Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai (18755 Views)

Donald Trump: ''Africans Are Lazy Fools Only Good At Lovemaking And Stealing” / Read El-rufai's Touching Speech After Winning APC Gubernatorial Ticket In Kaduna / Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Proffruleoflaw: 1:55am On Oct 26, 2012
acidtalk: Lazy is an understatement.
They are DEAD intellectually.

In my house I have about 500 Audio CDs and over 1,300 Books (All Original).

I noticed that while my books worth 100 times the price of the Compact disc, People pay more interest in "borrowing" or "fapping" them more than even the Best of the life changing books.

God bless the soul of that woman who said "if you want to hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book". She is damn so correct.

Why are people insulting El-Rufai for saying the truth? Even though me and the mumu no dey gree for twitter (I go soon block am sef). But he is saying the whole truth.

I encouraged some youths 2years back to feel free to come over during weekends to come turn by crib into a "library club", omo, them no gree oh! Instead it was always "brother Acidtalk, please borrow me your Jay Z cd. Or Bros, do you have have the latest Cold Play album?".

You are so on point. Have you seen dem half witted dudes on Nairaland always making stupid and illogical assertions. The downward trend in our education is most obvious in many of the comments I read here. Can you imagine, many youths can't even think for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Truckpusher(m): 2:08am On Oct 26, 2012
Proffruleoflaw:

You are so on point. Have you seen dem half witted dudes on Nairaland always making stupid and illogical assertions. The downward trend in our education is most obvious in many of the comments I read here. Can you imagine, many youths can't even think for themselves.
You can only give what you were given.Anything extraordinary can only be achieved through a lot of factors coming into play...And if i may ask you, how many of your country's research institute is up and running? as in well funded with access to modern facility to carry out researches?...probably you don't know,that brings it to the conclusion by the mallam that you guys are quick to judge without taking into consideration the numerous factors affecting whatever you are judging.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Proffruleoflaw: 2:11am On Oct 26, 2012
Dlyna: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
How did we youths get to the stage of not reading anymore?
Are our schools of same quality as the ones our parents attended?
What's the benefit of reading so much for what we are not given any opportunity to apply?
How much are how professors, lecturers,teachers, who are suppose to impact this knowlege earning?
The people that are supposed to impact this reading culture into children at their tender age are not encouraged to do so, because being a teacher is no more honourable.
We have the 'thieving' politicians to look up to now.
So what do we expect?
Comparing a country that intellect is not appreciated to one that values it.

Abeggi make we hear word for una and 'there's sense in what he's saying'.

Will one read on empty stomach?
Ordinary food is luxury in this country and you are expecting youths to read.
Where will the money for the books come from?
After hustling in the day to make ends meet you expect them to carry book to read.

Sounds very convincing but still doesn't excuse the youths from failing to search for knowledge. Hunger is even a good reason to want to search for knowledge to end it.

The other major problem is, those that have acquired knowledge turn it into a weapon against the majority who are uninformed or misinformed further pushing them down.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Bamz(m): 2:18am On Oct 26, 2012
salam001: So true,then later they become musicians

LOL why do I find this funny? True perphaps. Hehe
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Proffruleoflaw: 2:21am On Oct 26, 2012
Truckpusher: You can only give what you were given.Anything extraordinary can only be achieved through a lot of factors coming into play...And if i may ask you, how of your country's research institute is up and running ,as in well funded with access to modern facility to carry out researches?...probably you don't know,that brings it to the conclusion by the mallam that you guys are quick to judge without taking into consideration the numerous factors affecting whatever you are judging.

You have made some fantastic points. Nice, right?
So when you say judging what exactly are you saying? Quick to blame the youth? Ok let's blame the whole society. Does that change the facts of this matter. The youths have knowingly and unwittingly allowed themselves to be blinded by a desire for quick wealth. Yes, blame the society for that but aboki will still be on point.

If you read between the line, mallam wasn't talking about studying and all that. It's just a matter of deciphering the TRUTH from the LIE when you read. You can see it all over Nairaland. Every tom etc passing judgement on a matter they have not thought deeply about. There's always an already formed opinion without looking @ a matter critically.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by bigtt76(f): 2:24am On Oct 26, 2012
Hmmm ...you sure say no bi babes you been de invite? grin grin grin grin

acidtalk: Lazy is an understatement.
They are DEAD intellectually.

In my house I have about 500 Audio CDs and over 1,300 Books (All Original).

I noticed that while my books worth 100 times the price of the Compact disc, People pay more interest in "borrowing" or "fapping" them more than even the Best of the life changing books.

God bless the soul of that woman who said "if you want to hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book". She is damn so correct.

Why are people insulting El-Rufai for saying the truth? Even though me and the mumu no dey gree for twitter (I go soon block am sef). But he is saying the whole truth.

