Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai (18749 Views)

Donald Trump: ''Africans Are Lazy Fools Only Good At Lovemaking And Stealing” / Read El-rufai's Touching Speech After Winning APC Gubernatorial Ticket In Kaduna / Read El-Rufai's Brilliant Take Down Of Gej's Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by zeal500: 7:45am On Oct 26, 2012
Charles. E:
Amazingly, the controversial pint sized former minister of the FCT and now chieftain of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Malam Nasir Elrufai, has accused Nigerian youths of being lazy and quick to judge.

Elrufai made the accusation today on the Social networking site, Twitter (see twits below)

Elrufai was apparently reacting to the youths who regularly accuse him of corruption and high handedness when he was in office. Elrufai is currently facing a corruption charge at an Abuja court bordering on the lands he seized from legitimate owners and reallocated to friends and his wives and Underaged son.

Amazingly the same Elrufai who is so sensitive to criticism regularly insults the person of the President of Nigeria on his facebook and twitter profile, using foul words to describe President Jonathan.

I simply dont agree....Mallam, where did u get ur figures?
Question for u Mallam, in d entire black society/race where do u think we as nigerians are placed? Comparing us and the blacks in America who do u think wud or is going better outside government inabilities (which of cours u r part of)
i challenge u wt this following question(s)

It may be recalled that Elrufai had asked Nigerians not to vote for Muhammadu Buhari in October of 2010 alleging that Buhari was too old to be president and that he was primordial having chosen his military vice, Tunde Idiagbon, from the same region (North) as himself. However, just two months after making that statement, Elrufai became one of Buhari's chief campaigners asking Nigerians to vote for the man he had condemned only weeks ago!
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 26, 2012
Egba girl:

they might be hardworking but many people dont read books. SIMPLE. it's not just nigerians. call me silly but many black people in general (HUGE generalisation btw) dont read. "If you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book" stereotypical but stereotypes are sometimes true to an extent.

To be fair however, the world is shifting from reading books to reading blogs, etc so hey I dont blame them but there is still something about reading books that cannot be replaced.

IF many blacks don't read don't you think there's a problem?
Don't you think their is a reason?
Instead of us to fight for prevention and control of a disease we are fighting for a cure.

Adolf Hitler, williams wilberforce, Abraham lincoln are leaders that fought most wars with word.
They were voracious readers.
People respected them for that and tried to emulate them by reading.
Which one of our leaders do we look up to now because of their reading spirit.
They get into office via corrupt practices. Most of them have nothing upstairs but yet drive the best cars and live luxury filled lives.
We have grown up to start doubting if education is truly the key to success.

Africa as a whole has a huge proplem, and that problem is bad leaders fix that problem and more than half our problem is solved.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by bonetalk(m): 8:06am On Oct 26, 2012
salam001: I thought you wanted to say Garri
lol, trouble-maker
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by ektbear: 8:08am On Oct 26, 2012
Twitter, Facebook and social media have been the downfall of many youths, who posted or said things on such sites that they'd later regret.

Evidently social media might be the downfall of El Rufai as well.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Hunkyimage(m): 8:12am On Oct 26, 2012
dridowu: Who is El-Rufai ?

What iz El-Rufai? embarassed
dridowu: Who is El-Rufai ?

What iz El-Rufai?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by duni04(m): 8:15am On Oct 26, 2012
Charles. E:
Amazingly, the controversial pint sized former minister of the FCT and now chieftain of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Malam Nasir Elrufai, has accused Nigerian youths of being lazy and quick to judge.

Elrufai made the accusation today on the Social networking site, Twitter (see twits below)

Elrufai was apparently reacting to the youths who regularly accuse him of corruption and high handedness when he was in office. Elrufai is currently facing a corruption charge at an Abuja court bordering on the lands he seized from legitimate owners and reallocated to friends and his wives and Underaged son.

Amazingly the same Elrufai who is so sensitive to criticism regularly insults the person of the President of Nigeria on his facebook and twitter profile, using foul words to describe President Jonathan.

