Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

US Documents Support Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Documents Support Achebe (1141 Views)

Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Documents Support Achebe by Xris74: 3:20pm On Oct 19, 2012
US documents support Achebe: Gowon blocked food supplies to Biafra, shot down Red Cross relief aircrafts, sabotaged Biafran farmlands

Print
Email

Category: POLITICS
Published on Tuesday, 16 October 2012 23:22
Written by Elombah.com

Information released online from the US Department of State archive from January 20, 2001 to January 20, 2009 indicates that during the Nigeria civil war, the government of General Yakubu Gowon offering a food corridor was busy shooting down RED CROSS Aircraft ferrying food to Biafra. On June 5, 1969, an International Committee of

the Red Cross (ICRC) plane was shot down by a Nigerian MIG while en-route to Biafra with relief supplies.

Elombah.com investigators discovered that on July 1, 1969, the Federal Military Government (FMG) kicked out the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and imposed a de facto embargo on relief flights into Biafra. Airlifts into Biafra could operate only in daylight following inspection in Federal territory. Those food and medical relief supplies from Sao Tome were declared illegal and subject to military interdiction by Gowon.

The issue arose as Alhaji Femi Okunnu, alleged that former Biafran leader, General Emeka Ojukwu used starvation to prolong civil war. He was commenting on the allegation by Professor Chinua Achebe of Chief Obafemi Awolowo using starvation against the Igbo during the war.

Okunnu a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, served as the Federal Commissioner for Works and Housing between 1967 and 1974. He was also appointed by General Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria's wartime head of state, as a Special Envoy and Leader of Peace Talks, during the 30-month Nigerian civil war.

He had said in an interview with Tribune that "the other side refused to negotiate seriously. They were only interested in the sovereignty of Biafra. That was the goal of Ojukwu; an independent Biafra and he tried to use starvation to attain that goal."

biafra

But available records show that on 30 June 1969, the Nigerian government banned all Red Cross aid to Biafra; two weeks later it allowed medical supplies through the front line, but restricted food supplies. Later in October 1969, Ojukwu appealed to United Nations to mediate a cease-fire. The federal government then called for Biafra's surrender.

By this time food was very short in Biafra and they were having major problems trying to save the starving civilian population. Many countries and church agencies were offering food, but the planes trying to fly it in had to run a gauntlet of fire usually during the night, which made it harder for the pilots to see where they were going. At one time each cargo plane had a fighter with it to try and mislead the troops below. Many flew at tree top level to evade being in the Nigerians line of fire, cutting down their exposure time to just a few seconds.

Commenting on Alhaji Femi Okunnu allegation, a Historian, Obi Nwakamma said: "Okunnu was part of a war cabinet that sanctioned the use of cruel and inhuman methods in the prosecution of war, also known as "war crimes." Years later after the pyrrhic victory, I do not expect him to say anything less in self-justification. But if he were thinking a little more compassionately you would expect that he'd take a step back, re-examine the situation, and acknowledge that the government in which he served at the highest level bears profound responsibilities. It would not bring back those starved to death or bombed to smithereens but it'd salve the conscience of that unfortunate nation a little bit."

In the words of Obi Nwakanma, the effect of the blockade on Biafra was clear, but once the urgency of relief became equally clear for the survival of the civilian population, it became necessary to limit the blockade on food to the civilian population. The abortion of such a relief as a strategy of war constitutes a war crime.

The push to starve the civilian population in order to pressure the Biafra leadership to surrender should be seen for what it was: a targeted, genocidal act. Okunu bears responsibility in part, until it is proven that he dissented from any such initiative. It was not only starvation that was used: the bombing of civilian populations; markets, hospitals, schools with entire school children killed in session, etc are clearly documented. There are rules to war. All is not fair in war. This is the basic point of this argument and the thrust of Achebe's criticism of the federal policy of starvation.