I encouraged some youths 2years back to feel free to come over during weekends to come turn by crib into a "library club", omo, them no gree oh! Instead it was always "brother Acidtalk, please borrow me your Jay Z cd. Or Bros, do you have have the latest Cold Play album?".

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by bigtt76(f): 2:32am On Oct 26, 2012
Guys make una no worry una head ....he's probably referring to the over 111,683 Followers 'Lazy youths' on Twitter who instead of being constructive keep doing 'follow-follow' re-pasting (retweeting) stale news begging people to 'follow' them back if they follow you vice versa .....I mean like seriously WTF. Same goes to the bloggers who want people to click their links all to 'drive traffic' to their F****king sites or thread. As usual WAKA PASS!
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Egbagirl(f): 2:36am On Oct 26, 2012
Sky-walker:
Stupid man talking. Are Nigerians not one of the most hard working people around.WTF is wrong with this bastards who steal money and believe everybody is below them?

they might be hardworking but many people dont read books. SIMPLE. it's not just nigerians. call me silly but many black people in general (HUGE generalisation btw) dont read. "If you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book" stereotypical but stereotypes are sometimes true to an extent.

To be fair however, the world is shifting from reading books to reading blogs, etc so hey I dont blame them but there is still something about reading books that cannot be replaced.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Truckpusher(m): 3:05am On Oct 26, 2012
Proffruleoflaw:

You have made some fantastic points. Nice, right?
So when you say judging what exactly are you saying? Quick to blame the youth? Ok let's blame the whole society. Does that change the facts of this matter. The youths have knowingly and unwittingly allowed themselves to be blinded by a desire for quick wealth. Yes, blame the society for that but aboki will still be on point.

If you read between the line, mallam wasn't talking about studying and all that. It's just a matter of deciphering the TRUTH from the LIE when you read. You can see it all over Nairaland. Every tom etc passing judgement on a matter they have not thought deeply about. There's always an already formed opinion without looking @ a matter critically.
I know that he wasn't talking abt studying and all that stuff,but i find it rather insulting to the Nigerian youth that people like mallam that shrouded everything in secrecy when he was the former Director General of The Bureau of Public Enterprises, the head privatisation agency in Nigeria and FCT minister during the then obasanjo's corrupt and inept leadership, would now turn around wanting all their home-made/hand-made zombies to become the three wise men overnight.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by patrickmuf(m): 3:08am On Oct 26, 2012
So, if we start reading will you people stop stealing our money? Carry your pikin keep 4 yankee come here dey advice youths...One day God go seize your life as you seize people land

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 26, 2012
atbu1983: what el rufai said is mostly true. Majority of educated nigeria youths dont read or even listen to news. Most of us only watch movie, read movie, watch football, d girls channel E. We are just entertainment crazy. When it comes to serious tins like news.. CNN, BBC, CNC, CCTVnews, docummentar, etc very very very few among us youth pay attention. Most of us are educated but uninformed and as a result, most of us are deformed.

I'm not doubting him. He's not the person to say this kind of thing though. He's a social media junky. He tweets nonstop and is on Facebook nonstop. Why? He knows fully well if he made this statement on television or in an interview with a newspaper, the youths wouldn't hear it. Anyway, he's part of the problem. His age mates destroyed the nation and want youths to be how exactly? You can't burn a building and expect people to emerge without smoke.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by dasparrow: 4:01am On Oct 26, 2012
@Post

El-Rufai sure loves twitter to keep him relevant. Anyways, he is right. Most Nigerian youths of nowadays are into blackberry, text speak, can barely construct a one line grammatically correct sentence in English and are half baked literates. Look at the number of Nairalanders that can't even string together a coherent sentence. If it is to keep talking about relationships and practicing tribalism, then you will see the youths in action. Abeg, make we leave matter!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by nosagold(m): 4:19am On Oct 26, 2012
This man is always trying Ť☺ βξ on †ђξ news, he should juz go nd drink garri if he has nofin sensible Ť☺ say......insulting nigerian youths on a social netwrk, later he wil expect this same nigerian youths Ť☺ vote 4 him during election
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by billynoni(m): 5:03am On Oct 26, 2012
undecided
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by savio1: 5:16am On Oct 26, 2012
atbu1983: i am from edo state. Did my NySc in the North East. From my observation, we have alot of educated illiterates in the south. Many people go to school, thier mind and soul not educated. While in d North, very few go to school. But those few are better educated wen compared to those of us from d south. For us in d south, going to schoool is a culture, so most of us dont really know why we are going to school. But in d North, going to school is more of a decision. So northerners who went to school are more informed.
billynoni: undecided
I totally agree with U, & they are quite intelligent as well
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by honeypie143: 5:17am On Oct 26, 2012
berem: So what does he want me to do? I should go back to Nursery school abi I should go and hug that hungry Lion at Benue Zoo?
grin
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by AbdulFattah(m): 5:30am On Oct 26, 2012
NO LINKS!
NO QUOTES!!
OBVIOUSLY A TYPICAL BIASED JOURNALISM!!!NO LINKS!
NO QUOTES!!
OBVIOUSLY A TYPICAL BIASED JOURNALISM!!!
NO LINKS!
NO QUOTES!!
OBVIOUSLY A TYPICAL BIASED JOURNALISM!!!
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Ramcie(f): 5:44am On Oct 26, 2012
Princeojua: he said it because his Son had 8 f9 in Waec this year. We live in Maitana together
Wow ! are you sure you are not the one with 8 F9's cos you obviously can't even spell where you "claim" you live undecided undecided let's see your WAEC result dude

