Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States (8233 Views)

Edo Pays Workers’ November Salaries Ahead Of Other States / Dasuki Releases Images Of Sophisticated Weapons Acquired Under Jonathan [PHOTOS] / INEC Releases Presidential Results From 10 LGs In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 9:21am On Oct 27, 2012
If you wish to quote me do so fully NOT selectively I did say a photo of rice would be nice. What does that mean? If you tell me you paid $500 for a car and I say a receipt would be nice. That means I am talking hastily without information?? NO I AM ASKING FOR INFORMATION OR IS THAT NOT ALLOWED I said so many other things as well. I am not UNAWARE of THOSE photos That photo has been published on a previous thread ON NAIRALAND and I believe I participated on that thread but the idea that I asked for photos or a receipt or evidence = speaking hastily without information is bizarre THINK AGAIN.
The gist of my post was not to CLAIM that no rice was being milled or even about rice but to question and express doubt which is quite legitimate I believe.

As usual you select the trees and ignore the forest. You are right anyone who abuses me opens his parents and family up for abuse and I am glad you remember. No one mentioned Tinubu here and that is why I asked you to save that for your partners in strife. I salute the sensible initiatives of ACN in Lagos and challenge those I consider ill conceived. I do not worship anyone

My point is Lagos state has no business in this because they cannot do it efficiently and I used the photo issue as a buttress to that.
That is the issue here DOES LAGOS STATE HAVE ANY BUSINESS IN AGRICULTURE given their track record of mismanagement under ALL previous governments.

As far as the rice mill is concerned is it working now and are they selling rice in the market today. ??
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by thelastPope(m): 9:26am On Oct 27, 2012
CoolooCooloo: ^^^^I was about to say the same thing. They keep posting fraudulent pictures. Why do they always lie and spread propaganda. Why cant they just be honest for once. Why post pictures of bag of rice that were presented on the day of commisioning and milled from imprted rice as proof of your achievement.

simple question is, have you ever seen any of these bags of rice in the market? I mean, it is not rocket science now!

Bro thank you for the million dollar question! Gbam!
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 9:37am On Oct 27, 2012
Personally I am not even saying they are lying or making propaganda although that may be so. I think it was obvious at the time it was imported rice and everyone knew that. We also know that the FG charges almost $400 a tonne of rice whether milled or not so we must question whether the mill is viable to run on imported rice or whether it has been operating since commision.

All I am saying is even if they are genuine in their intentions it cannot work with the Lagos state civil service or public officials. One of the greatest successes of Tinubu and LASG was increasing the IGR . That could NEVER happen if civil servants of Lagos as we know them were responsible for collecting these monies. We know of so many failed farms in Lagos why would it be different because they go to another state.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by PaulJohn1: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2012
I've always wondered what some people's obsessions are with the S/West. There is no single achievement made from the region that you won't see them jumping around to make the innovation look fake and worthless.
Well may be we should conclude it's another level they've taken inferiority complex to in their mind.
Instead of looking in their direction and check what's up in their backyard(home state), no. It's all about S/West.
The questionable part of it is; you stay in a place you don't want progress for.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 10:48am On Oct 27, 2012
Well I do not know what is meant by S/West we are talking about Lagos State. We are talking about an initiative NOT an achievement. NOTHING has been achived YET> The question we should ask ourselves is HOW MANY GOVERNMENTS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD are successful at FARMING?
Why would Lagos State be any different given their TRACK RECORD of repeated failures ever since 1967 in agriculture.Of course we know that success can come after many failures but we must ask questions especially those of us who PAY TAX IN LAGOS. Not South West feelamonges

What is different about this new initiative in terms of knowledge/expertise/management
If they announce that they are doing to harvest from 10000 hectares fine give us data

rather than create a situation where the access to info is assymetrical

Total tonnage
Yield per hectare
Financial statements

Then peole can make constructive inputs by way of questions,comments criticism.
This information should be readily available. Government is no one's property and politicians have a duty to be transparent
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by boles80sg(m): 11:09am On Oct 27, 2012
I will like u pple to check YES store that is not far from ministry of Finance at alausa where u can see those agriculture product produced by individual who r been located lands too in Lagos state farm settlement. And also come around doing december where u will see YES farmers selling their product inside the secretary.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 11:18am On Oct 27, 2012
boles80sg: I will like u pple to check YES store that is not far from ministry of Finance at alausa where u can see those agriculture product produced by individual who r been located lands too in Lagos state farm settlement. And also come around doing december where u will see YES farmers selling their product inside the secretary.
Yes if you go into any petrol station you can buy "subsidized" petrol,that does not make it a prudent thing for government or change the fact that it is a corrupt process

Lagos state has a population according to the government of over 15 million. YES store might sell some produce but of what overall significance is it in terms of food demand in Lagos. What I am interested in as a taxpayer is the Financial statements of the whole venture. How much is being spent and how much is being recouped. Is it a sensible use of TAXPAYERS MONEY??

