Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,995 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell (13776 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 29, 2012
Nlanders, I’ve been visiting this forum as a guest for quite some months now, and during my visit I came across some thread about Genotype and Marriage, or how a relationship ended due to genotype issues. After reading some of the comments on these threads mentioned above, I was stunned at some people’s mentality about the Sickle Cell Disorder(SCD) which can only be inherited from Hb AS parents. Some people think it is worth taking the risk, but trust me, it isn’t worth it. Having personally lived with Sickle Cell Disorder for over twenty years decided to share with you[b] “SOME MOMENT IN THE LIFE OF SOMEONE LIVING WITH SICKLE CELL”[/b] I hope after reading this, you’ll be able to have a clearer perception on why Genotype and Marriage should be taken more seriously. My heart goes out to all who might have been hurt at one point or the other because of this genotype issue.

I have been thinking for a while about writing and sharing some of my own personal experiences as I go about living my day to day life, with the blood disease known as Sickle Cell Anemia
To start, I will take you back to one of my most vivid memories in a day in the life of a person with SCD.
Please note that by family has being my source of encouragement, support and love. And I love them so much with no regrets.

It was the day before a special family time(a time all members of my family get to sit together, dine, talk, and share special moments together). I was very excited, yet worried at the same time.  I knew in my gut that I would probably be sick by time of the get-together, as the pain (slight) I had been having for days had not let up at all.  I was dehydrated and yellow in the eyes (jaundiced) and I just knew it would not be long before I got so weak I would not be able to get out of my bed

Let me first note that I’ve always been trying to hide my pains from others, (even my family- though I never got to hide it from them, as they already know how I feel, even without telling them). I just never told anyone I was hurting unless I couldn’t take it anymore.  I didn’t want to be anyone’s problem,(as I always felt I was a problem to the family, because I was always the only ‘sick person’, spending days and nights in the hospital- being the only child affected by the SCD). My promise to myself even while in school was definitely not to let anyone know my big “secret” (- because it doesn’t tell on my appearance as I’m well built).  

I was ashamed of not being normal(as people keep saying “why are your eyeballs yellow?” “do you suffer yellow fever?” “Why are you always sick”) and never wanted anyone else to know this lifelong illness I had.  
I cried secretively when I could and tried my best to act normal in front of everyone.  I never wanted anyone to find out how vulnerable or weak I actually was.  The only good thing I can think of from doing that is that my high tolerance for pain now is so significant!

Anyway, on the day of the get-together, I felt as if I got crushed by a heavy duty lorry.  I didn’t want to move an inch in bed(as my legs were losing its strength speedily) but I struggled to get out of it.  For those who don’t realize, people with Sickle Cell can have pain almost everyday.  That is my reality.  For me, EVERYDAY I am uncomfortable somewhere.  So, when I got out of bed my facial expression showed I was in pain, as my dad sighted me he said to me “We are going to the hospital right now, you hear me?”. I didn’t even fight it; he just got up and carried me straight into the car(as I could barely walk and was already fighting hard not to burst out in tears, as the pain became so unbearable.)

I ended up being admitted to the hospital that day (as I’ve been known as an “emergency patient” in the hospital) I ended up getting fluids, and different medications through a PICC line I had.  After four days of going in and out of drug induced drowsiness and being babysat by my parent interchangeably, I felt good enough to go home.

After arriving home, I began to wonder “why me”, as I’ve had so many visits and stays at this particular hospital and now one of their most popular patients. I kept questioning God why it has to be me, as my parent and younger ones has never stepped into any hospital for treatment. I began to feel like I wasn’t part of the family.

As years went by, I knew more about my problem (Sickle Cell Disorder), the “must do” and “never do” Even though I’m grown now and totally know how to take good care of myself. I owe it an obligation to advice intending couples on the need for genotype compatibility. Yes! There’s known cure for the Sickle Cell Disorder, but you shouldn’t know what it feels like raising a child with such disorder.

