Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO (4190 Views)

Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO / Vision 20 20 20: A Myth Or A Daydream? / Vision 20:2020 Not Realisable -United Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by semid4lyfe(m): 11:07pm On Oct 19, 2012
The United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) has described as an illusion and self deceit the current efforts being made by the Nigerian government to become one of world’s leading economies by the year 2020, saying indices showed that the government is only making efforts through statements and no much work.

Speaking through its representative in Nigeria, Dr. Patrick Kormawa, during the 45th Annual Report and Accounts of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, Ikeja Branch, the UN agency whose responsibility is to promote industrial development for poverty reduction and ensure globalization and environmental sustainability, said it was highly disappointed in Nigeria because those in government have continued to work in confusion.

Dr. Kormawa also said it was shameful that while the country cannot provide adequate room for the growth of domestic investors, its government officials are chasing shadows by travelling round the country in search of direct foreign investors.

“We at UNIDO are disappointed because this is a country that goes two steps forward and three steps backwards and this will not help our productivity.

“The country changes policies like it changes ministers and government and you cannot run things like that,” he said, adding that investors want to see consistency of policies and their implementation.

He explained that for any country to win the interest of investors, it must first create a solid business atmosphere for its domestic investors unlike what currently obtains in Nigeria with its tough bureaucracy and lack of government presence in the in the manufacturing sector.

Dr. Kormawa lamented that as a result of the harsh business climate in Nigeria, citizens now go to other countries like China to invest, bring back Chinese products for boys to go into the streets to sell.

He said this was a disservice the country and its government had brought upon themselves.

Comparing Nigeria with Tunisia in terms of business environment and global competitiveness, he said investors would prefer the latter because the government in that country had consistently strengthened the environment.

He lamented that Nigerian leaders have been travelling to other countries including Brazil, which it started the race for development with, yet had not learnt enough to transform the country.

He said though Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economies as a result of government’s effort, this had not reflected in the country’s unemployment challenges and poverty rate.

According to him, while other countries are looking for new ways to boost development and ensure they bring in more investors, Nigerian leaders are busy exporting its inherited wealth and wasting the funds without priorities.

“It is disheartening that the country with abundant wealth of natural resources, which I refer to as inherited wealth has failed to transform that wealth into productive wealth.

“Instead, it has continued to ship wealth across the Atlantic Ocean creating jobs and wealth elsewhere, and perpetuating poverty and joblessness for its growing population. It is bad business that must be reversed,” he said.

He also said Nigerians still carry money in Ghana-must-go bags while other countries have gone far in monetary policies, adding “Nigeria is very far from growth. I don’t know when we would get to the innovation-driven economy, but I know that one day, we would get there.”

Kormawa criticised the country’s interest rate which he put at about 20 per cent in comparison with some countries with just three per cent interest rate and wondered how the government expected businesses to thrive.

He also said that his organisation had a lot of documents to support Nigeria’s leap into one of the best economies in the world but that the government was yet to explore such assistance.

According to him, the Nigerian government must go back to the basics, know exactly what it wants and the best way to meet the goals.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/19/nigeria-cant-meet-vision-20-20-target-says-unido/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 19, 2012
It's not like we were even expecting it to meet vision 20-20 anyway.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 19, 2012
vision 2020? when light no de? I laugh in spanish.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by zumbigbo(m): 11:54pm On Oct 19, 2012
20-20 vision, we are still waiting to get to 18-05 vision.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by ballabriggs: 11:56pm On Oct 19, 2012
lol

Who dey talk 2020?

Na UK and France we wan catch by 2050 undecided undecided undecided

Yeye man
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by chymystique(f): 12:04am On Oct 20, 2012
A̶̲̥̅♍ not Suprised tho sheey na 8yrs wey remain... Vision 2020 ma ass!undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Christambasador: 12:11am On Oct 20, 2012
U guys should not be negative... We will meet vision 2020 but it will be in year 2050
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by tevinsolt: 12:20am On Oct 20, 2012
before nko?
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 20, 2012
vision 2020 ko,nightmare 2020 ni. are we ever serious in this country.....no basic amenities,our leader are just pathetic. i spent 4hours on holdup,due to bad road today.nigeria is a wasted country.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by wellmax(m): 12:33am On Oct 20, 2012
Why is UNIDO talking, even Yar'adua knows its not possible.
It is even wrong to say Nigeira is trailing the developed nations, for God's sake , we are not even on the same track at all.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 20, 2012
dahonestboss: vision 2020? when light no de? I laugh in spanish.
grin abeg no kill me with laugh o!
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Ijebulogic(m): 12:42am On Oct 20, 2012
Christambasador: U guys should not be negative... We will meet vision 2020 but it will be in year 2050

grin.....Nice One!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by misreal(m): 12:48am On Oct 20, 2012
my ppl dnt lose hope with God nigeria can get there under two years.its just because we av negleted God.lets all go bck to him nd watch how he will handle our economy.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by meksroland: 12:53am On Oct 20, 2012
We won't even meet up in 2050, when Lagos and some part of Ogun state will soon be wiped off and disappear how can it work when Lagos the commercial city has the worst drainage system and the worst road network on earth and the baddest pot whole and gabbage everywhere and Oando is busy making waves. I pity the Yorubas cos their lands have been bought by churches, soon Lagos and Ogun will be not fit for business and east will rule the world when the time to be among top economy in the world. Prophesy. b
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by stunna2(m): 1:17am On Oct 20, 2012
hmmmmmm, one day people here seems to be high on shiiit and say rubbish like electricity is everywhere now in naija and the country will soon arrive...but on a day like today and a thread like this, people speak their heart and the truth and that is that naija never ready to start the journey to greatness!!

