Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

What Is Wrong With A Parable? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With A Parable? (2290 Views)

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? / [~A Beautiful Reminder]~a Parable: "Twins In The Womb A Lesson In The Hereafter" / Flight 777: A Parable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 5:08pm On Oct 25, 2012
not the thread opening fella but ithink there's a need to talk on this since the value of parables seems to be going down in the market. So, is a parable useless or falsehood?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 1:05am On Oct 26, 2012
i've seen a lot of folks look down on some part of scripture, saying, that's just a parable? Is a parable useless, is a parable untrue?
Jesus is said to be the Truth, and full of grace and truth(John 1v14,17). Is it then possible that He told lies in His parables? Jesus was known for many parables. He often spoke in parables. I look at ALL the parables of Jesus, and i find nothing out of the ordinary in them. By that, i mean there is nothing fantastic or impossible in them. All His parables are things that can happen regularly, repeatedly, and in any given part of the world or age. But i find it a big surprise that the story of the rich man and lazarus is often thought if as impossible. I strongly believe that everything Jesus said in parable must have happened somewhere sometime. This is a strong possibility. i hold this position for different reasons but i will mention two. First reason being that Jesus will not lie. if He says a certain man or a certain woman, or verily, i believe it happened. Secondly, i see preachers and teachers who are vastly experienced, who give instances and stories to illustrate and teach a point/truth/lesson. How much more Jesus who has all knowledge and knows all things, to be able to bring out the story of an event that happened.
What do you guys think of Jesus' parables?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 26, 2012
A parable doesnt have to be real. Parables are mostly stories used to explain a point.

Anyway, you are free to believe that all Jesus's parables happened in real life. Afterall, you believe in the lies of the virgin birth and ressurection.

Magic
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2012
Logicboy03:

A parable doesnt have to be real. Parables are mostly stories used to explain a point.

Anyway, you are free to believe that all Jesus's parables happened in real life. Afterall, you believe in the lies of the virgin birth and ressurection.

Magic
What do you then think of Jesus' parables?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 26, 2012
Image123:
What do you then think of Jesus' parables?

I'm an atheist but the good Samaritan was EPIC. That was a good story. Unfortunately, the good Samaritan will end up in hell according to most christian preachers today
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by pastormustwak: 2:10am On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:
I'm an atheist but the good Samaritan was EPIC. That was a good story. Unfortunately, the good Samaritan will end up in hell according to most christian preachers today
The good samaritan might go to hell because it takes more than godliness to make heaven. It is only the name of Jesus that can save, and not human goodness.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 2:33am On Oct 27, 2012
pastormustwak:
The good samaritan might go to hell because it takes more than godliness to make heaven. It is only the name of Jesus that can save, and not human goodness.

Was Jesus a fool to tell the story then?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by pastormustwak: 3:56am On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

Was Jesus a fool to tell the story then?

I doubt it. Let us take a look at wikipedia's take on the issue. I carefully selected wikipedia for a reason.

The parable of the Good Samaritan is a parable told by Jesus and is mentioned in only one of the Canonical gospels of the New Testament. According to the Gospel of Luke (10:29-37) a traveller (who may or may not be Jewish[1]) is beaten, robbed, and left half dead along the road. First a priest and then a Levite come by, but both avoid the man. Finally, a Samaritan comes by. Samaritans and Jews generally despised each other, but the Samaritan helps the injured man. Jesus is described as telling the parable in response to a question regarding the identity of the "neighbour" which Leviticus 19:18 says should be loved.
Portraying a Samaritan in positive light would have come as a shock to Jesus' audience.[2] It is typical of his provocative speech in which conventional expectations are inverted.[2]
Some Christians, such as Augustine, have interpreted the parable allegorically, with the Samaritan representing Jesus Christ, who saves the sinful soul.[3] Others, however, discount this allegory as unrelated to the parable's original meaning,[3] and see the parable as exemplifying the ethics of Jesus, which have won nearly universal praise, even from those outside the Church.[4]
The parable has inspired painting, sculpture, poetry, and film. The colloquial phrase "good Samaritan," meaning someone who helps a stranger, derives from this parable, and many hospitals and charitable organizations are named after the Good Samaritan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Good_Samaritan
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 27, 2012
I firmly believe that the many of the parables alluded to real events that had taken place at some point in jewish history. Its like me trying to convey a point, my allegories are more likely to come from events that both myself and my listener would be fairly conversant with so as to help pass across the point a lot better.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by pastormustwak: 5:13am On Oct 27, 2012
^^^You might be right.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 3:34pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 3:35pm On Oct 27, 2012
Logicboy03:

well I'm not sure of that, but no one is in top position to say that except Jesus. The Samaritan is commendable.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2012
davidylan: I firmly believe that the many of the parables alluded to real events that had taken place at some point in jewish history. Its like me trying to convey a point, my allegories are more likely to come from events that both myself and my listener would be fairly conversant with so as to help pass across the point a lot better.
I'm of the same conviction. I find all the parables to be very much repeatedly possible events. if Jesus says a certain man had two sons, I'm of the thought that a certain man really had two sons, even if that certain man may have occurred 300years before in another continent. I think Jesus had an amazing repertoire to pull from.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2012
Image123:
well I'm not sure of that, but no one is in top position to say that except Jesus. The Samaritan is commendable.

Finally! grin grin
Someone that doesnt condemn the good samaritan to hell!
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 11:02pm On Oct 27, 2012
Finally!
Someone that doesnt condemn the good samaritan to hell!
Really? i've never met anyone who condemned the samaritan to hell.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 27, 2012
Image123:
Really? i've never met anyone who condemned the samaritan to hell.

Lies. Most of your christian brothers on NL say so.

https://www.nairaland.com/1076875/good-atheist-make-heaven
Logicboy03:

Samaritans hated Jews and their god.

If the good samaritan can go to heaven, then a good atheist can.

Furthermore, why would it be your heaven that exists? Why not the muslim heaven? The Jewish heaven? Wouldnt you go to hell if they were right?

Boomark:

And who told you that the good samaritan can go to heaven?

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 10:04am On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lies. Most of your christian brothers on NL say so.

https://www.nairaland.com/1076875/good-atheist-make-heaven

do you even know the meaning of a lie? I have not MET those that condemn the Samaritan. The post you quoted is a question? The Samaritans were not atheists, they believed in the God of Jacob and worshipped.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 28, 2012
Image123:
do you even know the meaning of a lie? I have not MET those that condemn the Samaritan. The post you quoted is a question? The Samaritans were not atheists, they believed in the God of Jacob and worshipped.

And the people shouting "FAITH + WORKS" on that thread and ddiagreeing with my comment were saying that the Samaritan would go to heaven?

The Samaritans didnt practice Judaism, they had their own religion Samaritarianism. They didnt like Jews
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

And the people shouting "FAITH + WORKS" on that thread and ddiagreeing with my comment were saying that the Samaritan would go to heaven?

The Samaritans didnt practice Judaism, they had their own religion Samaritarianism. They didnt like Jews
I don't practice Judaism and I didn't read your thread. now shut it already on the Samaritan. what are your views on the parable of the prodigal son?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 28, 2012
Image123:
I don't practice Judaism and I didn't read your thread. now shut it already on the Samaritan. what are your views on the parable of the prodigal son?

The prodigal son is a great story. There is no joy like getting something of value that you lost back again.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2012
Logicboy03:

The prodigal son is a great story. There is no joy like getting something of value that you lost back again.
so far so good. Do you know that God is the father depicted in the story?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 29, 2012
Image123:
so far so good. Do you know that God is the father depicted in the story?

I know
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 7:08am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

I know
do you know that you are the prodigal son depicted in the story?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by tpia5: 7:11am On Oct 29, 2012
i've seen a lot of folks look down on some part of scripture

no biggie.

no be today.

depends on individual mindset.

anyone looking at people for inspiration, will lose their faith very quickly.

quite unbiblical too.

look at Jesus, not humans.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 29, 2012
Image123:
do you know that you are the prodigal son depicted in the story?

Yes. But unfortuantely, I dont have a skydaddy
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 10:50am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

Yes. But unfortuantely, I dont have a skydaddy
same thing the prodigal son acted until he got wise. Did you also notice that all of Jesus' parables are possibilities?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 29, 2012
Image123:
same thing the prodigal son acted until he got wise. Did you also notice that all of Jesus' parables are possibilities?

