Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice (20552 Views)

I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / Few Nigerians Work As Cabin-Crew On International Airlines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 8:55am On Oct 25, 2012
As a married woman that need to change her name on the International passport. Can she go for a new passport since there is no Visa at all on the old one? When I discussed with one Immigration Officer,he was asking me to pay almost double of the amount charged for new passport. Pls, advice, is this supposed to be so?? Another one also advised that we will do a new one and that we should bring the old passport along but still charging almost double of the normal amount. Pls, kindly drop your advice here.Thank you
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by beau4lyf: 9:13pm On Oct 25, 2012
Yes you will need to do a new passport, just did mine 3 months ago and the price was the same as doing a new passport, it took about 2 weeks becos according to the officers the people tht do the changes on the system are from an external body and they come to do it 2wice a week also the change of name can only be done in abuja. These were d steps i took in doing mine
1. Did a court change of name
2. Did newspaper publication
3. Took the documents above with a copy of my marriage cert, 2 passport pics and my old passport
I did another image capture after 3days of submitting my docs came back about 10 days later they gave me my new passport and the old one which was cancelled without prejudice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 3:16pm On Oct 27, 2012
beau4lyf: Yes you will need to do a new passport, just did mine 3 months ago and the price was the same as doing a new passport, it took about 2 weeks becos according to the officers the people tht do the changes on the system are from an external body and they come to do it 2wice a week also the change of name can only be done in abuja. These were d steps i took in doing mine
1. Did a court change of name
2. Did newspaper publication
3. Took the documents above with a copy of my marriage cert, 2 passport pics and my old passport
I did another image capture after 3days of submitting my docs came back about 10 days later they gave me my new passport and the old one which was cancelled without prejudice

Thanks for sharing your experience. I truly appreciate.Pls, can you give me the idea of how much you spent to do this precisely? I am not currently in the country and those people my wife spoke with are just asking for almost double of the normal charges.
Thanks so much
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by beau4lyf: 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2012
i spent like 15k
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 4:36pm On Oct 27, 2012
beau4lyf: i spent like 15k
Thanks
Did you just went to the immigration Head office and talk to them or you know someone there that assisted you
Pls kindly answer my question above.
God bless you
Thanks
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by justwise(m): 5:05pm On Oct 27, 2012
@ Dudurex

It will be fair if you keep the discussion open here so that others will benefit, if everybody takes it offline then nobody will get help or have something to read.

I also think that beau4lyf has given you more than enough info
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 6:31pm On Oct 27, 2012
justwise: @ Dudurex

It will be fair if you keep the discussion open here so that others will benefit, if everybody takes it offline here then nobody will get help or have something to read.

I also think that beau4lyf has given you more than enough info

Thanks
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 28, 2012
Last time i did a passport everything was legit, spend about the amount quoted above and took about same time too. No man know man just normal process applying online and visiting the office when called.

It appears your wife is indisposed, or not used to following normal protocol. That's Naija for us, corruption has so messed up our minds we always look for short cuts when there is no need to.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by justwise(m): 7:39am On Oct 28, 2012
trae_z: Last time i did a passport everything was legit, spend about the amount quoted above and took about same time too. No man know man just normal process applying online and visiting the office when called.

It appears your wife is indisposed, or not used to following normal protocol. That's Naija for us, corruption has so messed up our minds we always look for short cuts when there is no need to.

A++++++

100 likes

1 Like

Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 6:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
trae_z: Last time i did a passport everything was legit, spend about the amount quoted above and took about same time too. No man know man just normal process applying online and visiting the office when called.