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by AJpikin: 6:01am On Oct 26, 2012
stop insulting d man he is saying the truth. When most of u have timaya n d banj as ur role model how can anytin good come out of nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by caesaraba(m): 6:24am On Oct 26, 2012
Oh yes! Blame OBJ and the rest (down to Queen Elizabeth) for our poor reading culture. The mallam however, has made sense with this statement. You read books that you hope would improve your life, your peers start calling you "old school". You make it a point of following the news everyday, "old school!"

A bad society, economy doesn't generally 'delete' the reading culture of a people. Instead, it is often an inspiration to explore (reading included).

When someone is a graduate (even if na Arabic u graduate from) and can't construct a simple sentence without making a gigantic grammatical error, who is to blame here? Queen Elizabeth?

Abeg, it's high-time we as youths start taking responsibility for our lives and actions instead of the routine buck-pushing we are getting ourselves so used to doing.

"Kelechi, why u no wake up on time?"...."mama na bad government cause am"

"Now u don come miss dat interview"......."kai oooo. God I hate this governemt"

Everyone else has a fault except our perky little selves. No try improve yourself o..... dem say el-rufai don insult our youths, make we enter nairaland siddon dy insult d mallam. You wan work for Shell, wetin u wan go write/speak for the interview? shei na "xup," "xo" and all the other social media short-hand wey don replace all the written English wey we sabi?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by PaKen: 6:29am On Oct 26, 2012
Let those who have ears, let them hear
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 26, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by tribalism(m): 6:48am On Oct 26, 2012
Chubhie: There is an element of truth in what the mallam is saying. Most youths only read to pass exams.
The situation in Nigeria is such that an average student has a million thing to bother about and so use the least saved time just to pass exams. A typical example: a student who has to cook beans all the time using hot plate has not got time as a friend since he now depends on PHCN (sure you can guess what becomes of such student). He could be in the class reading but not studying as his mind will always think of when light will be restored so could go cook and he gets the chance, it takes nearly five hours to complete as voltage supply usually is very low. As such could be hungry for a greater part of the daily 24 hours. A lot of other distractions .......... name them ..........
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 26, 2012
Egba girl:

they might be hardworking but many people dont read books. SIMPLE. it's not just nigerians. call me silly but many black people in general (HUGE generalisation btw) dont read. "If you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book" stereotypical but stereotypes are sometimes true to an extent.

To be fair however, the world is shifting from reading books to reading blogs, etc so hey I dont blame them but there is still something about reading books that cannot be replaced.
i agree with u to a very large extent. Sometime this year, i was in train from scotland to london about 6hrs journey. I noticed that more than half of d white (teaneagers,youth, middle age and old folks) folks weRe reading one book or another. While me (with bsc, msc, currently thinking of PhD) was pinging,facebooking,chatting almost thru out d journey. Ever since i have been reflecting on it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 26, 2012
tribalism:
The situation in Nigeria is such that an average student has a million thing to bother about and so use the least saved time just to pass exams. A typical example: a student who has to cook beans all the time using hot plate has not got time as a friend since he now depends on PHCN (sure you can guess what becomes of such student). He could be in the class reading but not studying as his mind will always think of when light will be restored so could go cook and he gets the chance, it takes nearly five hours to complete as voltage supply usually is very low. As such could be hungry for a greater part of the daily 24 hours. A lot of other distractions .......... name them ..........
. Story dat touch. Dis are flimsy excuse.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 26, 2012
caesaraba: Oh yes! Blame OBJ and the rest (down to Queen Elizabeth) for our poor reading culture. The mallam however, has made sense with this statement. You read books that you hope would improve your life, your peers start calling you "old school". You make it a point of following the news everyday, "old school!"

A bad society, economy doesn't generally 'delete' the reading culture of a people. Instead, it is often an inspiration to explore (reading included).

