Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,214 members, 7,811,589 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Christian Tattoos - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Tattoos (8473 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / The Bible Forbids Tattoos / Chris Okotie - Tattoos And Plastic Surgery Are Not Sins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 3:47pm On Jan 25, 2008
I dont get it.
Re: Christian Tattoos by pilgrim1(f): 3:57pm On Jan 25, 2008
D-reloaded:

I don't get it.

I feel you. Likewise, I never did "get it" when I was a Muslim - about Muslim tattoos! Besides, my perplexity was all the more heightened by the fact that Fatimah was attributed (?) with what has come to be known as "Hand of Fatima Tattoo Design" (see image here).

However, it cannot be denied that many Muslims are known to enjoy tattooing:

"That said, in many Arabic areas that are devoutly Muslim,
tattooing is quite common" . . . >>> read more

Cheers.
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 4:20pm On Jan 25, 2008
Is the Qu'ran against tattoos, pilgrim?

I mean the bible specifically says

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28)

yet you see people going around with their Jesus fish, Commandment scroll or whatever "Christian" tattoo and i just dont get who they are fooling

I guess one could say they do it cos that "commandment" was in the Old Testament and msot Christian follow the New Testament. But even in the new testament, the bible doesnt exactly say you shouldnt smoke but I mean it's quite obviously that it's not favorably looked on based on

Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, 1 Corinthians 6:19.

Honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20.

So I would think the same goes for tattoos being printed all over the "Christian" body as well.

or am I crazy?
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 4:29pm On Jan 25, 2008
D-reloaded:

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28)

yet you see people going around with their Jesus fish, Commandment scroll or whatever "Christian" tattoo and i just don't get who they are fooling

I guess one could say they do it because that "commandment" was in the Old Testament and msot Christian follow the New Testament. But even in the new testament, the bible doesnt exactly say you shouldnt smoke but I mean it's quite obviously that it's not favorably looked on based on

Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, 1 Corinthians 6:19.

Honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20.

So I would think the same goes for tattoos being printed all over the "Christian" body as well.

or am I crazy?

no you are not crazy cheesy
I will say though that you're onto something when you say it's in the old covenant and we're not bound to it else we'd have to do every other single old school commandment as well.
However I wouldn't compare it to smoking, smoking is definately bad for you, but getting a tatoo isn't. And there's actually christian tatoo organizations out there who are using their gifts and tatoo conventions as a means of reaching other tatoo enthusiasts. . .now can I say that they're wrong? certainly not. They're redeeming the thing and returning it as a service to God.

However we can't ignore that tatoos are usually attached with negative connotations and we should avoid every appearance of evil. A christian being tatooed head to foot will draw adverse attention and that does not glorify God. But I think if in moderation and sincerity someone wants to use it as a means of creating evangelistic opportunity - we can't begrude them for that. Especially since the bible doesn't restrict it. If it isn't detrimental to them, and their conscience clears them then power to them. To each his own. One man's meat, another mans poision, one mans sabbath, is not to another.
Re: Christian Tattoos by pilgrim1(f): 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2008
JeSoul:

I will say though that you're onto something when you say it's in the old covenant and we're not bound to it else we'd have to do every other single old school commandment as well.
However I wouldn't compare it to smoking, smoking is definately bad for you, but getting a tatoo isn't. And there's actually christian tatoo organizations out there who are using their gifts and tatoo conventions as a means of reaching other tatoo enthusiasts. . .now can I say that they're wrong? certainly not. They're redeeming the thing and returning it as a service to God.

However we can't ignore that tatoos are usually attached with negative connotations and we should avoid every appearance of evil. A christian being tatooed head to foot will draw adverse attention and that does not glorify God. But I think if in moderation and sincerity someone wants to use it as a means of creating evangelistic opportunity - we can't begrude them for that. Especially since the bible doesn't restrict it. If it isn't detrimental to them, and their conscience clears them then power to them. To each his own. One man's meat, another mans poision, one mans sabbath, is not to another.

