Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Nigerians In The Uk. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Uk. (9548 Views)

Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In The Uk. by Dantecmu(m): 3:07am On Jan 26, 2008
I noticed sumthing bout Nigerians in the UK. They always discourage Nigerians from coming over telling them how difficult the UK is bla bla bla bla bla, But still they are in the uk hassling n telling everybody how useless the uk is. My analysis of the Uk is this You can never n would never compare the life in th uk with that in Nigeria. Never i mean never be u legal or illegal the life in the uk is better than the life you leave in Nigeria AS A YOUNG NIGERIAN  GRADUATE WITH NO CONNECTION.Even washing toilets in the uk th least u get paid is 5:65pounds per hour  hw many graduates in Nigeria earn this. Its crazy man UK no easy Na naija easy which country on earth is easy? Not that am encouraging illigall immigrants in the uk but the truth is this nigerians in the uk should stop telling us how difficult it is in the uk cause it aint as difficult as it is back home so ur all who wanna come to the uk ur welcome to the life of hussling.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Dantecmu(m): 11:38am On Jan 26, 2008
@siena
Nice to hear from you, all them old skool dont post much on nairaland anymore . well i have being in da uk for about a month plus now am presently in hatfield its kinda like 45mins from heathrow.Th reason i posted this topic was bcus of my observations since i came in to the uk they tell you how difficult the uk is and how stressfull it is but still they stay behind, anyways skilled or unskilled you make ur money cause the british economy anyways is all bout what you have to offer not what your qualifications are.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by omega25red(m): 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2008
you funny oh you only dey uk for less than a month and you dey talk like this? well i can understand what you mean about your life improving from what you had in Nigeria, but my brother life of an illegal immigrant is hard for get the fact that you can make money as an illegal but think of this: everyday you are scared of being deported, every day you can be fired from your job because you really have no rights as an employee, everyday someone is taking advantage of you because they know your scared of being arrested as an illegal immigrant ( maybe not everyday) you can earn they money you actually deserve as an illegal you can have all the special skill in the world and all the degress in the world they would still look down upon you as a 5th class citizen. Even your own people who some how got lucky to get there papers would be looking at you like you are not at their level and you both came from the same town. these are just a few reasons

By no means am i saying that you can't make it in another country as an illegal but it is hard for a lot of people and for some it is easy but the people that it is hard for are more than the people who had it easy. If you are ready for the struggle by all means go for it because i did and know i just became a citizen after 14years i got my green card after 7 years of going to court and having a judge passing an order of deportation. well thats my own story after you have been in the uk for a year or two come back here and tell your story.

good luck [i][/i][s][/s]you will need it

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by joshjosh(m): 8:18pm On Jan 26, 2008
couldn't have put it better. sienna always the post to watch. great mind, common sense and never arrogant.

i went to a friend citizenship ceremony last year. someone asked him how he was his reply was it was not easy.

that is him having papers and all that still complaining. most nigerians complain by habit and nature and feel very comfortable with it.

just get on and work hard. get enough help and advice you can get. stay away from thieves, lazy people & others that allow fear run their lives. dont fail to educate and re-educate yourself. the only thing the english system forbids you being is king/ queen and maybe politically the prime minister unless you are an anglican.

if you work hard and you are fair with the stiff upper lip ( that is not letting everyone especially the white man know how you came to conquer the land), they don't notice you let alone try to stop you.

and it doesn't hurt getting God on your side.

hope you enjoy and prosper here. enjoy your stay. God bless you
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Dantecmu(m): 11:01am On Jan 27, 2008
You Guys are getting it all wrong i didn't n never said i was gonna chill n hussle up ma papers i would be leaving back 4 ma country Naija in some few days time.
@omega25red
How many yrs u wn make i dey uk befour i go fit talk, ur one of those typical Nigerians am talking about, Don't come, dont come, london is hard for illegal immigrants but still u sidon 4 london as an illegal immigrant they hussle 4 papers for 7-10 yrs. if u can take all dem bullshit who tell you say pple back home no fit. And for ur information what rights do you have in Nigeria as a Nigerian working in Nigeria lol. Ur as good as an alien In Naija even nigerian. like i earlier said not that i am encouraging illegal immigrants into UK my point is this illegal or legal once Ur patience n hardworking n tolerant infact the part of being tolerant i don't think u would have a choice on that bcus every nigerian has that in him cause we are not used to having our human rights anyways, i think you would make it here, work hard send some mny back home save up a little n leave there country for them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by typhoo: 6:32pm On Jan 28, 2008
The reason is mainly peace of mind, not really money or wealth.
I know no policeman or soldier will slap me on the road.
The price of everything is what it is for everyone whether you na big man or small man.
you do not need egunje to do anything, and most of all it is rare for armed robbers to break into your house and shoot you (although it does happen sometimes) because you no get money.
Most people carry only cards around anyway so no thousands of pounds or naira when you are travelling so no need for luxurious highway robbers or machine gun mopol looking for money.

so if you be general manager of justice you must queue for train station like the taxi driver for front.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by typhoo: 6:34pm On Jan 28, 2008
yes washing toilet is £5.65 but a bottle of large coke £1.20.
way more expensive than naija.

pint of beer £3.20 and petrol is £1.10 a litre.

