Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. (3213 Views)

Working In Abuja Vs Lagos / What Did You Study And Where Are You Working? / Nigerian Physics Graduates,where Are You Working? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 8:14pm On Jan 25, 2008
How is the working environment like? How do you relate to your colleagues and how do they relate to you?
I work in Europe. I was the only black girl working in the company I work for until recently when another black girl from Brazil was employed. Although in my team I still work alone with whites and an Asian girl, sometimes it's really a competition especially with my American colleague to prove to our boss who is better. Let's compare notes, what are your offices like?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2008
Na wao nairalanders so all una wey de abroad wetin una de do there wey no body fit answer abit na only drug barons, dish /toilet cleaners full here?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Dreloaded(f): 6:49pm On Jan 28, 2008
where in aEurope do you work and what kind of company is it that you're the only black person?

I work as a Biochemist in a Medical Diagnostics Company. We have some black people here, ironically out of us most of the black americans work in the Administrative field while most of the the researchers/scientists/chemist are Africans

Not much competition here. Everyone is doing what they can to survive basically. Although you ahve a few blacks trying to "outwhite" each other, kinda pathetic.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 7:11pm On Jan 28, 2008
D-reloaded:

where in aEurope do you work and what kind of company is it that you're the only black person?

I work as a Biochemist in a Medical Diagnostics Company. We have some black people here, ironically out of us most of the black americans work in the Administrative field while most of the the researchers/scientists/chemist are Africans

Not much competition here. Everyone is doing what they can to survive basically. Although you ahve a few blacks trying to "outwhite" each other, kind of pathetic.

I work in Hitlers homeland so you can imagine and I didn't say I 'm the only black person there. I said I was the only black girl before the Brazilian girl was employed and of course we have black men I think about 6 or 7 of them in other departments.  Whats J york by the way?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by debosky(m): 7:15pm On Jan 28, 2008
In my research group, I'm the only black person, apart from two other guys in this reserach institute of over 300 employees, I've only seen four other black people, one of them was a cleaner. Its not bad relating with them, cos they haven't heard too much nasty naija 419 stories, although one guy asked me about suspicious emails he was getting in his box, and that are Nigerians so rich to be giving away millions of dollars? sad

People will respect you if you know your job and do it well, since this place is full of immigrants, its ok, we all come from all over anyways so in that sense we aren't very different from each other.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Dreloaded(f): 8:03pm On Jan 28, 2008
Blackcat:

I work in Hitlers homeland so you can imagine and I didn't say I 'm the only black person there. I said I was the only black girl before the Brazilian girl was employed and of course we have black men I think about 6 or 7 of them in other departments.  Whats J york by the way?

lol Austria or Germany?   grin

I sympathize with you sha. Anyway I live in New York aka Jew York.  tongue

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2008
debosky:

In my research group, I'm the only black person, apart from two other guys in this reserach institute of over 300 employees, I've only seen four other black people, one of them was a cleaner. Its not bad relating with them, because they haven't heard too much nasty naija 419 stories, although one guy asked me about suspicious emails he was getting in his box, and that are Nigerians so rich to be giving away millions of dollars? sad

People will respect you if you know your job and do it well, since this place is full of immigrants, its ok, we all come from all over anyways so in that sense we aren't very different from each other.

Which country are you currently doing your research in? (saw Onitsha on your profile)

D-reloaded:

lol Austria or Germany?   grin

I sympathize with you sha. Anyway I live in New York aka Jew York.  tongue

My dear it is not easy here for foreigners at all (black,white, yellow or red)
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Dreloaded(f): 5:15pm On Jan 29, 2008
no mind Debo. The bloody Canuck tongue
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 10:13am On Jan 30, 2008
@D-reloaded could it be that most nairalanders are doing dubious businesses? Strange that just you and Debo chipped in. Hmmm I guess one shouldn't believe all the bullshit they write up in here about been successful and all that cheesy
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by freelancer(m): 2:42pm On Jan 30, 2008
I work in Germany and i happen to also be the only black in the company. Some colleagues are a bit funny as they feel too important, but, i must say that there are some nices ones too that are not bothered about the colour. I'm used to it anyway, after having already spent 2 years for a Masters degree in the country.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 4:54pm On Jan 30, 2008
freelancer:

I work in Germany and i happen to also be the only black in the company. Some colleagues are a bit funny as they feel too important, but, i must say that there are some nices ones too that are not bothered about the colour. I'm used to it anyway, after having already spent 2 years for a Masters degree in the country.

Wie geht es dir? Wie lange haben sie in Deutschland gewohnt?

I guess the biggest problem is that people relate to us based on what they see and not what we have upstairs. sad
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Dreloaded(f): 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2008
German is such an ugly language tongue
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Tats(m): 11:28pm On Jan 30, 2008
Blackcat:

@D-reloaded could it be that most nairalanders are doing dubious businesses? Strange that just you and Debo chipped in. Hmmm I guess one shouldn't believe all the bullshit they write up in here about been successful and all that cheesy

When people don't respond, it is not necessarily that they are doing dubious business. Well, since you did not specify professionals, cleaners and so on can still respond to your post as they also work in companies and have colleagues too grin.

