Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (14002 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 6:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
chukwudi44: @honeric01

Did Jesus write any of the scriptures? How do we get to hear directly from him?

You guys are running from the questions, stop trying to divert the issue on ground. Whose's commands are you to follow? that of Jesus or peter?

Secondly, there are alot of things Paul and peter said that had to do with how they felt and they often declared that it was their own words and not that of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
@ Honeric,

Okay, I also want to take the words of Jesus, like you. Show me where to find it. All I see is what MERE MEN said Jesus said, and we can't trust these mere men, can we?

How can we continue to discuss using scripture when you have said there is no scripture?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 6:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
italo: @ Honeric,

Okay, I also want to take the words of Jesus, like you. Show me where to find it. All I see is what MERE MEN said Jesus said, and we can't trust these mere men, can we? How can we continue to discuss using scripture when you have said there is no scripture?

You seem to love deceit right? can you also prove that these words were written by peter, James, john, Paul, Matthew e.t.c you're trying to be smarter than yourself.. show me where i said the bolded.

SO back to the question, did Jesus teach his disciples how to pray or not? if yes, why then do we have to go to others to pray for us when it's written that freely the disciples received, freely they must give too?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 6:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Are you trying to do a U-turn now? You are free o. You have seen the anarchy and mess that anti-Catholicism has put you.

So are the books of the New Testament the Word of God or the words of men?

It is important we know that before we can continue.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 6:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
italo: Are you trying to do a U-turn now? You are free o. You have seen the anarchy and mess that anti-Catholicism has put you.

So are the books of the New Testament the Word of God or the words of men?

It is important we know that before we can continue.

You are just confusing yourself, show me where i said the bolded now instead of running from my questions. you want to put words into my mouth, only liars do that.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mr man! You don't seem to realize all the rubbish you have written on this thread. Now you want me to be searching them out. Go and read your posts.

You are asking questions that have to do with Scripture when you have said there is no Scripture.

Or is there Scripture?

Which book is Scripture?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
italo: Mr man! You don't seem to realize all the rubbish you have written on this thread. Now you want me to be searching them out. Go and read your posts.

You are asking questions that have to do with Scripture when you have said there is no Scripture.

Or is there Scripture?

Which book is Scripture?

If i said there was no scriptures, how come i quote from the same scriptures, does that make sense to even you the accuser? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 7:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
honeric01:

If i said there was no scriptures, how come i quote from the same scriptures, does that make sense to even you the accuser? grin grin grin grin grin

Of course anti-Catholics seldom make sense. We have become used to it.

So if you said there are Scriptures, which books or chapters or verses are your scripture?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 7:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
italo:

Of course anti-Catholics seldom make sense. We have become used to it.

So if you said there are Scriptures, which books or chapters or verses are your scripture?

honeric01:

You seem to love deceit right? can you also prove that these words were written by peter, James, john, Paul, Matthew e.t.c you're trying to be smarter than yourself.. show me where i said the bolded.

SO back to the question, did Jesus teach his disciples how to pray or not? if yes, why then do we have to go to others to pray for us when it's written that freely the disciples received, freely they must give too?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 8:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
...And they are masters at confusing the situation to mask the truth.

Evidence abounds above.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
italo: ...And they are masters at confusing the situation to mask the truth.

Evidence abounds above.

In the attempt to hide your emptiness in sound doctrines from our lord Jesus Christ, this is what you have resorted to, lies and counter lies. sad sad sad
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 1:44am On Oct 31, 2012
Do not blame me for your blasphemy.

It wasn't me who made you say the Bible is not the word of God!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 6:28am On Oct 31, 2012
italo: Do not blame me for your blasphemy.

It wasn't me who made you say the Bible is not the word of God!

You need Jesus, stop following religion, follow Jesus. you're just too empty to be a christian, i believe this is why you can't pray on your own. the time is near o and there's nothing like purgatory that day. embarassed
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 7:16am On Oct 31, 2012
...Afterall, there is nothing like the Word of God too. Or is there?

LMAO!

Insult me and digress all you want...

But I'm not moving from this your 'No Scripture' rant.

How can I show you that there's purgatory when you don't think the Bible is the word of God...and you don't believe in Sacred tradition?

Are you an Atheist?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 7:51am On Oct 31, 2012
italo: ...Afterall, there is nothing like the Word of God too. Or is there?

LMAO!

Insult me and digress all you want...