Are all 15 million of us supposed to come to the secretary(sic) to buy our food??
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Gbawe: 11:20am On Oct 27, 2012
boles80sg: I will like u pple to check YES store that is not far from ministry of Finance at alausa where u can see those agriculture product produced by individual who r been located lands too in Lagos state farm settlement. And also come around doing december where u will see YES farmers selling their product inside the secretary.

Do you mean the scheme cited below?

http://www.lagosagric.org/index.php/component/content/article/2-news-category/18-lagos-flag-off-agric-yes-course-iv

LAGOS FLAG OFF AGRIC-YES COURSE IV

As part of its continued effort towards providing food security and job creation, Lagos state government, through the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives flagged off the Course IV Trainees of the Agricultural Youth Based Empowerment Scheme AGRIC-YES.
Speaking at the ceremony, Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperatives, Prince Gbolahan Lawal said the conceptualization of Agirc-Yes is to create jobs, provide food security and eradicate poverty in Lagos state. He said the programme which started in October 2009 is initiated to make agriculture attractive and rewarding to the teeming youth population in the state.

He disclosed that the programme has concluded two cycles of training, internship and settlement with 100 youths each, adding that the first batch graduated in December 2010 and have been settled in Araga Farm Settlement fashioned after the Isreali type Kibbutz.
According to Lawal, participants of courses II and III of the programme have also graduate all hands are on deck to settle them soonest. He revealed that the products from the scheme which include over 1,500 crates of Eggs per day, 32,000 broilers per month, 18tonnes of fresh fish per cycle, 160 tonnes of cabbage, cucumber, water lemon and leafy vegetable per month are already being marketed in the state.

He however, implore the trainees to be of good conducts as they were lucky to chosen out of the over 2,500 that apply for the course. He added that the management will not condole any act of indiscipline at any point in time.
Lawal assured the trainees of provision of necessary materials that will make them comfortable and feel at home throughout their stay.
Earlier speaking at the occasion, Director Agric-Yes Mr. Oladeji Alao said the course curriculum has been designed to attune the trainees not only to the modern trends in their core technical areas but also in general management and leadership.
”Regularly, armed entrepreneurs and live coaches will be invited to inject into the trainees innovative tonic for success” Alao emphasized.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 11:23am On Oct 27, 2012
The agricultural training scheme is a more sensible project which I support 100% and this is where government should concentrate its efforts NOT starting farms.
Training youths in modern agriculture and entrepreneurship is something we need more of across Nigeria. In fact it would have been a useful tactic in the so called Niger Delta Amnesty programme especially those people being sent abroad. We need to focus on areas like rice fish,vegetable oil and chicken production,things we import in huge amounts right now.
However this thread is about government getting involved directly in farming so let us see any justification for this in business terms. I think that is a fair debate to have
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by earthgreeners(m): 11:27am On Oct 27, 2012
@Aribisala0, u keep twisting d whole thing....
Your IQ must be less than 50 cos ur arguments are baseless...
Its high time you embraced the developmental initiatives by Lagos State government and its S/W counterpart.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 11:28am On Oct 27, 2012
earthgreeners: @Aribisala0, u keep twisting d whole thing....
Your IQ must be less than 50 cos ur arguments are baseless...
Its high time you embraced the developmental initiatives by Lagos State government and its S/W counterpart.
Your mother will fall off an Okada and be crushed by a trailer
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 11:32am On Oct 27, 2012
Gbawe:

Man mi, you said and I quote:

Everyone knows why you said that. When shown pictures of bags of Rice you change tact rather than just simply admit you spoke hastily and without enough information. Look, I have no interest in discussing anything further with you. For one, your arguments are pedantic and routinely negative more than anything else - regardless of how you dress them in the toga of objectivity. Secondly, continuous discussions with you will only end in you getting personal and insulting mothers, father etc. Others are now "combatant" because they respond directly to puncture your assertion? Have a nice day.