Lol. . . galfriend JeSoul, even before I reach here, you have taken the words outa ma mouth! grin

Anyhow, a few lines I may add to share with D-reloaded.

Many blessings.
Re: Christian Tattoos by pilgrim1(f): 4:45pm On Jan 25, 2008
@D-reloaded,

D-reloaded:

I believe so, . . or should I say that I'm persuaded that is the case (even though many Muslims argue that the Qur'an is not explicit or as clear on the subject as the Bible is). That some Muslims argue in favour of the idea that the Qur'an encourages tattooing, I'm still not persuaded that is what the Qur'an teaches (although I respect the views of others).

On the other hand, I would honestly have to agree with other Muslims who argue that the Bible is implicitly clear that tattooing is not encouraged (or should I say, "forbidden"wink - such as you have outlined in the verses you quoted:

D-reloaded:

I don't know how Christians would see such verses and still want to argue in favour of tattooing.

On the whole, I don't want my own persuasions to be imposed on anybody. Either way, I believe that both the Qur'an and the Bible forbid the practice.
Re: Christian Tattoos by DD5: 4:54pm On Jan 25, 2008
JeSoul:

i dont quite agree that we are no longer bound by the laws of the old testament . . . else we wont be bound by the 10 commandments either.

Everything else you said in ur second paragraph i agree with 110%.

Did you also know that wearing earings for males was a mark of a servant in the old testament?
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 4:56pm On Jan 25, 2008
JeSoul:

See I dont agree with that cos "immodest dressing" cant kill you either but it's frowned upon in Christianity.

Also I dont believe that because you get people to put tatts of Christ or whatever on themselves means they will suddenly become Christians. Some of these jesus fish tat having people are actually atheists. Im assume as a form of sarcasm. It's still in a way descreting a body that is supposedly supposed to be temple of the Holy Spirit, abi? Can they seriously say they are glorifying God with that action?
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 4:59pm On Jan 25, 2008
pilgrim.1:

On the other hand, I would honestly have to agree with other Muslims who argue that the Bible is implicitly clear that tattooing is not encouraged (or should I say, "forbidden"wink - such as you have outlined in the verses you quoted:

I don't know how Christians would see such verses and still want to argue in favour of tattooing.

Lol like many others have mentioned, they believe that it's part of the Old Testament and MOST of the words of the Old Testament shouldnt be imposed on Christians and they'd rather a specific passage mentioning it in the New Testament instead
Re: Christian Tattoos by cybersleek(m): 4:59pm On Jan 25, 2008
Sati Rahmann!
Re: Christian Tattoos by cybersleek(m): 5:02pm On Jan 25, 2008
The bible in leviticus and deuteronomy says" thou shalt not draw an image on your skin( tattoo), and "thou shall not shavethe sides of your hair(punk), and so on and so on,
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 5:03pm On Jan 25, 2008
It'd be cool if you actually read the rest of the thread
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 5:10pm On Jan 25, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Lol. . . galfriend JeSoul, even before I reach here, you have taken the words outa ma mouth! grin

Anyhow, a few lines I may add to share with D-reloaded.

Many blessings.
they say great minds think alike. . . cheesy
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 5:13pm On Jan 25, 2008
D__D:

i don't quite agree that we are no longer bound by the laws of the old testament . . . else we wont be bound by the 10 commandments either.

Everything else you said in your second paragraph i agree with 110%.

Did you also know that wearing earings for males was a mark of a servant in the old testament?
yeah I shoulda made that distinction. The 10 commandments definately- there's no arguement against that.
What I meant were the laws like shaving ur head and becoming unclean if you do certain things etc. . .those parts of the old covenant.
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 5:20pm On Jan 25, 2008
D-reloaded:

See I don't agree with that because "immodest dressing" can't kill you either but it's frowned upon in Christianity.

