Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling (8180 Views)

Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. / Nigeria To Charge Russian Sailors With Arms Smuggling / Interior Minister Abba Moro Accused Of Gun-running, Arms Smuggling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by ballabriggs: 1:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
Nigeria arrests 15 Russian sailors carrying arms

(Reuters) - Nigerian authorities seized a ship and arrested its 15 Russian crew members on suspicion of arms smuggling, after they found several guns and about 8,500 rounds of ammunition on the boat, the Navy said on Tuesday.

The vessel was intercepted over the weekend in Lagos, one of Africa's busiest ports, Navy spokesman Commodore Aliyu Kabiru said by telephone. It belonged to the Moran Security Group, based in Moscow, and was flying a Dutch flag, he added.

There was no immediate comment from Moran.

"The vessel was carrying 8,598 ammunitions and different rifles. Investigations are still ongoing," he said. He gave no further details.

A Navy source, who could not be named, said 22 Benelli MR1 rifles and several other automatic weapons were found.

Arms smuggling is a flourishing enterprise in Nigeria, which is battling an Islamist insurgency in the north, organised armed robbery and kidnapping gangs in the south and oil thieves and pirates in the southeast.

The country is also sometimes used as a conduit for shipping arms into other parts of West Africa or the world.

In 2010, a consignment of rocket launchers, grenades and other explosive from Iran was seized at Lagos, causing a diplomatic incident between the two countries, and later between Iran and Senegal, which accused Iranian security forces of using the route to supply weapons to its Casamance rebels.

(Reporting by Tife Owolabi; Writing by Tim Cocks)

Source
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by onila(f): 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
shocked
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Foxybone(m): 2:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
Second to comment..... grin grin grin

Wait o... When did the Russians become interested in the state of affairs of this beautiful country.. This guys are working really hard to make sure Armageddon starts in Nigeria.... angry angry angry

But, I still retain my second position sha tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by slimming: 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2012
Those are the people supplying arms to the BH. God don intervene o
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Super1759: 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2012
good,so can we trace the owner of the containers? Lekwanu ndi russia oooo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by sunkoye: 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2012
angry i always wonder why we humans do these to ourselves
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Kslib(m): 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2012
Good job,but the end justifies all.. The question now,is "How will the case end?"
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
IRAN. IRAN. IRAN. Iran,Afghan,Iraq,Russia,Syria, Mali, Yemen. We need to secure our borders against these Nations who might want to help the bh boys execute their plan of making Nigeria an islamic nation by all means. I pity this country. I'm sure out of 1 ship cought,9 would have landed safely within the shores of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
onila: shocked
come do you have a life outside nairaland?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
Enough of this playing to the gallery cos we now know the drill; the case will fizzle out into thin air. No one would be prosecuted for this.

It's a pity the damage this weapons would have done will be mostly on the ordinary man hustling for his daily bread.

Phuck war mongers.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by gbadexy(m): 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2012
I think its for the ship's use.
What's some 22 rifles and 8500 ammunitions.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by EmmaTay(m): 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2012
Don't mind them,when their own country is almost destroyed,why won't they look for a way to help others destroy themselves. BOKO HARAM FIREARMS AND AMMUNITIONS SUPPLIERS
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by KayDee4: 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
A GEJ vs Putin faceoff would be interesting to watch.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by onila(f): 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2012
StewieGriffin: come do you have a life outside nairaland?

how do you notice me on nairaland?

that shows yr always online 2 notice my presence-do the maths undecided

idiat!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by chucky234(m): 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2012
Russians will never sponsor anything other than terrorism,I have always knew they are one of the heartless nations sponsoring BH. Their cup don full dey throway,I hope FG held on to those goons and wait for their terrorist govt to intervene.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by dederocs(m): 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
All these chaos and anarchy will continue,until we amend our constitution so it meets up to challenges of our time.Ritualist,terrorist and savages should be sentenced to death when caught...if we keep handling this insecurity with kids gloves,majority of the poor jobless youths will embrace crime,then the good will suffer and bear the brunt.Senators,house of reps,u better sit up else you all will also pay the price,no one is safe from kidnappers and killers.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
They caught just one ship.
But how many ships managed to slip through our porous boarders?

Nigerians, just shine your eyes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
we guess Boko Haram guys are running out of stock . so they want to update their stock.
Good Move.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by ayee001: 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2012
Trust the Russians. Always too quick to earn from trouble spots.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Patdedon(m): 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:
A GEJ vs Putin faceoff would be interesting to watch.
And who is GEJ undecided Faceoff with putin?? 4 wot na undecided
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
It's not even something serious.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by femiseun1: 3:08pm On Oct 23, 2012
What happened to the the last people caught smuggling arms from iran...NOTHING. This one too will be swept under the carpet.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Rooneyboy(m): 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
chei !
Who do they intend using 8500 rounds of ammunition on ,
Rams or Humans ?
May God save us in this country o.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by hotwax: 3:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
They are using religion to distabilize all democratic countries. They want us to be communist under the muslims.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by mejai(m): 3:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
Got me laffin.....pirates in d east! shocked for oji river abi?
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Toktee(m): 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
Thiz iz the same Russian that iz arming bashar assad of syria to kill his people,more than twenty thousand people has died and still counting yet the supply keep ariving,may God prepared a special place 4 them in hell.
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by sunnx(f): 3:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
maryjames9: IRAN. IRAN. IRAN. Iran,Afghan,Iraq,Russia,Syria, Mali, Yemen. We need to secure our borders against these Nations who might want to help the bh boys execute their plan of making Nigeria an islamic nation by all means. I pity this country. I'm sure out of 1 ship cought,9 would have landed safely within the shores of Nigeria

U right i think such alike...
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by ifihearam: 3:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
StewieGriffin: come do you have a life outside nairaland?

RFLMAO

WETIN CONCERN YOU SEF
BUT UNA GET BAD MOUTH SHA
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by DMainMan: 3:28pm On Oct 23, 2012
maryjames9: IRAN. IRAN. IRAN. Iran,Afghan,Iraq,Russia,Syria, Mali, Yemen. We need to secure our borders against these Nations who might want to help the bh boys execute their plan of making Nigeria an islamic nation by all means. I pity this country. I'm sure out of 1 ship cought,9 would have landed safely within the shores of Nigeria

so russia is a muslim nation. chai. i pity some human being dat reason from d anus. u just portrayed ignorrance and violence towards a religion without any cause. u ar d type of person dat bombs and kill people joyfully to satisfy yourself. aw demonic and evil u ar in your heart.

Now we now know d world want nigeria to break. first it was america. America is only inrterested in your oil. u nigerdeltan people wil bear d consequence most. i pity all of u.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by jamace(m): 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kslib: Good job,but the end justifies all.. The question now,is "How will the case end?"
The case will follow backyard and disappear into the high sea. End of discussion. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by Born2beRich1(m): 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
Nonsense....By the time dey settle some of them story go end....I might be wrong though.. shocked
Re: Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling by killuminati(m): 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
I fit bet my precious life say na christian people get all this weapon undecided una cup don full Una shyt for church God don catch una, satan worshippers undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 ELECTION RESULTS: JEGA Ignored Jonathan's Phone Call / Dasuki Got Jonathan's Approvals To Collect $2.1bn From NNPC In 9 Months-TheCable / Court Hears IPOB's Application Against Proscription Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.