Further archival reports see by Elombah.com show that from 1968 onward, the war fell into a lengthy stalemate, with Nigerian forces unable to make significant advances into the remaining areas of Biafran control. The blockade of surrounded Biafra led to a humanitarian and propaganda disaster when it emerged that there was widespread civilian hunger and starvation in the besieged Igbo areas. An over used tactic of the Nigerian forces had been the sabotage of farmland, and this was now beginning to affect Biafra’s population. Images of starving Biafran children went around the world. The Biafran government claimed that Nigeria was using hunger and genocide to win the war, and sought aid from the outside world.

Many world organised volunteer bodies organised blockade-breaking relief flights into Biafra, carrying food, medicines, and sometimes (it was claimed) weapons. Nigeria also claimed that the Biafran government was hiring foreign mercenaries to extend and lengthen the war.

Another archival document had blamed Ojukwu and Gowon for Biafra Starvation death toll. It said disagreement on shipments between Mr. Gowon and Mr. Ojukwu, were more to blame for the failure of relief materials reaching dying children, women and men desperately in need of food.

Mr. Gowon, the cable said, discontinued air shipments to the Eastern region despite pressure from the United States and the Red Cross, fearing transport airplanes were being used to convey arms to Biafra.

Initial shipments by the Red Cross, had delivered 16 to 20 tons of food a night in a lone DC–4, feeding an estimated 850,000 people in Biafra three meals per week, the document said.

Federal forces sabotaged farmlands

=========================

Sources:

US DEPT OF STATE ARCHIVE:

- 71. Situation Report Prepared by the Nigerian Task Force, Washington, June 6, 1969 [ PDF version ]

On June 5, an International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) plane was shot down by a Nigerian MIG while en-route to Biafra with relief supplies.

Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 742, Country Files, Africa, Nigeria, Vol. I. Confidential.

- 72. Department of State Press Statement, Washington, undated [ PDF version ]

In this statement, which was handed out to the press on June 6, the Department expressed U.S. regret for the attack by the Nigerian Air Force and reiterated the U.S. position of avoiding political or military involvement in the Nigerian civil war. The attached briefing paper, which was read but not distributed, acknowledged that relief and arms night flights were intermingled, and urged expanded relief through daylight flights and a land corridor.

Source: National Archives, RG 59, Records of the Special Coordinator on Relief to Civilian Victims of the Nigerian Civil war, February 1969-June 1970, Lot 70 D 336, Box 517, ICRC, Records. Unclassified. At the top of page one of the statement, Schott wrote, "Clyde - Here is last Friday's statement. The top page was handed out and the second one only read out. SCS."

In a Letter from the Secretary-Treasurer of Joint Church Aid-U.S.A., Inc. (Kinney) to the Special Coordinator on Relief (Ferguson), New York, February 26, 1969, Kinney expressed hope that one of Ferguson's first acts would be to ask the Nigerian Government to cease attacking relief planes making night flights into Uli airstrip. -

Source: National Archives, RG 59, Records of the Special Coordinator on Relief to Civilian Victims of the Nigerian Civil War, February 1969 -June 1970, Lot 70 D 336, Box 517, D-13 Voluntary Agencies Joint Church AID. No classification marking.

========================

In a Telegram 36410 From the Department of State to the Embassy in Nigeria, March 8, 1969, 1954Z, The Department reported on Assistant Secretary of State Joseph Palmer's meeting with Nigerian Information Commissioner Anthony Enahoro. They discussed U.S. humanitarian policy,bombing of civilians and relief aircraft, assistance to Relief Coordinator Clyde Ferguson, protection of Ibos, Soviet influence in Nigeria, and delays in Nigerian visa issuances.

Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1967-69, POL 7 Nigeria. Confidential. Repeated to London, Geneva, Paris, and Cotonou. Drafted by R.J. Wach (AF/W), cleared by Palmer, and approved by Melbourne.

=================================

"On 30 June 1969, the Nigerian government banned all Red Cross aid to Biafra; two weeks later it allowed medical supplies through the front line, but restricted food supplies. Later in October 1969, Ojukwu appealed to United Nations to mediate a cease-fire. The federal government then called for Biafra's surrender.