Also I don't believe that because you get people to put tatts of Christ or whatever on themselves means they will suddenly become Christians. Some of these jesus fish tat having people are actually atheists. I'm assume as a form of sarcasm. It's still in a way descreting a body that is supposedly supposed to be temple of the Holy Spirit, abi? Can they seriously say they are glorifying God with that action?
hold up now, I said "if it's not in the scriptures"
immodest dressing is talked about several times and prohibited for christians. There's no arguement there.

And I wasn't saying that putting on tats will make them christians no. But for the tatooed christians I've seen who've used it as a means to create evangelistic opportunities where's the beef with that? They get the chance when they go to tatoo conventions to share their faith and come back with testimonies. How can we sit here and say what they're doing is wrong?

And if you're going to use the desecrating the temple of God arguement then that means you must never eat anything bad for you, no doughnuts, burgers or fries, you must work out every day etc. . .catch my drift? I don't think tatooing is 'desecrating' the body. To each his own. The bible says its what comes out of your body that makes it unclean. I can't hate on someone who does it and uses it to glorify God. It's not my place.
Re: Christian Tattoos by debosky(m): 5:28pm On Jan 25, 2008
I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos in themselves - the motive is the most important thing.

It should not be done in excess of course, but I think it is in order if you do it to show your allegiance to Christ.

on the other hand, the Levitical instructions are pretty clear on certain things, including being unclean for 7 days (or more) during women's monthly cycles.

The interesting one I read (incidentally this morning) was thou shalt not wear clothing with wool co-mingled with linen (or cotton) cheesy!

If I no wear wool+cotton Jacket, cold for don kill me by now tongue so we should actually note the real motive of some of these Levitical ordinances.
Re: Christian Tattoos by cybersleek(m): 5:31pm On Jan 25, 2008
O kare laye Karl marx! Religeon is the opium of the people,
Re: Christian Tattoos by cybersleek(m): 5:32pm On Jan 25, 2008
And we certainly must be getting ready to stone some people to death,
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 5:38pm On Jan 25, 2008
debosky:

I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos in themselves - the motive is the most important thing.

It should not be done in excess of course, but I think it is in order if you do it to show your allegiance to Christ.

on the other hand, the Levitical instructions are pretty clear on certain things, including being unclean for 7 days (or more) during women's monthly cycles.

The interesting one I read (incidentally this morning) was thou shalt not wear clothing with wool co-mingled with linen (or cotton) cheesy!

If I no wear wool+cotton Jacket, cold for don kill me by now tongue so we should actually note the real motive of some of these Levitical ordinances.

A much better and concise response of what I was tryna say grin. Motive plays a big part in all this.
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 5:41pm On Jan 25, 2008
You cant tell motive just by looking at a person cos some people just get it cos it looks nice. Like those people who get Chinese chracters painted on without even knowing what it means

At first glance, I just say such person is fooling him/herself.
Re: Christian Tattoos by cybersleek(m): 5:45pm On Jan 25, 2008
D-reloaded, how do you know the person does not know what is ttooed on their bods? Maybe they know and you dont and you assume they dont know too! grin
Re: Christian Tattoos by DD5: 5:46pm On Jan 25, 2008
What is the motive for a tattoo?
Re: Christian Tattoos by debosky(m): 5:56pm On Jan 25, 2008
@ David

what is the motive for a wrist-watch, a necklace with a cross, a 'mike tyson' haircut versus an 'mc hammer' style , a pedicure, or even teeth-whitening? grin

At its essence, it comes down to self expression.

As for me (aspiring Sumo wrestler) sprinkled fat+sugar filled donuts are essential! tongue
Re: Christian Tattoos by Dreloaded(f): 6:08pm On Jan 25, 2008
cybersleek:

D-reloaded, how do you know the person does not know what is ttooed on their bods? Maybe they know and you don't and you assume they don't know too! grin

My friend I didnt say that ANYONE who gets it doesnt know what it means. Keep in mind i went to college in this country, I cant tell you how many times you see people coming from spring break with a tat in a foreign language or some sorta symbol, ask them about it and you hear "um I think it means love or something in Korean or Japanese", it's like ok, undecided

David, the motive is tell the story of Jesus with your body grin
Re: Christian Tattoos by JeSoul(f): 6:08pm On Jan 25, 2008
cybersleek:

JeSoul, i pack more than a six, infact, im similar to the thrilla in manilla wink
lol grin you no go killi me with laugh. Just take am easy for those bench presses. . .*clears throat* cheesy

debosky:

@ David

what is the motive for a wrist-watch, a necklace with a cross, a 'mike tyson' haircut versus an 'mc hammer' style , a pedicure, or even teeth-whitening? grin

At its essence, it comes down to self expression.