I’ve lived in pains and aches for almost all my life, and it’s not an easy thing. Indeed life is beautiful, but you have to paint it as bright and beautiful as you want it to be. And the first step to doing so is by knowing your genotype and getting married to someone whose genotype is compatible with yours.
For those whose relationship ended due to genotype incompatibility. Take heart and be strong, trust me you won’t want to raise a child suffering from Painful episodes (crisis) such as Acute Chest Syndrome, Chronic Pain Syndromes, Vertebral Body Collapse, Leg Ulcers or Arthritis

God have a better plan for you and your future.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Mynd44: 8:12am On Oct 29, 2012
Very touching story. I also subscribe that parents should not risk having kids with that disorder but that should not stop them from getting married. Why should you not marry your love cos he carries a gene. Kids can be adopted and y'all will be happy.
This is a very moving tale though.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 29, 2012
I'm so sorry about your condition, really wish I could do something about it. I hate it when an innocent girl will have to suffer because of the parents mistake. Now, they'll live in regret for the rest of their lives. I hope the almighty grant you the strength you need to move on, still be want you want to be. he'll be there in your time of weakness and your time of vulnerability. I hope you've forgiven your parents in as much as I hate to say it.

It is well smiley

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by k2039: 8:24am On Oct 29, 2012
God bless you(OP)

I'm really short of words but all I can tell you 'It is well'

3 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 29, 2012
Mynd_44: Very touching story. I also subscribe that parents should not risk having kids with that disorder but that should not stop them from getting married. Why should you not marry your love cos he carries a gene. Kids can be adopted and y'all will be happy.

Adoption is an option, but in an african setting, how many married couples will opt for adoption?

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by lolaluv1(f): 9:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Very touching story. People really need to get educated about this.

My close friend is SS. She is stunningly beautiful, and she has this disorder.
An AS guy was desperate to marry her, carried away by her looks. He even lied he heard from God.

Only goes to show that people don't know the implications of having a child with this disease.

Back then, she used to confide in me at the guilt she felt, at putting her widowed mum to so much trouble.

She's doing ok now. She watches her diet and takes her drugs. She has a nice job and is in love with a cute, caring guy.

God bless you, Tlinks!

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Mynd44: 9:04am On Oct 29, 2012
Tlinkz:

Adoption is an option, but in an african setting, how many married couples will opt for adoption?
You would be suprised at how many people consider it
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by joey4jo: 9:12am On Oct 29, 2012
joeydozzy: I'm so sorry about your condition, really wish I could do something about it. I hate it when an innocent girl will have to suffer because of the parents mistake. Now, they'll live in regret for the rest of their lives. I hope the almighty grant you the strength you need to move on, still be want you want to be. he'll be there in your time of weakness and your time of vulnerability. I hope you've forgiven your parents in as much as I hate to say it.

It is well smiley
I know to you it might feel like they regret having her, but I don't believe they do as long as she's half as sweet as she appeares in writing.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Idowuogbo(f): 9:14am On Oct 29, 2012
Omg! Were is killz oo? Poster, all I can say is thank u!
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 29, 2012
joey4jo:
I know to you it might feel like they regret having her, but I don't believe they do as long as she's half as sweet as she appeares in writing.

yeah, but that doesn't mean they want her to be suffering. They watch her with these difficulties and knowing it's 100% their fault
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by abiL(f): 10:07am On Oct 29, 2012
Very sad to read. Thanks for sharing your story.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by MrsChima(f): 10:12am On Oct 29, 2012
Mynd_44: Very touching story. I also subscribe that parents should not risk having kids with that disorder but that should not stop them from getting married. Why should you not marry your love cos he carries a gene. Kids can be adopted and y'all will be happy.

I got cussed out in the health section because i was encouraging adoption and i was told i need not to push adoption and blah blah. According to them...because i dont infertility issues...i shouldnt be insulting them with adoption bullshit. REALLY?! I EVEN went on to say people who can have children shouldnt have them because they arent takn care of their children proper.

This world is overpopulated and famine will destroy this world....there are millions of African kids without parents to love them and it is sad to see white celebrities reaching out to these African kids when their own are walking pass them as they are begging for rice.

Damn Mrs. Chima for supporting and encouraging African people to adopt their own. SMH.