"By this time food was very short in Biafra and they were having major problems trying to save the starving civilian population. Many countries and church agencies were offering food, but the planes trying to fly it in had to run a gauntlet of fire usually during the night, which made it harder for the pilots to see where they were going. At one time each cargo plane had a fighter with it to try and mislead the troops below. Many flew at tree top level to evade being in the Nigerians line of fire, cutting down their exposure time to just a few seconds."

===============

The Gowon govt offering a food corridor was busy shooting down RED CROSS Aircraft ferrying food to Biafra

===============================

"From 1968 onward, the war fell into a lengthy stalemate, with Nigerian forces unable to make significant advances into the remaining areas of Biafran control. The blockade of surrounded Biafra led to a humanitarian and propaganda disaster when it emerged that there was widespread civilian hunger and starvation in the besieged Igbo areas. An over used tactic of the Nigerian forces had been the sabotage of farmland, and this was now beginning to affect Biafra’s population. Images of starving Biafran children went around the world. The Biafran government claimed that Nigeria was using hunger and genocide to win the war, and sought aid from the outside world.

"Many world organised volunteer bodies organised blockade-breaking relief flights into Biafra, carrying food, medicines, and sometimes (it was claimed) weapons. Nigeria also claimed that the Biafran government was hiring foreign mercenaries to extend and lengthen the war."

Mercenary wars - Biafra conflict 1966

======================

Federal forces sabotaged farmlands

=========================

WHO IS THIS Robert S. Goldstein?

In a Memorandum From the Country Director for West Africa (Melbourne) to the Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs (Palmer), Washington, April 18, 1969, The memorandum outlined the lobbying activities in Washington of Biafrans Dr. Pius Okigbo, Dr. Eni Njoku, and Dr. Kenneth Dike. - Source: National Archives, RG 59, Records of the Special Coordinator on Relief to Civilian Victims of the Nigerian Civil War, February 1969 - June 1970, Box 514, Lot 70 D 336, Political. Limited Official Use.

NO MENTION WAS MADE OF ANY Robert S. Goldstein?

==================================

-- 60. Memorandum From the President's Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger) to President Nixon, Washington, April 24, 1969 [ PDF version ]

Kissinger warned the President that the Congressional chorus on Nigeria might be rising again, in particular due to a new organization, "Americans for Biafran Relief," with Senator Kennedy taking the lead. Tabs to attachment are included with Kissinger's January 28 memorandum, Document 25

Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 741, Country Files, Africa, Nigeria. Confidential. Sent for information.

-- 61. Telegram 3636 From the Embassy in Nigeria to the Department of State, April 25, 1969, 1518Z [ PDF version ]

The Embassy suggested that "Americans for Biafran Relief" might present an opportunity to put pressure on Lieutenant Colonel Ojukwu, Military Governor of the Eastern Region of Nigeria, to facilitate relief efforts. The Embassy wanted the onus for blocking relief put on Ojukwu.

Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1967-69, POL 27-9, Biafra-Nigeria. Confidential.

-- 80. Memorandum From Roger Morris of the National Security Council Staff to the President's Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger), Washington, July 1, 1969 [ PDF version ]

Morris told Kissinger that the Federal Military Government (FMG) had all but kicked out the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and imposed a de facto embargo on relief flights into Biafra. Airlifts into Biafra could operate only in daylight following inspection in Federal territory. Those from Sao Tome were illegal and subject to interdiction. Morris was apprehensive of negative reaction by Senator Kennedy and the Biafra lobby
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by Ymodulus: 4:06pm On Oct 19, 2012
reading this i am getting to hate gowon and northerns in general.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 4:19am On Oct 20, 2012
There is no doubt that General Gowon implemented measures mean to starve civilians in Biafra. He has since called for by-gones to be by-gones. It is the hawk called Chief Awolowo who campaigned his vision for that policy of starvation in the first place and whose supporters have continued to justify the heinous crimes against humanity commited by Awolowo as merely a legitimate weapon of war.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 20, 2012
Ymodulus: reading this i am getting to hate gowon and northerns in general.
of course I have hated him right from the time my grandmum told me about the civil war.he keeps on saying one nigeria when he knows quite well that its a fool that believes that we are actually one! He will surely suffer for the wickedness he caused to Biafrans.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 8:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
berem: of course I have hated him right from the time my grandmum told me about the civil war.he keeps on saying one nigeria when he knows quite well that its a fool that believes that we are actually one! He will surely suffer for the wickedness he caused to Biafrans.

