Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell (13784 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 6:31am On Oct 30, 2012
blink182: I strongly believe in God and His power to make anything possible. Doctors have waited for me to die up to 5 times. I've had crisis where I had to be dosed with anaesthetic as normal pain killers were not effective. The anaesthetic only lasts for an hour or so before I start screaming till the next day when another dose is administered.

Psychologists may want to say I had one reason or the other why I never gave up the ghost but I know I had non. I really couldn't relate with peoples feelings towards me. I am still learning to do that, most people call me heartless but that's just me.

I can't find anyone or anything else to give credit to but God, only Him. With Him all things are possible.

blink my brother, I need you guys input in the other thread I opened, Facts and Myths about sickle cell disease. Am counting on you to tell the NL people your experiences and how you have managed it.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 6:36am On Oct 30, 2012
pinky85:

@Abali

I know what you mean about stigma. There some type of stigma you can avoid and some you wouldn't.
Growing up I had so many experiences, its like they're better left unsaid. Also, pray that when the time for marriage comes these 'stigma' won't pop up again.
You'll find people 20 years older than you who don't even know how to be 'mature' about your condtion. Some people even believe you did something in a past life or your parents sins put you in this situation.
The truth is you grow a thick skin as you grow older,because you know you are a lot STRONGER than all those people. You've fought more battles than they can ever imagine themselves confronting and you WON.

Just be thankful for all the good days of health, don't allow the prejudice and perceptions of others stress you out.

Pinky, I have grown more than a thick skin to the stigma. I will like you to make your input on the other thread FACTS & MYTHS about SCD. Am counting on you guys to help tell the world our stories.... The survivor story.... The Warriors Story.... The story of a breed that dared Death and came out victorious...
IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by tonym1(m): 11:18am On Oct 30, 2012
Thanks Abali for your comments
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by sandraa(f): 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
My cousin is one of the miracle stories for she has given birth twice!
We were all scared for her!
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by timmy7(m): 8:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
freecocoa: Okay it is a sensitive topic for you I get it, she didn't come here to ask for pity, she wants people to know the risks involved with raising an SS child, where's the crime in that?
Would you rather people go ahead and bring in SS children into the world because the condition can be managed?
You are SS and its not your fault but that doesn't mean people can't talk about the pains associated with it, its educating to know that instead of trying to manage the situation, its best to prevent it.
thank you atleast her message is noted, the guy should just realise that pity as he calls it naturally follows when such admission is made, she didnt ask for it, everything she said is spot on. Abali should just try to be a little accomodating and realise that as SS, you could try to act strong in other not to arouse pity, but it is not just possible for some especially female SS as severity of the disease is different in different people. She is just saying what everybody that have first hand knowledge of SCD would say and in my own words, it is not worth it to bring a child into this world to go thru the of pain SS.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 31, 2012
Thank you all once again for your feedbacks.
In all, let's jointly discourage couples from "risking" bringing children into this world to live with SCD.

Share the news, and not the risk.

@abali.... I get where you've been and what you're aiming at, but you sometimes need to keep it cool, as not all SCD people can be as strong as you think they should be. Keep encouraging them, and they'll get there.

Once again, I do hope this thread served its purpose. Thank you all

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2012
Tlinkz: Thank you all once again for your feedbacks.
In all, let's jointly discourage couples from "risking" bringing children into this world to live with SCD.

Share the news, and not the risk.

@abali.... I get where you've been and what you're aiming at, but you sometimes need to keep it cool, as not all SCD people can be as strong as you think they should be. Keep encouraging them, and they'll get there.

Once again, I do hope this thread served its purpose. Thank you all

Yeah sis, I will do my best to keep encouraging other warriors out there. For those who have genotype incompatibility, I pray they heed the voice of wisdom.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 31, 2012
@abali, I'll like to contact you.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 3:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
Tlinkz: @abali, I'll like to contact you.

I even tried contacting yesterday, but I don't know if NL sent you a message. Anyway, mail me at abiaaba4gmail.com using Tlinkz as the subject.
I await your mail, cheers.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2012
The Warrior team has decided to move a step further by creating the "NAIJA SICKLE CELL" facebook fan page.
If you wish to join us on facebook, all you need to do is to click on the link below or copy it into your URL and Like our page. http://­ www.facebook.com/pages/Naija-Sickle-Cell - Warriors/­ 453940418000596
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by sammyjay76(m): 11:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
As part of our intensive research and herbal methodology success
we have purely herbal formula containing the three compatibility of
great remedies that now cure Sickle cell as fast as possible in the cases of frequent crisis
and and sever pains!
For the benefits of no doubt we accept to give out the sample for a token
or like to meet with you one on one if possible with your patient for treatment
Hope you will love this too! Lets hear your opinions.
wwww.facebook.com/scdremedyplus
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 10:25am On Dec 25, 2013
sammyjay76: As part of our intensive research and herbal methodology success
we have purely herbal formula containing the three compatibility of
great remedies that now cure Sickle cell as fast as possible in the cases of frequent crisis
and and sever pains!

For the benefits of no doubt we accept to give out the sample for a token
or like to meet with you one on one if possible with your patient for treatment
Hope you will love this too! Lets hear your opinions.
wwww.facebook.com/scdremedyplus
Warriors the bolded is SCAM ALERT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAFDAC Headquarters Abuja On Fire / Nigerians In Diaspora Donate N48M PPEs To PTF / FMC Kogi Doctors Go On Strike Over Poor Management Of COVID-19 & Threat To Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.