Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,978 members, 7,828,459 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. (10720 Views)

What's So Special About Male Children? / Left Handed People: Whats So Special About Them! / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Torch1(m): 11:00am On Oct 21, 2012
Sam Milla: hahhahahahaha.

Onye emetukwala Eke Okuko m aka!

It is divine. Simple as that.

hahahaha... Dat reminds me of d role Osuofia(Nkem Owoh) played in one Igbo movie.

@op.. I think it is a sign of respect for the head of the family!
My Grandpa don't play with dat gizzard when he waz alive.
It is part of our culture!
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by salam001(m): 11:07am On Oct 21, 2012
yeye4live: What. I kno s dat d ibos eat lizzard n nt gizzard

D only tribe dat eat lizzard in naija grin
hmmmm,attention seeker,smh.,when did igbos become chinese?
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Lobolintin(m): 11:12am On Oct 21, 2012
Am a traditionalist....and an igbo man... Diz tradition has bin in existance since d beginin of d Nri kingdom... Am nt d 1st son,bt if my popman nt around,my eldr bro digest those parts,if he aint around,i do justice to that,..remenber when my sis mistakenly gave md gizard,tho was abt eatin it,that day..my house was on serious fire.... Guys,its above us,just as d caste system whch we cnt truly xplain ... I and my guys bought chcken yesterday,i was beliv 2 b d eldest,so d parts was reservd 4 my honorary consumption....

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by slimyem: 11:16am On Oct 21, 2012
ifyalways:
You are an UZANGA of no known lineage. Crying all over the board because of gizzard?!

So, did you ever get to taste chicken(head, bones or limbs) as a kid or your parents ate all? What "chicken plans" do you have for your kids ?

Okpo Idoma!
ifyalways: Uboma, if your parents denied you gizzard, go take out your frustrations on them.

@OP, why don't you(and others) ask your parents?which part of the chicken were you given(if any)?can you afford to have as much gizzards as you want now?would you deny your children gizzard too?

...and i always thought you were modest and decent with your comments...
Smh!

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Coolval222(m): 11:18am On Oct 21, 2012
donigspain: IMO, I don't think there's any spiritual undertone to the tradition of reserving the gizzard and the 'an.al region' of animals (mostly fowls) for the most elderly male character in an Igbo family. I think it's more a sign of respect. But males, in their egotistic nature, have attached so much interest in this 'tradition' that it now seems like a 'sacred ritual' in Igbo Land.
In those days, my dad never jokes with those body parts.
seconded
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Ekans: 11:18am On Oct 21, 2012
yeye4live: What. I kno s dat d ibos eat lizzard n nt gizzard

D only tribe dat eat lizzard in naija grin
Your post name says it all.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by tnktosin(m): 11:22am On Oct 21, 2012
Its simply tradition. In my place the head of d fish, bush meat or any animal is reserved for popsy if u don't want a sovereign family meeting held for u. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:22am On Oct 21, 2012
Ifyalways!? I na ewe kwa ewe ta o! Once pkasu gi iwe?
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 21, 2012
aruzuoke: I don't know whether this practice is obtainable in other tribes. Why is it that the gizzard of the chicken is always reserved for the head of the family.
its like that everywhere, I hope you are not looking for trouble?
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Dvessel(m): 11:28am On Oct 21, 2012
Well i think dis is an old tradition of realy reaffirming d head of d family in igbo land. Its a sign of respect...bak den 4 u to rear a chiken 2 point of maturity,its by d grace of God..survice thieves,meanagiatis(loruloru) all d rest. But nw we av poultry farms dat are producing edible and bird flu free chicken so who thinks abt reserving 1 gizard 4 d head of d family. D same igbo land(owerri) i went to 4 days ago, i bought over N2500 worth of roasted gizards in ama hausa,wit a bottle of nite train. My broda n sister dat nite,not only do become d head of d family,i was made d head of autonomous community."EZE NGWORI 1" of okpatu land.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by mimi13: 11:33am On Oct 21, 2012
we once cooked as a family despite living in diff flats, my dad n his brother that is. My mum n aunt rotated turns each week to cook. Once it got our turn i felt for my mum and if we had to use chicken, we killed 2. And in dat big pot of "Ofe akwu" filled with 2 whole chicken parts, she must find the 2 gizzards n the 2 chicken azz to serve my Dad n his brother and notn else happens till she finds it. If d chicken happens to have those lil eggs in it, she reserves that part for me the last born....lol, how time flies. Now dad is late, we dnt cook wt my uncles family anymore, she either takes those parts or offers it to my elder brother.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Sealeddeal(m): 11:35am On Oct 21, 2012
Not only for elders.its equally for male fold.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Mcdondayan: 11:38am On Oct 21, 2012
salam001: Nonsense thread,don't generalize.!!,anybody eats The Gizzard in my home
Aboki, are you igbo?
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Youngzedd(m): 11:47am On Oct 21, 2012
passionate88: what of those people wey carry cocain put 4 garri go hajj?.. Them b ibo or yoruba?.

No mind them, na them do pass.
I wonder the kind of things they do there.

Remember this is the only one that we know.
Hotel bed don suffer, the spring go scatter.

Still thinking why the sent our women back.....thinking.........

Make I stop here b4 I expose everything here and now.

I mean no harm pls.
Just passing by.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by eduson55(m): 11:48am On Oct 21, 2012
Rubbish threa..d

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ifyalways(f): 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2012
rofl.
Make una no chop me, i no be "gizzard".

OP, kpele. Enjoy your thread. . . But is it not logical that he who sweats it out would have the best part of the game?na drumsticks you wan make your papa chop?
Fortunately or unfortunately, this thread has shown that kids would continue having "fowl head" while the dad gets all the juicy part.
On the other hand, some kids only smelled "chicken head or neck" just once a year.