Why does everyone say that I will become a pastor or become born again?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 11:37am On Oct 29, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why does everyone say that I will become a pastor or become born again?

well I'm not saying that. and not too optimistic about the pastor part too except something very miraculously miraculous happened.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 2:49pm On Oct 31, 2012
it used to be outsiders, unbelievers, atheists that had something against God's Word and swore to tear it down like Voltaire. Today, the enemy has found his way into the fold. There's so much wolves in sheep clothing. They have no goal of bringing others to the Saviour but to themselves. They is no more self -effacing, just a cunning but vicious creeping in. Their mission is to destroy the Word of God. Their goal is to accuse everything. They have every excuse under the heavens to excuse themselves and others from the Word of God. Show them God's Word and what they want to deal with is translation issues and Greek and Hebrew lexicons. They know nothing of the spirit and simplicity that is in Christ. From translation, they delve into testament issues. And even when shown the light in the new testament, the excuse is that its just a symbol, metaphor or parable. Another specie of wolves go on about words before Jesus died and after, and about Jesus talking to Jews only, or Corinthians only. But the Word of God is alive and powerful, and sharper than any sword. There is nothing wrong with the Bible but you.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Zikkyy(m): 3:43pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
it used to be outsiders, unbelievers, atheists that had something against God's Word and swore to tear it down like Voltaire. Today, the enemy has found his way into the fold. There's so much wolves in sheep clothing. They have no goal of bringing others to the Saviour but to themselves. They is no more self -effacing, just a cunning but vicious creeping in. Their mission is to destroy the Word of God. Their goal is to accuse everything. They have every excuse under the heavens to excuse themselves and others from the Word of God.

Appears you have issues with some peeps around here. do you have names? smiley

Image123:
Show them God's Word and what they want to deal with is translation issues and Greek and Hebrew lexicons.

Before nko? when you read 'A' and call it 'B', you want peeps to just accept that it is truly 'B' abi?

Image123:
From translation, they delve into testament issues. And even when shown the light in the new testament, the excuse is that its just a symbol, metaphor or parable.

of course it's just parables, or you think Jesus was just gossiping about other peeps. i.e. "are you guys aware that Mr. 'A' was robbed on his way to Jericho yesterday, beaten and left for dead? he was rescued by a good Samaritan" grin

Image123:
Another specie of wolves go on about words before Jesus died and after, and about Jesus talking to Jews only, or Corinthians only.

i suspect this has to do Mathew 23:23 grin i can see you are still not happy that your 'theory' (abi na hypothesis self) on Mathew 23:23 was shot down by the so called wolves using laser guided (precision) missiles grin

Image123:
There is nothing wrong with the Bible but you.

Who? mention names jor angry

grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by ijawkid(m): 3:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123: it used to be outsiders, unbelievers, atheists that had something against God's Word and swore to tear it down like Voltaire. Today, the enemy has found his way into the fold. There's so much wolves in sheep clothing. They have no goal of bringing others to the Saviour but to themselves. They is no more self -effacing, just a cunning but vicious creeping in. Their mission is to destroy the Word of God. Their goal is to accuse everything. They have every excuse under the heavens to excuse themselves and others from the Word of God. Show them God's Word and what they want to deal with is translation issues and Greek and Hebrew lexicons. They know nothing of the spirit and simplicity that is in Christ. From translation, they delve into testament issues. And even when shown the light in the new testament, the excuse is that its just a symbol, metaphor or parable. Another specie of wolves go on about words before Jesus died and after, and about Jesus talking to Jews only, or Corinthians only. But the Word of God is alive and powerful, and sharper than any sword. There is nothing wrong with the Bible but you.

Lol...

Somebody is vexing.....!!!!!!!!!.....
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 4:28pm On Oct 31, 2012

of course it's just parables, or you
think Jesus was just gossiping
about other peeps. i.e. "are you
guys aware that Mr. 'A' was
robbed on his way to Jericho
yesterday, beaten and left for
dead? he was rescued by a good
Samaritan"
hmmm not really having specific people in mind. Jesus warned us over 2000years ago. If you find people whose pictures resemble the description on nl, good. Warn them about it too, they are all over, not only on nl. So, since its JUST a parable, what is wrong with a parable? And is a parable a white lie of some kind?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Jesus Really Descend To Hell After Death According To The Apostles Creed? / Speaking In Tongues The Bible Way / Scriptures Expounded: The Apostles Miraculous Release From Prison - Acts 5:18-20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.