Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers (7206 Views)

Committees: Reps Reject Dogara’s Appointments - Punch / No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by kaysy(m): 8:07am On Oct 27, 2012
As the Federal Government and labour representatives move to resume the deadlocked talks with workers of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria over their factitious pension fund, there are indications of fresh obstacles to successful negotiations.

Essentially, the House of Representatives Committee on Power is not in favour of giving a special treatment to the embattled PHCN workers in the ongoing privatisation exercise.

Saturday PUNCH investigations showed that members of the House Committee Chairman on Power, led by Patrick Ikhariale, want the issue of PHCN workers resolved in accordance with the provisions of the 2004 Pension Act, which makes the employee to contribute 7.5 percent of his salary, and an equal amount from the employer.

The Ikhariale committee is of the view that it will be wrong for the FG to give 15 percent contribution to the workers of the PHCN in violation of the 2004 PA since their counterparts who are under the contributory pension are getting 7.5 percent.

A labour leader told Saturday PUNCH on Friday that the talks, which are expected to resume next week, would commence soon.

He however warned that government operatives should avoid grandstanding on the issue, though he wasn’t specific on the new date for the talks that are expected to take care of the labour content of the ongoing privatisation of the PHCN.

Also, a vice-president of the National Union of Electricity Employees, Mr. Etete Ntukuben, confirmed on the telephone that “the talks would resume very soon,” though he too couldn’t give a specific date.

The position of the lawmakers (7.5 percent) follows overtures from the FG to offer 15 percent of the workers’ salaries to them as their pension arrears.

But organised labour and the PHCN workers are insisting on approaching the negotiations with their earlier demand of 25 percent of the total emolument, a demand which is being resisted by those negotiating on behalf of the government.

A member of the government’s negotiating team said that “even the 15 percent being proposed as a settlement to the wage dispute is being done on compassionate grounds in the interest of peace.”

But Ntukuben said on Friday that the workers would only insist on what they considered to be their proper entitlements.

According to him, PHCN workers’ demand for 25 percent of total emoluments of their salaries was part of the condition of service.

He said that it was the position of workers that the condition of service remained a legal document which should be followed in the resolution of the impasse between the workers and the FG over pension and gratuities.

He stated however that PHCN workers did not have confidence in the negotiations and were waiting to see what the government would offer.

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-reject-25-insist-on-7-5-pension-for-phcn-workers/
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by 234GT(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2012
Na only reps wan dey collect jumbo pay?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by chiteny(m): 9:02am On Oct 27, 2012
Their reaction is normal. Whenever it is proposed that their salaries+allowances should be increased 100% you will never hear them reject it. Instead they will do when they know best:

All in support of it say I (every where roars in support), Those not in support say A (and everywhere is silent)

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by nitlad: 9:03am On Oct 27, 2012
"No we wont let you have what you rightly deserve! %25 is too much for you!
Mind you there will always be a %1000 increase in our salary, allowances and emoluments every other month when we do our routine pay review."
Isn't this just wickedness? Someone worked their entire active years risking being electrocuted, and other hazards or even some untimely death, and they get to be treated like thrash. The least you could do is just threat them right, just so they well are kept after active service. Is that too much to ask for Hon. Reps

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by playahP(m): 9:06am On Oct 27, 2012
So reps can't pay phcn staffs but they can earn close to a billion per annum and still want salary increase abi??
Abeg pay them their 25% haba!
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 27, 2012
Is this not the same representathieves that were demanding for 37% increase in salary 4 doing Nothing? Why are they denying the workers apt pay 4 their service prior to privatization?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by omiobo: 9:15am On Oct 27, 2012
why 25%? For what na? When the pension acts say 7.5% of employee and 7.5% of employer. How did 25% come in?

3 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by erniok(m): 9:15am On Oct 27, 2012
The PHCN employees and their unions hated prof. Barth Nnaji for proposing 15% and called him names. I now wonder what they will call our dear honourables with their statutory 7.5%.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Pennywise(m): 9:16am On Oct 27, 2012
The workers have a right to demand for 100% emolument not even 25%.