Eduson's gif is the "thing".
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by obyikye(f): 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
hahahahahaha
this guy, no be small Akpuru otule...
veryfunny guy.
laugh made my lauch come from myears lolz

Okoro2015: Poster is on point.

You don't joke with Gizzard (Eko) or the Hip region (Akpuru otule) of a fowl in my Family of those days. It's strictly reserved for my Extended family head.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2012
I would assume that because you only have one piece in a chicken and if the head gives it up, who knows when else another chicken will be slaughtered? lol.

Anyway given the way things are now, I don't think family heads care since you can easily buy as much kilos of gizzard as you need.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Baawaa(m): 1:35pm On Oct 21, 2012
passionate88: what of those people wey carry cocain put 4 garri go hajj?.. Them b ibo or yoruba?.
They are yorubas,relatives of IDOWUSWAP grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Diogo1(m): 1:41pm On Oct 21, 2012
@op nice question.

I'm just surprised no one has given an answer yet. The gizzard and lap/drumstick is for the man while the waist (nyash) is for the woman. The head of the chicken is for first son while the leg and arms are shared for the children.

It is good to remember the setting in the olden times when you had a polygamous families. When the chicken is killed, to ensure it went round, it was shared as above. The head could take only the gizzard while the rest of the family just the way an older sibling can remain for the younger ones. Also remember that in these settings, after cooking the woman serves the whole food she will not be there as it was a male dominated setting. The men will share the meat and leave the nyash/waist (where d faeces comes from) behind. The woman later consumes it as her part. It was also believed that the waist helped make women have strong waist which is helpful during delivery.

It evolved over time becoming a norm/culture/tradition. It is also obtainable when you kill a goat or cow in the village (where there is still unity/peace and where our culture is still practised), the oldest man in the clan and your kinsmen get certain parts.

Finally, it is our culture and a mark of respect. If it is not your turn yet, wait for it, it will come.

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by mrczar(m): 1:46pm On Oct 21, 2012
uboma:

if u have nothing meaniful to respond to the op's question, pls learn to simply pass or stand-by and learn. It may be 2012 but the culture of reserving the gizard for the head of a household is stil very much practised.

@op, weldone for bringing up such question. I hv also wondered why too. I hope to learn from fellow Nlanders(those who know the reason and ready to share).
I concure jooooooor
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by uboma(m): 1:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
ifyalways: rofl.
Make una no chop me, i no be "gizzard".

OP, kpele. Enjoy your thread. . . But is it not logical that he who sweats it out would have the best part of the game?na drumsticks you wan make your papa chop?
Fortunately or unfortunately, this thread has shown that kids would continue having "fowl head" while the dad gets all the juicy part.
On the other hand, some kids only smelled "chicken head or neck" just once a year.

Eduson's gif is the "thing".

its good that the comments of others have humbled u to appologize to the op. Dnt u think u owe me an appology too?

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by tpia5: 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Feraz(m): 3:39pm On Oct 21, 2012
idowuswap: Nothing wey igbo no fit eat they can eat toilet flies.igbo wey chop vulture.igbo wey dey carry cocaine go see them 4 prison like flies.....
looking for the word to describe you with but it seems the dictionary never found your kind relevant because calling you silly would be an insult to silly people.....keep talking, someday you'd say something intelligent....
I wonder why it's always like that in Igboland because my mum does the same...my dad doesn't like the arse of a fowl so he keeps that for me..... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by EreluY(f): 5:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
[size=18pt]BEWARE OF VULTURES' GIZZARD.[/size]
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by FASTLINK1: 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2012
Just like Kidney and testis of a cow, goat. and so on grin it is a mark of respect, and digging deep, you'd find out that, those parts of meat do contain no bone and elders of those days either have one dental issue or the other, hence the so much like for a softer meats.

And logically, gizzard is taken to be that part of the fowl that does the hardest work in the digestion of food for birds, therefore should be taken by the eldest in the family. smiley
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Turbocharged: 9:47pm On Oct 21, 2012
Ejiné: I think Ifyalways is a gizzard-eater grin
Woman, change your ways oo!!! grin
What do u expect from pple who haz no father or any known lineage.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by dlox147(m): 9:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
ifyalways:
You are an UZANGA of no known lineage. Crying all over the board because of gizzard?!

So, did you ever get to taste chicken(head, bones or limbs) as a kid or your parents ate all? What "chicken plans" do you have for your kids ?

Okpo Idoma!
. It is obvious u r a spoilt brat! Oda wise why shld u talk whn men r talkin?
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by geniusbami(m): 6:32am On Oct 22, 2012
I'm no Igbo, but when U, as the one who drops the soup money, tastes that gizzard part of the chicken, U always want it to yourself, more so that there's no 2nd part, like the lap.

If my wife venture chop am, my eye go red o!
Even sef, I never see any V-VIP I can leave it for.

So, it's nothing spiritual, it's just a way we men exact ourselves.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Humptydumpty(f): 7:40am On Oct 22, 2012
Peoples' culture is still peoples'culture no matter how modernized d World seems to be,it can neva be 4gotten or thrown away so all u bigots try n learn cos u dnt knw where u'll be 2moro or u simply back off!
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by uboma(m): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2012
Humpty dumpty: Peoples' culture is still peoples'culture no matter how modernized d World seems to be,it can neva be 4gotten or thrown away so all u bigots try n learn cos u dnt knw where u'll be 2moro or u simply back off!

U are very right on point...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde / "oriki Eko": Who Originated It? / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.