While appreciating your contribution that is positive to me, I totally disagree with the later part of your comment. It is not a bad thing to ask for information here. I asked because I needed to know. About being indisposed. You are wrong simply because, when she went to the immigration office, the two officers she met before retiring back were requesting for close to 30k. Right at the head office there. I spoke with one of them on phone and he still insisted and later told me the price has changed. Its so unfortunate that lots of wet blankets and thugs (in Uniform) are crowded at our so called Nigerian Immigration Offices. Am better informed with @beau4lyf explanation and will take step base on that
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Dudurex: 6:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
justwise: [/b]

A++++++

100 likes
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by mimi77: 10:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
beau4lyf: i spent like 15k

na waoh?
spoke to one immigration officer last sept. and he advised against getting a new one
but i should go to abuja and do reissue, cost 50k.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by olaidecash: 4:33pm On Jan 30, 2013
Can't it be done in lagos?cos am also aving same problem on my passport.need to change to my husband surname.I just need someone to help me out.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
olaidecash: Can't it be done in lagos?cos am also aving same problem on my passport.need to change to my husband surname.I just need someone to help me out.
I also just got married and about to do the change of name, went to the immigration officer that renewed my passport the last time and she told me it can only be done in abuja, even after so much pleas. I'm required to come with my marriage cert, passport photograph,old passport,newspaper publication. Althought the application would be sent from lagos, I have to go to abuja for scaanning and my passport would be sent back. I hope this help, just visit ur nearest immigration office and I'm positive you'l be told the same thing.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
olaidecash: Can't it be done in lagos?cos am also aving same problem on my passport.need to change to my husband surname.I just need someone to help me out.
I also just got married and about to do the change of name, went to the immigration officer that renewed my passport the last time and she told me it can only be done in abuja, even after so much pleas. I'm required to come with my marriage cert, passport photograph,old passport,newspaper publication. Althought the application would be sent from lagos, I have to go to abuja for scaanning and my passport would be sent back. I hope this helps, just visit ur nearest immigration office and I'm positive you'l be told the same thing.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by futurewise11(m): 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2013
After scanning in abuja pls how many days were u sent ur passpot?was it upto one month before your your passport was sent to u?

Pls let's know.
Proudlygemini: I also just got married and about to do the change of name, went to the immigration officer that renewed my passport the last time and she told me it can only be done in abuja, even after so much pleas. I'm required to come with my marriage cert, passport photograph,old passport,newspaper publication. Althought the application would be sent from lagos, I have to go to abuja for scaanning and my passport would be sent back. I hope this helps, just visit ur nearest immigration office and I'm positive you'l be told the same thing.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
futurewise11: After scanning in abuja pls how many days were u sent ur passpot?was it upto one month before your your passport was sent to u?

Pls let's know.
please read my post well, I said I'm in d process of doing that. But the officer told me it would take about 4days.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by olaidecash: 5:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
Pls how much did the news paper publication cost u?and where is their office in lagos?
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
olaidecash: Pls how much did the news paper publication cost u?and where is their office in lagos?
it cost me N4500 for the SUN newspaper. I called them and because I live far from their office I was asked to scan my teller,marriage certificate to their email address and not forgetting my details. Payment was made tuesday and it came out on Sunday.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by ashlop(f): 1:29pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hi all, Proudlygemini
Just went there today and the officers said exactly same. But they didn't disclose the price. Pls how much did they tell you that you'll pay for the change of name?
Met with two guys(not officials though) one said 45k and that I wounldn't need to go to abuja and said 70K and I'll need to abuja, I disregarded them sha because I know their type. Pls reply.
Thanks
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by ashlop(f): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hi pls did you have a contact in the SUN, or you got their contact from a website or

Proudlygemini: it cost me N4500 for the SUN newspaper. I called them and because I live far from their office I was asked to scan my teller,marriage certificate to their email address and not forgetting my details. Payment was made tuesday and it came out on Sunday.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
ashlop: Hi pls did you have a contact in the SUN, or you got their contact from a website or

www.sunnewsonline.com or call +2348034263295. Hope this helps.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2013
ashlop: Hi all, Proudlygemini
Just went there today and the officers said exactly same. But they didn't disclose the price. Pls how much did they tell you that you'll pay for the change of name?
Met with two guys(not officials though) one said 45k and that I wounldn't need to go to abuja and said 70K and I'll need to abuja, I disregarded them sha because I know their type. Pls reply.
Thanks