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Mynd44: 10:15am On Oct 29, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

I got cussed out in the health section because i was encouraging adoption and i was told i need not to push adoption and blah blah. According to them...because i dont infertility issues...i shouldnt be insulting them with adoption bullshit. REALLY?! I EVEN went on to say people who can have children shouldnt have them because they arent takn care of their children proper.

This world is overpopulated and famine will destroy this world....there are millions of African kids without parents to love them and it is sad to see white celebrities reaching out to these African kids when their own are walking pass them as they are begging for rice.

Damn Mrs. Chima for supporting and encouraging African people to adopt their own. SMH.

You have to understand that they are so obsessed with blood and their silly notion that if one ain't their blood, he ain't family.
We are not their yet but I hope one day, our mentality on issues will change and we will start reasoning right

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by MrsChima(f): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2012
Mynd_44:
You have to understand that they are so obsessed with blood and their silly notion that if one ain't their blood, he ain't family.
We are not their yet but I hope one day, our mentality on issues will change and we will start reasoning right

Thats sad but hopeful.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Mynd44: 10:27am On Oct 29, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Thats sad but hopeful.
Its sad but I hope it gets better and I won't keep quiet until it does
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 29, 2012
Mynd_44:

Hopefully someday soon, such mentality will fade off
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Mynd44: 10:32am On Oct 29, 2012
Tlinkz:

Hopefully someday soon, such mentality will fade off
We all hope so
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by lolaluv1(f): 10:49am On Oct 29, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

I honestly wish more people would look into adoption.

One woman that knows better adopted a girl-child. After a couple of years, she adopted a boy too.
Now she has those two kids, and they are all hers. Nobody can take that away from her.

We have all sorts of strange mentalities that need to be changed. We are religious, but lacking core christian values!

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by yoged(m): 11:27am On Oct 29, 2012
@ OP. Please take heart. So sad about this. It is well with you.... It was like 2months to My younger sister intoduction when I advised her to advise her fiancee to go for Genotype test since my sister is the AS among us. So sad, her finacee was AS too.... Hmmmm, that's how the family called both and advised them to move on. Really felt for both... When both has moved on right.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Foxybone(m): 11:29am On Oct 29, 2012
THERE WAS A NATION

There is mayhem on the streets
Screams of pain coming out plentifully from onlookers
Blood flowing from dissected bodies
While others are aligned to be beheaded
A new movie indeed and the actors performing well
Buckets after buckets of animal blood is thrown
Height of cinematography being choreographed
But it yet brings to mind the decay in our society
A society that diversity is the trusting bond
And religion the apple of discord sown

There was once a nation
Flourishing under the watchful eyes of the slave-masters
Civilization they call it but in reality modern slavery
Noble families elected and taught the secret
Grin to your masters and your reward shall be much
Eyes opened and the slaves reveled
No more colonies we want our country
Governed by us and protected by our own laws
The slave-masters are shamed
Years of investment going down the drain
What more can be used to destroy the new nation of diversity
Aye!!! The apple of discord sown in religion

So our travails began
No succor to the many wars fought
Not with guns but with crude weapons of ancient weaponry
Daggers and bamboo sticks made ready for such purpose
Chants of war cry while the innocent suffers the brunt
O! There was a nation
Whose place has been overtaken
But solace it found in spilling blood
Blood of the poor masses and downtrodden
While the wielders of powers stay put on seat
Watching the sport of blood

There is a nation!!!
Whose advancement in technology meant death
Bombs improvised in the name of religion
While the nation becomes the testing sites
If ever you get to heaven
Ask the creator why there is a nation
And if there be any answer
Reveal it to me in a dream
While I drown my sorrows in this keg of plamwine

Dedicated to the Victims of Kaduna Bomb Blast

3 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by calabaman(m): 11:31am On Oct 29, 2012
God bless u Poster. It can only get better... May God cont to strengthen u

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by calabaman(m): 11:35am On Oct 29, 2012
Foxybone: THERE WAS A NATION

There is mayhem on the streets
Screams of pain coming out plentifully from onlookers
Blood flowing from dissected bodies
While others are aligned to be beheaded
A new movie indeed and the actors performing well
Buckets after buckets of animal blood is thrown
Height of cinematography being choreographed
But it yet brings to mind the decay in our society
A society that diversity is the trusting bond
And religion the apple of discord sown