As for me (aspiring Sumo wrestler) sprinkled fat+sugar filled donuts are essential! tongue
 LOL. . .I'd advocate the MC hammer haircut over the tyson
Re: Christian Tattoos by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 25, 2008
Am i gate Crashing?

Sorry, if na sooo

Is tatooing accepted in islam?

No !, Why?

Let us look at what Prophet Muhammad peace be upon commanded:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

So from these we can say that tatooing is not accpetable in Islam.

You can however make temporary designs like "lali" or so but not permanaent ones even if it dosen't causes pain.
Re: Christian Tattoos by debosky(m): 6:18pm On Jan 25, 2008
so what exactly is the stand of Islam?

The 'permanence' of the marks or the marks themselves? Is it 'mutilation' only when permanent?

Even the 'permanent' ones can be removed if you're dedicated enough, so please elucidate if you can wink
Re: Christian Tattoos by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 26, 2008
Debosky,

Islam denounces excesses in beautifying oneself when it alters the physical features that Allah created him with. The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who ", will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created, " (An-Nisa': 119)
Tattooing is one of those excesses.

We have to keep in mind the fact that body piercing, tattooing, branding, etc. all fall in the category of unnecessary interference, alteration and mutilation of Allah's creation. Therefore, no Muslim, who is conscious of his religion, should ever contemplate such activities.

Even the 'permanent' ones can be removed if you're dedicated enough, so please elucidate if you can

Yeah, the permanent ones can be removed though.

But, the yorubas have an adage saying "Oju apa kole jo oju ara"

Meaning a battered skin can never be like its former form even afetr undergoing surgery. cheesy
Re: Christian Tattoos by pilgrim1(f): 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2008
@mdsocks,

mdsocks:

The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who ", will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created, " (An-Nisa': 119)
Tattooing is one of those excesses.

How does tattoo apply to the idea of changing "what Allah has created?"
Re: Christian Tattoos by Bensoul(m): 7:52pm On May 23, 2008
i got d sacred heart of Jesus on my arm,and i like it.go get urs b4 u lament over tatt cooloos
Re: Christian Tattoos by origina9ja(f): 1:20pm On Apr 01, 2009
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; vs 20 "you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

It is clear that we are living in the end times, right before the return of our Lord Jesus Christ to rapture home His blood-bought bride, the Church. It is also clear that these are perilous times. 2Tim 3:1. The current trend that more and more Christians seem to be picking up is tattooing. There are even “Christian” tattoo shops opening up, and deceived Christians are flocking to them more and more. They justify this activity by saying they are “tattooing for Jesus” and it’s fun to sport their new, colorful images or statements. Therefore, tattooing is no more an activity that the Bible expressly forbids, but it’s become the latest, cool, fun thing to do; and tattooing is popularly regarded as simply “body art”.

The Mark of Blood. The tattooing procedure involves cutting the flesh with a sharp needle or instrument in order to carve out or make designs. The result is something called “blood-letting”. Blood-letting has both occultic and demonic origins as it is considered a power source that is supernaturally unleashed. Many pro-tattoo sources describe tattooing as having a magical, occultic connection with blood and blood-letting as being normal. Several pro-tattoo historians indicate the connection with scarification and blood-letting associated with religious practices. Another source indicates “the importance of licking the blood that was released during tattoo operations” We read in 1Kings 18:25-28 the account of the prophets of Baal who met with Elijah to find out who was the true God. These were satanists who were attempting to unleash supernatural power by cutting themselves (vs. 28). In the New Testament, there was a man named Legion who was possessed by demons in Mark 5:1-9 who went about cutting himself with stones. (vs. 5) Leviticus 19:28 says “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.”