U are right not to proceed further with him. he requested for a bag, u showed him bags and now he has changed the goal post lamenting how inefficient Govt officials could be. The truth is lagos and at best SW states are now in good hands (far better than the ones that were there before) and one can only hope and pray they continue to lead us to the promise land. More still needs to be done, however acts and decisions like this are highly encouraged.

I stay in the South-south and here the govt of the SS sometime ago came together and promised to harnessed their potentials together for the benefit of their people. Nothing tangible has been acheived so far however i hope they all wake up from their slumber.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 11:40am On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0: No data on how many tonnes of food or what kind of food. After a while we get tired of promises and wish to see results.
The more important question is;
is the adventure of the state government into agriculture PROFITABLE? Why not leave farming to farmers and fishing to fishers and focus. Are the Lagos farms more or less productive per hectare than similar private farms. We are not stupid and must always ask questions. Why is this a good thing to do ? What next Lagos to open eateries and beer parlours? At the end of the day the food will not be given away it will be sold in the market like every other farmer and they will need
logistics;transport storage waste and theft management these things are very inefficient in Nigeria generally and it is naive to expect government to perform above average.
Just like the much orchestrated Zimbabwe farmers,Operation Feed the Nation and similar bullshit we never seem to learn.
yes government can and maybe should suppport farming but must government become a farmer? Does the knowledge/expertise exist in Lagos government?
The only possible gain to Lagos is if they have very strong contracts with the states they acquired the lands from protecting them against compulsory re-acquisition and also have the option of selling or using the land for non-agricultural use as far farming is concerned this is money down the drain

Even in Lagos State there are several failed government farms which have been taken over by civil servants and politicians at give away rates even this year. Often these farm lands were acquired "in the public interest" and the government has had to return them to the original owners.Usually this involves politicians and civil servants taking a hectare or two before they sign the return papers. It is those that do not know Lagos well that can be bamboozled by stunts
This was my FIRST post on the subject/thread and I have been consistent Thoughout. I have NOT changed goalposts!
Certainly it is your mother who is lamenting not me. Government does NOT know everything. Sometimes we support and other times we criticize. It is fanaticism when we never see anything wrong in all they do
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 11:41am On Oct 27, 2012
Both Government and private initiatives are needed for a more secured food production for the people. Lagos/SW states are doing all they can in this regard and they should be encouraged. This shouldnt be an exception.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 11:50am On Oct 27, 2012
U are just being skeptical about Fashola's direct business in Agriculture forgetting the fact that no govt has the right to force his citizens to delve into Agriculture. The people can only be encouraged to go into such as soon as the enabling enviroment are provided ( and they are being provided) however if there is famine on the land the govt is to be blamed. Also, the poverty experienced by the people coupled with constraints would be farmers get in order to secure loans from our financial institutions are enough reasons why small farmers would never be big timers.

Ur fears are understandable however considering the progress in see in a facets of governance in lagos as at today, i bother less about that for now.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 11:57am On Oct 27, 2012
you bother about what you like and let me bother about my bothers. People need to learn to accommodate views that are diametrically opposed to theirs without abuse. As a taxpayer I have the right to question the wisdom of government going into farming business generally and specifically as an AUTOCTHON and taxpayer in Lagos I know what has happened in the past. I also want to know how much is being spent. The farms fail and are abandoned. The commmunity demands their compulsorily acquired lands back and get about half back,civil servants and politicians share a quarter and the farmstead and equipment auctioned for a pittance again to politicians. Quite often the return of land to communities is very bloody ; there are several instances in Epe and elsewhere. So those so called south westerners who think they know about Lagos more than us should research before pontificating.
There are countless examples all over the state so why repeat the same stinking formula and expect us to celebrate?? Even during Fashola's watch a huge farm at Itamaga in Ikorodu was transferred to a private player after millions had been wasted there by previous administrations. Why not revive that if they know what they are about instead of going to buy land in another state. We are talking about Hectares of land acquired compulsorily through the Land Use decree ending up in the hands of a private citizen in an opaque process. Why should we think it will be different now? Are we trouble makers because we ask?
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 12:06pm On Oct 27, 2012
[b]When u say countless examples, i think am interested in such. kindly furnish us with details and lets hope some peeps will confirm such.