When someone is a graduate (even if na Arabic u graduate from) and can't construct a simple sentence without making a gigantic grammatical error, who is to blame here? Queen Elizabeth?

Abeg, it's high-time we as youths start taking responsibility for our lives and actions instead of the routine buck-pushing we are getting ourselves so used to doing.

"Kelechi, why u no wake up on time?"...."mama na bad government cause am"

"Now u don come miss dat interview"......."kai oooo. God I hate this governemt"

Everyone else has a fault except our perky little selves. No try improve yourself o..... dem say el-rufai don insult our youths, make we enter nairaland siddon dy insult d mallam. You wan work for Shell, wetin u wan go write/speak for the interview? shei na "xup," "xo" and all the other social media short-hand wey don replace all the written English wey we sabi?
well said and well constructed. On point
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 26, 2012
nosa gold: This man is always trying Ť☺ βξ on †ђξ news, he should juz go nd drink garri if he has nofin sensible Ť☺ say......insulting nigerian youths on a social netwrk, later he wil expect this same nigerian youths Ť☺ vote 4 him during election
we d nigerian youth deserve d insult. How many nigerian younths watch CNN,BBC,CCTVnews,CNC newsN for at least one hour evryday in thier dstv? D only tin most of us watch is - d girls african magic, those who claim they are civilised (actually very dumb set) .. Channel E..kim kardashan and chloe. The boys mtv, mtv base, trace, soundcity, suppersport and other junk strictly entertainment stations. With this life style, how can will ever evolve and progree?.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2012
AK Money: B4 nko? Why I go dey waste time dey read wen most senators and governors didn't read to get there. How much I go pay to get my certificate from University of toronto or better still lead city grin.
How many books dis mallam self read People wey read am yesterday still dey serve government with grey hair and collecting pennies. So WTF do we read for self? How many book zuckerberg, bill gates, pasuma, MJ, OBJ, whizkid, OBO, just to mention few, read b4 making dere money grin

Walahi I don tire to dey read book, na naira and dollar me wan dey read jare. Next pls
undecided
please dont ever add bill gates and zuckerberg to ur list. Have studied them. They both scored 1590 out 1600 in SAT in order to get admission to havard. Check thier high school records, they were among d top. Do u know how much studies and research bill gates did in order to come out microsofts and windows? Zuckerberg was already very good in programming before he finish high school. Ask people who does programming, it takes alot of hardwork to learn how to program. Zuckerberg got to where he is today because of d effort he put into programming and certifications as a youth. Facebook was not his idea. But d idea came from his friends who could not program. He took d idea, i worked very hard to bring it into reality. Bill gate and zuckerberg were A students.they left school in order to concentrate and do alot of studiies related to thier discovered idea. And till today they are still studying and reading. They didnt leave school because they were lazy like me and u. Did u see who zuckerberg married, a chinese american ( a medical doctor). Despite his billions, he did a very quiet cheap wedding. It takes deep thinkers to bhave like him. Not shallow thinkers like us who would have closed down d whole lagos state in our wedding assuming we have his level of wealth
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by oladayo042: 7:39am On Oct 26, 2012
El-Rufai may be stating the obvious here. I've lost count of the number of times I have seen "this article is too long" on NL even when the said article is less than 700 words. He may be right with the 'they don't read' part but he's gonna have to explain the 'they are lazy' bit.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by acidtalk: 7:43am On Oct 26, 2012
bigtt76: Hmmm ...you sure say no bi babes you been de invite? grin grin grin grin

Both!!!
You go come?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Akposkool(m): 7:43am On Oct 26, 2012
acidtalk:

With myopic mindsets and sentimental emotions like yours, I doubt if Nigeria will ever attain greatness.

Believe it or not, The Northern part of Nigeria produces the best Architects and Engineers in Nigeria who are doing Nigeria Proud.

The Medical end as well is highly being dragged by the SouthWesthern and Northern students.

So think well before commenting. The Average Educated Northernern is highly educated and 'brillaint'
says who?you dumb ass!all the northerners do is to bribe their way 2 d top.take a southern kid 2 ur north and he will topple all ur malams in academics.ur retarded freak!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by rusher14: 7:44am On Oct 26, 2012
vislabraye:

You agree she was also refering to you right?
People around the world are fighting hard against stereotypes and you are upholding this nothion.

If you choose to see the wrong about your race or country, that's left for you.
When someone you are quarreling with says your mouth smells, do you :
A) simply reply by saying his isn't better
B) give a quick repartee but find out if your mouth actually smells then look for a solution
C) go home to cry
Answers welcomed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FFK Congratulates Ahmed Lawan As He Becomes 9th Assembly Senate President / Raid On Igboho’s Residence: FG To Appeal N20bn Court Judgment – Malami / Buhari In Group Photo With African Leaders In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.