UK is very multicultural and anyway, for us here, you are likely to find some blacks in our companies at different levels (from managers to cleaners). There are blacks in both my company and client company and many of them are Nigerians. We are 5 in my team (two British, a Portuguese and a Swiss) and all of us get along very well and they do respect me a lot and same for the other Nigerians.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 2:06pm On Jan 31, 2008
D-reloaded:

German is such an ugly language tongue

I completely agree with you but hey I live there
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 2:09pm On Jan 31, 2008
Cleaners are free to post in too.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by sexxxxy(f): 5:36pm On Feb 01, 2008
@Black cat
Wo her in deutsch land wohnen sie?

I work in london (but speak some German)theres really no discrimantion,about 20 in my team,black Asia,white's,everybody gets along,it just depends on u ,if u r friendly or not,
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by freelancer(m): 10:19pm On Feb 02, 2008
@Blackcat

Hallo, ich bin in Deutschland für 3 Jahre. Hat meine Diplom hier und jetzt arbeiten. Ich habe zu leben, in der Ost-, aber nun in den Norden. Wie lange sind Sie schon hier?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 12:25am On Feb 03, 2008
freelancer:

@Blackcat

Hallo, ich bin in Deutschland für 3 Jahre. Hat meine Diplom hier und jetzt arbeiten. Ich habe zu leben, in der Ost-, aber nun in den Norden. Wie lange sind Sie schon hier?

Ich bin gerade zwei jahre hier. Nairaland Ich glaube hat viele prolete hier nicht so viel gute mensch sind hier. Was denken Sie?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by romeo(m): 9:52am On Feb 03, 2008
@blackcat

was ist genau Ihre Arbeit im Büro? jemand sagte Biochemiker und einen anderen besagten Forscher
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by freelancer(m): 2:23pm On Feb 03, 2008
@Black Cat

Gut, ich denke, es gibt nur verschiedene Menschen mit lustigen Ideen, aber einige sind verrückt. Aber, es ist wirklich gut zu können, Ideen mit Nigerianer als mit den Deutschen! Also, wo arbeiten Sie?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by adesteve: 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2008
HELLO BLACKCAT,

I AM PLANNING TO COME FOR MY MASTERS IN EITHER AUSTRIA OR GERMANY.

I AM CONSIDERING EITHER A MASTERS OR PHD TAUGHT IN ENGLISH.

IS GERMAN LANGUAGE COMPULSORY FOR ME?

PLS REPLY
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by adesteve: 3:40pm On Feb 03, 2008
HELLO BLACKCAT,

PLS REPLY
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 3:56pm On Feb 03, 2008
adesteve:

HELLO BLACKCAT,

PLS REPLY

If you intend to study in an Austrian or German university you will have to learn how to speak and write deutsch for the first one year although the Webster university is an exception(lectures are in english) for more info please visit this link http://www.webster.ac.at/
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2008
freelancer:

@Black Cat

Gut, ich denke, es gibt nur verschiedene Menschen mit lustigen Ideen, aber einige sind verrückt. Aber, es ist wirklich gut zu können, Ideen mit Nigerianer als mit den Deutschen! Also, wo arbeiten Sie?

Sie haben rechts aber Ich denke viele leute im nairaland sind Lügner.  Ich arbeite in Wien
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 4:11pm On Feb 03, 2008
sexxxxy:

@Black cat
Wo her in deutsch land wohnen sie?

I work in london (but speak some German)theres really no discrimantion,about 20 in my team,black Asia,white's,everybody gets along,it just depends on u ,if you're friendly or not,

Hallo sexxxxy wie geht es dir? Ich wohne in Wien nicht in Deutschland.

I believe places like london will be more liberal as compared to Austria or Germany.
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by oziomatv(m): 4:29pm On Feb 03, 2008
I'm a 419er can I post here?
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by romeo(m): 10:23pm On Feb 03, 2008
Blackcat:

Sie haben rechts aber Ich denke viele leute im nairaland sind Lügner. Ich arbeite in Wien

Sie sind ein grösserer Lügner von allen und außer Ihnen sind ein Buschmädchen
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 3:03pm On Feb 04, 2008
oziomatv:

I'm a 419er can I post here?

Yes
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 3:04pm On Feb 04, 2008
romeo:

Sie sind ein grösserer Lügner von allen und außer Ihnen sind ein Buschmädchen

Prolete cheesy
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by romeo(m): 5:45pm On Feb 04, 2008
Blackcat:

Prolete cheesy

What? as in fabric? LoL grin
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by Blackcat(f): 10:17pm On Feb 04, 2008
romeo:

What? as in fabric? LoL grin

It is dialect deutsch. The translation sites can't help you with this one. romeo stop chasing Blackcat oh go and look for juliet (I have seen someone with that nickname already ) hmmm a word is enough for the wise oh grin
Re: For Those Of You Working In Foreign Countries. by oziomatv(m): 10:16am On Feb 05, 2008
Blackcat:

It is dialect deutsch. The tranlation sites can't help you with this one. romeo stop chasing Blackcat oh go and look for juliet (I have seen someone with that nickname already ) hmmm a word is enough for the wise oh grin

So two of una dey play love with dutch language but use english to deceive members in the forum sey una dey quarel, eehh,
ok. I no go put mouth for una case again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does Oil Companies Pay Doctors And Pharmacists / See How Easy I Make Over $100 Daily Online From Home / Mobile Phones, Decoders, Laptops Repair Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.