It is not the amount ,but what it buys.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Dantecmu(m): 7:43pm On Jan 28, 2008
Typhoo

A focused illigal immigrant knows better than to come to the uk and buy a car, And more over you work at least 9hours 5days a week you shouuld be able to afford a bottle of coke dats if you must drink coke at all.u fit they wash toilet for uk buy a land and complete a house in naija if ur focused. after all ADENUGA WAS A TAXI DRIVER IN THE UK DBANJ DEY WORK FOR MCDONALDS B4 so,

You cannot and never will b able to compare both sides Naija and UK. You cant even Compare life in south africa and Naija. Naija has a long way to go from no light in the airports to molues and no light and all them crap but funny enough theres no place like home thats the irony of life.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Tats(m): 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2008
Life is sweet here! There is still room for legal migrants.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Bedos(m): 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2008
I would rather stay here, than go back to Naija now.

There is more hope here than down there. Please come to the UK if you know you can work hard and honestly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by almondjoy(f): 2:13pm On Jan 30, 2008
joshjosh:

couldn't have put it better. sienna always the post to watch. great mind, common sense and never arrogant.

i went to a friend citizenship ceremony last year. someone asked him how he was his reply was it was not easy.

that is him having papers and all that still complaining. most nigerians complain by habit and nature and feel very comfortable with it.

just get on and work hard. get enough help and advice you can get. stay away from thieves, lazy people & others that allow fear run their lives. don't fail to educate and re-educate yourself. the only thing the english system forbids you being is king/ queen and maybe politically the prime minister unless you are an anglican.

if you work hard and you are fair with the stiff upper lip ( that is not letting everyone especially the white man know how you came to conquer the land), they don't notice you let alone try to stop you.

and it doesn't hurt getting God on your side.

hope you enjoy and prosper here. enjoy your stay. God bless you

And you too joshjosh! Great advice!

That is why we are crazy about Siena.  He is so human! kiss

You always find maturity and common sense in ALL his posts.  Never any grammatical error.  Gosh!  Got to love him!

And you too! kiss
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by folahann(m): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2008
Owo nbe l'apo mi o
dide koo bami jo
Owo nbe l'apo mi o
dide koo bami jo
mama charlie nbe l'apo mi
dide koo bami ra
dollar nbe naira nbe
kuriki nbe paper nbe. . . .
. . . . .
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by amsky(m): 10:44pm On Jan 30, 2008
@ folahan

pls is this a song?

kindly let us know what it means? not everyone understands yoruba.i'll like to know pls.

cheers.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by folahann(m): 12:09am On Jan 31, 2008
Yes it's a song but it's meant for people who already know the song
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by komekn(m): 2:03am On Jan 31, 2008
The measure of a man/ woman is not in his location but in the content of his character.
What’s valuable to you? The pursuit of the £££ at any cost no matter the cost.
If you have the qualification tickets, the knowledge and the edge you may find some satisfaction for a while. And the term is for a while, after a while the pains of poverties past life in Naija will be forgotten.
Reality will hit, you may be more qualified, experienced, capable and able but not presentable for the top position, you see your Black; we do have racism here alive and kicking.
And if you’re not legal well that’s a whole new lecture and another way of life, indeed a desperate life, not another life.
That’s why come the holidays like captive tigers we’ll pay anything for that flight home, just one week in Lagos or Warri to get back to life, Naija Life.
kiss
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by dnative(m): 9:01am On Jan 31, 2008
Wherever you are, stay there if you are happy and ok. If you are not, there's no harm in migrating but do this legally. It's human nature to emigrate, man has been doing from ages past. What's good for the goose not necessarily good for the gander, examine your own situation, do your due diligence to find out hard facts as they apply to your situation (i repeat your situation and not every other stereotyped situation), then make your decision whether to migrate or not and live with your choice - for good or bad.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by d1twista(m): 3:32am On Feb 01, 2008
men, i need you guys to help me, can you give me your personal email address, i really need to talk with you, Siena and Bedos, please, its very urgent, thanks men
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ebonyx1: 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2008
hi,nairalanders,
i need a little help here,i have a choice to make and i want a million and one advice from u guys,
i'm a british citizen but left london when i was 12yrs old for nigeria, just finished nysc and i'm about goin back to london to register for acca exams and get a job, but i heard some things about london which are not encouragin,so i'm thinking of staying here in nigeria,phc to be precise get a job and just go there for visits,besides i heard that you can't get a serious relationship over there and i'm in a serious relationship now,so pls help don't have much time left to give my family my final decision.thanks all.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by banni: 5:07pm On Feb 27, 2008
What you get in UK ,USA or anywhere in europe is this.A decent standard of living .