But I'm not moving from this your 'No Scripture' rant.

How can I show you that there's purgatory when you don't think the Bible is the word of God...and you don't believe in Sacred tradition?

Are you an Atheist?

You're a lost cause, clinging on a straw like a drowning man. embarassed
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 8:35am On Oct 31, 2012
Aww! Sorry mate I stopped getting moved by what you say the moment you said there is no scripture.

Or did you say there is?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 9:33am On Oct 31, 2012
italo: Aww! Sorry mate I stopped getting moved by what you say the moment you said there is no scripture.

Or did you say there is?

I rather watch paints dry than continue with a public liar like you. it this what you're taught in catholic? how to lie when you can't debate truthfully again?

If you can't show me where i said i don't believe in the scriptures, you will forever remain a liar and you know what the bible said about liars? you've got no part in heaven! cool cool
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 10:08am On Oct 31, 2012
I will not show you where you said that the Bible is not the Word of God but the words of men (Peter, Paul, James, John etc) since you are too lazy to read your own posts.

Call me what you like but I will never forget you.

I have seen many anti-Catholics but I had never met one who will deny God's word until YOU.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2012
italo: I will not show you where you said that the Bible is not the Word of God but the words of men (Peter, Paul, James, John etc) since you are too lazy to read your own posts.

Call me what you like but I will never forget you.

I have seen many anti-Catholics but I had never met one who will deny God's word until YOU.

Oya run jare.. i know your likes. grin grin grin grin grin empty barrel.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 7:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
honeric01:
I rather watch paints dry than continue with a public liar like you.
Somehow I knew you wouldn't live up to your word, as usual.

You showed by your last post that you'd rather continue with "a public liar." So now who's the liar?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 8:24pm On Oct 31, 2012
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 8:26pm On Oct 31, 2012
italo:
Somehow I knew you wouldn't live up to your word, as usual.

You showed by your last post that you'd rather continue with "a public liar." So now who's the liar?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by lamdec(f): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2012
I am tired of all this things I am reading, you guys have deviated from the point. Now let's take the same bible passage one after the other..
James 5 vs 13
"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray...

NOT GO TO THE PRIEST/ELDERS

"Is anyone happy?let him sing songs of praise

"Is anyone of you sick? HE SHOULD CALL THE ELDERS OF THE CHURCH TO PRAY OVER HIM AND ANOINT HIM WITH OIL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD.

The duties of the elders is to PRAY OVER HIM BECAUSE HE HIS SICK never to forgive his sins.
"If he has sinned,he wȋ̊ℓℓ be forgiven"
Forgiveness comes from GOD ALONE.

"Therefore confess your sins to EACH OTHER"

NOTE: NOT TO THE ELDERS OR PRIEST....you can decide to confess your sins to your wife.

And also take note,James NEVER said that is the ONLY way to have your sins forgiven, he is only emphasizing the fact that the faith of other believers joined to yours can speed up answers to prayers.

Taking note of the Lord's prayer....the way Jesus taught us how to pray...
ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ started with OUR FATHER, WHO ART IN HEAVEN.............................
FORGIVE US OUR SINS AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO SIN AGAINST US.......

ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ was NEVER and would NEVER be........
REVEREND FATHER....FORGIVE •̸Ϟﻉ FOR I HAVE SINNED..........
NEVER............
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by lamdec(f): 10:05am On Nov 02, 2012
I am tired of all this things I am reading, you guys have deviated from the point. Now let's take the same bible passage one after the other..
James 5 vs 13
"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray...

"Is anyone happy?let him sing songs of praise

"Is anyone of you sick? HE SHOULD CALL THE ELDERS OF THE CHURCH TO PRAY OVER HIM AND ANOINT HIM WITH OIL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD.

The duties of the elders is to PRAY OVER HIM BECAUSE HE HIS SICK never to forgive his sins.
"If he has sinned,he wȋ̊ℓℓ be forgiven"
Forgiveness comes from GOD ALONE.

"Therefore confess your sins to EACH OTHER"

NOTE: NOT TO THE ELDERS OR PRIEST....you can decide to confess your sins to your wife.

And also take note,James NEVER said that is the ONLY way to have your sins forgiven, he is only emphasizing the fact that the faith of other believers joined to yours can speed up answers to prayers.

