Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria (13969 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / APC Six Points Agenda: State Of Origin To Be Abolished / Civil Service Promotion Exams To Be Abolished 2013’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by killuminati(m): 8:53am On Oct 23, 2012
apala911: Senate President, Senator David Mark, on Monday said that time has come for the country to shift from the syndrome of state of origin and embrace state of residence.

He said that immediate elimination of state of origin and enthronement of state of residence would go a long way to cement relationship in the country.

Mark spoke to journalists in Quebec, Canada, after the opening ceremony of the 127th Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) Assembly, with the theme “Citizenship, identity, linguistic and cultural diversity in a globalised world.”

He noted that one of the issues that would be addressed at the on-going constitution review is a shift from state of origin to state of residence.

He wondered why a person who has lived in a particular place for 20 years performing all necessary civic responsibilities could not become an indigene of the area.

He said, “You should know that one of the issues we’ve been discussing in Constitution amendment is shift from state of origin to state of residence because it is an important issue.

“You are resident in a place for 20 years and still, they don’t take you as part and parcel of that place.

“I think it’s a difficult task but in my candid opinion, I think if we have an open mind and we approach it from a nationalist perspective, rather than a small, clannish perspective, I think we would get it right.

“Let’s forget the business of state of origin and go to state of residence.

“Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t benefit, provided of course you don’t claim dual residency.

“Some Nigerians may be very clever. They would come from Ondo State and are resident in Benue, when the benefits of Benue are not commensurate with their expectations, they shift to Ondo State.

“We can’t have that. Once you take a particular area, you should just be a part and parcel of that particular state.”

He described the theme of the conference as extremely relevant.

The theme of the conference, he said, is not “just international, it is also national because that is the only way we can domesticate and implement the theme.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/why-state-of-origin-should-be-abolished-in-nigeria-mark/
Mr senator David X Mark On Spot, u yarn well but these highly tribalistic fools won't let this apn!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by YEMOYEMI: 8:53am On Oct 23, 2012
State of residence? In a situation where people apply for federal government appointment, the same 'leaders/rulers' will bring quota in allocation slots. The implication of this is that we will have many people who are from LAGOS by the virtue of state of residence. Too many people will now have have to be competing with too few slots. I don't see the workability of state of residence in Nigeria.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by aitanofi(m): 8:59am On Oct 23, 2012
Well this is a lovely and good idea, but can it really work in Nigeria?
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by dspices(m): 9:04am On Oct 23, 2012
this is interesting and is a good move by senate president.infact, l know little by little we are going to be there.and it maybe by mistake but we will get there.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Allohrandy(m): 9:08am On Oct 23, 2012
i don't think the political elite in Nigeria will want to do away with state of origin because they are the ones benefiting from it. I don't think the average Nigerian is Tribalism (except some fulls here in Niaraland). I discovered that most weddings here in Lagos and most states in Nigeria is usually between bride and groom of different tribes. Besides that, i don't think there is any Nigerian that doesn't have at least a friend from another tribe. I think its high time we do away with the clause 'State of Origin' and replace it with 'State of residence'. This will go a long way to foster unity and peace in this great country. But unfortunately, our political class will not allow this to happen because of their selfishness and greed. I STILL BELIEVE IN ONE NIGERIA.

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by fatstan1: 9:12am On Oct 23, 2012
Brain fart, the other day it was state police after many years of countering the motion today its state of residenc, what's it gonna be tomorrow?
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by dspices(m): 9:14am On Oct 23, 2012
Allohrandy: i don't think the political elite in Nigeria will want to do away with state of origin because they are the ones benefiting from it. I don't think the average Nigerian is Tribalism (except some fulls here in Niaraland). I discovered that most weddings here in Lagos and most states in Nigeria is usually between bride and groom of different tribes. Besides that, i don't think there is any Nigerian that doesn't have at least a friend from another tribe. I think its high time we do away with the clause 'State of Origin' and replace it with 'State of residence'. This will go a long way to foster unity and peace in this great country. But unfortunately, our political class will not allow this to happen because of their selfishness and greed. I STILL BELIEVE IN ONE NIGERIA.
and very mush believe in Nigeria,here is home and only at home love can be celebrate.please,allow our youth with opportunity not all employment.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by SmileGirl(f): 9:27am On Oct 23, 2012
I support it. It will reduce tribalism. An Igbo man can govern Lagos as long as he performs well. Canadians, Netherlands etc hold big political offices in America as long as they ar citizens of dat state.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Peterpan1(m): 9:32am On Oct 23, 2012
This is rubbish, infact total bullshit, each state in Nigeria have a unique culture and tradition, creating this so called state of residence will increase tribalism to it's highest peak in the long run, for now we might think it will reduce tribalism bt think again who would want or accept a yoruba man to contest for a chairmanship position in the north, never, furthemore this people lack focus dis is nt the problem of Nigeria, LORD HELP US.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by ceejay80s(m): 9:35am On Oct 23, 2012
Rolly83:

Which ''PIGEON''english,abi na parrot english u wan talk...Mumu like u idiota!
kettle calling pot "BLACK". and u just wrote in pigeon english! Who be the idiota?
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by adefash(m): 9:37am On Oct 23, 2012
ceejay80s: If u abolish state of origin, u go equally abolish to many languges in naija, we need just one languge. And i choose pigeon english as a major language
thank u my broda! There are alot of ppl with brilliant ideas but no formal education. They have been silenced in the society because they cant speak good english, imported language. Pidgin english should be made our second official language.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Peterpan1(m): 9:37am On Oct 23, 2012
Peter pan: This is rubbish, infact total bullshit, each state in Nigeria have a unique culture and tradition, creating this so called state of residence will increase tribalism to it's highest peak in the long run, for now we might think it will reduce tribalism bt think again who would want or accept a yoruba man to contest for a chairmanship position in the north, never, furthemore this people lack focus dis is nt the problem of Nigeria, LORD HELP US.
furthermore this trend will make the coming generation lose memory of thier ancestral background
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Goldieluks: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2012
Peter pan: furthermore this trend will make the coming generation lose memory of thier ancestral background

You are actually right on that.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by adefash(m): 9:43am On Oct 23, 2012
State of origin doesnt represent one nigeria. If you reside in a place for @ least 2yrs, you should,by law, be a full citizen of that land.you are contributing to the comercial activities of the place and @ the same time enjoying benefits from the land. My question is, what happens to those that get transfered from their employee frequently? The millitary ppl,business men and others.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2012
State of Origin or state of residence would that solve the numerous crisis facing this country,Mark should dedicate his time in tackling more pressing issues than championing a cause that's almost irrelevant in the present dispensation.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by adefash(m): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2012
preshuzpearl: It would be very difficult. Nigerians are natural tribalists. ItRunsInTheBlood
and thats because nothing has been done about it. Now that govt is thinking about the solution to tribal thing, lets support it. We all know that one of the major problems of 9ja is tribalism followed by religion, lets start tarkling it gradually. We will get there.

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by slimderek(m): 9:50am On Oct 23, 2012
I support This Motion 100Percent
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by DOD1: 9:54am On Oct 23, 2012
Dis may sound irrational but considering d way d notherners have always been hostile 2 other tribes living in their land on several ocasion (because of their religion) even b4 boko haram came wen many yorubas n igbos had 2 flee d north because of d killings, I think d hausas should be sidelined in dis practice of state of residence, if it must b. Let it b practised among other tribes of nigeria except d hausas, n mayb if it works out well, d hausas would b provoked into jealousy (serving as punishment 2 them) at d level of unity tht exist btw other tribes, n wanting 2 belong, they wil learn 2 live peaceably wit others n let go of their swords. But if sidelining d hausa tribe is seen by d lawmakers as dividing nigeria into two, then state of origin must continue.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Clemzy16(m): 9:54am On Oct 23, 2012
Some things are better left the way it is than changed. What the senate president is clamouring for might sounds good to the ear but the end result is going to be terrible. Which probably might lead to another civil war in Nigeria. It is audible to the deaf, visible to the blind and palpable to the paralytic that such policy cannot work in a country like Nigeria that has diverse ethnicity. This is a culture(way of life) that has been passed from generations to generations and cannot be tempered with. I would have loved if the senate president have enough reasons why he want state of origin scraped. He said and i quote "you are resident in a place for 20 years and still, they don't take you as a part and parcel of that place." believe me, there is no proof to this statement as true. Because in Nigeria we have alot of tribes scartered around the country and sometimes you even have a situation when you hear people say 'hausa street and yoruba street'. Just like we have here in Benin-city. This is because there are majority of hausa's or yorubas residing in that particular area. Or is the senate president trying to say that you can't get jobs in other state, or you can't school in that state, or you can't marry from that state, or you can't build houses in that state, or you can't vote in that state. The only things i know you can be deprived of in other state is becoming the head of a community, the head of a monarch or becoming the governor of the state which i don't see a being bais. It is obvious that majority of people in governmental positions at the federal level are northerners. Is it the house of senate, the house of assembly, the house of representatives. Just Name it. An example is the chief of ALLU community who is an Ahlaji. What then happens when they finally scrapped state of origin. You find out that Northerners will occupy every sector of the Nigeria economy. Don't be suprised when a Northerner is the governor of abia, anambra, Kogi, Rivers, Edo, Lagos, Oyo, Delta, etc.. And when they are the heads of every parts of the country it will be easy for them to conquer the nation and turn it to an islamic state.

