Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,085 members, 7,811,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria (13967 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / APC Six Points Agenda: State Of Origin To Be Abolished / Civil Service Promotion Exams To Be Abolished 2013’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by cjrane: 12:56am On Oct 24, 2012
If Nigeria is serious about unity,it is the best thing to do and it should be enshrined in the constitution. But Nigeria is a sham, so i expect nothing positive aimed at truly uniting Nigerians from it.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Antivirus92(m): 4:13am On Oct 24, 2012
tintingz: bat! Read what your igbo muslim leader said in this thread
"The Challenges Of Igbo Muslims"
https://www.nairaland.com/997009/challenges-igbo-muslims
BTW igbo muslims in the north as you said are they not ndigbos who converted to Islam??
that old article? You can still keep it in ur gallery and quote it in 2050 even when the writer has died. Rubbish! We only have north/western muslims here in the east.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by BabaTony: 5:33am On Oct 24, 2012
Zab: HAHAHAHA. LOL. OGA MARK YOUR THOUGHT IS A GOOD ONE BUT I FEEL IT WORKS IN AN ENLIGHTENED/FORWARD THINKING STATE.ETHNICITY HAS EATEN DEEP INTO OUR SOCIAL FABRIC.

THE DISPARITY OF ETHNIC NATIONALITIES THAT FORM NIGERIA WILL WORK AGAINST YOUR IDEA SIR. IMAGINE AN IGBO MAN AS THE GOVERNOR OF OYO STATE, OGUN OR KANO STATE. I BELIEVE THAT ANY POLICY OF GOVERNMENT MAY BE VIEWED AS ANTI - NATIVES.

IT IS FACT THAT INTRA-ETHNIC CONFLICT TAKE PLACE IN NIGERIA. THERE WERE COMPLAINTS THAT CERTAIN GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE IS NOT A LOGOSIAN.

LET THE SENATE STRIKE OUT QUOTA SYSTEM. IT BREEDS MEDIOCRITY. WHEN I WAS WRITING JAMB, UNN CUT OFF MARK DEALT WITH ME AS MY STATE(IMO) WAS REQUIRED TO MEET THE HIGHEST CUT OFF MARK. FOR INSTANCE WHEN I MADE 243 AND WAS NOT ADMITTED, CANDIDATES FROM KANO AND OTHER NORTHERN STATES, AKWA IBOM, CROSS RIVER WERE ADMITTED WITH CUT OFF POINTS BETWEEN 198- 215.MERIT SLAUGHTERED ON THE ALTAR OF MEDIOCRITY.

Who is this fool to mention akwa ibom state as a state with low cut off marks, did you take jamb at all?please go check your brochure if you ever bought a jamb form. Silly
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by DAMIGHT(m): 6:31am On Oct 24, 2012
Only state of residence will work...state of origin is a sort of descrimination and tribalism... Imagine!!! In nigeria universities where indigin pay lesser to other nigerian
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by DAMIGHT(m): 6:31am On Oct 24, 2012
DAMIGHT: Only state of residence will work...state of origin is a sort of descrimination and tribalism... Imagine!!! In nigeria universities where indigin pay lesser to other nigerian
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by bbporsche: 9:13am On Oct 24, 2012
ceejay80s: wetin i take? Wetin bad for wetin i talk? France-French, Usa-English, Germany-German, Nigeria- Hausa,Igbo, Yoruba,Edo, Calabar, ibibio, efik,Pigeon, etc na wetin, just one country! Inshort naija for be a CONTINENT on its own

grin grin grin grin
got me rolling with lafter grin
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by DAMIGHT(m): 9:18am On Oct 24, 2012
[quote author=DAMIGHT][/quote]
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by goodnice: 9:29am On Oct 24, 2012
Our problems is about state creation.. But ethnicity,tribal sentiment and regionalism... The only solution to all these problems is division. Yes we need to divide because there is no way we can be together
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by tintingz(m): 2:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
Antivirus92: that old article? You can still keep it in ur gallery and quote it in 2050 even when the writer has died. Rubbish! We only have north/western muslims here in the east.
i can see how dumb you are. . .can you give the year the report was published. . .FYI the thread is created this year and the muslim scholar is an igbo man from the east i dont care if its 18 century report all i know is that there are igbo muslims in the east. . .and stop being ignorant
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Antivirus92(m): 3:27pm On Oct 24, 2012
tintingz: i can see how dumb you are. . .can you give the year the report was published. . .FYI the thread is created this year and the muslim scholar is an igbo man from the east i dont care if its 18 century report all i know is that there are igbo muslims in the east. . .and stop being ignorant
keep on hallucinating!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Antivirus92(m): 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2012
tintingz: i can see how dumb you are. . .can you give the year the report was published. . .FYI the thread is created this year and the muslim scholar is an igbo man from the east i dont care if its 18 century report all i know is that there are igbo muslims in the east. . .and stop being ignorant
keep on hallucinating! you can only carve them out in ur imagination.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Novice1(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2012
Let him resign from his postion as Senate president first, because he got that by virtue of his state of origin.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by 2mch(m): 3:56pm On Oct 24, 2012
Novice1: Let him resign from his postion as Senate president first, because he got that by virtue of his state of origin.