second point The Mark of Death. Lev. 19:28 says, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Yet DEATH is the number one theme of tattoos! References from tattoo books again reveal this as a fact: “Death and darkness have always been a classic tattoo theme – skulls, snakes, demons” (The Body Art Book, pg. 56). Tattoo shops mostly display morbid scenes of death, demons, serpents, and hell. Grim reapers, flaming skulls, snakes crawling through skulls, demons, Satan, pornography, blasphemy, naked flames of hell – every satanic scene of hell is glorified. Who really is the Master Tattooist? Satan, of course! (Rev. 6:8; Heb. 2:14). He is the author of Death; and the representative of Hell (Rev. 6:8; Matt. 25:41); also of the Serpent (Gen. 3:1; Rev. 12:9; Rev. 20:1-2) so as we all know that Many tattoo artists embody satanic symbols of death and hell while they display demonic scenes in their shops, calling it “art”.

thirdly The Mark of Rebellion. The Bible condemns all rebellion throughout its pages and declares that rebellion is as bad as witchcraft. (1Sam. 15:23) It is clear that the tattoo has always been an indication of a spirit of rebellion and deviancy on its wearers. All the tattoo books make comments about tattooing being rebellious. In addition, the tattoo is considered a mark of disgrace or reproach by the same tattoo books. Throughout history, the tattoo was used to mark the criminal, adulterers, traitors, deserters, the deviant and outcast. Thirdly, it has been the mark of the sideshow freak throughout history. Also, it is the mark of indecency. also recent studies on today’s tattooed young people indicate 1) they are nearly four times more likely to engage in sexual intercourse; 2) Over two times more likely to experience alcohol related problems; 3) Nearly two times more likely to use illegal drugs; 4) Over two times more likely to express violent behavior; and 5) Over two times more likely to drop out of high school.

And the last but not the least is that Tattos is the mark of regret. Those who get tattoos while in a backslidden state will forever have to live with them. Even those who flock to get laser surgery in an attempt to remove the tattoos will have to go through a lot of expensive and painful procedures, and yet the tattoo will never be totally removed and will just look ugly. Many who are foolish enough to get tattoos later regret them and hate looking at them. There are many consequences of getting “marked”: spiritual, health, social. Once a person has that mark put on them, they are then in a different category: one of the gang, cool, and spiritually defiled against God who shakes their fist at His law. Not to mention that after getting the tattoo, some serious medical problems could start to germinate. So, then, is getting a tattoo really worth all the consequences?
If someone is “tattooing for Jesus” and thinks that’s acceptable, it isn’t because the “Jesus” (or any symbol) you are marking yourself with is an image. God says very clearly and explicitly that we are to have no other gods before Him, and that it is He and He alone who is supreme. (Ex. 20:3; Is. 45:5)

The Bible expressly tells us to keep ourselves unspotted from the world and to abstain from the appearance of evil (1Thess. 5:22), and that friendship with the world is enmity with God. We are instructed to come out from among them and be separate from the world. (2Cor. 6:17) Christians therefore have the responsibility to obey God’s commands and abstain from worldly associations, pastimes, or habits; not just out of duty but because we love God and have a living relationship with Him. (John 14:15). Please beware that ALL tattooing is wrong, not just the graphic stuff described above. It all has the same origin in paganism and is expressly commanded by the Lord that we are to avoid this practice at all costs!

HOPE THIS HELP A BIT

1 Like

Re: Christian Tattoos by Enockia(m): 1:37pm On Apr 01, 2009
as lonng as the tattoo dos not contradict with the word of God i don't see anythin wrong with it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Africans The Only People Who Does Not Worship A God How Looks Like Them / If Jesus Had Not Resurrected? / What Seek Ye?(the Grail Message-vol 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.