But govt is irresponsible for going beyond constitutional provision of 7.5%. This is not GEJ money to spend as it pleases him. What is the justification for the additional 7.5% to workers who symbolize nothing but laziness and mediocrity?

This is yet another impeachable offence of the govt about to be signed into an illegal unconstitutional 'agreement'

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by a1solution: 9:23am On Oct 27, 2012
they should please sell PHCN so we would have rest please. I am tired of darkness o
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by erniok(m): 9:28am On Oct 27, 2012
omiobo: why 25%? For what na? When the pension acts say 7.5% of employee and 7.5% of employer. How did 25% come in?
Yes, the act stipulated 7.5% but has FG been keeping their own part of the bargain?

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by sheriffman(m): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2012
Why 25%/if the law says 7.5% then that's what they get.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 27, 2012
chiteny: Their reaction is normal. Whenever it is proposed that their salaries+allowances should be increased 100% you will never hear them reject it. Instead they will do when they know best:

All in support of it say I (every where roars in support), Those not in support say A (and everywhere is silent)

Erm bros, it's AYE and NAY... LOL
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by dabossman(m): 9:41am On Oct 27, 2012
erniok:
Yes, the act stipulated 7.5% but has FG been keeping their own part of the bargain?

Uhm, from what we gathered from Barth Nnaji, it is the workers who haven't been contributing their own quota to their own pension.

Just saying.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by jamace(m): 9:48am On Oct 27, 2012
PHCN workers should just do an illegal power connection to electrocute those looters. angry
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by pek(m): 9:49am On Oct 27, 2012
erniok:
yes! The workers dont want to pay but want govt to pay the 15%.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by thelastPope(m): 9:52am On Oct 27, 2012
Pennywise: The workers have a right to demand for 100% emolument not even 25%.

But govt is irresponsible for going beyond constitutional provision of 7.5%. This is not GEJ money to spend as it pleases him. What is the justification for the additional 7.5% to workers who symbolize laziness and mediocrity?

This is yet another impeachable offence of the govt about to be signed into an illegal unconstitutional 'agreement'

My guy, government does not work like that. Some of you sound too draconian. Abi you be Fashola brother? (#justjoking) lol. Personally I do not agree that government should give them the additional 7.5% but putting it the way you have done is too dogmatic and draconian. Leadership is about diplomacy. What is best for everyone. The government I understand is trying to avoid issues that will mitigate against the power road map and privatisation. It isnt an impeachable offence. It is a negotiation between government and workers. The monies to pay the extra is coming from the privatisation itself. We just need to get rid of these PHCN guys because they have been the real problem of power in Nigeria. I do like the Reps input on this though I question their motive. They may be looking at frustrating the whole process so we have to be weary of them. Lets see how it unfolds
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2012
Doesn't affect our leaders, so how can they see the plights of the common man?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by trigar12(m): 9:56am On Oct 27, 2012
These i.d.o.t.s just wants to dispose PHCN workers like they did to NITEL. Well, HOUSE OF I.D.O.T.S MUST PAY THEM THEIR ENTITLEMENT

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by cyzzy: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2012
Please what is 7.5% of 25,000. What rubish are these reps talking?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by omiobo: 10:02am On Oct 27, 2012
trigar12: These i.d.o.t.s just wants to dispose PHCN workers like they did to NITEL. Well, HOUSE OF I.D.O.T.S MUST PAY THEM THEIR ENTITLEMENT

Yes,Fg should pay them their entitlement which is 15% not 25% which against what is stipulated in the pension Act.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Ozonna(m): 10:17am On Oct 27, 2012
Inasmuch as I hate Reps with a passion, I stand with them on this matter. Infact if I'm a Rep member and GEJ pays these PHCN pple 15%, I'll raise a motion of impeachment against GEJ. Its an impeachable offence to pay others 7.5% and PHCN workers will get 15-25%.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by greaterlove(m): 11:02am On Oct 27, 2012
thelastPope:

My guy, government does not work like that. Some of you sound too draconian. Abi you be Fashola brother? (#justjoking) lol. Personally I do not agree that government should give them the additional 7.5% but putting it the way you have done is too dogmatic and draconian. Leadership is about diplomacy. What is best for everyone. The government I understand is trying to avoid issues that will mitigate against the power road map and privatisation. It isnt an impeachable offence. It is a negotiation between government and workers. The monies to pay the extra is coming from the privatisation itself. We just need to get rid of these PHCN guys because they have been the real problem of power in Nigeria. I do like the Reps input on this though I question their motive. They may be looking at frustrating the whole process so we have to be weary of them. Lets see how it unfolds
I agree with you. I think the phcn workers are taking this too far, under the law they have no right to demand for 25%, the 15% being offered by the government is even going against the law and I won't be surprised if another body sues the fg for taking that action based on 7.5% stipulated by law. The reps on their own are always looking for an excuse to threaten goodluck with impeachment, so if goodluck decides to look their way its the phcn workers that loses for not quietly collecting the 15%.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by TopAnalyst(m): 11:19am On Oct 27, 2012
Ozonna: Inasmuch as I hate Reps with a passion, I stand with them on this matter. Infact if I'm a Rep member and GEJ pays these PHCN pple 15%, I'll raise a motion of impeachment against GEJ. Its an impeachable offence to pay others 7.5% and PHCN workers will get 15-25%.

I agree with you 100%.
Which PHCN staff are we talking about? Have they suddenly become that important that anyone thinks they deserve our sympathy?
Now the tide is turning and they are crying like babies.

The law is VERY CLEAR on Contributory Pension Scheme - 7.5% from Employees and 7.5% Employers' contributions. How then can anyone encourage the lawmakers and the Presidency to contravene/break the same law which they made and which is applicable to everyone in the country.
Let us do away with sentiments and argue on this matter objectively

4 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by coolkaboom(m): 11:26am On Oct 27, 2012
Make d phcn guys go sleep. Na because GEJ mumu dem dey flex muscle. If na d brute frm otta, who born dem make noise? They r vicariously liable for d rot in d power industry and r nothin but a bunch of economic saboteurs who have been living fat off d funds poured into power infratructur in d past 2 decades, all we hav is darkness to show. How is their case diff from nitel, airways, railways, etc and other dead govt agencies?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Zutchy: 11:53am On Oct 27, 2012
The most annoying part of this whole saga is the fact that some gullible Nigerians out there and on this nairaland will still open their mouths and say the govt should give in to the demands of this crooks,now let me educate you,OBJ poured in close to 15bUSD into the power sector,while I can say that out of that amount probably half went into his own personal pocket,the rest went into the power sector and it absorbed the money and yet nothing happened,Yar'adua came and declared emergency in that sector and had poured in close to 10bUSD before he died,it absorbed that also and yet still nothing.NOW I THROW A CHALLENGE TO EVERYONE,NO MATTER THE VILLAGE YOU ARE IN,NO MATTER HOW LOCAL,FIND OUT WHO IS THE RESIDENT PHCN MANAGER THERE,GO AND INVESTIGATE HIM AND COME BACK AND TELL US HOW MANY SIDE BUSINESSESS YOU FOUND OUT HE/SHE OWNS.NOW THIS IS THE GRASSROOTS I AM TALKING ABOUT,NOT TO NOW MENTION THE HENCHMEN IN ABUJA AND LAGOS.Do you not know that these so called civil servants in PHCN have been willfully enriching themselves at our expense,at all levels oh,totally unrestricted.WALLAHI if Nigeria was not the corrupt country that it is Govt should not be negotiating with these criminals but rather be prosecuting them in a criminal court of Law.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by untainted: 11:57am On Oct 27, 2012
Guys please do a little research;
Before the new pension Act 2004 came into force, staff of NEPA
contributed 25% of their earnings as pension savings.
Even after 2004, they did not join the contributory pension scheme.
I think there are other agencies that manage their pension themselves.
Now FG wants to dispose of the company; What do you think should be done?
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by TopAnalyst(m): 12:23pm On Oct 27, 2012
untainted: Guys please do a little research;
Before the new pension Act 2004 came into force, staff of NEPA
contributed 25% of their earnings as pension savings.
Even after 2004, they did not join the contributory pension scheme.
I think there are other agencies that manage their pension themselves.
Now FG wants to dispose of the company; What do you think should be done?