Even if this is true, i see nothing wrong with the policy of Govt directly involved in agriculture. The players (govt officials) may be corrupt but IMO the policy isnt out of place and we as citizens should ensure they get it right this time around if they havent before now.
Virtually all states govt all over the federation are into agriculture even the FG is also into it so why are u so skeptical about lagos in particular?
Here in Rivers and am sure in some SS states here, the govt (as one of their initiatives) has designated high volume Fish farms they are dedicated into. We do hear of abakaliki rice, do u think its only a private driven initiative alone?

i doubt if there is any govt in this world that wont be directly involved in the food security of his citizens undecided After security, me think food is next and leaving it alone in the hands of some private owners who may even hold the whole country to ransom may be detrimental in the long run[/b]
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Standing5(m): 12:14pm On Oct 27, 2012
Gbawe:

Man mi, you said and I quote:

Everyone knows why you said that. When shown pictures of bags of Rice you change tact rather than just simply admit you spoke hastily and without enough information. Look, I have no interest in discussing anything further with you. For one, your arguments are pedantic and routinely negative more than anything else - regardless of how you dress them in the toga of objectivity. Secondly, continuous discussions with you will only end in you getting personal and insulting mothers, father etc. Others are now "combatant" because they respond directly to puncture your assertion? Have a nice day.
Lagos state rice or Imported rice? Which is in the pix you posted? I am asking because i don't think there is any doubt about the existence of a rice mill but of Lagos state harvested rice.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 12:24pm On Oct 27, 2012
Another good agricultural initiative from the State govt.

https://www.nairaland.com/1086037/lagos-partners-songhai-develop-agriculture
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by PaulJohn1: 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0: you bother about what you like and let me bother about my bothers. People need to learn to accommodate views that are diametrically opposed to theirs without abuse ...

No one has in anyway expressed hostility towards your views on this thread. But it seems you're the one who's feeling your posts are been intimidated when you've gotten no strong facts to back up your opinions that are been proofed to be erroneous.
At first Gbawe made a point that made your post look shabby. You later twisted it, but didn't get it right. Now you're complaining "people need to learn how to accommodate others view"
Your obsessions can be seen clearly wink
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2012
Standing5:
Lagos state rice or Imported rice? Which is in the pix you posted? I am asking because i don't think there is any doubt about the existence of a rice mill but of Lagos state harvested rice.

http://lagosagric.org/index.php/gallery/rice-for-job/category/24-rice-cultivation-in-lagos-staterice-for-job
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2012
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2012
Paul John:

No one has in anyway expressed hostility towards your views on this thread. But it seems you're the one who's feeling your posts are been intimidated when you've gotten no strong facts to back up your opinions that are been proofed to be erroneous.
At first Gbawe made a point that made your post look shabby. You later twisted it, but didn't get it right. Now you're complaining "people need to learn how to accommodate others view"
Your obsessions can be seen clearly wink
Someone made a reference to my IQ if that is not hostility I don't know what is. You are welcome to make any analysis about me but frankly the thread is not about me I have my view and am glad of the freedom to express them. They may be shabby and in the process of debate I hope I learn something.Do you have a contribution to make to the subject under discussion? maybe we can discuss your views.
My view is quite simple ; Lagos state government should not be opening farms they have tried it so many times in the past and failed so what is different now. everything else is a distraction from my argument

I know bawwy has many Ids so your offering does not surprise me.

Google "GBAWE and Obsession" OR paul john and gbawe and see what gives. Guy you are easy to read and quite childish. You better go and edit all those posts
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by Demdem(m): 12:57pm On Oct 27, 2012
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by ba7man(m): 1:11pm On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0: The agricultural training scheme is a more sensible project which I support 100% and this is where government should concentrate its efforts NOT starting farms.
Training youths in modern agriculture and entrepreneurship is something we need more of across Nigeria. In fact it would have been a useful tactic in the so called Niger Delta Amnesty programme especially those people being sent abroad. We need to focus on areas like rice fish,vegetable oil and chicken production,things we import in huge amounts right now.
However this thread is about government getting involved directly in farming so let us see any justification for this in business terms. I think that is a fair debate to have
I get your point of view on this issue. But the populace that is the intended target aren't following up on the initiative so the Lagos state government is serving as a pace setter. The sucess will spur interest and it has the possibility of going public.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0:
Someone made a reference to my IQ if that is not hostility I don't know what is. You are welcome to make any analysis about me but frankly the thread is not about me I have my view and am glad of the freedom to express them. They may be shabby and in the process of debate I hope I learn something.Do you have a contribution to make to the subject under discussion? maybe we can discuss your views.
My view is quite simple ; Lagos state government should not be opening farms they have tried it so many times in the past and failed so what is different now. everything else is a distraction from my argument

I know bawwy has many Ids so your offering does not surprise me.

