Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,533 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (69917 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Mercedes Benz C200 W202 Vs Honda Accord Ex I4 / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 01, 2013
au.hanson:
Evo is the benz 190 evolution just like u had the 505 evolution, fully cusmetized with body kits(that makes it so attractive to the eyes, u never can resist it. The evo with the heaviest kitting is the evo2, which is slightly heavier in weight and may drag at lower gear) and must be handled with extreme care to keep those kits intact all year round, both are six cylinder engine with good performance, i love them both..The evo or evo2 may be scarce so dont "greedie" for it, very few numbers were manufactured then, if u find her gud.The evolution models area a bit pricey..u may also buy the body kits with original clips and custmetized ur own evo2 from the other version, the choice is yours.
see pictures of the evo: http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=mercedes+benz+190+e+evo+2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8MTQUcH6K4fTPNDCgYgH&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=624

I think i'll just make do with the 2.3/2.5-16 or Sportline, then.
I know how I feel when I see Benz's with saggy bodies.
Tanx
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
@All @what mileage should a W202 C180's engine be changed?

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
Then surprisingly smart guy, it looks like the engine is weak..let a good mechanic or spare part dealer(some of them like mine are very knowledgeable) observe it.Does it emits smoke when u start up the engine? i dnt mean vapour.

smartchoice: Tank Washed recently, no MAF, Actuator body cleansed recently.

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:21am On Jul 04, 2013
Not when I start up but when I revv persistently slightly. Although I have been told that the black plastic on the actuator body (behind) is bad hence hunting and bad air/fuel mixture by my electrician. Then the top engine breather pipe brings out a considerable amount of oil. Basically I think I need an engine compression test not guess work and a fuel pressure test. @au Hanson would do as you've suggested sad
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 6:48am On Jul 04, 2013
au.hanson:
Then surprisingly smart guy, it looks like the engine is weak..let a good mechanic or spare part dealer(some of them like mine are very knowledgeable) observe it.Does it emits smoke when u start up the engine? i dnt mean vapour.

Whats MAF and body actuator. Where are they located in a w203. How do I check the rpm?

Any idea for the cost of a cat for my w203? Noticed its been removed. Can I get just the cat or a complete exhaust.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 9:16am On Jul 04, 2013
smartchoice: Not when I start up but when I revv persistently slightly. Although I have been told that the black plastic on the actuator body (behind) is bad hence hunting and bad air/fuel mixture by my electrician. Then the top engine breather pipe brings out a considerable amount of oil. Basically I think I need an engine compression test not guess work and a fuel pressure test. @au Hanson would do as you've suggested sad

Ok dear! If so, then before you even do all those things you've just mentioned, make sure you replace the bad actuator etc and see , things might change for the better. cheers

smartchoice: "Then the top engine breather pipe brings out a considerable amount of oil"sad
Definitely this is what is causing the smoke
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
funny very funny two mechs checked my engine and concluded that its still in top condition....like I suspected. Actuator here I come.

matson:

Whats MAF and body actuator. Where are they located in a w203. How do I check the rpm?

Any idea for the cost of a cat for my w203? Noticed its been removed. Can I get just the cat or a complete exhaust.
Wow! You need someone with patience to explain, but maf n actuator are always in the engine bay under the bonnet. rpm? on your cluster behind the steering wheel.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 06, 2013
au.hanson:

The name is Sanden 507 model compressor..was able to go under and check it out today.

That of my 190 is sanden 508 model

cheers
were you referring to this?

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 06, 2013
note the red wire
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 3:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
smartchoice:
were you referring to this?

yeah! yeah! yeah! thats it
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2013
With red or black wire?
au.hanson:

yeah! yeah! yeah! thats it
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
smartchoice: With red or black wire?

oh sorry! i thought i answered this; with red wire
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
@au Hanson so how is the effectiveness of the compressor compared to the original Mercedes own? And in the first two minutes can it cool rapidly in the hot sun like that of the Toyotas?
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:18pm On Jul 13, 2013
smartchoice: @au Hanson so how is the effectiveness of the compressor compared to the original Mercedes own? And in the first two minutes can it cool rapidly in the hot sun like that of the Toyotas?
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Mercedes Benz compressors are too fragile(for our road condition) and expensive too, but these guys have save us the headache of affordability.

If you are talking about c180 benz like mine , i think it has one of the most effective ac system by far than the camry. It ac evaporator units, fan and freezer is what really determines the coolness., and its superp compare to any other like the camry, compressor type not withstanding.It takes seconds to cool even with dew. w202 has the most effective ac components . so never change these mentioned components

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 10:07pm On Aug 11, 2013
Can someone help me out:

My car went off yesterday while taking a bend and refuse to revv When it comes on. Had a mechanic to look up the problem But suggested we add some more fuel even tho my car had fuel to the 1/4 level. The car came on, revved quite alright, performed alright till same night, and same thing happened. I had to get more fuel to get the car going.

With a bit over a half tank, took car out today and same thing happened. Had to get additional 4 liters before the car could stay on and revv.

Any idea on what the problem might be before going to the mechanic tomorrow?

The car is a 2003 C240 W203. Also, a service B has been done but still display a 200 miles exceeded on service B.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
matson: Can someone help me out:

My car went off yesterday while taking a bend and refuse to revv When it comes on. Had a mechanic to look up the problem But suggested we add some more fuel even tho my car had fuel to the 1/4 level. The car came on, revved quite alright, performed alright till same night, and same thing happened. I had to get more fuel to get the car going.

With a bit over a half tank, took car out today and same thing happened. Had to get additional 4 liters before the car could stay on and revv.

Any idea on what the problem might be before going to the mechanic tomorrow?