GBAM!!!

Who is Mark sef? The guy that desires to be president, but can never get past the senate. undecided
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On Oct 24, 2012
If we're abolishing state of origin then federal character should also be abolished. These things are the trapping of a backward country.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by hakanai(m): 4:29pm On Oct 24, 2012
Awake9ja: hahaha this very serious.

only if hausa/fulani and kanuri are redy to do away with sharia.

i cannot be an indigene of a religional state.
can the core north lives freely with other people out side their region when they find out they have equal right with you.

they are permited to move around with knife,sword,gun and even bomb now we are divided etnicaly, how much more when they have equal right at every state of their resident.

hausa/fulani drags land with indigenes of every regions in nigeria now they are allien how much more when they are indigene.

See you !!! don't come as that will not be changed.if you want to come and learn to live with them.fine,if your need to be there is force them to drop there way of life then go screw yourself.Minus the killing and criminality going on under the name of religious crisis.They are entitled to Sharia and other social practice if they make the majority of there community as you are entitled to customary courts.Silly!!!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by tintingz(m): 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2012
Antivirus92: keep on hallucinating! you can only carve them out in ur imagination.
hehehe grin buh i have given you a thread about an igbo muslim scholar and their challenges in the east. . .why is it so hard for you to accept the fact that there are igbo muslims(is like saying there are no hausa christians), this is life on earth or are ndigbo aliens from another planet?
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by IleIfe2(m): 5:37pm On Oct 24, 2012
aribisala0: People misuse the wordss "tribalism" and "tribalist" out of ignorance or poor education. We are Igbo,Yoruba,Tiv,Efik Ogoni Ijaw etc peoples ; nations in a NATION STATE that is who and what we are
[b]Somehow there is this idea that we should give that all up to become "Nigerians" with English as our language and no consciousness or a colonial consciousness. Nigeria CANNOT become a nation in the way that Japan or Koreans are and we should not accept this project that seeks to delete our identity. We are a nation in the sense of a confederation of NATIONS not TRIBES. No one refers to Irish,Belgians,Ducth,Boers,Bosnians,Greeks or Armenians as tribes so why are Igbos a tribe.
We need to wake up revive our languages and culture and be proub of them. We can coexist in much the same way as the EU nations do but it is important to preserve the culture,language and identity of Autochthons in their ancestral homelands rather than seek to create meaningless and superficial new identities
David Marks proposal is stupid ; It is proposing that in maybe 100 years there will be no Ijaw,Edo or other Minorities indeed even bigger groups may not survive. If we are going down that road the destination must be clear before we start.[/b]

That idea can only make sense in a culturally and linguistically homogenous nation. We are not and certainly do not aspire to LOSE our language/culture. The final phase of remote colonialism
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by tosank: 9:16pm On Oct 24, 2012
Phony idiot- Mark. No way SOO will go!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by prettyboi1(m): 12:18pm On Oct 25, 2012
Desola:

But we are not one and united. We are but a mere geographical expression. What do I have in common with an ibo man to make me want to be one with him? Nada! That's what!