Gowon is a character that i donot know how to judge. He was generally seen during the war as an undecisive leader. It was his Vice, Awolowo that pretty much took most of the decisions.Again, Awolowo was a much older person that Gowon, so he uswed his grey hair to influence and cajole Gowon into many criminal decisions
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by EkoIle1: 8:49pm On Oct 20, 2012
Another fake news from biafra elomba website. nice try with the 419 news.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 12:47am On Oct 21, 2012
Eko Ile: Another fake news from biafra elomba website. nice try with the 419 news.

Another Yorrobber bastared, trying in vain to deny well documented facts !
The document is from a declassified US state department cable report sent from US embassy in Lagos on the Nigerian civil war situation

http://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/nixon/e5/c15646.htm
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 1:21am On Oct 21, 2012
The genocidal war against Biafrans are also documented by eye witnesses

"[b]Nobody asked the genocidaire awo for food. All that was asked of him was to RELEASE the food sent in by many international humanitarian organizations that he had seized. Hope you are getting it now. He seized the foods sent by the International community meant for the Biafran refugees who were in more than 90% of the cases women, children and babies. This is in itself is a CRIME. A moral fault.

As if that was not enough, he stopped international NGOs from flying directly into Biafra even from the golf of guinea. This is a called a HUMANITARIAN BLOCKADE. In all modern wars, this is NOT acceptable. This is not done. Civilized human beings do not descend this low. 2M women and children and babies suffered and DIED because of this ONE awolowo admitted policy. This is a GENOCIDAL policy. That makes awolowo, Nigeria's first and only GENOCIDAIRE."
[/b][color=#990000]

[/color]
Igboka

http://academic.mu.edu/koriehc/documents/BiafraconferenceABSTRACTS.pdf
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by CuntDestroyer: 2:00am On Oct 21, 2012
Eko Ile: Another fake news from biafra elomba website. nice try with the 419 news.

you are an embarrassment
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:04am On Oct 21, 2012
CuntDestroyer:

you are an embarrassment

To your ancestors....
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by CuntDestroyer: 2:05am On Oct 21, 2012
Eko Ile:

To your ancestors....

to your generations of future yet born b@stards
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by EkoIle1: 2:06am On Oct 21, 2012
cjrane:

Another Yorrobber bastared, trying in vain to deny well documented facts !
The document is from a declassified US state department cable report sent from US embassy in Lagos on the Nigerian civil war situation

http://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/nixon/e5/c15646.htm

ODE 5419 son of failed and disgruntled ashebe, the report said nothing relating to your false title. I guessed you missed where the same report stated how ojuku denied food aid and starving you clowns....

losers

2 Likes

Re: US Documents Support Achebe by sesanrota(m): 3:21am On Oct 21, 2012
Open Letter Of Resignation To Odumegwu Ojukwu

FROM Robert S. Goldstein (Public Relations Representative of Biafra in the United States) (Published in the Morning Post, Lagos, August 17, 1968)

As your Public Relation's Representative in the United States, it is my distasteful duty to tender my resignation based on the following points:

POINT 1 - In November of 1967 when we met in Umuahia, you and your Cabinet were very impressive. You told me of the woes of your little Republic, that thousands of people had died, were dying and more were prepared to die for freedom's sake. You and your Cabinet told me you believed world opinion would help your cause if you could get your story across. You expressed the opinion that very few if any people in the United States knew of the plight of the Biafrans.