Did you missed the following in your "research"

"....The unions claim that 25 per cent is being deducted from their salaries towards the payment of their pensions and gratuity Is not true as no deduction is being affected from the workers’ salaries,” the BPE added. The BPE said the 25 per cent pay was a “mere provision by the management of the PHCN towards funding the superannuation fund with no physical deduction reflected in the pay slip of any employee of the company and as such, it noted that the claim by the unions could not be correct.

The government pension position for PHCN, according to the BPE is as follows: terminate the NEPA/PHCN Superannuation Fund Scheme as at june 30, 2004 and implement the transitional provisions of the Pension Reform Act (PRA) 2004; the government shall transfer accrued rights of staff as at June 30 2004 to their Retirement savings Account (RSA); and the government will provide 7.5 per cent minimum employer contribution on active employee monthly emoluments from July 1 2004 to June 30, 2012....."

SOURCE: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/business/phcn-pension-bpe-pencom-partner-for-speedy-payment-of-25-severance-pay/
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2012
erniok: The PHCN employees and their unions hated prof. Barth Nnaji for proposing 15% and called him names. I now wonder what they will call our dear honourables with their statutory 7.5%.

^^^Hehehehe grin grin The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it; just be careful what you wish for, as you might get it.

I can hazard a guess as to what they'll call our dear ' Honourables', but it's unprintable untypeable.
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by untainted: 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2012
I stand corrected but I need to make sense of the statement below before I make another comment.
Very busy now. Thanks for taking the time.

TopAnalyst:

”The BPE said the 25 per cent pay was a “mere provision by the management of the PHCN towards funding the superannuation fund with no physical deduction reflected in the pay slip of any employee of the company and as such, it noted that the claim by the unions could not be correct.

SOURCE:
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/business/phcn-pension-bpe-pencom-partner-for-speedy-payment-of-25-severance-pay/
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 27, 2012
coolkaboom: Make d phcn guys go sleep. Na because GEJ mumu dem dey flex muscle. If na d brute frm otta, who born dem make noise? They r vicariously liable for d rot in d power industry and r nothin but a bunch of economic saboteurs who have been living fat off d funds poured into power infratructur in d past 2 decades, all we hav is darkness to show. How is their case diff from nitel, airways, railways, etc and other dead govt agencies?

They resisted d 'brute ' frm Otta, dt was why they were not sold alongside NITEL
Re: Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2012
I don't think there is anything wrong with their demands. Inasmuch as their was massive corruption in NEPA, the corruption was among the mgt staff and govt.
All those money dt was said to be release, r u sure dt they were actually released?
Govt use projects to embezzle money and NEPA's case isn't different.
Govt mapped out sum money, shared, and awarded the contracts themselves.
You may even be surprised dt the actual money paid the contractor is nt even enough to do the specified projects and what do u get? D contractor does the project to the level of money given to him.This is also the problem most of our roads and other projects r suffering.

In NEPA, there are a lot of junior staff that has put in a lot of years working for the company and hopig to retire happily ( their retirement scheme was well run. The pensioner get their pensions same day as active workers. Nothing like arrears.)Like every civil servant, their pay is small and they hope so much on the pension.

Govt was not contributing their 7.5 percent to the pension which was run by NEPA themselves. They did not see it as anomaly since then.
Nepa has been sold and will cease to be a legal entity.
Go and ask NITEL staff what happened to them.
Nepa staff doesn't want to suffer the same fate.
They demand 25 percent of their accrued entitlements now - reason- they don't trust govt to keep their side of the bargain. They also say it was in the terms and conditions of the offer letter they signed when they were offered employment.
Govt has realised sum cool dough from these sales- I advise them to give NEPA staff their share of the national cake. They should not be too greedy to keep if for themselves.
If the staff does not get their money now, they may not be able to get it again. Infact, they should ask for 100% of their entitlement.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Navy To Acquire Hydrographic Vessel From US / PDP Targets N500m Online Donations For Jonathan’s Campaign / Mohammed Musa Bayawa Augie, PDP Members Defect To APC In Kebbi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.