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by UmarSanda: 9:58am On Oct 23, 2012
honeric01:

Why do you need a state of origin in the first place? if Nigeria is one as a country, why should i be asked which state i was born?
Honestly i think state of origin have bin d bane of our unity and coexistence. We shld do away wit it, and c ourselves as Nigerians.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by adefash(m): 9:59am On Oct 23, 2012
As brilliant as the idea is, care should be taken to cross examine every aspect of our lives. There a lot of things that must be corrected if the state of origin should be abolished. Take for instance, the zoning issue in pdp. If presidency is to be zoned to north and atiku loses, he moves to the next zone against next erection,sory,election to try his luck again,and so on. They should work seriously on getting every nigerian registered with national identity number or tag. It goes along way to help.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by chris51(f): 10:00am On Oct 23, 2012
Kudos to David Mark. State of Birth & State of Residence. That's all we need to move the country forwardfor now. With time, other things will surely follow
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by fio(m): 10:03am On Oct 23, 2012
honeric01:

Why do you need a state of origin in the first place? if Nigeria is one as a country, why should i be asked which state i was born?

Abolishing state of origin is not the solution.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 23, 2012
Finally, I can now contest Governorship of Lagos state and hire Tinubu as my special adviser on Fraud Affairs.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by acidtalk: 10:08am On Oct 23, 2012
Mark is so right.
Read below what you and I are missing with this State Of Origin Claus.

https://www.nairaland.com/955405/removing-state-origin-constitution-make
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by TonySpike: 10:11am On Oct 23, 2012
First things first, give all Nigerians a national identity number!!! This is the real problem we have...

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by rhexpheonix(m): 10:18am On Oct 23, 2012
DAVID MARK WANTZ 2 ERASE 1 BIBLE QUOTA "I SHALL NOT DIE BUT I SHALL LIVE 2 DECLEAR D WORKZ OF GOD IN D LAND OF D LIVING.........IF I GET PAIRED UP WIT H**SA...DAT PROCLAMATION WONT WORK AGAIN
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by sylve11: 10:28am On Oct 23, 2012
cool
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Godmann(m): 10:34am On Oct 23, 2012
Checkout every person that have opposed this noble idea from David Mark and you are seeing a covert Tribalist. I do not like David Mark and will never trust him, but what he has just said has been on my mind. It is the best way to go about uniting Nigerians.

Believe me, all human beings are the same. We all have one hope, one dream and one fear. Who says even people from one state, local government or town must share a common language or culture. What they must do is share a common law (do's and don'ts). When we remove the stupid state of origin, people will feel less tied to a place simply because his dad was born that place. In some cases, we call ourselves Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba simply because our grand parents migrated from the place.

So the way to go is to remove this archaic relic called place of origin and treat all men as equal.

The European that labelled us as tribesmen were not all born with one tongue. They have several tongues but made deliberate efforts to be one. We must unit our people for the good of all of us. Tribalism, racism and sectionalism are things of the old. They are antithetic to civilisation.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Godmann(m): 10:35am On Oct 23, 2012
Checkout every person that have opposed this noble idea from David Mark and you are seeing a covert Tribalist. I do not like David Mark and will never trust him, but what he has just said has been on my mind. It is the best way to go about uniting Nigerians.

Believe me, all human beings are the same. We all have one hope, one dream and one fear. Who says even people from one state, local government or town must share a common language or culture. What they must do is share a common law (do's and don'ts). When we remove the stupid state of origin, people will feel less tied to a place simply because his dad was born that place. In some cases, we call ourselves Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba simply because our grand parents migrated from the place.

So the way to go is to remove this archaic relic called place of origin and treat all men as equal.

The European that labelled us as tribesmen were not all born with one tongue. They have several tongues but made deliberate efforts to be one. We must unit our people for the good of all of us. Tribalism, racism and sectionalism are things of the old. They are antithetic to civilisation.

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Godmann(m): 10:35am On Oct 23, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abiola’s ‘Inaugural Address’ On June 11, 1994 / Ajimobi Congratulates Victorious NASS Candidates, Thanks Oyo People / El-Rufai: Government Officials Are More Likely To Suffer Mental Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.