It may be recalled that Elrufai had asked Nigerians not to vote for Muhammadu Buhari in October of 2010 alleging that Buhari was too old to be president and that he was primordial having chosen his military vice, Tunde Idiagbon, from the same region (North) as himself. However, just two months after making that statement, Elrufai became one of Buhari's chief campaigners asking Nigerians to vote for the man he had condemned only weeks ago!
Totally agree! The likes of abiL and shollypopz have never opened books before and always find it difficult to construct sentences without throwing bombs. Shame on our youth! So many Illiterate young people out there, its just shameful.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by guvnor78: 8:16am On Oct 26, 2012
Fun that he should.make a silly statement like this . But excuse me sir the same nigerian youth you so describe goes abroad and becomes among the best in his classes .Can you please enlighten us why?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 26, 2012
AJpikin: stop insulting d man he is saying the truth. When most of u have timaya n d banj as ur role model how can anytin good come out of nigeria.

That d'banj and Timaya have made more money than you'll ever dream of. Why aint our professors, teachers, and writers so rich and respected.
You think they are good for nothing abi? Because they are musicians. If you don't know those guys that look like nothing good to you have made some westerners not to think that we are all cave men in this country.

What's your own contribution to this country with all the books you have read?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by nosagold(m): 8:17am On Oct 26, 2012
atbu1983: we d nigerian youth deserve d insult. How many nigerian younths watch CNN,BBC,CCTVnews,CNC newsN for at least one hour evryday in thier dstv? D only tin most of us watch is - d girls african magic, those who claim they are civilised (actually very dumb set) .. Channel E..kim kardashan and chloe. The boys mtv, mtv base, trace, soundcity, suppersport and other junk strictly entertainment stations. With this life style, how can will ever evolve and progree?.

If U̶̲̥̅̊ as a nigerian youth deserves this insult from this aboki then that's ur own p,

Btw, must I watch bbc, cnn, aljazira,cctv news 24/7 b4 I become an intelligent nigerian youth? So I shouldn't watch mtv base, trace, sound city, ninja warrior, formular 1, chelsea vs man utd on sunday? Kai! Bros if na joke mske U̶̲̥̅̊ stop A̶̲̥̅♏ na
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by duni04(m): 8:18am On Oct 26, 2012
Dlyna:

That d'banj and Timaya have made more money than you'll ever dream of. Why aint our professors, teachers, and writers so rich and respected.
You think they are good for nothing abi? Because they are musicians. If you don't know those guys that look like nothing good to you have made some westerners not to think that we are all cave men in this country.

LOL..comparing d'banj and Timaya with professors and writers? Is this how our young people think? OMG! We're in serious trouble! shocked
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by tosinajeyahoocom: 8:34am On Oct 26, 2012
yeah i think we had same thought but different solutions, I am strongly believe that its only when we team up to eliminate the presents leaders, then we can enjoy this country.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by clemz85(m): 8:50am On Oct 26, 2012
abeg sm1 wake da man
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 26, 2012
duni04:
LOL..comparing d'banj and Timaya with professors and writers? Is this how our young people think? OMG! We're in serious trouble! shocked

I'm comparing them because these are the people our country celebrates.
That's why the youths look up to them as role models.
Mister your country as a whole has a problem not just young people.

We are not even in trouble yet just wait.
In the school I served, they have only one computer for the whole school. Most of their teachers are school cert holders.
They can't even afford to buy books and you guys are talking about reading.
Imagine what will happen if this is the type of education our next generation are exposed to??.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by newmaonza: 8:56am On Oct 26, 2012
duni04:

coolD'banj and Timaya are more hard-working and have better Chances of being World best than our Professors and Writers...... "THEY ALSO DON'T DENY WHERE THEY CAME FROM",,,, Personally they are better ROLE MODELS than ALL Professors at the UNILAG, LASU , MAUL et al grin
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 26, 2012
grin
acidtalk: Lazy is an understatement.
They are DEAD intellectually.

