Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,446 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56303 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2015
chijen:
I just read this thread from the 1st thread to the last and I was really impressed. No stone was left unturned. I'm a warrior in her early or middle 30, a Graduate and a mother too. Someone mentioned about ss/SC females having so many medical or obstetrics issues which I have come to counter. Even people whom we tend to call healthy have health issues with conception and pregnancy. It all takes God's grace and healthy living. I'm a living testimony. Got to know about my genotype at age 19 while in the University, had series of crisis due to environmental issues ranging from academic pursuit and unhealthy feeding but God saw me through. I have only had 2blood transfusion my entire life which was during my pregnancy cos I had a cs delivery. U will hardly know I have d Scd. The solution is to eat healthy, less frying or oily things, enough fluid and fruits, cut down ur stress and always have a positive approach whenever the crisis comes. Avoid extreme temperatures, cover up especially ur feet cos that's the easiest route to cold. Take folic acid religiously especially the female SC/Ss. Avoid drugs that contains iron. Instead take the ones that contains calcium or omega3 very essential. The best way to fight the pain Crisis is by renewing ur mind through positive thinking. I have had the worst and God saw me thru it all. Finally, bitter kolA reduces pains too. I chew one daily once I have pain and drink a cup of water to wash it down, as if I'm taking drugs on an empty stomach before breakfast. Usually an hour or 2nd before breakfast when I'm in mild crisis.
Thanks for the contribution. I really didn't know that bitter kola helps in reducing pain crisis.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 08, 2015
megam0ney:
@abali, not really much tho! Just trynna be sure...
Sure of what?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
Hello, this is quite urgent, my sis is a warrior and she been having severe cough catarh, which results for fatigue and nausea.... I gave her ugu juice and milk, then I called my mom later who said I shouldn't give to her, that ugu juice isn't good for her health, it contains iron. Pleasseeee how true is this, and what do I do?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2015
Tswaggs1:
Hello, this is quite urgent, my sis is a warrior and she been
having severe cough catarh, which results for fatigue and
nausea
.... I gave her ugu juice and milk, then I called my mom
later who said I shouldn't give to her, that ugu juice isn't good
for her health, it contains iron. Pleasseeee how true is this,
and what do I do?
Since she is having cough and feeling fatigued, giving her ugu juice will only help to boost her PCV and nothing much.
Your mum is afraid of her having Iron Overload which is not good. Not that Ugu juice is not good. Of course most things used in boosting PCV contains iron.
Please next time don't self medicate, always refer her to competent medical personnel.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
Abali1:

Since she is having cough and feeling fatigued, giving her ugu juice will only help to boost her PCV and nothing much.
Your mum is afraid of her having Iron Overload which is not good. Not that Ugu juice is not good. Of course most things used in boosting PCV contains iron.
Please next time don't self medicate, always refer her to competent medical personnel.
Ok. Thanks... She regained her strength few hours later.... Are you saying ugu juice can be administered to a sickle patient to boost their PCV?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by luthorcorp: 8:29am On Jul 21, 2015
even in this jet age there are still people who don't care if they are incompatible infact I have seen a stickler got married to a stickler to and their delusion is that the child Will miraculously be an AA,smh for them, mercyland and synagogue will be their next home when the time comes
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by luthorcorp: 8:32am On Jul 21, 2015
Tswaggs1:

Ok. Thanks... She regained her strength few hours later.... Are you saying ugu juice can be administered to a sickle patient to boost their PCV?
giving them extra blood is not the most pressing issue but the fact that the blood forms a sickle shape and is no permeable making them clump in the veins and arteries causing a lot of pains for the patient which might possibly lead to stoke,so please I advice you,sorting for more and more blood like a vampire might not be the best management plan
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
Tswaggs1:

When you PCV is low, ugu juice is one of the things recommended. Or you can simply make vegetable soup for the person. It goes a long way to help the person build up his blood level. Also, Folic Acid and B Complex does wonders.
Your mum was just scared of Iron Overload, not that ugu juice is wrong. Though it's advisable to boil the ugu slightly, before pressing out the juice.
Goodluck.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 22, 2015
Abali1:

When you PCV is low, ugu juice is one of the things recommended. Or you can simply make vegetable soup for the person. It goes a long way to help the person build up his blood level. Also, Folic Acid and B Complex does wonders.
Your mum was just scared of Iron Overload, not that ugu juice is wrong. Though it's advisable to boil the ugu slightly, before pressing out the juice.
Goodluck.
God bless you. I'll stick with the vegetable soup
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Firstinline(m): 2:45pm On Aug 17, 2015
@op thanks for the information you have provided so far and to every one that has contributed to this thread, i say thumps up to you guys. You have no idea how many lives you have positively affected.

I have a warrior friend that i like so much, you can hardly know she is a warrior though.

She told me that her pcv is 34%, the last time she took any medication was 3 years ago and she also said she hardly has any crises . though she said a labman had told her that she has some normal cells

I will like know if its safe for her to relax using her medication and not have crises because she has a pcv of 34% and is it possible that pcv level drops or increases or is it just constant ?

Thanks.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
Firstinline:
@op thanks for the information you have provided so far and to every one that has contributed to this thread, i say thumps up to you guys. You have no idea how many lives you have positively affected.

I have a warrior friend that i like so much, you can hardly know she is a warrior though.

She told me that her pcv is 34%, the last time she took any medication was 3 years ago and she also said she hardly has any crises . though she said a labman had told her that she has some normal cells

I will like know if its safe for her to relax using her medication and not have crises because she has a pcv of 34% and is it possible that pcv level drops or increases or is it just constant ?

Thanks.
A lot of Warriors relaxes after some months or years of non-hospitalization. The feeling of not taking any medication daily/weekly is exhilarating. It's like "wow, I feel normal. I can do whatever I wish".
Please tell your friend not let down her guards. 34% PCV. Ok. Why not encouraging her to build it up some more, afterall she is female and must see her monthly flow once a month.
PCV, it's not constant. It goes up and it comes down. At 34%, what happens after her monthly flow and God forbid it she has a malaria attack?
Even if she doesn't want to take medication, she should make a habit of visiting her doctor at least once in every 3 months.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Firstinline(m): 11:59am On Aug 19, 2015
Abali1:

A lot of Warriors relaxes after some months or years of non-hospitalization. The feeling of not taking any medication daily/weekly is exhilarating. It's like "wow, I feel normal. I can do whatever I wish".
Please tell your friend not let down her guards. 34% PCV. Ok. Why not encouraging her to build it up some more, afterall she is female and must see her monthly flow once a month.
PCV, it's not constant. It goes up and it comes down. At 34%, what happens after her monthly flow and God forbid it she has a malaria attack?
Even if she doesn't want to take medication, she should make a habit of visiting her doctor at least once in every 3 months.
Thank you.

Thank you sir.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ejieze2008: 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
HELLO EVERYONE,

MY NAME IS CHIEDU AND I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH SCD,FOR THE PAST 35 YEARS, IT HASEN'T BEEN EASY BUT I MUST TELL YOU IT WAS WORTH IT,I THINK IN A WAY IT HAS MADE ME A BETTER COMPASSIONATE PERSON, IT COMES WITH A LOT OF CHALLENGES BUT WITH GOD, KNOWLEDGE, CAREFUL LIVING AND A FAMILY THAT LOVES ME ,I HAVE WEATHERED THE STORMS THAT COME WITH THIS DISORDER.
ABALI1 HAS SAID IT ALL WE MUST SPEAK UP WHERE EVER WE ARE ABOUT THE MISCONCEPTION GOING ON IN OUR SOCIETY ABOUT THIS DISORDER.
PEOPLE DIE FROM THIS DISORDER BECAUSE OF LACK OF INFORMATION AND MIS-INFORMATION SPREADING LIKE WILD FIRE, NOT FROM THE THE ILLNESS ITSELF. I WILL BE 36 YEAR OLD THIS YEAR AND I HAVE A POSITIVE MINDSET THAT I WILL LIVE TO A RIPE OLD AGE. MY PEOPLE SHOULD GET INFORMATION ONLINE AND FROM ANY SUPPORT GROUP( I CONSIDER THIS THREAD TO BE ONE).
I WOULD ALSO ADD MY OWN EXPERIENCE IN MANAGING AND LIVING WITH THE DISORDER.