vision 20 -20!!

when we r ready to start the journey every naija person and the rest of the world will know as it will be self evident everywhere you look and in our attitude!

i work hard and wait...
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by maxani: 1:27am On Oct 20, 2012
brilliant! clear and precise. This is the kind of mind we need in Aso rock. This UNIDO man for president by 2020!
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by kingibrahim(m): 1:32am On Oct 20, 2012
Add me +255655455944
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by wellmax(m): 1:46am On Oct 20, 2012
meksroland:

Another mumu on the loose. Mtcheeeeew
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Adamsdelrio(m): 3:25am On Oct 20, 2012
If vision 20:20:20 target can't be met, why should we be bothered about 2050?! Stop bothering our ears with target dat can't be met.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by femmy2010(m): 3:31am On Oct 20, 2012
I knew it b4 and certainly did majority of Nigerians so no surprise.
Soon it would be a vision 2030 and our Govt seems to forget that time fly.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by str8talk1: 4:33am On Oct 20, 2012
Even d mad man on d street knows dat. datz y he has not bn taken off d str.
Itz obvious dat dis assessment has really reiterated d assertions of sane minds dat has bn observing d trend of development in Nigeria. Dat we wia being ruled by wishful thinkers dat keeps on junketting d globe in both self & corporate disillusions.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by troy20(m): 4:59am On Oct 20, 2012
misreal: my ppl dnt lose hope with God nigeria can get there under two years.its just because we av negleted God.lets all go bck to him nd watch how he will handle our economy.
u r a big fool.pple like u r our biggest problem.i mite even waste u if i had a gun rite nw

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by amokemi(m): 5:50am On Oct 20, 2012
First Vision 2000, later 2010, now 2020. We just seems to be shifting the goal postand yet never meeting the target.2015 is almost here for the attainment of MDGs and yet we are thousands of miles away.
Thank God this is coming from a UN agency. Maybe they will believe and not see it as a ranting of the opposition. Waiting for the barkdog's response.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by try69: 5:58am On Oct 20, 2012
misreal: my ppl dnt lose hope with God nigeria can get there under two years.its just because we av negleted God.lets all go bck to him nd watch how he will handle our economy.

TYPICAL NIGERIAN MINDSET..no wonder pastors easily deceive them with how God will built a house without the owner buying a brick..smh
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by ebichy(f): 6:00am On Oct 20, 2012
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Speechless hold my mouth oh! 2020 no b 2015 again. Very soon na 20100! Leaders lead d same way u lead ur families, if ur children don't see wt to eat for a day how do u feel? If dey r jobless nd confused how wuld u feel? We need leaders dt will love Nigeria not those dt will exploit her heritage. We need leaders dt will encourage our leaders of tomorrow to do good for diz nation. Chopers of national cake chop jeje oh make una keep small for us too! "ONE NIGERIA"
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by nairaman66(m): 6:05am On Oct 20, 2012
No Vision to meet abeg.. Oga Jona is a testament to dis!!
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by dridowu: 6:08am On Oct 20, 2012
Hmmmmmmmm, but Nigeria has been told dat our economy would ovacom England and France by 2050, so na deceive
https://www.nairaland.com/1078583/nigerian-economy-overtake-uk-france
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by chucky234(m): 6:40am On Oct 20, 2012
When GEJ and his incompetent cabinet said Nigeria will become one of the world powers by 2020 they actually thought 2020 is like 50yrs from 2012,that's why this govt remains joke of the century.
A fraudulent govt that performs only on papers and verbal analysis,2020 is 8yrs away and GEJ along with his cohorts are still struggling to find their bearings,all talk and no physical evidence.
Our domestic debt is above N6tn,power is still as worst as ever yet billions has spent on gas and effective maintenance of power plants installed by OBJ.
I know Billyonaire and his dumb followers will show up with their ridiculous ideas to prove this fact wrong,we are waiting for 2020.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by chucky234(m): 6:55am On Oct 20, 2012
kingibrahim: Add me +255655455944
Add you so you go make the vision 2020 a reality abi why you say make dem add you na.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by kawu4u: 7:50am On Oct 20, 2012
GEJ can nt met up wit anytin dan fail d country in shot we need a change frm wen ever part of d country cos we need an active and God fearing president dat has an aim ,objective and focus d country has lost everytin so we need a man nt a wman
Re: Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 20, 2012
meksroland: We won't even meet up in 2050, when Lagos and some part of Ogun state will soon be wiped off and disappear how can it work when Lagos the commercial city has the worst drainage system and the worst road network on earth and the baddest pot whole and gabbage everywhere and Oando is busy making waves. I pity the Yorubas cos their lands have been bought by churches, soon Lagos and Ogun will be not fit for business and east will rule the world when the time to be among top economy in the world. Prophesy. b
Yes, We Yoruba sold our lands to the churches. But you igbo, you sold your lands to kidnappers. Which is better undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck has PHD Appointed 124 From Nigeria And 5 Western Nigeria, 2 countries / Ben Carson Exposes Taqiyya / APC National Secretariat Situation Room On Ondo Elections Abuja In Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.