In my house I have about 500 Audio CDs and over 1,300 Books (All Original).

I noticed that while my books worth 100 times the price of the Compact disc, People pay more interest in "borrowing" or "fapping" them more than even the Best of the life changing books.

God bless the soul of that woman who said "if you want to hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book". She is damn so correct.

Why are people insulting El-Rufai for saying the truth? Even though me and the mumu no dey gree for twitter (I go soon block am sef). But he is saying the whole truth.

I encouraged some youths 2years back to feel free to come over during weekends to come turn by crib into a "library club", omo, them no gree oh! Instead it was always "brother Acidtalk, please borrow me your Jay Z cd. Or Bros, do you have have the latest Cold Play album?".

Lol! Mr Acid I can relate to that
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by acidtalk: 9:00am On Oct 26, 2012
new maonza:

coolD'banj and Timaya are more hard-working and have better Chances of being World best than our Professors and Writers...... "THEY ALSO DON'T DENY WHERE THEY CAME FROM",,,, Personally they are better ROLE MODELS than ALL Professors at the UNILAG, LASU , MAUL et al grin

Don't be silly.
From you first line I knew you lacked wisdom and good reasoning.

You people think Money alone and temporary fame are sign of success.

So because Jay Z is richer than Eistein or Kanye West richer than Luis Armstrong does it make them better role models? You are damn pathetic.

You are amongst the youths El-Rufai was talking about

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 26, 2012
Dlyna: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
How did we youths get to the stage of not reading anymore?
Are our schools of same quality as the ones our parents attended?
What's the benefit of reading so much for what we are not given any opportunity to apply?
How much are how professors, lecturers,teachers, who are suppose to impact this knowlege earning?
The people that are supposed to impact this reading culture into children at their tender age are not encouraged to do so, because being a teacher is no more honourable.
We have the 'thieving' politicians to look up to now.
So what do we expect?
Comparing a country that intellect is not appreciated to one that values it.

Abeggi make we hear word for una and 'there's sense in what he's saying'.

Will one read on empty stomach?
Ordinary food is luxury in this country and you are expecting youths to read.
Where will the money for the books come from?
After hustling in the day to make ends meet you expect them to carry book to read.

Truer words have never been said.

But I also think this isn't a peculiar Nigerian problem, most youths anywhere in the world simply do not read!
And by reading, I mean the conscious and deliberate act of reading serious literature to expand and grow your mind, not just blogs and media propaganda but acquiring that liberal education no one else can give you.
The Harry Potter series was praised for sparking a reading revolution among children in the west, unfortunately that was short lived.
Most people would rather vegetate in front of their TV screens watching other people spoon feed them on the latest goings on in the world than to pick a gem of a book such as the federalist papers and discover for themselves the origins set forth by the founding fathers of that great modern civilization called the new world.
WHy? because the latter is more difficult and abstruse, but ultimately gratifying! And human beings by nature are wired to tread the well worn path of least resistance.
Besides, like Dylna said, in our context, it is quite a thing and most people in this part of the world simply can't afford.
But if by chance, we can fortuitously build a sustainable economic base in Nigeria that can usher majority into the middle class, then maybe and maybe it would be plausible to expect more youths to join that cultured class of serious readers, but for now, all bets are off!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 26, 2012
nosa gold:

If U̶̲̥̅̊ as a nigerian youth deserves this insult from this aboki then that's ur own p,

Btw, must I watch bbc, cnn, aljazira,cctv news 24/7 b4 I become an intelligent nigerian youth? So I shouldn't watch mtv base, trace, sound city, ninja warrior, formular 1, chelsea vs man utd on sunday? Kai! Bros if na joke mske U̶̲̥̅̊ stop A̶̲̥̅♏ na
my point is most naija youth cant even watch news for 30mins a day.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2012
Horayce:

Truer words have never been said.

