WITHOUT GIVING IT A TOT
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by totorimi: 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
The situation is that the police cannot be trusted. My nephew once went to the police to complain about a certain neighbor that stays home all day but goes out at nights. He reported that the police come check him out and be certain that he was a clean but guess what after somedays the guy accosted my nephew that he saw all the statement he made at the police station but God pass them.

Anyway thank God the guy wasn't a criminal as he thought, you can imagine what would have become of my nephew in that neighborhood. Nigerians dont have any confidence in the police so they hardly take issues to the police. They will rather settle scores once and for all.
Sometimes you catch criminals hand them over to police, after 3 days you see same criminal walking the streets a free man.
The average Nigerian will behead an intruder threatening his life in his house at an ungodly hour. It is just the way we are today in Nigeria. You can imagine that 2 days after aluu4 there was a mob action in Warri.
So jungle justice is here to stay until our police becomes more responsive.
So people should be careful the time of day they want to go make trouble.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by princeonx: 8:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
Even my pastor risk getting shot coming to my house (in naija) around 2/3am unannounced not to talk of someone forcing my door open and threatening to hurt or kill me. Simply put, let his/their blood be on my head cux I will smoke them without blinking! If all circumstances are exactly as described by poster, I'll rather kill them and find out the unknown later than they kill me or my family!
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Rooneyboy(m): 8:51pm On Oct 18, 2012
I'll kill the thief without blinking
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by cap28: 9:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sky Blue:

Canvas? Which kain credit crunch robbing be dat? Ein no see better tin carry hit you for head? Think back now, you sure say na even real gun dey bin use or na hand dey carry point?

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by PastorOla1: 10:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
YES.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by gruppom: 10:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
afam4eva: I would kill them all and feel no remorse.

Hubby has a licensed gun, i have a legal 'aboki' knife By me bed. We pray not to use, but if anyone enters hubby will shoot and i will slice Mr and Mrs Smith. We dare not miss, because it can be the other way round.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by igboboy1(m): 10:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
only if they have tear tear marks on their face like tiger scratched their face..I dunno why I always dream am always taeget practicing with my M-16 (damn i love this rifle, NRA for life, eff democrats)on tiger clawed face people...
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by crisycent: 10:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
Is this a question?
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by ddim22: 1:01am On Oct 19, 2012
Ijebulogic: Ever so often, we humans get tested by incidents around us. Despite the anger and disgust most feel for the gruesome murder of the Uniport 4, it raises other moral questions.

Here is the scenario: Its 2am and you are asleep with you wife, new born child and aged mother-in-law. 4 Armed robbers are hacking away at your door screaming that you will be dead tonight if you dont open the door.

Assume you have a licenced shotgun in the house, Would you stand as a man and defend your family by killing all four? If no, what are your options? If Yes, how are you better than the ALUU killers? Its a moral dilemma. Comments please.
Stop asking stupid question.Do you have a brain at all?Armed robbery is armed robbery whether attempted or committed.Anybody that goes stealing with a gun or knife should be killed before he kills anybody.The way ALUU4 were killed is a good way to kill armed robbers.But the reason everybody is angry about their killing is because they were innocent.From the story we have heard,the community killed them thinking they were armed robbers because the cult guy they took along with them fired a gun and ran away.So incase you are an armed robber trying to sample peoples opinion,i advice you to repent and give your life to christ.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by ddim22: 1:07am On Oct 19, 2012
crisycent: Is this a question?
Thank you for asking.I wonder what this moderators are doing allowing this hare-brained post to exist.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by fitzmayowa: 1:21am On Oct 19, 2012
That's why there is provision for self defence in the law, i would shoot them without hesistation because you dont't if they would carry out the i would kill you threat when you open the door.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 6:34am On Oct 19, 2012
ddim22:
Stop asking stupid question.Do you have a brain at all?[/b]Armed robbery is armed robbery whether attempted or committed.Anybody that goes stealing with a gun or knife should be killed before he kills anybody.[b]The way ALUU4 were killed is a good way to kill armed robbers.But the reason everybody is angry about their killing is because they were innocent.From the story we have heard,the community killed them thinking they were armed robbers because the cult guy they took along with them fired a gun and ran away.So incase you are an armed robber trying to sample peoples opinion,i advice you to repent and give your life to christ.

