Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,099 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Peer Pressure Vs Parental Guidance - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Peer Pressure Vs Parental Guidance (1114 Views)

I Married Him Out Of Peer Pressure. Help! / Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Peer Pressure Vs Parental Guidance by damiso(f): 12:28pm On Oct 26, 2012
Hello all this topic occured to me while talking to a teenage daughter of an aunt of mine.This got me thinking of when i was a teenager.I feel this girl feels she could talk to me more as it seems i can still remember what it feels like to be a teenager smiley.It really just reminded me of myself and my mum.I went to a top secondary sch in lagos then that had kids from mostly educated proffessional class ranging to kids from very very wealthy homes.My parents were not rich but were of those ilk that thought or smiley rather still think education is the best inheritance.I love them to bits and it really hurts that my dad is no more cos i really love them more that i am now a parent.sorry for my rambling.anyways back to the topic i was a relatively good teenager academic well mannered etc but looking back i realise that i peer pressure was very present in my formative yrs.My parents were very good at making you believe in yourself but still i felt i needed to belong , be a bubbler(a certain age who went to certain sec schls will know what i mean).I wanted the cool stuff which my parents could not always afford and then i felt God personally sent my mum to make me uncool with her rules' no weavon till u pass waec' No parties no sleep overs at friends that have bros.this lesson that lesson teacher.endless i tell you but i so feel them now.despite this i still worried about what my peers thought.i think it was just a character flaw.i think some or most kids are like that.my husband on other hand was and is still one of those people not easily influenced by peers.He told me he never tried smoking in sec shl even thougg most of his friends smoked.He said he just felt it looked stupid abd smelt awful.He says he did not have sex when all his peers did.When we met his flatmate was mt credit card scammer of the yr.That one used to tease him that you that are even british jeki a gba awon oyinbo yii.He moved out.He still talks to the guy but they all know not to talk about those things with him.He does not care if Mr A have a 16 pool house.He just does his own thing.I am much more matured now and tend not to worry what people think but once in a while if i see friends prob doing better i wonder what am doing wrong.He is not even as churchy as me but feels his race not anothers.I admire him alot for this but i think its just his personality.So my question to those parents with teenagers(mine are still under five)Do u think its a personality thing or can it be worked on as a parent not to succumb to peer pressure.
Re: Peer Pressure Vs Parental Guidance by damiso(f): 12:54pm On Oct 26, 2012
Sorry for the format of my post.typed on my phone.

(1) (Reply)

If You Get Tattoos, So Will We, Obama Tells Daughters / Mexican Woman Performs Self Caesarean / Urgent!!! Please How Will You Handle This Type Of Situation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.