But I also think this isn't a peculiar Nigerian problem, most youths anywhere in the world simply do not read!
And by reading, I mean the conscious and deliberate act of reading serious literature to expand and grow your mind, not just blogs and media propaganda but acquiring that liberal education no one else can give you.
The Harry Potter series was praised for sparking a reading revolution among children in the west, unfortunately that was short lived.
Most people would rather vegetate in front of their TV screens watching other people spoon feed them on the latest goings on in the world than to pick a gem of a book such as the federalist papers and discover for themselves the origins set forth by the founding fathers of that great modern civilization called the new world.
WHy? because the latter is more difficult and abstruse, but ultimately gratifying! And human beings by nature are wired to thread the well worn path of least resistance.
Besides, like Dylna said, in our context, it is quite a thing and most people in this part of the world simply can't afford.
But if by chance, we can fortuitously build a sustainable economic base in Nigeria that can usher in majority into the middle class, then maybe and maybe it would be plausible to expect more youths to join that cultured class of serious readers, but for now, all bets are off!.

You are definitely among d few nigerian youths who are well evolved. A good write up
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by nosagold(m): 9:14am On Oct 26, 2012
atbu1983: my point is most naija youth cant even watch news for 30mins a day.

Yea, was kidding bro, U̶̲̥̅̊ r right bout that
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 26, 2012
new maonza:

it is not about being a professor. I was once an assistant to a professor. Many nigeria professor dont even read. Dbanj and timaya are success in thier field and we shd be proud of them. But evry youth must not be a musician,actor,actress,gulder ultimate search winner etc.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by dammyking1(m): 9:16am On Oct 26, 2012
acidtalk: Lazy is an understatement.
They are DEAD intellectually.

In my house I have about 500 Audio CDs and over 1,300 Books (All Original).

I noticed that while my books worth 100 times the price of the Compact disc, People pay more interest in "borrowing" or "fapping" them more than even the Best of the life changing books.

God bless the soul of that woman who said "if you want to hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book". She is damn so correct.

Why are people insulting El-Rufai for saying the truth? Even though me and the mumu no dey gree for twitter (I go soon block am sef). But he is saying the whole truth.

I encouraged some youths 2years back to feel free to come over during weekends to come turn by crib into a "library club", omo, them no gree oh! Instead it was always "brother Acidtalk, please borrow me your Jay Z cd. Or Bros, do you have have the latest Cold Play album?".

U r encouragin dis youths 2 read witout a guarantee!! Or r u d 1 dat will employ dem in future.if readin is ur definition of hardworkin den we ve a problem cause youths ve lost hope in education. Just look @ d rate of unemployment nd u r stil tellin pple 2 go nd read wen a mad numba of pple who read r walkin in acute hunger on d streets. I tink we shud encourage dem 2 ve a handwork or learn a trade cause indeed d educational system has failed us.nd again just because dy don't read dosent mak dem lazy. Nigerian youths r very hard workin pple.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by pass4life(m): 9:27am On Oct 26, 2012
Look guys, whatever the man said is the truth.

Most of us youths don't read and this is as a result of the kind of school system we find ourselves. A system where you cram to pass and go for the certificate alone. Rather than learn to know and be ready for tomorrow.

With this, most youth have developed a belief that life operates on a quick fix or short cut to the top. Whereas life operates on principles of success.

Also the man that is saying that youths don't read and are lazy should not forget that he and others of his type contributed to making the youths belive that entring into politics is a way to make fast cash by looting public fund.

So sir, before you point a finger at the youths, remember that 3 fingers are pointing at you too.
Telling you to that you are three times the cause of why they the youths are lazy.

And as for we youths, lets try and get some sense out of nonsense. And remember that the change we are seeking starts form WITHIN.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by kinguwem: 9:33am On Oct 26, 2012
El-Rufai's statement is disappointing. Nigerian youths are not well exposed because their upbringing is poor. Until recently, electricity supply was erratic. There are no scholarship schemes for indigent students. Public schools are in a state of desrepair. A lot of youths are homeless courtesy of his demolition policy.
What El-Rufai should do is to motivate the youths. He should sacrifice some of his personnal comfort to develop them.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by seunfly: 9:36am On Oct 26, 2012
Sky-walker:
Stupid man talking. Are Nigerians not one of the most hard working people around.WTF is wrong with this bastards who steal money and believe everybody is below them?