You asked me to tell the world that Britain had teamed up with Russia in a conspiracy with the Federal Government of Nigeria to murder every Ibo in Biafra. You suggested I use my talents to induce the Press to write about the Biafran side of the war, as at that time all news came out of Lagos. You will recall I did not take the assignment that day but stayed on several days before deciding to take that job to help win the peace At that time I stated to you and your cabinet that I was taking the assignment making it crystal clear I would try my best to help win the peace not the war.

POINT TWO - I immediately arranged the first world Press conference in Biafra inviting the US Press as well as journalists and television people from England, France, Switzerland, Africa and other parts of the Globe. This was the first news break through. I arranged regular trips into Biafra for the world Press, helped set up stringers, etc., so that your statements and the statements of your Cabinet would be heard. At that time, I was absolutely positive you were right and your cause was a just one in the best interests of the free world and your countrymen.

POINT THREE - Finally the Republic of Biafra was recognized first by Tanzania, then quickly followed by Gabon, the Ivory Coast and Zambia. Our public relations work was paying off, world opinion was starting to side with us. Peace talks were arranged at Kampala. I thought that if anyone walked away from the table it would be the Federal Government. But to my dismay it was Biafra that left the Conference. After all the fighting and killing, I knew that peace would not come easy but I could not understand leaving the Peace Conference until the last point was negotiated and the avenue explored.

POINT FOUR - Then urgent telex messages were received from 'Biafra' telling of tens of thousands of people starving in the refugee camps, the villages, the bush country - stating if something weren’t done in the next few months over a million women, children and aged would be starved to death. I immediately contacted the Press, urgently petitioned the State Department for action on their part. Food, medicine and milk were sent to the only available ports open for immediate shipment to 'Biafra' via land routes through Federal and Biafra territory, under the auspices of world organizations such as the International Red Cross among others.

Then came the incredible answer from 'Biafra' that land corridors could not be acceptable until there was a complete ceasefire, and that an airlift was the only solution to feed the starving. You then appeared before the various Heads of State and representatives of the OAU at Niamey in Niger. I fully expected you to at least accept the world help that was offered your starving throngs. However, you delayed, hoping to use these unfortunates with world sympathy on their side as a tool to further your ambition to achieve war concessions at the upcoming peace talks in Addis Ababa. Thus innocent victims continue to perish needlessly of starvation, the most agonising death that can befall any living creature.

POINT FIVE - This was incredible to me. I am now convinced that I have been used by you and your cabinet to help in military adventures of your origin....using your starving hordes as hostages to negotiate a victory.

If at some later date, following the isuance of this letter, you do concede to allow a mercy land corridor...would you expect me to agree to espouse before the world Press the incredible delay of your decision. What explanation could I honestly give for the needless prolongation of this horror.

Inconceivable acts

I pray this communication may in some small way influence you to move affirmatively, allowing the mercy land corridor to be born. It is inconceivable to me that you would stop the feeding of thousands of your countrymen (under auspicies of world organizations such as the International Red Cross, World Council of Churches and many more) via a land corridor which is the only practical way to bring in food to help at this time. It is inconcivable to me that men of good faith would try to twist world opinion in such a manner as to deceive people into believing that the starvation and hunger that is consuming 'Biafra' is a plot of Britian, Nigeria and others to commit genocide.

POINT SIX - I cannot in all conscience serve you any longer. Nor can I be a party to suppressing the fact that your starving thousands have the food, medicine and milk available to them.....it can and is ready to be delivered through international organizations to you. Only your constant refusal has stopped its delivery. I am this date, tendering my resignation and am returning to Mr. Collins Obih of the African Continental Bank all the fees you have given me (Letter of Credit No. 354 $400,000 US. )

I have sent your representative in New York a Bond in the amount of 800.000 pounds that I was holding in your behalf. I have also this date, sent the Bond of 200,000 pounds issues by the Central Bankl of Nigeria back to them for disposal.

POINT SEVEN - I am now convinced that one Nigeria is the only solution to peace. I also call upon you Mr. Ojukwu to allow your starving people to be fed. Their well-being is of deep concern to me as well as other right thinking people of the world. Your acting in the utmost haste in this matter is in my opinion the first step toward any lasting peace in your country."

