Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,167 members, 7,864,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:48 AM

Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? (4420 Views)

Which Nigerian State Can You Say Was Cursed With Bad Leadership? / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Why Are Some Fellas Obsessed With The ILAJE People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by MajeOfficial: 10:28am On Oct 29, 2012
Im not saying Nigeria shouldn't report bad news.
but reporting every single person that gets deported out of a country of 170 million people is ridiculous and redundant.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by kadman(m): 10:32am On Oct 29, 2012
I think human beings are generally obsessed with bad news. It's not peculiar to Nigerians

My Dutch flatmate who was bored this weekend said and I quote "Can't some celebrity die to liven things up".

Another German friend who is a keen cyclist has been following the Lance Armstong drug scandal just for the fun of it.

So yes Nigerians love bad news, but so do other nationalities.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:41am On Oct 29, 2012
kadman: Another German friend who is a keen cyclist has been following the Lance Armstong drug scandal just for the fun of it.

lol grin
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by 360command: 10:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Ikengawo: I've noticed Nigeria is the only country that every single person that gets deported, killed, kidnapped, arrested, in a car accident, beaten, raped, molested, insulted, wounded or abuses makes the front page of papers.

Every single person, as if these things are abnormalities to the human condition. It's mind blowing the rate by which our national media distracts us with news of people being deported as opposed to asking the tough questions about our problems or the world around us.
If Mexico reported every single mexican that got deported the way Nigeria does for it's own citizenry their daily paper would be thicker than the bible.
If America reported every shooting, even in the state news, their state newspaper would look like dictionaries, talkless of national ones.

but everytime i look at nigerian media, online media in particular, it's images of any ounce of blood that the country managed to photograph.
You can say it's sad that there's 1 major car accident in Nigeria a week, but there's also 170 million plus people. If we're going to constantly obsess on any drop of blood dropped by 170 million people in and outside of our boarders we're going to be left with an uninformed populace. plain and simple.

A responsible news media doesn't report EVERY kidnapping in a nation that's the world's 7th most populated, such media recklessness is going to demoralize the nation and desensitize them to violence making them more likely to commit or ignore it.
www.facebook.com/
this OP useless gon.y u dey write this kain tin now.no b bad news u dey write?who tell u say mexican journalist no dey write about d no of of deportees to mexico. @OP,u must b sleeping! @ d ones who kept dis topic on frontpage una must b sleeping.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by 360command: 10:49am On Oct 29, 2012
Ikengawo: I've noticed Nigeria is the only country that every single person that gets deported, killed, kidnapped, arrested, in a car accident, beaten, raped, molested, insulted, wounded or abuses makes the front page of papers.

Every single person, as if these things are abnormalities to the human condition. It's mind blowing the rate by which our national media distracts us with news of people being deported as opposed to asking the tough questions about our problems or the world around us.
If Mexico reported every single mexican that got deported the way Nigeria does for it's own citizenry their daily paper would be thicker than the bible.
If America reported every shooting, even in the state news, their state newspaper would look like dictionaries, talkless of national ones.

but everytime i look at nigerian media, online media in particular, it's images of any ounce of blood that the country managed to photograph.
You can say it's sad that there's 1 major car accident in Nigeria a week, but there's also 170 million plus people. If we're going to constantly obsess on any drop of blood dropped by 170 million people in and outside of our boarders we're going to be left with an uninformed populace. plain and simple.

A responsible news media doesn't report EVERY kidnapping in a nation that's the world's 7th most populated, such media recklessness is going to demoralize the nation and desensitize them to violence making them more likely to commit or ignore it.
www.facebook.com/
this OP useless gon.y u dey write this kain tin now.no b bad news u dey write?who tell u say mexican journalist no dey write about d no of of deportees to mexico. @OP,u must b sleeping! @ d ones who kept dis topic on frontpage una must b sleeping.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by 360command: 10:54am On Oct 29, 2012
[quote author=]Im not saying Nigeria shouldn't report bad news.
but reporting every single person that gets deported out of a country of 170 million people is ridiculous and redundant.
[/quote] what makes u think dey r reporting every person who have been deported?i schooled in benin and at d time dey deported friends i knew,they were not on any media.do you kno what u r saying? Every single person deported are been reported ?this is never true
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by rodeo0070(m): 11:25am On Oct 29, 2012
No News like bad News. Its all about the money folks...
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by thelastPope(m): 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2012
Aqva: Where is the good news? Can u list 10 good things that happened to the nation this year?