The car is a 2003 C240 W203. Also, a service B has been done but still display a 200 miles exceeded on service B.

Oh sorry dear! I think you have hit the bottle neck too. Believe me, its your fuel gauge(the sending units). I dont need to ask you if your gauge at the dash is malfunctinoning, because i know it does.
Many mech guys wouldnt know this problem, so beware that you dont spend unnecessary money for diagnose, all you'll need to do for now is to keep above half tank at all time untill you change the fuel gauge(or your tank,which ever is cheaper, you may find the after market tank cheaper,it comes with the gauge), then would the problem go.

Your fuel gauge also act like a pump, remember your tank is almost divided into 2 , when fuel finishes on one compactment , the gauge(which also act as a pump will pump the fuel from the reserve compactment to the other half of the tank when it is still normal, but will fail to do that when its is faulty like now hence causing you that bottle neck. Also beware that your fuel pump, the one under your car will be kept under pressure if this should keep on happening, so now the best bait is to always keep your tank more than half full.

You could have an improvement, if you wash your tank too thoroughly with thinner , if i were you i would do that first, then the problem may go for the time being, but i dnt know how long that might last you. I'll give you some more tips when you must have fnished doing these,just let me know then, for now i'm very busy but just wanted to help out.

N/B In life there maybe gray arears: If your gauge are working perfectly ok, then it may be some other thing, in that case you might need to do a scan, but before you do that, check your fuel pump relay and OVP

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 9:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
It drives Well on over half tank. The gauge at the dash isn't faulty. I had to take it to the mechanic who washed the fuel pump n changed the plugs (he insisted on the plugs been changed). There was a bit of improvement till the tank went around the 1/4 level and the revv went hard. Had to do a full tank and its been driving fine.

I will wash the tank this weekend. I'd Like to do that and get a guage. Can I get only the guage without the fuel bump? Any idea the cost? Or the cost of a new tank? If getting a new tank do I need to get new bump and guage?

Thanks a lot. Was looking forward to your response.

Thinking of fixing this and put the car up for sale.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 12, 2013
Fuel sending unit faulty. Don't repair just replace. If expensive then replace the tank it comes with sending units. Don't waste your time attempting to repair just replace! Meanwhile keep a gallon of fuel in the Booth just like me!
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by matson: 11:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
shocked r u for real? A gallon of fuel in booth always? This is serious o.

This is my first Benz n I think I've spent more on this car in repairs and parts replacements within few months of owning than on my jap for a year.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 13, 2013
Heya sorry. That particular Mercedes series I will not touch with a long pole!

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 11:01pm On Aug 13, 2013
matson: It drives Well on over half tank. The gauge at the dash isn't faulty. I had to take it to the mechanic who washed the fuel pump n changed the plugs (he insisted on the plugs been changed). There was a bit of improvement till the tank went around the 1/4 level and the revv went hard. Had to do a full tank and its been driving fine.

I will wash the tank this weekend. I'd Like to do that and get a guage. Can I get only the guage without the fuel bump? Any idea the cost? Or the cost of a new tank? If getting a new tank do I need to get new bump and guage?

Thanks a lot. Was looking forward to your response.

Thinking of fixing this and put the car up for sale.

In this case i dont think you really need the gauge,it has not gotten that bad yet, all you need is to wash the tank, then all will be fine. However, a new gauge cost about 40k for new , but an after market tank cost like 15k or thereabout and it comes with the gauge, so you do not need to buy another gauge like i said earlier. You may just wash the tank and change your pump and filter or just leave them there if they are not bad, then you will be fine, but make sure the tank is throughly washed; i really have to emphasise on this. if possible buy a gallon of thinner to use in washing it, you'll be surprise at the result. If after now you still insist on selling it, let me know your range
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by tommysparks: 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2013
@Hanson pls how do I clean my MAF and what cleaning fluid should I use? Thanx bro
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by auhanson(m): 2:19pm On Aug 15, 2013
tommysparks: @Hanson pls how do I clean my MAF and what cleaning fluid should I use? Thanx bro

Tommy sparks, Use an electrical contact cleaner or a mass airflow sensor cleaner to clean these components by spraying on them and use soft clothe to wipe off the dirts, because these are sensitive components, but if you cant find these in your loacality, then you could use a cleaner call sledge hammer(a cab cleaner )after cleaning this device leave it to dry for about 30 mins before you start your engine else you may have a hard starting. After all these, couple it back and start up your car and off you go. If you see some smoke dont worry its the cleaner at work it will go off sooner
these videos would show you how to do the cleaning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZrFv77l9nQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y7_jCud8-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhbSuIZus-o

2 Likes

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
w202 accident seen recently

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2013
Does anyone have the service manual for w202? How can we get it (online or offline)
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2013
w202 c280 is available post your email

jahjehova: Does anyone have the service manual for w202? How can we get it (online or offline)
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
deleonipede@gmail.com. I mean service manual o. not owners manual
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 23, 2013
I have the mercedes comprehensive service manual do you want that?
jahjehova: deleonipede@gmail.com. I mean service manual o. not owners manual
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by jahjehova(m): 4:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
smartchoice: I have the mercedes comprehensive service manual do you want that?

Yes yes

1 Like

Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 23, 2013
you've got mail!
jahjehova:

Yes yes
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by ziccoit: 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
smartchoice: I have the mercedes comprehensive service manual do you want that?

@smartchoice pls forward the manual to me too. My mail is ziccoit @ gmail.com. Thanx.
Re: Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL by ziccoit: 6:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
smartchoice: w202 accident seen recently

What actually caused this? The wreckage got to the A-pillar. Hope nobody died here.

Note:- Modified

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini / Only Seen On Lagos Roads (photo) / Can You Buy This Car For N1.9 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.