Google "GBAWE and Obsession" OR paul john and gbawe and see what gives. Guy you are easy to read and quite childish. You better go and edit all those posts

But what farms have failed? Name them? Where in Lagos?
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 1:19pm On Oct 27, 2012
Path to agric revolution

The agricultural sector plays an important role in Lagos State’s economic development. The sector does not just provide rural employment and uplift rural incomes, it also ensures food security. But food supplies to the state is short of what is required.

The Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperatives, Prince Gbolahan Lawal, said aggregate food supplied internally was less than 10 per cent of total consumption. In addition, national demand for agricultural produce is expanding rapidly and there are many niches the state can exploit, given its natural advantages. Lawal said the state was poised to raise the bar to 25 per cent in the next five years through its various projects.

To this end, the state has intensified farming activities in areas where it has comparative, ecological and socio-economic advantages. These areas, he stated, include fisheries, livestock, vegetable production, as well as agro-processing, with emphasis on rice and cassava. He said marketing and the whole value chain would also be given attention. Thus, the state is pursuing the strategy of building farm estates and settlements across major farming communities, he said.

Through the estates, the government envisions a transformation from fragmented and small-scale farms to integrated, clustered and large-scale agri-businesses. Key agricultural commodities covered under the farm scheme are: rice, vegetable, poultry, piggery and aquaculture.

By using farm estates, Lawal said the state was moving towards a model which is not only inclusive but anchored on market-centricity, economies of scale and value chain integration of the various factors involved in the production of the commodities.

He said farmers using the estates would benefit from extension services and inputs, such as seedlings, fertilisers and pesticides, adding that the government was making efforts to develop critical infrastructure, such as roads in aquaculture zones. This is to support the private sector’s investment in operating infrastructure, such as processing plants, grow-out farms and hatcheries, he noted.

He observed that the absence of farm-to-market chains was the primary obstacle inhibiting agri-business takeoff. For this reason, he said the government was working to allow farm-to-market chains to operate efficiently.

Agriculture Youth Empowerment Scheme (AGRIC-YES) Estate

The Agriculture Youth Empowerment Scheme is at Araga Farm Settlement in Epe Local Government Area. Through the scheme, the state is attracting young men to farming. One hundred youths were drawn and housed within the estate. They were trained for 18 months in crops and live stock production.

Dormitories are available for new intakes while the programme offers resources, hands-on training, and technical assistance on sustainable practices. These include production, processing, business principles, and marketing of farm-raised products, such as rams, chickens and vegetables.

During their training, the young farmers raise rams, poultry, fish and vegetables. Farmer-trainees are expected to operate independently after the 18 months of training.

Also, the programme is training the students to: produce building materials for green houses, improve soil fertility, develop irrigation, manage pests/weeds and promote marketing. As a result, Lagosians can now access hot and sweet pepper and pumpkin green.

The reason for adopting the strategy, Lawal explained, was to reduce dependency on the government for employment, create and sustain new jobs and reduce frustration among young people. With the average age of farmers increasing and the sector facing skills shortage, he said it was important for the industry to attract and retain young people.

Lawal said the programme has completed two cycles of training, internship and settlement with 100 youths each during the review period. He said the first batch of youths that graduated in December 2010, are about to settle in newly-built 100-unit two-bedroom flats at the farm settlement fashioned after the Israeli-type – Kibbutz.

They trainees will be empowered with loans to establish their farms, payable within five years. The products from the scheme include over 1,500 crates of eggs daily, 32,000 broilers monthly, 18 tonnes of fresh fish per cycle and about 160 tonnes of cabbage, water melon, cucumber, pepper and assorted leafy vegetable which being marketed in the state.

The settlement, Lawal said, is a highly diversified system.

The Head of Training and Course Officer, Vegetables, Agric-Yes Training Institute, Mr Anjolaiya Hakeem, said the aim of the scheme was to breed a new generation of agro-entrepreneurs in poultry, fish farming, bee-keeping and an-all season vegetable farming cycle.

“Since this programme started in 2009, we have trained about 300 youths and we are in the fourth batch. We train them in poultry farming, crop farming, fish farming, meat production and so on. We get our students through advertisements in the media. After that, we conduct a test for them, we usually take 36 females and 64 males for each batch, makin 100 students for a session,” he said.