1. AVOID MOSQUITO BITE AT ALL COST.( IF POSSIBLE BUY SOCKS AND LONG TROUSER AND SLEEP WITH THEM).
2. GO FOR ROUTINE CHECK UP ONE OR TWICE EVERY YEAR.
3. TAKE YOUR MEDICATION AND SUPPLEMENTS JUDICIOUSLY.(I HAVE BEEN ON JOBELYN FOR MORE THAN 6 YEARS)
4. TAKE PLENTY OF WATER ( THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST HABIT YOU WILL PICK UP AS A SCD PATIENT)
5. LEARN ABOUT YOUR BODY SYSTEM TO KNOW WHEN A CRISIS OR ANY OTHER ANOMALY IS ABOUT TO SHOW UP.
6. LIGHT EXERCISE LIKE ( WALKING AND TREAKING HELPS TOO), TRY AND BE ACTIVE.(BUT DON'T OVER STRETCH IT).
7. STAY OF ALCOHOL AND SMOKING.( I STOPPED DRINKING THIS YEAR, SEE WE ALSO KNOW HOW TO TURN -UP smiley smiley smiley

THESE ARE JUST A FEW STUFF I DECIDED TO SHARE WITH YOU GUYS, NEVER GIVE UP AND ALWAYS BE POSITIVE, WE ARE NATURAL SURVIVORS AND UNTIL WE FIND A PERMANENT CURE I BELIEVE WE WILL ALL LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.

I ATTACHED A LINK TO A WEB SITE ABOUT A NEW DRUG FOR TREATING THE DISORDER ,,, PLEASE KINDLY READ UP AND SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS.... http://www.xickle.com/

3 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ejieze2008: 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2016
Thawarplay:
Hmmm!

Im so confused. . . . TCM state it early that cellod-s can cus tumour nd other shid!

Plz what about jobelyn? Can i buy that too?

I cant avoid to go thru this pain again, not even concerned about the pain but d hospital bills

Im still young 21.

START WITH JOBELYN,,,!!! AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ameenahz(f): 3:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hello Abali1,

Is there any herbal supplement that you can vouch for? My sister is on her 5th crisis this year and it seems to be the worst so far. She has tried dioscovite before and i am thinking of getting her somalin and cellod s. She is currently on admission in a tertiary health institution but there has been no improvement. We are tired. Please help. Thank you
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2016
ameenahz:
Hello Abali1,

Is there any herbal supplement that you can vouch for? My sister is on her 5th crisis this year and it seems to be the worst so far. She has tried dioscovite before and i am thinking of getting her somalin and cellod s. She is currently on admission in a tertiary health institution but there has been no improvement. We are tired. Please help. Thank you
Hi ameenahz, I am sorry to hear about your sister, hope she is responding to treatment.
Concerning herbal supplement, I can't vouch for any drug and moreover, our body systems are different. What may work effectively for me, may not work as a effective for another.
Having said that, I can tell you that I have used dioscovite and Cellod-S. But haven't used somalin though I have heard that its equally good. Between the two that I have used, I prefer Cellod-S.
I will advice that you should wait for the hospital to discharge her before introducing herbal medication. Or better still consult her physician, though s/he may discourage the use of herbal medicine.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Warrior07(m): 10:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
where can we get this Cellod-S,and what does it do, how does it work??
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ameenahz(f): 11:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abali1:

Hi ameenahz, I am sorry to hear about your sister, hope she is responding to treatment.
Concerning herbal supplement, I can't vouch for any drug and moreover, our body systems are different. What may work effectively for me, may not work as a effective for another.
Having said that, I can tell you that I have used dioscovite and Cellod-S. But haven't used somalin though I have heard that its equally good. Between the two that I have used, I prefer Cellod-S.
I will advice that you should wait for the hospital to discharge her before introducing herbal medication. Or better still consult her physician, though s/he may discourage the use of herbal medicine.