Taking note of the Lord's prayer....the way Jesus taught us how to pray...
ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ started with OUR FATHER, WHO ART IN HEAVEN.............................
FORGIVE US OUR SINS AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO SIN AGAINST US.......

ΐt̶̲̥̅̊ was NEVER and would NEVER be........
REVEREND FATHER....FORGIVE •̸Ϟﻉ FOR I HAVE SINNED..........
NEVER............

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ijawcitizen(m): 10:17am On Nov 02, 2012
Once again, I'm glad that there are so many anti-catholics in here.
But I'd advice that if you want to know what catholics really teach, you should dedicate some time to studying books about their church and their teachings as written by a catholic. Not judging from the outside by mere perception/suspicion.
Same approach should be applied to islam.

For a comprehensive knowledge please read CATHOLISM & FUNDAMENTALISM BY KARL KEATING.
You can get that from a catholic bookshop & after reading pls feel free to walk into the nearest catholic churh and direct ur questions to a priest.

Enough of this argument of ignorance!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by lamdec(f): 10:56am On Nov 02, 2012
@ijaw citizen......as long as there is no book on pentecostalism...i do not need to go read any book about catholism,if your practices is not in accordance with the BIBLE which is meant for all Christains then you are not practising Christainity in the first palce.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ijawcitizen(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2012
lamdec: @ijaw citizen......as long as there is no book on pentecostalism...i do not need to go read any book about catholism,if your practices is not in accordance with the BIBLE which is meant for all Christains then you are not practising Christainity in the first palce.

Trust me, you'd wanna read this.
I assure you its unbiased.

We both know that the positions/criticism of Protestanism against catholics is well know.
just give this book a try, you wont be disappointed.
I recommended it to a "pastor" friend of mine, till today he is thanking me for broadening his scope of knowledge probably after confirming facts from his superiors and catholic priests.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 02, 2012
lamdec: @ijaw citizen......as long as there is no book on pentecostalism...i do not need to go read any book about catholism,if your practices is not in accordance with the BIBLE which is meant for all Christains then you are not practising Christainity in the first palce.

What's makes you think there are no books on pentecostalism and how is confessing to the priest not in accordance with the bible?

The passages quoted from books of John and James not in the bible?

Even is the word bible in the bible?

Is sola bible or bible alone in line with bible teachings?

You have already acknowleged that James admonised us to confess to each other does that excludes priests? Is the power to forgive sins given by Jesus to the church no longer valid?

There is no need making a making a fuss over nothing
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Afam4eva(m): 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2012
chukwudi44:

What's makes you think there are no books on pentecostalism and how is confessing to the priest not in accordance with the bible?

The passages quoted from books of John and James not in the bible?

Even is the word bible in the bible?

Is sola bible or bible alone in line with bible teachings?

You have already acknowleged that James admonised us to confess to each other does that excludes priests?
Is the power to forgive sins given by Jesus to the church no longer valid?

There is no need making a making a fuss over nothing

I think what the bolded means is that we should confess our sins specifically to those we have wronged. For instance, if i steal from someone, i have to seek the person's forgiveness by confessing my deeds to the person.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by italo: 1:06pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva:
I think what the bolded means is that we should confess our sins specifically to those we have wronged. For instance, if i steal from someone, i have to seek the person's forgiveness by confessing my deeds to the person.

What is the essence of confessing to the person you wronged if he has no power to forgive your sins?

Who do you then confess a sin like masturbation to?

Jesus told the apostles that whichever sins they forgave would be forgiven and whichever retained would be retained. How would they forgive my sins if I didn't tell them the sins?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Afam4eva(m): 1:12pm On Nov 02, 2012
italo:

What is the essence of confessing to the person you wronged if he has no power to forgive your sins?

Jesus told the apostles that whichever sins they forgave would be forgiven and whichever retained would be retained. How would they forgive my sins if I didn't tell them the sins?
From a bile passage that someone posted on this thread, it posits that once that person has forgiven your sin then it's automatically forgiven.

Are we assuming that Masturrbation is a sin? Even if it is, you just have to ask for forgiveness.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
italo:

Read your bible, the lord's prayer is there. read your bible brother italo'

Back to the lord's prayer

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.

Who do you really follow? Jesus or the traditions of men?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ex Boko Haram Leader, Now Converted To The Christian, Fingers Ibb And Others / Why You Shouldn't Wait To See Hell Fire First Before You Believe That It Exists / 8 Important Ways To Manage Yourself As A Christian.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.