He said after the training, the participants are divided into co-operatives and each group would be given N100 million to execute its agricultural venture.

“Apart from the N100 million, the participants are also given accommodation where they can live with their families.We also have a fully automated layer pen. We can’t even meet the demand of the market now,” he said, adding that at the estate, there is a hatchery where hens lay eggs. The eggs are collected and incubated until they begin to hatch in about 20 days. The chicks live in large grow-out houses.”

A lady trainee and leader of G2 group under the programme, Miss Esther Akintelu, sees her future in agriculture. She made the switch in career after graduating with a degree in Public Administration. She is keen on developing her skills, knowledge and experience to advance her career in the industry.

Oladuran Oloude, leader of G1, is a graduate of Civil Engineering. Growing up on a farm settlement gave him an understanding of the business administration side of agric enterprise, as well as the daily demands of the businesses. He and his colleagues are learning vegetable production, using plasticulture plots under the green house.

One of the resident instructors, Mr Vascular Olusola, said the young farmers need to have the mindset of entrepreneurs to succeed and enjoy farming and the independence that comes with it.

Mr Johnson Oluwashola, the Project Officer, Ram Ranch, said the institute has about 1,500 rams. He said the rams were brought in when they were five months old, adding that though they were not involved in the breeding of the rams, the institute would soon embark on breeding at the ranch. Johnson said the success recorded at the farm was due to the state government’s investment in agriculture to create jobs and enhance food security.

Ikorodu Fish Farm Estate

Established on a 34-hectare parcel of land at Odogunyan, Ikorodu, the estate is producing an average of 10,000 tonnes of fresh fish per annum. A technology demonstration centre, comprising 50,000 juvenile/cycle fish hatchery and 300- kilogramme fish capacity, a processing unit has been built.

A fish farmer in the estate, Mrs Bolaji Dania, said the government has helped farmers a lot by assisting them with feeds, adding that the government provided the needed information to farmers on how to improve their farms.

Mrs Dania said: “I am proud of the government, because it has made things easy for farmers like us. Being on this estate to farm, has helped me in getting access to information from the government.Government also subsidises some of the products for us and I was even opportuned to get a loan from the World Bank through the assistance of the government.

“I started fish farming with three ponds on one plot five years ago, now I have 18 ponds on three plots of land. People come with big trucks to buy fish and we sell them as fingerlings. We really need more people to go into fish farming in Lagos State because we can’t satisfy those that come to buy. Sometimes, they buy seven to eight thousand tonnes and we can’t meet that demand here.”

Ketu-Ereyun fish farm estate

Another initiative of the government is the proposed Ketu-Ereyun Fish Farm Estate. It will be sited on a 60-hectare land on the Itoikin-Epe Road. This was conceptualised as a follow-up to the Ikorodu Fish Farm Estate. In the same manner, it has been divided into 482 plots for allocation to interested and qualified members of the public. Like the Ikorodu Fish Farm, the Ketu-Ereyun Fish Farm also has capacity for 10,000 tonnes but with additional supporting facilities like hatcheries, processing and marketing centres.The estate is expected to produce about 4.685 million tonnes of fresh fish annually when fully established.

Rice-for-job farm Settlement

Rice-for-Job is located on about 200 hectares of land in Itoikin, Epe and Ikoga in Badagry. The settlement has a modern rice processing and milling centre at Imota. The programme was launched in 2008 to create jobs for the unemployed; strengthen local capacity for rice production; achieve a production target of 1,600 tonnes of paddy per annum and facilitate access to rice processing equipment.

The programme has positively impacted 180 farmers within the last three years. The farmers produced about 180 tonness of rice, which re still far off from the consumption target of 540,000 tonnes per annum for Lagos alone.

The officer in charge of the programme in the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Mr Akinola Oyebola, said the programme has created remunerative economic opportunities for young people in agriculture and built the skills they need to take advantage of these opportunities. He said the programme has given them the skills and confidence to run profitable farms or start businesses which would make upstanding citizens and community leaders of tomorrow.

One of the beneficiaries of the project, Mr Adeniyi Ayino, said the programme has helped him a lot, adding that now he could operate a tractor very well and work perfectly as a rice farmer. “It is an interesting programme, it is a good opportunity for youths today and because we want to participate in the solution in ensuring food security in Lagos state that is why some of us go into agriculture,” he said.