A Nigerian earning 200k a month would spent a fortune on simple things like food.Go check price of food in this countries and then Nigeria not counting of course food only grown back home like yam.

You have security and a peace of mind.constant light and if you are ready to work hard you can actually do some courses and get a better job then washing toilets .

Also job security in Nigeria is only safe mainly in government jobs which rarely even offer a great salary.

But lets also face it ,most people abroad have their own lives and would discourage people coming simply because they are tired of having people constantly coming in to live with them for 1 year then before they can rest a new person arrives.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by komekn(m): 5:48pm On Feb 27, 2008
ebony-x

Let’s make an informed projection, generally speaking, all things being equal, in Nigeria if you have British qualifications you will have an edge over your peers with Nigerian qualifications. If you add to that relevant experience in a UK blue-chip company, then you will be fishing in the senior management pool.

First thing to do is a relevant Masters it will cost you 15% of what overseas students are paying so already you’re a few miles ahead. Next thing is to do some relevant research of interest to the blue chip companies you have identified in the UK. This creates the possibility of sponsorship; in addition there are a number of funding bodies for UK nationals and EEC citizens and or get a part time job . Of the outmost importance my view; don’t go to London it’s overrated, very expensive and the people can be somewhat pretensions, come to the North West it’s a lot better.

At completion you should work for a relevant blue chip company (not essential, any reputable company will do.) for about two years in the UK. Apply to selected companies in Nigeria, what you will find is that the attributes of knowledge, ability, competence directly related to the company that you have worked for will be associated on to your person giving you added advantage.

Finally nothing is certain only God through Jesus is. As it concerns that subject Husband, like Nigeria, lots of churches with thousands of members but very, very, very few disciples now if you are partner is a disciple then No Shakin!! If he isn’t and if you are not then it’s time to pray grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ty4real(m): 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2008
@Dan!
You are the bomb for this post! I am really tired of people saying there is nothing here and this are the same pple dt share prayer point ooooo wen they want to go and apply fro visa, den give dem finish den don dey taste mama Charlies lifestyle na soso discouragement den go dey send!
But for real na d exposure me i wan get oo and i go get am soon wink wink wink wink!Its good to come into the Uk legally and hope for d best, an di think nothing and nowhere is easy in life its been humans dt makes anything and anywhere to be easy! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Tats(m): 2:38am On Feb 28, 2008
komekn:

ebony-x

Let’s make an informed projection, generally speaking, all things being equal, in Nigeria if you have British qualifications you will have an edge over your peers with Nigerian qualifications. If you add to that relevant experience in a UK blue-chip company, then you will be fishing in the senior management pool.

First thing to do is a relevant Masters it will cost you 15% of what overseas students are paying so already you’re a few miles ahead. Next thing is to do some relevant research of interest to the blue chip companies you have identified in the UK. This creates the possibility of sponsorship; in addition there are a number of funding bodies for UK nationals and EEC citizens and or get a part time job . Of the outmost importance my view; don’t go to London it’s overrated, very expensive and the people can be somewhat pretensions, come to the North West it’s a lot better.

At completion you should work for a relevant blue chip company (not essential, any reputable company will do.) for about two years in the UK. Apply to selected companies in Nigeria, what you will find is that the attributes of knowledge, ability, competence directly related to the company that you have worked for will be associated on to your person giving you added advantage.

Finally nothing is certain only God through Jesus is. As it concerns that subject Husband, like Nigeria, lots of churches with thousands of members but very, very, very few disciples now if you are partner is a disciple then No Shakin!! If he isn’t and if you are not then it’s time to pray grin

I appreciate your write up and it is some very good advice, but here are my thoughts.
As a citizen, you still need the three years residency in the UK to be able to pay home fees. So ebony-x has no immediate advantage over others in that regard.

London is not any different from the way major cities of the world are, compared to cities in the countryside. Living in lagos and living in Calabar, Ilorin or Jos are very diferent. Just like salaries in Northern Ireland for instance are like half of what you will get in London, so do people earn less in smaller cities in Nigeria. You can work in london, earn a high salary compared to other cities and live outside london. Tens of thousand of people commute to london everyday from near/far cities into the various train station hubs (Waterloo, Paddington, London bridge, Marylebone, Liverpool street, Fernchurch, Victoria, KingsCross/St pancras, Euston, e.t.c) and that is why the trains have to work or else the city grinds to a halt! I enjoy london and do not intend to take up a job outside it. Its one's choice to live where one wants to.

