Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,341 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? (4511 Views)

3m Nigerians Living Illegally In UK – Senate Committee / French Foreign Legion: A Legitimate Option For Nigerians Living Illegally In EU. / Nigerians Living Illegally In China Are Now Going Through Hell! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 7:53am On Oct 20, 2012
Hello house,

A friend confided in me a couple of days ago that he "has no papers". He said he had to run away from his job as the immigration were doing spot checks etc. He has been here 8 years. Things are now tight for him. Apart from returning to Nigeria, which he doesn't want to do, what are his chances? Prayers??

He has a wife here but I don't know if they are legally married or just co-habiting. I don't know if they have children.

Thanks.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by pheyikemi: 8:04am On Oct 20, 2012
D thing is, if d british lawmakers get hold of him, i dont think he'll like d ordeal he'll be made to face b4 deportation back to nigeria. Beta tel him to com back home jeje at least some pple are making it in Nigeria or beta still he can re-apply 4d visa
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 8:07am On Oct 20, 2012
pheyikemi: or beta still he can re-apply 4d visa

Thanks for your input. Can he re-apply over here? I feel so sorry for him and didn't know what to say. He's a nice guy really and if he hadn't confided in me, I wouldn't have known he's illegal.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by pheyikemi: 8:10am On Oct 20, 2012
He'll come back to do dat himself o, because if he ask pple to process it 4him, they may dupe him
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 8:27am On Oct 20, 2012
Omo Alata: Hello house,

A friend confided in me a couple of days ago that he "has no papers". He said he had to run away from his job as the immigration were doing spot checks etc. He has been here 8 years. Things are now tight for him. Apart from returning to Nigeria, which he doesn't want to do, what are his chances? Prayers??

He has a wife here but I don't know if they are legally married or just co-habiting. I don't know if they have children.

Thanks.

Try and find out from him if they are married and have kid(s) or co-habiting but got kids together.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
justwise:

Try and find out from him if they are married and have kid(s) or co-habiting but got kids together.

I'll ask, thanks.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Otutu1(m): 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2012
Good guy bad situation. Pack ur stuff and come back home bro.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by kokorunna(m): 1:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
SO MANY NIGERIANS IN THE UK WITHOUT PAPERS, MAYBE HE SEEK FOR ASYLUM.

THE PROBLEM IS MOSTLY OF THEM STAY IN SOUTH EAST WHERE MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS AND AFRICANS ARE AND THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS TEND TO COME ROUND THOSE AREAS
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
kokorunna: SO MANY NIGERIANS IN THE UK WITHOUT PAPERS, MAYBE HE SEEK FOR ASYLUM.

THE PROBLEM IS MOSTLY OF THEM STAY IN SOUTH EAST WHERE MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS AND AFRICANS ARE AND THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS TEND TO COME ROUND THOSE AREAS

On what ground will he claim asylum?
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by kokorunna(m): 1:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
I DON'T KNOW MAYBE HE SHOULD FELLOW NIGERIANS IN THOSE AREAS BUT ITS POSSIBLE
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 2:00pm On Oct 20, 2012
kokorunna: I DON'T KNOW MAYBE HE SHOULD FELLOW NIGERIANS IN THOSE AREAS BUT ITS POSSIBLE

Its not possible for him to claim asylum as a Nigerian, there is no war going on in Nigeria, no natural disaster, no economic hardship and besides he is 8yrs late to claim one.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by MIB1(m): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
justwise:

Its not possible for him to claim asylum as a Nigerian, there is no war going on in Nigeria, no natural disaster, no economic hardship and besides he is 8yrs late to claim one.

shockedshocked..did u just say no Economic hardship
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2012
M I B :

He means y'all not queueing up bowl in hand waiting for aid grin
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2012
M I B :

In regards to asylum yes there is non.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by claremont(m): 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2012
If he has kids born to a British wife, then he may argue his case to stay legally based on family ties. I would never advice anyone living illegally in a developed country to go back home, doing so amounts to sheer sadism. Go home and do what if I may ask?! Non-sense!

1 Like

Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2012
claremont: If he has kids born to a British wife

I don't know if they have kids but I know his wife is also illegal and has no job.

1 Like

Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by dorox(m): 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2012
I don't know what he can do right now, but having lived in the uk illegally for eight years, another six would qualify him to apply for indefinite leave to remain if he can prove to the home office that he has been living in the uk for 14 years. Of course, a lot can happen in 6 years, he may very well regullarise his stay, but failure to do that he should make sure that he is able to trace his history to the day he landed in the uk.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
Best he goes back to Nigeria . A friend of mine is in the same situation. It is not easy cos he will be living like a fugitive. I know are few guys who are illegal and are doing fine
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by claremont(m): 9:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
dorox: I don't know what he can do right now, but having lived in the uk illegally for eight years, another six would qualify him to apply for indefinite leave to remain if he can prove to the home office that he has been living in the uk for 14 years. Of course, a lot can happen in 6 years, he may very well regullarise his stay, but failure to do that he should make sure that he is able to trace his history to the day he landed in the uk.
This is another option for him. While waiting, he can go for cash-in-hand jobs to sustain himself and his family.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by manmustwac(m): 10:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
claremont:
This is another option for him. While waiting, he can go for cash-in-hand jobs to sustain himself and his family.
You think its easy to find cash in hand job. Even if u do and u get a job working for our niherian people they will most likely pay u less than the national minimum wage if they know u don't have papers.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 11:22pm On Oct 20, 2012
justwise:

On what ground will he claim asylum?

boko haram
naija delta crisis
persecution of christians in jos
hell, he can even claim he's a faggöt!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Krucifax(m): 2:55am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

I don't know if they have kids but I know his wife is also illegal and has no job.

There isn't a great deal ur friend can do.The basis of entry and staying in the U.K are pretty clear. The only other option would be marriage to a BRIT/EU Citizen. But surely even he knows this. Is there more to this than he has let on? Chances are he's gone through another route that was declined,after which he's decided to rough it out!!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:24am On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

boko haram
naija delta crisis
persecution of christians in jos
hell, he can even claim he's a faggöt!

grin grin grin there was no Boko Haram when he left Nigeria 8yrs ago, Niger Delta crisis is not a security threat to all Nigerians the militants there kidnaps mainly oil company workers and destroy pipelines.

If he is persecuted by Christians in the north then he can move to East or South, claiming to be gay will fail just as other who tried that route failed.

If he live was in danger by the crisis in Nigeria then he would have claimed asylum at yrs ago when he arrived in the UK, i guess he came in legally and things did not work out and he visa ran out.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:25am On Oct 21, 2012
dorox: I don't know what he can do right now, but having lived in the uk illegally for eight years, another six would qualify him to apply for indefinite leave to remain if he can prove to the home office that he has been living in the uk for 14 years. Of course, a lot can happen in 6 years, he may very well regullarise his stay, but failure to do that he should make sure that he is able to trace his history to the day he landed in the uk.

That is another tough option for him, if he can survive another 6yrs then yrs that is another route to take.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:29am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

That is really difficult situation for both of them, how did they manage to survive? If they got kid then they may start fighting legal battle from that angle but then again immigration lawyers will want to milk them as the case goes into months or yrs.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 7:02am On Oct 21, 2012
justwise: [/b]

That is really difficult situation for both of them, how did they manage to survive?

He was working until a couple of weeks ago when he had to leave his job abruptly. I don't know if he'll want to marry a lady for the purpose of 'papers'. I know him in the church and they preach against that there. Won't it be hypocrisy

Anyway, I'll ask him more when/if I see him today.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 7:12am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

He was working until a couple of weeks ago when he had to leave his job abruptly. I don't know if he'll want to marry a lady for the purpose of 'papers'. I know him in the church and they preach against that there. Won't it be hypocrisy

I totally understand what you mean, even if he wants to go that route, it gets harder now because you have to stay with that person for 5yrs and not 2yrs again before he gets free of the 'arrangee'
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Vicjustice: 7:34am On Oct 21, 2012
justwise: ...no economic hardship...
Oh, really?
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 7:48am On Oct 21, 2012
Vicjustice: Oh, really?

Yes to merit asylum claim. Nigeria is not poor, we have poor managers.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Vicjustice: 9:30am On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

Yes to merit asylum claim. Nigeria is not poor, we have poor managers.
That makes sense though.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by claremont(m): 9:56am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

I wonder what his Pastor would advice him to do grin. . .
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 1:33pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
grin grin grin there was no Boko Haram when he left Nigeria 8yrs ago, Niger Delta crisis is not a security threat to all Nigerians the militants there kidnaps mainly oil company workers and destroy pipelines.

but there is boko haram now......if he claims his house has now been destroyed and his parents got killed, they would grant him asylum!

If he is persecuted by Christians in the north then he can move to East or South, claiming to be gay will fail just as other who tried that route failed.

who does he know in the south or east? that would be a breach of his human right if you ask him to move to a place he's never stayed before all his life. the brits know about nigeria more than you think! nigerian females in the uk are using the homosèxuality technicality to get their asylum! nigeria is one of the worst countries to be homoerotic - if he has a good lawyer, he would win!

If he live was in danger by the crisis in Nigeria then he would have claimed asylum at yrs ago when he arrived in the UK, i guess he came in legally and things did not work out and he visa ran out.

like the op said, he did not come here legally - his identity is not known by the home office! if he came into the country in 2004, it means he didn't fingerprint in lagos cos that system was not in place as at then! so this dude is flexible and can claim whatever - if i were him, i would back-date the year i arrived in the uk to 1997.....the home office would not have any proof that he hasn't been in the country since then!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thailand And Cambodia Visa Enquiries / Why Do Nigerians Love America So Much? / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Not Proud Of Their Jobs (photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.