Please do not engage yourself with those touts outside the immigration office, they will only eat your money and leave you hanging. I was there yesterday to submit my documents to an officer and i was told to wait till next week for the approval letter which i would take with me to abuja. NOTE: it cannot be done in lagos. I paid 50k to the officer and should expect my passport in 2 weeks or less. please deal with an immigration officer next time you go
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by justwise(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2013
Proudlygemini: Please do not engage yourself with those touts outside the immigration office, they will only eat your money and leave you hanging. I was there yesterday to submit my documents to an officer and i was told to wait till next week for the approval letter which i would take with me to abuja. NOTE: it cannot be done in lagos. I paid 50k to the officer and should expect my passport in 2 weeks or less. please deal with an immigration officer next time you go

....and you will waste no time dropping the name and phone number of that 'officer'?
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
justwise:

....and you will wast no time dropping the name and phone number of that 'officer'?
please read the messages well mr justwise i did not drop the number of any officer rather i helped with the number of sun newspaper advert department. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by mimi77: 12:31pm On Feb 26, 2013
Proudlygemini: Please do not engage yourself with those touts outside the immigration office, they will only eat your money and leave you hanging. I was there yesterday to submit my documents to an officer and i was told to wait till next week for the approval letter which i would take with me to abuja. NOTE: it cannot be done in lagos. I paid 50k to the officer and should expect my passport in 2 weeks or less. please deal with an immigration officer next time you go

Hi Proudlygemini, pls have you been able to finish your passport name change procedures? kindly give me updates on what happened after the wait for approval letter as stated above. i wish to commence mine by march, but i thought i should rather pass on straight to Abuja. do advise, thanks alot.
cheers!
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 26, 2013
mimi77:

Hi Proudlygemini, pls have you been able to finish your passport name change procedures? kindly give me updates on what happened after the wait for approval letter as stated above. i wish to commence mine by march, but i thought i should rather pass on straight to Abuja. do advise, thanks alot.
cheers!
@mimi77 I got my approval letter last week tuesday and travelled on thursday to abuja, i was referred to an immigration officer over there, it was pretty simple.After waiting a while, my name was called and boimetrics collected. my passport should be out this week. Goodluck with yours.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
it really seem like a very long process especially for those of us that live very far from Abuja.
Please I really need the advice of someone with good knowledge of immigration issues.

Is it advisable for me to just apply for a new passport altogether instead of processing change of name on my old one seeing as my old
passport has not been stamped at all.

Another thing is that I don't know how long the change of name will take , seeing as I will have to go to and fro to Abuja and my interview date is in about two months

Please I really advice on the next best action to take.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by lipsygold: 6:38am On Oct 06, 2014
Please I want to change to my married name on my international passport and the former one has expired.ido I still need to go to abuja to do that or can it be processed in lagos now?I have all the documents I require
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by lipsygold: 6:39am On Oct 06, 2014
Please I want to change to my married name on my international passport and the former one has expired.ido I still need to go to abuja to do that or can it be processed in lagos now?I have all the documents required.
Re: Married And Need To Change Name On International Passport. Pls Advice by yimiton(f): 4:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
lipsygold:
Please I want to change to my married name on my international passport and the former one has expired.ido I still need to go to abuja to do that or can it be processed in lagos now?I have all the documents required.

Did you still have to go to Abuja?

I stay in Lagos and I have all my documents which I have sent to a contact in the immigration office Abuja. The contact requested for 50k and he processed the papers in one day. He called that I could come for capturing about 3 hours after he received the documents and money.

However, my sister just called now and told me that it's no longer necessary to go to Abuja. She said change of name can now be done in Lagos. I wonder if this is true. If you have a contact, please call and let's know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Deports 53 Illegal Immigrants / 10 Things You Can Relate To If You’ve Enter Entered A Keke Napep In Lagos / Interview Questions For Family Reunion Visa Application - My Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.