You're just a typical intellctually lazy Nigerian. What do you have in common with an Igbo,Hausa,Ijaw,Ibibio Nigerian etc? The answer's NATIONALITY & RACE you lazy intellectual individual. Nigerians like you segregate every Damn thing. You'd segregate tribes,ethnicity,language,religion etc & even in religion,you'd still segregate further.....I'm a shite Muslim & I hate Sunni Muslims & vice versa, I'm a protestant Christian,I can't marry a Catholic Christian & vice versa,I attend Redeemed Christian Church,I can't marry someone outside my church, I'm an Igbo man from Anambra,I can't marry another Igbo person outside my village talkless of another Igbo person outside Anambra talkless of someone from a different tribe,I'm a Yoruba person from Oyo,we are the real yoruba people,people from Ekiti state are not real yoruba people etc etc. Really? I really didn't want to be rude,but I'm presently overwhelmed by how daft & segregational people like you get & I'm going to throw caution away right now & freely call you " A DAFT FOOL"....people like you are dragging Nigeria backwards & making all of us suffer for your sentiments. Is Nigeria the only country with several languages,cultures,ethnicities & tribes? For your information,every country on the African continent (including Northern African countries) are made up of different tribes. Libya (in North Africa) has about/over 140 tribes. The only countries on the African continent that are almost homogeneous (even though they are not sef) are Tunisia & Egypt.
New Papua Guinea on the continent of Australia has the most languages in the world,having over 800 different languages. Most of Asia is also like that. India alone has hundreds of languages. All of these countries live in relative peace & harmony except in Nigeria where some goats come saying "several nations live in the nation of Nigeria." I'm sure if they give you a visa & permit to go live in the u.s. forever, you'd gladly accept right? Is the u.s. an homogeneous country? What would/do you have in common with an Arab-American from a different tribe in Syria? What would/do you have in common with an Arab-American from a different tribe in Lebanon? What would/do you have in common with an Kenyan-American from a different tribe in Kenya? What would/do you have in common with a South-African-American from a different tribe in South Africa? What would/do you have in common with an Arab-American from a different tribe in Lebanon? What would/do you have in common with a Ghanaian-American from a different tribe in Ghana? What would/do you have in common with a Mexican-American from a different tribe in Mexico? etc. You better wake up & start being a rational human being rather than a segregational animal & start contributing to the growth of your country Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 12:29pm On Oct 25, 2012
There is no need to call names because of a difference in perspective. What makes your opinion superior? Are you God?
The fact that we are Nigerian does not mean we should lose who we are. There is one word that describes what a lot of people are suggesting; HOMOGENIZATION. There is nothing wrong with this IF people agree to it. You cannot HOMOGENIZE us by force.
If indeed we are to be HOMOGENIZED then I must ask "IN WHOSE IMAGE" is this "TRIBELESS Nigerian" to be made? There are parts of Nigeria where they practise Sharia and other parts where they declare curfew for ORO or other traditional rituals. If those things are to be dispensed it must be DISCUSSED not just dispensed with by CAPRICIOUS IDEALISM.There is a relation that native Africans have with their land that certainly is the case in southern Nigeria. We have Native law and custom in our constitution because those things were negotiated even before independence. Of course there are Nigerians whose children speak French or Chinese preferentially but for me there is such a thing as Ijebuland and it should remain so forever,yes a part of Nigeria open to all Nigerians but Ijebu all the same
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
aribisala0: There is no need to call names because of a difference in perspective. What makes your opinion superior? Are you God?
The fact that we are Nigerian does not mean we should lose who we are. There is one word that describes what a lot of people are suggesting; HOMOGENIZATION. There is nothing wrong with this IF people agree to it. You cannot HOMOGENIZE us by force.
If indeed we are to be HOMOGENIZED then I must ask "IN WHOSE IMAGE" is this "TRIBELESS Nigerian" to be made? There are parts of Nigeria where they practise Sharia and other parts where they declare curfew for ORO or other traditional rituals. If those things are to be dispensed it must be DISCUSSED not just dispensed with by CAPRICIOUS IDEALISM.There is a relation that native Africans have with their land that certainly is the case in southern Nigeria. We have Native law and custom in our constitution because those things were negotiated even before independence. Of course there are Nigerians whose children speak French or Chinese preferentially but for me there is such a thing as Ijebuland and it should remain so forever,yes a part of Nigeria open to all Nigerians but Ijebu all the same