There was once a nation
Flourishing under the watchful eyes of the slave-masters
Civilization they call it but in reality modern slavery
Noble families elected and taught the secret
Grin to your masters and your reward shall be much
Eyes opened and the slaves reveled
No more colonies we want our country
Governed by us and protected by our own laws
The slave-masters are shamed
Years of investment going down the drain
What more can be used to destroy the new nation of diversity
Aye!!! The apple of discord sown in religion

So our travails began
No succor to the many wars fought
Not with guns but with crude weapons of ancient weaponry
Daggers and bamboo sticks made ready for such purpose
Chants of war cry while the innocent suffers the brunt
O! There was a nation
Whose place has been overtaken
But solace it found in spilling blood
Blood of the poor masses and downtrodden
While the wielders of powers stay put on seat
Watching the sport of blood

There is a nation!!!
Whose advancement in technology meant death
Bombs improvised in the name of religion
While the nation becomes the testing sites
If ever you get to heaven
Ask the creator why there is a nation
And if there be any answer
Reveal it to me in a dream
While I drown my sorrows in this keg of plamwine

Dedicated to the Victims of Kaduna Bomb Blast
wtf does these bollocks have to do with this thread?
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:35am On Oct 29, 2012
Way to go OP thanks for sharing. I hope those silly people with hormones running through their body would listen.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by tolufaithO(f): 11:41am On Oct 29, 2012
@ op God wl give u strength dt u need in ur daily lyf
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by ochukoccna: 11:42am On Oct 29, 2012
calabaman:
wtf does these bollocks have to do with this thread?
Exactly angry angry
Let him navigate to this place https://www.nairaland.com/politics

@ op, sorry, that's the cards life dealt you
Playa your cards right
Are you having issues with necrosis?
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
I know what Op is going through cuz I had two siblings with SCD. Trust me it wasn't funny.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
Thank you all for your positive feedback and prayers. A day in my life has always being like a nightmare, but now that I'm older and more matured to handle the situation, I feel happier and proud of myself and all I've achieved in life against all odds.

Thank you all once again, this really means a lot to me

9 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by salt1: 12:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
lola.luv:

I honestly wish more people would look into adoption.

One woman that knows better adopted a girl-child. After a couple of years, she adopted a boy too.
Now she has those two kids, and they are all hers. Nobody can take that away from her.

We have all sorts of strange mentalities that need to be changed. We are religious, but lacking core christian values!

I think you and Mrs Chima are slightly behind the times on adoption issues. The truth is that the awareness is already so high here that there are not enough babies to go round those seeking to adopt them legally. I know because I have several friends and family members who have not only adopted but are waiting to adopt babies. A friend of mine waited for nearly three years before she could get her lovely daughter.
Adoption is love in action. How more can one show God's love than by picking a child who isn't wanted by the parents and giving it a name, an education and a future?
@topic, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have 2 SS in-laws. One continued to fight for her life until she died at about 35years. It was so painful watching her go thro crises. The last one that killed her she had right under my roof. The second inlaw migrated to the US where they seem to manage her crises better. She is now married with four kids: even had a set of twins last year.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by freecocoa(f): 12:23pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP its a pity you have to go through so much pain, the lord is your strength.
I remember my classmate Makuochi back then, kai Makuo was always missing classes, I remember writing many tests for her, her sickness affected her so much that she wasn't able to graduate with our set, I saw her the last time I visited that state and menh my heart bled.
This Genotype issue is very important and people need to start taking it very seriously.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by SELFWORTH: 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
Tlinkz:

Ignorance is the core reason why people will not consider it.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by freecocoa(f): 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
Brand_new: I know what Op is going through cuz I had two siblings with SCD. Trust me it wasn't funny.
You lost them?

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Sedar(m): 12:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
@poster may God give u the strenght u need! Its well with u in jesus name. I put In my prayer[color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians In Diaspora Donate N48M PPEs To PTF / FMC Kogi Doctors Go On Strike Over Poor Management Of COVID-19 & Threat To Lives / Taraba: 110,000 People Are Living With HIV/AIDS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.