Nigerians are hard working when they are not in Nigeria, but if they are in Nigeria you have to compel them if not, the thing they care about is how to get money by all means.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by seunfly: 10:15am On Oct 26, 2012
Dlyna:

I guess you are one of the youth he is talking about.

(1) just because you see dbanj and timaya on tv and publicity which part of their marketing strategy make them the best Nigeria can produce over professors, another intelectual laziness.
Can you please name 3 american professor now and name 3 american artist.
(2) just because dbanj and timaya have money so they are better than the professors and others another sign of wrong mindset and lack of inteligence.
Money is not everything my dear can you tell me how rich is wole soyinka, darwin, albert, ben carson, newton and others that contribute to sustainability of live.
Unfotunatly u are using their work yet u think they are valules
(3) don't you know that the more you read the better you are, infact you will not be making this kind of argument if you are informed, and you can only get that trough research and deep reading.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by hugafella(m): 11:07am On Oct 26, 2012
I think he is referring to northern youth.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by fujirice: 11:26am On Oct 26, 2012
I'm guilty as charged bt I'm NOT lazy! Come 2 think of it sef, r they nt d ones dat messed up d system n now he'z cryin' wolf cz nemesis z catchin' up wit him?
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 26, 2012
seunfly:

I guess you are one of the youth he is talking about.

(1) just because you see dbanj and timaya on tv and publicity which part of their marketing strategy make them the best Nigeria can produce over professors, another intelectual laziness.
Can you please name 3 american professor now and name 3 american artist.
(2) just because dbanj and timaya have money so they are better than the professors and others another sign of wrong mindset and lack of inteligence.
Money is not everything my dear can you tell me how rich is wole soyinka, darwin, albert, ben carson, newton and others that contribute to sustainability of live.
Unfotunatly u are using their work yet u think they are valules
(3) don't you know that the more you read the better you are, infact you will not be making this kind of argument if you are informed, and you can only get that trough research and deep reading.

Please let's be straight, I'm 100% in support of people reading.
I can talk about places I haven't been to, and learn from people I've never met through reading.
I believe reading not only broadens your imagination and exposes you, it also helps ones vocabulary.
So please don't get me wrong I'm all for reading.

My argument is WHY Nigerian youths are not reading.
You don't argue things based on your own life alone.
I don't need anyone to ask me to read.

What about those that can't afford to buy these books?
And those that do not have access to internet.
Its not all about you nor I.
I've learnt not judge people so easily if you have never been in their shoes.

Do you know how much Gifted Hands is sold?
They do not even need to buy these musicians tape.
Remember that the average Nigerian lives below $1 per day.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by lioncoolst(m): 12:30pm On Oct 26, 2012
coolSome of the replies that I see here are flawed with errors and simple grammatical misconstructions. Many of these young folks find it hard to express themselves in English language. Notwithstanding, they want to defend what cannot be defended.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Felzzz: 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2012
acidtalk: I have never bought books in soft copies. I only have them in Hard copy and Audio Cd. But if I know your interest of reading I could recommend some books for you and send you links of where to download them from.

Well mine is finance, investment and management. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Youths Are Lazy And Don't Read - El-Rufai by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Twitter, Facebook and social media have been the downfall of many youths, who posted or said things on such sites that they'd later regret.

Evidently social media might be the downfall of El Rufai as well.

youths ke - who was that prick flashing congressman from last year

twitter is like tattoos - permanent proof of temporary insanity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dimeji Bankole Kicked Out Of Ogun Governorship Race 24hrs To Primary / PDP Reacts To The Arrest Of Iniobong Essien, Akwa Ibom State Commissioner / Diezani Was Not Arrested, Only Invited, Says Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.