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/guest-articles/biafran-documents-goldsteins-open-letter-of-resignation-to-odumegwu-ojukwu.html
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 3:41am On Oct 21, 2012
Eko Ile:

ODE 5419 son of failed and disgruntled ashebe, the report said nothing relating to your false title. I guessed you missed where the same report stated how ojuku denied food aid and starving you clowns....

losers

For the arrogant Yorobbers basterds trying to invent well documented history, Ojukwu was NEVER quoted as using starvation to advance his position. Instead, it is Awolowo who had proudly proclaimed the use of starvation of babies and women as his key weapon of war to pressurize Biafra into surrender. By the way, Awolowo and Gowon knew very well there was NO WAY Biafra could commit suicide and accept to open up a "demilitarized land corridor" from Enugu into the hinterland nor would Biafra accept the military escort of relief planes by Nigerian airforce into Uli airport. Nothing stops the so called "escort" from bombing the airport and it would take only a nervous Biafran anti-aircraft gunner shooting at the escort plane in error for Nigeria to justify its plan to attack the airport.Nigeria was granted the right to inspect the relief planes before they are cleared to take off, but since that didn't give them any military advantage which they sought,they rejected it claiming it didn't have enough personnel to inspect planes!!!
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by EkoIle1: 4:56am On Oct 21, 2012
cjrane:

For the arrogant Yorobbers basterds trying to invent well documented history, Ojukwu was NEVER quoted as using starvation to advance his position. Instead, it is Awolowo who had proudly proclaimed the use of starvation of babies and women as his key weapon of war to pressurize Biafra into surrender. By the way, Awolowo and Gowon knew very well there was NO WAY Biafra could commit suicide and accept to open up a "demilitarized land corridor" from Enugu into the hinterland nor would Biafra accept the military escort of relief planes by Nigerian airforce into Uli airport. Nothing stops the so called "escort" from bombing the airport and it would take only a nervous Biafran anti-aircraft gunner shooting at the escort plane in error for Nigeria to justify its plan to attack the airport.Nigeria was granted the right to inspect the relief planes before they are cleared to take off, but since that didn't give them any military advantage which they sought,they rejected it claiming it didn't have enough personnel to inspect planes!!!

ODE 5419 son of failed and disgruntled ashebe, look at the post above yours. Also, shebi the man did not deny that he prevented food aid planes from landing with food for his people unless they pay him?
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by cjrane: 7:23am On Oct 21, 2012
Eko Ile:

ODE 5419 son of failed and disgruntled ashebe, look at the post above yours. Also, shebi the man did not deny that he prevented food aid planes from landing with food for his people unless they pay him?