1. You are still alive. Or is that a bad news?
2. Some cities are enjoying near 24hrs power
3. We have crossed 100million phone lines
4. We have had 2 free and fair elections paving the way for future free and fair elections
5. PHCN is being privatised
6. Railways are being revamped
7. Business is booming
8. Mimiko and Oshiomole got second terms
9. Our airports have been upgraded
10. MTN is now giving free credits and bonanza!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Esinwaju: 12:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
I don't know about Nigerians in general but I know that MOST Nairalanders are obsessed with bad news and you can tell from the asinine comments that they make when celebrity news makes the frontpage, like asking how it affects the price of garri or their lives. One would think that they were forced to click and post on the thread. Very annoying beings.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by OkwaIfugo(m): 12:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
nothing is happening to Nigeria.
Go to Egpyt and then see.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Noraokon: 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
omenziate: How many good news u dey see for aljazeera or Cnn per day? If not libya crisis, na insurgents for africa or huricane clara for new orleans or austerity protests for spain or greece. Chairman, ground no level anywhere jare. Make God just dey help person.
the authors argument is logical.the media is not helping in portraying the image of the nation in good light.i agree with you we are presently bedeviled with many challenges.but the question is are we the only troubled nation.let us ask ourselves again how often The CNN or BBC reported violent cases in The US, or is it that it is a peaceful society?.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Hoodrat(m): 1:05pm On Oct 29, 2012
It seems we as people are yet to realize the world is now an small village where it is easy to access an country via internet news media like google.com, ask.com etc. To get a clearer view on what the OP is saying kindly log on google and search lagos nigeria ,abuja nigeria,enugu, images and you will marvelled at the rate disastrous images of dead bodies,people soaked in blood and all sorts degrading images overshadowed the beauty of the images of the cities you intend to view moreover it really look ridiculous accessing those pictures from outside Nigeria. If one is dumb one may believe google are been paid to tarnish the Nigeria images on the internet media which is obviously not true but lack of training on our internet usage which we owed to our ignorance. It is obvious truth Nigerian derived joy in bad news and one may wonder why we are quick to take pictures of an incident,upload on internet without thinking twice of the damage and shame the images may bring on us because every images uploaded are automatically extracted to Nigeria images diary on internet. For example In western world if there has been an incident the police make sure no one take picture except a verified and appointed journalist because doing so violate human right laws. In nigeria is the other way around when there is good news we dont see no images of it but when there is bad news plenty images we see. Naija i hail thee.

Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by GenOrumov: 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2012
ogugua88:

Despite the pain and suffering Africans endured during slavery and oppression, they still sang. You are not in chains, yet you are crying. What good have you done for Nigeria lately?
and do you expect me to sing when I'm enslaved by some of my own people?? In the little position I have found myself, I won't cheat, steal from nor kill a fellow Nigerian. That's the little I can do for now. I know God will uplift me further to do more than I'm currently doing for Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
thelastPope:

4. We have had 2 free and fair elections paving the way for future free and fair elections
7. Business is booming

Thank you Mr.PDP ! we hear you! cool cool cool
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Closetoheart: 2:40am On Oct 30, 2012
Aqva: Where is the good news? Can u list 10 good things that happened to the nation this year?

Number 1 goodnews: GEJ condemn boko haram bombings.

Number 2 goodnews: Danbaba suntai has been flown out of the country for medical treatment

Number 3: Dame PEJ is back

Number 4: david mark supports the creation of ijebu state

And I can go on and on

Good things are happening oooo grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by Ikengawo: 4:43am On Oct 30, 2012
thelastPope:

7. Business is booming
11. haven't had a fraudulent election in 3 years
12. Top 5 fastest growing economies in the world
13. Revived middle class
14. Good governance in Rivers
15. Good governance in Enugu
16. Good governance in Benin
17. Good governance in Lagos
18. Good governance in Osun
19. Good governance in Imo
20. Good governance in Lagos
21. Good governance in Akwa Ibom
22. Good governance in Cross Rivers
23. Raise of opposition parties/end to PDP dominance
24. Sovereign Wealth fund surpasses 45 billion USD, making it larger then the entire economy of Ghana
25. Satelites in space/ Nigerian space program
26. Locally made cars
27. Banking boom and professionalization
28. Telecoms boom
29. CBN governor of the year (world wide) won by Sanusi Lamido
30. Nollywood/music entertainment success (global)

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Obsessed With Bad/evil News? by phaya(f): 11:48am On Oct 30, 2012
Yes Nigerians are obsessed with bad news

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wahala! Why Did The Chicken Cross Road In Nigeria? See What They'r Saying Abroad / My Visit To Owerri Devoid Of Propaganda- Pictures / Senate Issues Two Weeks Deadline To Mdas To Defend Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.