I usually ignore such posts; but i cant help but respond. You have read 3 pages of contributions from people with various opinions including enlightened updates from lawyers who have shed more light on what the Nigerian law says. It is unfortunate that in one voice, you say that the barbaric torture and burning alive of human beings is "good" and in another voice, you end your post by suggesting i am an armed robber (LOL!!!) and advising me to give my life to Christ. My brother, thank you for the advice but I gave my life to Christ many decades ago and the Christ i worship doesnt promote hours of sadistic torture and burning alive as a good way to resolve anything. If you feel this post is daft and irrelevant, you dont need to contribute, just ignore and move on.There are many more posts on Tonto Dike and Nollywood which may probably appeal to your mind-set better.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by senator2k9(m): 7:14am On Oct 19, 2012
Pacify: I can understand your point of view coming from that angle but I want to be believe that there's a distinct difference between a set of robbers threatening to kill you and the speculation without any proof that some set of boys were robbers. Besides, since the boys were caught, it would have been fair justice to hand them over to the police rather than lynch them in broad day light
this does not in anyway answer the question, if those ALUU boys were same robbers on ur door by dat 2am, wil u attempt to apprehend 4 of dem n hand dem over to the police or u wil "shoot at sight"
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by senator2k9(m): 7:19am On Oct 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @OP
You shouldn't mix apples and oranges. The scenario you gave is completely different from what happened to these 4 students.
1) an armed robber is committing a serious crime while these 4 boys only crime was to "supposedly" steal something (focus on SUPPOSEDLY)

2) killing the armed robbers would be self defense because you would be in a situation where you believed that your life (or that of your family) was in danger, while these 4 boys never threatened anyone's life.

3) if you actually believe that what happened to these boys was RIGHT (aka killing innocent people because of your own selfish beliefs), then you would obviously also believe that what BH is doing is also RIGHT.
do u also knw dat d debtor shouted in self defense? Coz the so called "Mr. Fearless guy" came with a gun, d debtor did not ask anyone to kill anybody, he was defending himself
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by senator2k9(m): 7:22am On Oct 19, 2012
all4naija: No! I would rather escape and call the police!
u must be a yoruba man
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by gruppom: 7:57am On Oct 19, 2012
senator2k9: this does not in anyway answer the question, if those ALUU boys were same robbers on ur door by dat 2am, wil u attempt to apprehend 4 of dem n hand dem over to the police or u wil "shoot at sight"
On that same day, still in ph.4 men were beaten and burnt to death in obigbo after raping a woman and killing her husband during a robbery Spree. On seeing her hubby dead she clung to one of the robbers and demanded to Die too. They answered her request and gunned her down. On attempting to flee in the dead couples Jeep they were apprehended by Neighbours and killed. Where are the human right activist?
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Candybob(m): 10:53am On Oct 19, 2012
I understand ur point @ Op, i always wondered why all the hulabalula over the issue.. One of the aluu boys was reported to have CARRIED A GUN (why should u do that, guns are illegal in Nigeria and u are not allowed to carry one even for self defense!). So u cant blame the community vigilante for assuming they were Robbers or Cultists... The thought of both inspiries no Love or Pity!!!
I do not approve of jungle justice but who is to blame? I will tell u.. It is our justice system! A justice system that respects the rich and places them above the law, our culture is deficient in this regard we are thought to respect fictitious things like age and wealth, with out providing a check to the abuse of the previlege!
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 19, 2012
If the scenario was as described by the OP, I would most likely fire through the door. This is self-defense. Shooting an unarmed man, where there's clearly no threat is more premeditated, and will be classed as murder. Unless you could prove you felt threatened, you were sure he was armed, it'll be murder.

I wouldn't kill if there clearly wasn't a threat to my life or my family's, I'm not made that way.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 19, 2012
senator2k9: do u also knw dat d debtor shouted in self defense? Coz the so called "Mr. Fearless guy" came with a gun, d debtor did not ask anyone to kill anybody, he was defending himself

He may not have asked the boys to be killed, but if he shouted "Ole!" what did he expect to happen? Especially in a community where there was already tension, due to alleged constant robberies?

I doubt he shouted "Ole!" whilst they were there, if the 5th boy really had a gun. Would you shout when a gun was trained on you? Would you think help would get to you on time, before you got shot? So most likely the boys were already on their way out, hence he became confident enough to alert the vigilante. Or possibly there was no gun in the first instance!

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by CGKing(m): 1:21am On Oct 20, 2012
Hmmmm. This must be a trick question. I'd probably wait to find out what they want.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by KMB: 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2015
Attack is the best form of defense. So kill them before they kill you
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Xharlesis: 3:14pm On Oct 25, 2017
They'll witness "WORLD WAR 3" live bcuz all hell will set loose.
i dont think i'll use a shotgun cus the fire rate is so low, THE UZI, MACHINE PISTOL or an M5 or probably a Submachine gun.grin
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by 2shure: 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2017
with my mg4
its ths killing season

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

14 Nestoil Staff Kidnapped In Rivers State / EFCC Secures Seven Convictions In Abeokuta, Ibadan / VIDEO: NDLEA Seizes Illicit Drugs Concealed In Vehicles Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.