@Ebony-x
If you decide not to come and live in the UK, life is what you make out of the opportunities that you have. As a graduate, a British citizen and one capable of getting an ACCA, then you should be able to make something good out of life here.

It is difficult to quantify the experience you get working in this environment, building a career as well as living here. Perhaps, the people you have heard from or about have not had it easy. There are very many Nigerians who have things going on well for them here in their careers. You can be one of them if you choose to. Shouldn't you strive to overcome an issue when it presents itself to you or are you not able to take risks in life? You have a British passport and can always go back if you see that you don't like it out here. I don't think that is so difficult.

As for the serious relationship, i don't know how you can deal with that! grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by komekn(m): 2:27pm On Feb 28, 2008
I don’t subscribe to illegality and therefore will not advise anybody to do anything that would put them in a position of disadvantage.

Funding regimes for Masters and post graduate study programmes create the pre-requisite requirements and they are very different from undergraduates study. I will suggest that you are making a general statement and not a specific one; the pre-requisites are not tied to residency.( Re. Tats response)

ebonyx my standpoint remains the same. The choice is yours wink
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ebonyx1: 3:41pm On Feb 28, 2008
thanks alot you guys have given me something to think about. i think i like the idea of working in london,but not living there and later applying for a job in nigeria when i have my acca and other qualifications i might get along the way.
@komekn
my guy is a christian we attend winners chapel.just dont want him worrying,cos most girls travel abroad and just forget the relationships their in,don't want that to happen to me,the devil can be really smart at times dont want to give the chance at all.
i'll just have to make sure i can come around for christmas at least.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ebonyx1: 4:14pm On Feb 28, 2008
what about ireland,never been there can anyone say anything about living and working in ireland.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ijogbon(m): 5:19pm On Mar 02, 2008
@ Poster

WHO NO KNOW GO KNOW !!!!

Come the jand nah? You are welcome.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Dantecmu(m): 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2008
ijogbon:

@ Poster

WHO NO KNOW GO KNOW !!!!

Come the jand nah? You are welcome.

My guy weting u know wey dem born you with no be know u know self. Me don entre and me don commot no shaking i go entre again and again no shaking. If i know get better job here for naija i for dey hussle self with you for that town.

ciao

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 03, 2008
Ebony,
i've got a friend that's exactly in the same boat as yourself. he graduated from UNIPORT with 2:1 and studied accounting but can't seem to get a job in the UK. he's finally gone back to nigeria and only visits the Uk and other places.

In my opinion, a non citizen is more likely to get a job in the UK if he studied here (that is college, university degree and masters). Now, im not saying companies do not employ people that studied outside the country but as far as i am aware only a handful get the jobs and in most cases its like sstarting from the scratch and working your way up( which i believe u can do as per naija babe).

like the other poster said, u cannot pay home fee as u havent lived here permanently for 3 years.

To be honest and to keep this simple, u'd have to live here for at least 3 years to enjoy the benefits of a citizen. 

if i have to be blunt, you're just like any other legal immigrant  but with a british passport which u will only start to enjoy after 3 years.

if i'm correct, a british passport holder will be allowed entry into most countries without a VISA. not quite the same for an american passport holder
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ebonyx1: 2:03pm On Mar 03, 2008
thanks alot,but i have lived in the uk for 12 yrs.i had my primary education there.
doesnt that mean anythin?
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by komekn(m): 4:12pm On Mar 03, 2008
Ebonyx,

The concept of continuous and prior principal abode in relation to home students pursuing a course of post graduate study in the UK is far from conclusive, is not a pre requisite for home students post graduate study.

My assertion remains the same and i do not wish to give specific institutions, however, if you remain skeptical, you can always start as a part time student which will take 2 years instead of one and kill two birds with one stone get the right experience and get paid.
wink
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by ebonyx1: 2:20pm On Mar 04, 2008
@kome
thanks alot for ur help, i'm really grateful
Re: Nigerians In The Uk. by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 05, 2008
ebony_x:

thanks alot,but i have lived in the uk for 12 years.i had my primary education there.
doesnt that mean anythin?

i doubt if that'd make much difference. i would suggest coming over and staying here for a while, at least 3 yrs. trust me, it'd do u more good than harm. u can study and work at the same as the other poster said. as a british citizen u can study on part time bases. if ur partner is the understanding type, u can bring him over here and settle down.

no long tin!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Third Mainland Bridge Reopens On Thursday, April 4, 2024 / Traffic Advisory: Lagos Women's Run Holds November 12th, 2022 (Tomorrow). / How Possible To Travel Out If You Don't Know Anyone Abroad To Stay With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.