Imota rice processing Mill

The establishment of this plant has created the first integrated rice company in Nigeria and enabled farmers to share in the value captured in the downstream segment. The company will guarantee a minimum income to farmers. Shedding more light on the rice mill, a consultant to the Lagos State government on rice project, Dr Oluwarotimi Fashola, said the mill was built with Korean technology to the highest operational standards to process 20,000 tonnes of paddy rice per annum. Operating optimally, the rice mill is estimated to produce between 350,000 and 400,000 bags of rice yearly, he said.

The primary goal of the project, he said, is to reduce dependence on imported rice and also create jobs and wealth for the people. The mill processes 2.5 tonnes of paddy rice which consist of huller, de-stoner polisher, grader, colour sorter and automated bagging and weighing bridge, per hour.

The following are inclusive in the package: 10-tonne soaking tank, a set of per-boiler and steamer, 15- tonne capacity drier and 60-tonne silo attached to the factory. The factory was built with two other structure for paddy rice storage of 10,000 tonnes capacity and finished rice store cum office space.The complex has 600KVA generator, an industrial borehole and two sets of water tanks; a steel over head tank of 55,000 litres capacity and sets of ground plastic tanks with a total capacity of 45,000 litres. The mill with optimum operating capacity can process up to 20,000 tonnes yearly and is estimated to generate at least 50,000 jobs. Apart from the whole grain table rice, the following by-products are also money earners: broken rice, used for rice pudding, tuwo; ground rice and rice flour. Rice ban – highly sort after for livestock feeds, oil extract and the cosmetic industry.

Fashola said rice processed at the mill are far better than polished rice that are in the market because of its nutritious value. He said the mill has three main buildings. The first is where the raw paddy rice brought from the farm is kept, then to main building where the rice is processed and finally to the store room where it is stored before it is dispatched to the market.

According to him, “We produce 2.5 tonnes per hour and an approximate 15,000 to 20,000 tonnes per annum.”

On the type of rice processed at the mill, Fashola said: “Eko rice is a special brand of rice which is FARO 44 or FARO 52. We use this type of grain of rice for uniformity and that helps in monitoring the standard we produce. We specialise in par-boiled rice. We supply our rice to the government within the ministry and within the Alausa axis”.

Farmers at the settlements will soon reduce post-harvest losses, increase income, and access post-harvest facilities with the rice processing plant which has become operational. The plant is a fulfillment of farmers’ dream of a facility that houses all the equipment for successful rice production. The project aims to improve the efficiency of rice production, storage, drying, and processing to reduce post-harvest losses and improve the quality of rice grains for human consumption. With all the equipment ready for operation, the farmers are optimistic that the facility will assist them to increase not only their income but also the attainment of self-sufficiency in rice production for the state.

High quality cassava flour factory

The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will be setting up a 1,000 metric tonne high quality cassava processing factory in Imota. When fully operational, the cassava factory will directly and indirectly engage over 500 people. This venture is in line with the Federal Government’s plan to reduce the nation’s dependence on imported wheat.

Erikodo poultry estate

The Erikorodo Poultry Estate, Ikorodu, is one of the five farm estates in various parts of the state to bring about self-sufficiency in chicken production.The poultry estate, has 10,000-bird capacity mechanised broiler house, 2,000 birds per day processing capacity plant and 1.5t per hour feed mill.

Speaking with reporters, the Principal Agric Officer, Mr Idris Abideen, said the estate has a feed mill, a processing plant. He said occupants of the estate are expected to build chicken farms where the chicks are raised. He disclosed that broiler chickens are bred, especially for meatiness, quick growth, and weight gain. They are bred for excessive weight gain, especially in their breasts and thighs. The chicks live in the growing-out houses for about six weeks. At six weeks, the chicks usually weigh about 4 lb (1.8 kg), and are ready for slaughter. When the chickens are old enough for slaughter, Abideen said they are taken to the processing plant.

At the processing plant, workers take the birds and hang them by their feet on a conveyor belt. In a typical process, the birds on the conveyor are first passed through a vat of electrified salt water called a stun cabinet. The mild electrical current in the water stuns or paralyses the birds. The birds’ carcasses hang until all the blood has drained.

Pig farming estate

The Lagos State Government has two pig farm estates – the Oke-Aro Pig Farm Estate and the Gberigbe Pig Farm Estate – located on a 80-hectare of land. The goal is for 1,200 pig farmers to nurture a total pig population of over 88,000.

Vegetable farm settlements

The state government is adopting the vegetable farming estate initiatives, similar in concept to fish and pig farming programmes. To this end, about 80 hectares of land have been designated as vegetable farms in three different locations – Igbodu (50 hectares), Iyaafin (20 hectares) and Araga (five hectares).