gbam..couldn't agree any better
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by kennyrosie: 7:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
Why is it Nigerians find it difficult to comprehend, is no brainy to understand what this intelligent man is saying?. And, this is honest, well thought and brilliant idea by a politician I havnt heard in a long time. State of residency should be utilize all the time, not state of origin-- that is how it is done in the western world and Nigerians living overseas benefit from this too. If one establishes a residency for a certain amount of years, he/she should claim residency of that state because he/she pays taxes, contributed to the development of that state and perhaps have children that are born in the resident state. This is how it is done everywhere. Doing this in Nigeria will reduce ethnic identity politics, ethnic wars or interest, tribalism, favoritism and improves social acceptance. It will also encourage migration, people understanding others without being bias or prejudice. Bravo! Bravo! It is a smart move.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by kennyrosie: 8:22pm On Feb 23, 2013
[quote author=Ile-Ife][/quote]
You write as if you're intelligent but your writing thoughts indicates you're not. Establishing a residency in a state one lives for years or forever is the norm for every nation. It has nothing to do with depleting identity or extincting a language. Here in the U.S, we have all different ethnicities and races, but we are Anericans first and foremost. It doesn't change who you are or what you 're.
If you called what the Senator said as silly, why do Nigerians establish permanent residency or citizenship in the UK, USA and Canada..etc?
95% of Nigerian GDP comes from oil and the South South and East contribute to almost all of that. My question to you is this? Since you object state of residency, why should your state benefit from resources from another state, please tell me?

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by kennyrosie: 8:41pm On Feb 23, 2013
Novice1: Let him resign from his postion as Senate president first, because he got that by virtue of his state of origin.

I can't stand willful ignorance and stupidity of many Nigerians including yourself. In the western world like America, we have or had Chinese, Indians, Mexican Americans as governors. We have them as governors just because their parents are legally residents that established residency in the states and have them as US citizens.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by tomakint: 8:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
I thought this man was a born Nigerian, methink he is acting funnily these days! Definitely what he is talking about is highly impossible in Nigeria of today based on the delicate nature of our diversities cool
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by kennyrosie: 9:12pm On Feb 23, 2013
Desola:

But we are not one and united. We are but a mere geographical expression. What do I have in common with an ibo man to make me want to be one with him? Nada! That's what!

Desola, you're a dolt, backward little poppy. Why do you have so much hatred in you? Are you better than the Ibos or any other ethnicity in Nigeria? Please before you use a quote, give credit to the original writer, if you don't it is called plagiarism.
Whatever you wish others will surely come back to bite you! You go to UK, US or Canada with your ugly inferior ass and want them to accept you as one of them right but you can't accept your fellow Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Dibiachukwu: 11:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
State of origin should stick.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by tashanja(m): 4:10am On Feb 24, 2013
Good idea, would definitely promote unity if embraced and implemented whole heartedly; but choi, can you imagine how for example Lagos could easily and quickly soon cease to be a Yoruba State - mind boggling, don't you think?
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by TonySpike: 5:52am On Feb 24, 2013
Nigerians are territorial. Everyone's allegiance is to his/her ethnic nationality and land. Land is a very difficult topic in Nigeria, and Africa at large. Land trespasses are not taken lightly in any part of Nigeria. I remember the recent experience I had in Enugu state while a youth corper. A boy and his friends, were afflicted by a juju-like fire burns, because he trespassed on someone's land. If that could happen between people of the same village (and stock), I wonder what would happen to trespasses committed by another ethnic group. State of residence cannot work in Nigeria...as simple as that. USA did not start as a tribal enclave like Nigeria. Most of the lands were virgin and belonging to no particular tribe when they were acquired, and hence, such laws were easier to implement.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Dibiachukwu: 8:46am On Feb 24, 2013
Tony Spike: Nigerians are territorial. Everyone's allegiance is to his/her ethnic nationality and land. Land is a very difficult topic in Nigeria, and Africa at large. Land trespasses are not taken lightly in any part of Nigeria. I remember the recent experience I had in Enugu state while a youth corper. A boy and his friends, were afflicted by a juju-like fire burns, because he trespassed on someone's land. If that could happen between people of the same village (and stock), I wonder what would happen to trespasses committed by another ethnic group. State of residence cannot work in Nigeria...as simple as that. USA did not start as a tribal enclave like Nigeria. Most of the lands were virgin and belonging to no particular tribe when they were acquired, and hence, such laws were easier to implement.
They (usa) killed off the inhabitants. So no one really owns those land now. Just the invaders. I doubt anybody wants that kind of system in naija
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Bontee: 10:40am On May 22, 2013
Just make state of residence to be the basis for governance after creating a national identification system with an efficient database then we are good to go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public Holiday For Monday. / ”president Buhari’s Scheduled Visit To Rivers Based On Killings - Femi Adesina / Jos Jailbreak: More Names, Photos Of Escaped Prisoners Declared Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.