Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,240 members, 7,829,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review (2454 Views)

Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate / Reps Set For Showdown Over Move To Reconvene House / Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by ghettodreamz(m): 7:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
The House of Representatives has concluded arrangements to hold public hearings on the review of the 1999 constitution across the 360 federal constituencies in the country.

In a statement, the deputy speaker of the House of Representatives; Emeka Ihedioha stated that the sessions aim to bring the process of constitution review closer to the people.

He stated that various institutions, political parties and civil societies have been invited to contribute their views.

Issues identified to be discussed include recognition of the six zonal structure; creation of states; structure, funding and creation of local governments as well as indigene, residency and citizenship questions.

Others are fiscal federalism, removal of immunity clause establishment of state police as well as zoning and power sharing and terms of office of the president and governors.

The deputy speaker further stated that decisions at the sessions shall be reached, as much as possible, by consensus but where that fails, decisions will be reached by voting.

He however assured that the views of the majority would prevail.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/28/reps-set-for-nationwide-grassroot-hearing-on-constitution-review/

Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by a1solution: 11:46am On Oct 29, 2012
Ok lets see the outcome!
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Telthetruth(m): 11:47am On Oct 29, 2012
hmmmmmmm...... Will it bring a lasting solution to our problem
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Charbless(m): 11:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Creation of more STATES, creation of State POLICE, removal of immunity clause, and so on......., wat of MAINTENANCE of so called FEDERAL ROADS, abi they go fly go meeting? Naija and constitution review!!!! SMH
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Operalex: 12:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
[quote author=ghettodreamz]The House of Representatives has concluded arrangements to hold public hearings on the review of the 1999 constitution across the 360 federal constituencies in the country.

In a statement, the deputy speaker of the House of Representatives; Emeka Ihedioha stated that the sessions aim to bring the process of constitution review closer to the people.

He stated that various institutions, political parties and civil societies have been invited to contribute their views.

Issues identified to be discussed include recognition of the six zonal structure; creation of states; structure, funding and creation of local governments as well as indigene, residency and citizenship questions.

Others are fiscal federalism, removal of immunity clause establishment of state police as well as zoning and power sharing and terms of office of the president and governors.
Tenure elongation must also reach local level and there must be total autonony for local chairmen
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by kabiesy: 12:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
1.Let all States control their resources by them self.
2.Let all Gov. official under must send their Families to public school and public hospital.
Simple them corruption become less in Nigeria.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by 1313(m): 12:28pm On Oct 29, 2012
Untill they amend the constitution and make the legislative function a part time thing,they r just joking. Shame!
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by OkwaIfugo(m): 12:33pm On Oct 29, 2012
another way to open offices and squander funds.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by ayee001: 12:36pm On Oct 29, 2012
1. creation of states- I don't believe this will be conclusive.
2. creation of local governments - as long as you can fund it. e.g Lagos. as well as
3.indigene, residency and citizenship questions.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by ayee001: 12:38pm On Oct 29, 2012
1. creation of states- I don't believe this will be conclusive.
2. creation of local governments - as long as you can fund it. Abuja won't pay a dime. e.g Lagos.
3. indigene, residency - A huge joke that can go anywhere. WE ALL KNOW OUR TRIBES. It's always the first to come to mind.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
Good news smiley
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by jpphilips(m): 12:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
What do we have on corruption?
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Emekamex(m): 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
Bunch of legislooters. They shouldnt loot all our money o.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by tunapawizzy: 1:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
another avenue to embark on money spending jamboree
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Mbeki: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
They have a lot of money they've collected from FG, Donor Agencies, development partners, so this is just the best way to blow the money which pretending the idea was an all inclusive input to the constitution. Imagine one Rep member, having all the money for his constituency Grassroot hearing; That some creative way to steal money. Don't trust these guys abeg!
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by thelastPope(m): 2:15pm On Oct 29, 2012
My big agro with these reps is that they are not qualified to be legislators. I won't lie, I couldn't vote in the reps election because I didn't see anyone I could vote for. They are not fit to be reps in a village association.

How can you say you want to hold hearings in 360 constituencies? They say common sense no common. In 2012? They should kukuma hold hearings in every family house nah! Illiterate idiotas! The laws of a country are not developed by going to every village. You don't need 160million people to develop a law except you are confused. There are hundreds of intellectuals and sound, credible and scholarly persons of character who can represent the people. Then referendums can be conducted to get the final drafts.

Secondly, the whole concept of LGAs is so outdated and has never worked in Nigeria. We should be talking about developing cities and counties(more like our villages). People can identify more with cities not LGAs. You don't need many LGAs like Lagos and Kano are trying to do. You need cities. The concept of LGAs was put in place to determine federal allocation. It was done in bad fate and only encourages corruption and lack of accountability.

We should work on building new cities. I would have advocated for a start, six new model cities in the six zones. It is very easy to achieve. China did it. All we need is

1. Designate the area
2. Draw the city map/plan
3. Provide power, water, Major roads, 1 university, 1 industry or agric community
4. Call for land sale to public according to categories of income and use a ballot system
5. Give people a time frame to develop or loose the land.
6. Then watch it grow

Of course there will be other challenges here and there but it will work.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by opeshe2(m): 2:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
its high time we practice true federalism where local governments are being given direct recognition and state government acts as a mere fence sitter who helps in setting priorities for local governments within its jurisdiction. with this, unemployment will be reduced and the issue of tribal sentiments will be forgotten at least, a local government is a ethnic unit that can easily be used for speedy development of the local resources which will transmit to massive growth and development of the nation. more state creation is a political agenda which is not people oriented, they just wanna share us more so that we can have reasons to deny one another of opportunities by saying he is from my state, he is not from my state etc. lets think well a beg
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Mbeki: 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2012
thelastPope:

We should work on building new cities. I would have advocated for a start, six new model cities in the six zones. It is very easy to achieve. China did it. All we need is

1. Designate the area
2. Draw the city map/plan
3. Provide power, water, Major roads, 1 university, 1 industry or agric community
4. Call for land sale to public according to categories of income and use a ballot system
5. Give people a time frame to develop or loose the land.
6. Then watch it grow

Of course there will be other challenges here and there but it will work.

Good point, but just as you said, Common sense, no common! them no qualified to be Reps!
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
Good idea, it seems very democratic and promising. I hope the people will embrace it with good hearts, earnestly air their views and tell the leaders about unmet provision of basic facilities!
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by sasview: 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2012
I think political offices should be made less attractive and the legislative business should be on part time, this will pave way for people that are truly patriot and sincere, those who aspire for the greatness of the state called Nigeria and not those who play do or die politics because of their desire to loot the nation's treasure.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by sasview: 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
I think political offices should be made less attractive and the legislative business should be on part time, this will pave way for people that are truly patriotic and sincere, those who aspire for the greatness of the state called Nigeria and not those who play do or die politics because of their desire to loot the nation's treasure.
Re: Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 30, 2012
kabiesy: 1.Let all States control their resources by them self.
2.Let all Gov. official under must send their Families to public school and public hospital.
Simple them corruption become less in Nigeria.

Seconded but the issue now is will they agree to this, those elite professional thiefs

(1) (Reply)

Why 2000 Killed In Nigeria N'east Baga Is Not World Headlines / Pictures Of Damages Of APC Campaign Rally In Okira By Suspected PDP Militants / Buhari Is The Lamb Of GOD That Will Take Our Sins Away - APC Leaders.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.