Farm settlements are created as a stable place for farmers to live, grow crops and possibly raise animals.

Farm estate provide standard residential and processing facilities for farmers.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/issues/path-to-agric-revolution/
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 1:23pm On Oct 27, 2012
Eko Ile:

But what farms have failed? Name them? Where in Lagos?
Well if you are quoting me I presume you followed my posts . I named One the same one twice. Am I supposed to name all the failed farms in Lagos state?
If you want to discuss the issue of farm failures specifically I am quite happy to do so .I could ask you to name one that has succeeded. Since government is not transparent about its accounts we can only deduce failure by a lack of activity at the location and its eventual return to the community, Itamaga, failed poultry and hatchery,Failed palm oil plantations several e.g Oke =Eletu, Ijede and Gberigbe all in Ikorodu.

All these estates that you post are NOT government farms I hope the distinction between a government farming estate and a government farm is clear. In the estate the government acquires the land and does a layout and some basic infrastructure and then sells plots to individuals. In Ikorodu fish estate e.g they bill rudimentary ponds on a plot or half a plot and buyers had to do the rest but it is a good idea. Problem is many buyers have no expertise and training not provided. Again ,sorry to say many ACN guys bought several plots and then sold on when prices rose. Fashola has at least one and so does his former deputy,are they fish farmers? But overall it is a good scheme.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by aribisala0(m): 1:28pm On Oct 27, 2012
Farm estates are not a scheme I criticize necessarily but let us be clear they are NOT government farms.They are private and quite a different thing from government farms. I support some things the government does in agriculture like the "kibbutz" idea,the youth training and several other things but NOT the government Management of farms. What tends to happen is produce is stolen,diesel is stolen and tractors are diverted for personal use or rented out for personal gain. I am from a farming community so I have seen I was not told.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by AjCityOne: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2012
perfectsoft: In the last few days, I have noticed that there is an attempt to divert attention from the mess ACN and Fashola have made of themselves in Lagos with some cheap shots at development. Very pathetic stuff. Even theodore Orji of the infamous Abia government can boast of the clownish posts and claims of development I am seeing here.

You ACN folks should grow up. If this is an attempt to prove to us you are developing, please try harder. Watch even the much maligned Uduaghan on AIT and you will see far more development pictures and videos than you guys are posting. Shameful stuff especially coming from one of the chief butt lickers of them all, Eko Ile.

Monkey, this is not a competition between us and them. How much PDP paid you to come here and write this rubbish.
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 1:51pm On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0:
Well if you are quoting me I presume you followed my posts . I named One the same one twice. Am I supposed to name all the failed farms in Lagos state?
If you want to discuss the issue of farm failures specifically I am quite happy to do so .I could ask you to name one that has succeeded. Since government is not transparent about its accounts we can only deduce failure by a lack of activity at the location and its eventual return to the community, Itamaga, failed poultry and hatchery,Failed palm oil plantations several e.g Oke =Eletu, Ijede and Gberigbe all in Ikorodu.

You are obviously making up your own stories. The state is actually doing the opposite of what you are saying. They are investing in critical Agric infrastructure like farming estates,training, mills and processing facilities, while letting private operators do the farming. It's all there in that long post and it doesn't constitute failure. In fact, the whole area is thriving agriculturally and the state is investing in agric training and infrastructure to help the farmers operating in all the estates...
Re: Lagos To Harvest From 10,000 Hectares of Land Acquired From Other States by EkoIle1: 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2012
aribisala0:

All these estates that you post are NOT government farms I hope the distinction between a government farming estate and a government farm is clear. In the estate the government acquires the land and does a layout and some basic infrastructure and then sells plots to individuals. In Ikorodu fish estate e.g they bill rudimentary ponds on a plot or half a plot and buyers had to do the rest but it is a good idea. Problem is many buyers have no expertise and training not provided. Again ,sorry to say many ACN guys bought several plots and then sold on when prices rose. Fashola has at least one and so does his former deputy,are they fish farmers? But overall it is a good scheme.

Funny how you saw my post detailing farming activities in the area and your own bogus claims and quickly rephrase and edit your post.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

High Food Prices Could Push 6 Million More Nigerians Into Poverty - World Bank / Tinubu Ahead Of Osinbajo With Few Votes (Photos) / UNGA: Buhari Departs Abuja For New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.