Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians (1843 Views)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. / Did Jesus Die On A Cross Or A Stake? / Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by samsonola(m): 2:37pm On Jan 24, 2008
Christians claimed that a Jesus Chist(AS) was crucified on a cross and yet they keep a symbol of this cross on their necks,in churches in their homes etc. It baffles me.This means that if the same Jesus had been hanged ,then that loop would have been an object of great adoration. It does not make sense,pls enlighten me anyone
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by lukmond: 2:42pm On Jan 24, 2008
you are not making sense,
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by samsonola(m): 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2008
which part is not clear to u
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by DD5: 2:55pm On Jan 24, 2008
Samsononla, people like you are not new. Muslims who have been roundly trounced on other threads suddenly appearing to be "puzzled" by posting irrelevant threads.

Back to ur topic: the cross is important to christians because that is the symbol of spiritual redemption . . . the symbol of God's greatest sacrifice of love to man.
HOWEVER the most important issue is NOT the cross but that Christ is risen again. If he did not resurrect the cross would be as good as useless.

Again you are just behaving like the typical dishonest muslim . . . lying through ur teeth. I have never worn the symbol of the cross on my neck neither did most of my friends. I cant remember seeing a symbol of the cross in most christian homes.
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by pilgrim1(f): 2:55pm On Jan 24, 2008
@samsonola,

How body? cheesy

samsonola:

Christians claimed that a Jesus Chist(AS) was crucified on a cross and yet they keep a symbol of this cross on their necks,in churches in their homes etc. It baffles me.This means that if the same Jesus had been hanged ,then that loop would have been an object of great adoration. It does not make sense,please enlighten me anyone

Start from here: Christians do not worship or venerate any "loop" - whether it represents the Cross, or the Muslim symbol of the Moon, or any other object.

Many peopkle practise things today that are not part of their religious tenets - whether Christians or Muslims. We all know that, don't we? I have shared about the veneration of tombs and graves by Muslims in many mosques around the world - but to be honest with you, we all know that it is contrary to Islam (judging Muhammad's protests about it shortly before his death).

In the same way, it would be helpful to first understand what Biblical Christianity connotes before assuming to adjudge it from the things you see around you.

Cheers. smiley
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by osisi5: 5:02pm On Jan 24, 2008
and the thread dies a natural death
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by babs787(m): 8:16pm On Jan 24, 2008
@pilgrim.1

In the same way, it would be helpful to first understand what Biblical Christianity connotes before assuming to adjudge it from the things you see around you.

Can you shed more light on what biblical christianity connotes?
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by pilgrim1(f): 9:40pm On Jan 24, 2008
@babs787,

babs787:

Can you shed more light on what biblical christianity connotes?

Thanks for asking.

However, the part of my response you quoted should not be a hat-trick you can easily employ to deflect the topic of the thread and turn it into something else, thank you.

If you care, please re-read the topic again and again until it settles in -

"Why Is The Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians?"

That is what the poster was trying to figure out - and that is what the responses have been about so far.
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 25, 2008
Damnation came to men through the tree in the garden.

Salvation came to men through the wood (from a tree) of the cross.

The cross is no longer an instrument of damnation, but a source of blessing.

That is why it is venerated.

(Not because it has any type of magical power!!)
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by Horus(m): 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2008
samsonola:

Christians claimed that a Jesus Chist(AS) was crucified on a cross and yet they keep a symbol of this cross on their necks,in churches in their homes etc. It baffles me.This means that if the same Jesus had been hanged ,then that loop would have been an object of great adoration. It does not make sense,please enlighten me anyone
I agree with you,why this Cross?.Just think; suppose Jesus had been killed with a shotgun, would this be any reason to have a shotgun hanging from our necks or on top of the church roof? It comes down to this: the important thing is not what, but who – who it was that (allegedly) died, not what the instrument of death was.
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by Alphazee(f): 5:41pm On Feb 21, 2008
Jesus was actually hung on a tree.

Acts 5:30 "Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree"
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by Backslider(m): 11:08pm On Feb 21, 2008
The cross signifies the End of the Old testament state Religion
,, The End of your selfish life and the beginning of a new life in Jesus.
,, The remission of your sin
,, You going to hell and he crossed you on the way and took you to heaven to be with him.
,, He crossed you to escape the great day of the Lord
,, He made an open show of satan (realise when jesus was on the Cross they wanted he to come down).
,, God the father Crossed his mind that he could not look at a righteous man die for sinful man and the soul of jesus was crying out; not for justice( like abel's blood did) but it was crying for mercy for you and I

The Cross is reconciliation not revenge

The Wood and the Tree is the same thing
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by dafidixone(m): 3:56pm On Feb 23, 2008
@ poster,

the cross stood as a symbol that remind us all of the dead of Christ. It is not too important as getting the purpose of Christ death.

Punishment by Cross has been existing before Christ's only that cross become glorified because Jesus Christ (the only begotten son of God was crucified) Just like an ass was glorified because Jesus Christ rode on it.

Remember Jesus is Emmanuel "God with us" grin
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by Horus(m): 5:48pm On Feb 23, 2008
dafidixone:

Just like an ass was glorified because Jesus Christ rode on it.
Of course,the ass was glorified .So if you Christians want to worship something, why don’t you worship the ass?  grin ,After all, it was the ass that bore the Messiah Jesus’ weight and delivered him to the city of Jerusalem. The palms on the other hand, were merely laid on the ground to be stepped on and crumbled.
Re: Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians by bawomolo(m): 8:37pm On Feb 23, 2008
why does man sin even though we are living a new life in christ??

(1) (Reply)

Five Philosophical Proofs For The Existence Of God. / Who Wrote The Gospels And When Were They Written? / Catholic And Beer Taking.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.