By the way i will be honored to have Achebe as a father> Ask your self who your own father is? A village nobody and an impoverished illiterate area boy.
Your distraction from the issue won't work.Aid agencies paid their workers to distribute food. Ojukwu never personally collected any money.The purported blackmail letter of a paid mercenary Robert Goldstein is laughable. These are people that become your friend as long as they are milking you and try to blackmail you as soon as you grow a brain. Several other mercenaries have published books to document to that effect. Go and read a recent book "Far Away in the Sky: A Memoir of the Biafran Airlift" and see if your Golstein is a credible character.
Anyhow, the issue right now is about the genocidal child molester called awolowo. You animals want to change history that he is a beast and war criminal in spite of his heinous crimes against the children of Biafra.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by DexNaija: 3:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
Did any of you actually read through the documents here http://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/nixon/e5/c15646.htm . Did you also check this http://www./us_gov_archive.htm
I read through them and I hardly saw Awo's name being mentioned as an instigator by any of these documents. I saw Gowon being painted as unwilling to go into a war to salvage the situation. His kinsmen saw him as weak, Ojukwu was loved by the revolutionry hippy generation of the 60s becos of his eloquence and Fidel Castro like nature (my thoughts)Gowon in the alternative was too gentle and not too sure of himself (obviously inexperienced). Awo was seen as the only political figure of repute left in Nigeria (wonder where Zik was at this time) and they expected him to tell the Western Governors to secede too.He obviously was not powerful enough to convince those people.
The documents also stated several stalemates on the supply of aids to the biafran people based on Ojukwu's insistence on having the food aid delivered by Air and "at Night"? while the FMG, the US and UK insisted this be done during the day.
The Nigeria Military shot down a Red Cross plane (just one was mentioned in the documents) as they claimed they could not get any confirmation of what the plane was carrying. One Biafran plan was discovered to be manned by Sweddish national and there were evidence of support from France and Private American citizens...Yet all these years what we saw were armoured tanks (purpotedly) manufactured by the Igbos, attempts to manufacture Airplanes....I really wonder why these feats have not been tried again....where these attempts actually sponsored by French and American Mecenaries?
Gowon was said to have insisted on allowing aids to the Biafrans via veto as the whole council was against this...Is this the same man the Igbos still think is wicked and Satanic?
The Igbo houses in Lagos owned by Ojukwu and co were never aquired by the Govt in Lagos, yet Awolowo wanted to aquire their wealth?
Ojukwu was shown to have been warned several times that the world would not support it should he secede, but he still went on, obviously becos at that time the Army people from the eastern part were a total of 7000 and better trained than the 9000 from the Nigeria army and he could call on his people to die for Biafra as reserves while Nigeria people from the west may not...He was wrong, the US people were wrong,and both were suprised as the Nigeria army suprised the world and rebounded quickly.
I ask just like Awo asked in the early 80's how come after the war, the top ranking Biafran officers and politicians were all looking robust and the hungry people were the people in the vilages?
Yes I know I am bound to get a lot of backlash, I ask my Igbo people to read these documents with an open mind and look inwards read all these documents and let us all see how we can heal these wounds, even if we can't stay together as a nation after this, we must NEVER fight over this again and we MUST leave peacefully with each other.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by DuduNegro: 4:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
Biafra vitimized Igbos, not Nigeria.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by drnoel: 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2013
berem: of course I have hated him right from the time my grandmum told me about the civil war.he keeps on saying one nigeria when he knows quite well that its a fool that believes that we are actually one! He will surely suffer for the wickedness he caused to Biafrans.
He will not suffer anything. Is he still not alive, has God struck him down yet? Don't allow sentiments cloud ur thoughts. Read the piece with clear eyes and learn from it. 4get hatred cos the crime was committed in the past. If the Nigerian government has enough sense to want him to face the music in Vienna for his war crimes, then fine. If they push it under the table like am sure they would then why bother urself.
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 14, 2013
@Dexnaija, well articulated!!!
Re: US Documents Support Achebe by tomakint: 5:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
I am still of the opinion that if there is a way the Pretender-In-Command can be made to answer for his greed where our once beloved ‘Bakassi’ was turned into an irredenta based on his naïve judgment just to placate the blood suckers in his government, truly, Gowon seems clueless about what was before him.

One thing is clear in all this, Gowon was a used-and-dumped property during the ill-fated Nigerian-Biafran war if not, as the Head of State of a government that partook in that war by now he ought to have released series of books, memoirs, detailing his parts during the war from a truism angle. For over forty years, Gowon is yet to talk of something new in that war which I know he is still holding closely to his chest for fear of “open convictions” except for the usual, old school psychobabbles we have been hearing time and again. While others were busy exonerating their “dark activities” during the war, Achebe (whose other names Chinua means “God Fights My Battle”) was busy preparing his all-time best seller, “There Was A Country” (what an imaginative name for a book) which is all over the world now and may be heading for a Pulitzer Award soon! The 333-page book is loaded and to a large extent quite unbiased and very revealing, those who are not contented with its contents are challenged to write their rebuttals.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mohammed Sani Top Boko Haram Member Escape / Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie And The Limits Of Art, By Kehinde Owolabi / Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Being A Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.