Thank you so much. I do realise that it will be better to wait until she is discharged. I was just wondering if something can be done to help her, in the mean time. However, I will take to your advise.
Thanks again. Regards to the family.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 12:37am On Dec 29, 2016
[quote author=Warrior07 post=52343592][/quote]
It's been a while I used it last. But google. it am sure the addresses will be in their website.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by shomutuski(m): 12:09am On Jan 13, 2017
ameenahz:

Thank you so much. I do realise that it will be better to wait until she is discharged. I was just wondering if something can be done to help her, in the mean time. However, I will take to your advise.
Thanks again. Regards to the family.

HBD ALLAHs rahman on you

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by otiadeoye(f): 8:05pm On May 08, 2017
I bless God for the people here, I have always said it that sickle cell disease isn't a death sentence and I have seen many outlive many others who aren't anaemic. Simply because u aren't anaemic doesn't guaranty a long life, ur life may b shortened if u are careless about how u feed and ur health generally irrespective of being AA. A child DTS not well fed will look worse than a child with acute SCD and will have grave sickness and diseases DT may take his life while a well and properly fed SCD child will live well and fine without falling sick. Seen many SCDs who's never bn sick at all, met one at their center opposite luth ...a guy over 18yrs and has never been sick for once. Please feed well and healthy to live long in sound health. Sickle cell disease isn't a death sentence, folic acid isn't a big deal too as a daily dose because most non SCDs place themselves on certain drugs too either calcium tabs or vitamins or so.
More so, u can avoid having an SS by ivf( determine genotype and sex of baby) or CVS and if u have them already, love and care for them + make them adopt healthy lifestyles. Always thank God for them because they aren't with terminal diseases, or heart probs or down syndrome etc which some normal AA or AS children have, yes AA, AS can have leukaemia and seen many of them suffer pains even an SCD never suffers, kidney or heart probs...hmm God is indeed great and aseyiowun nii( he does as he likes)...we can't question him.
Besides permanent solution is available to chronic sickle cell carriers by way of cell transplant, matching siblings can donate or the newly found solution which is less stressful. The latest permanent solution tested and proven which is now available is gene therapy, u don't need to go thru the stress of search for matching sibling or same blood, d best for now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by G1ms: 11:51pm On May 08, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:22pm On May 27, 2017
G1ms:

The cellod u take.. does it work well? How much is it?
Plus is it advisable to take anti malarial drugs daily knowing the cell is already somehow resistant to malaria? Also i stopped taking fiofio like 5yrs ago.. back then they grind plenty into powdered form and store it in plenty containers. All i do is use spoon and scoop some in a glass cup add some honey put water mix and drink. Got lazy and stopped.. i took dioscovite but later stopped cos it was scarce. I eat anyhow. . I love oily foods, i so much detest beans till now but i love vegetables. I'm in my mid 20s and i always have crises like crazy especially when i stress myself. Stress is inevitable in my life. If i don't stress how do i make it? I drink lots of water when available but i don't carry water bottle around. All i take now is folic acid and paludrine... but when in crises i add ibuprofen that's all. My crises is the most painful crises in the world that makes stay down for weeks but i take it like a man cos i see it as just pains.
What is still amazing me is that I've never been to the hospital for treatment, check up or whatever since i was born. No drip, No transfusion. . Nothing upon all my frequent crises since i was a kid.
I stopped taking Cellod S a long time ago. I don't know. the present cost now.
NB
Sorry for responding late.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by babatundeamos: 3:33pm On Aug 21, 2017
Techwriter:
I don't know whether these are facts or myth but when I sought friends advice on whether to marry a fellow AS. One told me that the possibility of giving birth to a sickler is from my 3rd baby. That I can actually stop at two and be safe. I also heard in my teenage years that ones an SS gets to 30, the symptoms ceasing and he can't die from the condition. Is that true?

*smiles*
we all appear to have gotten Biology wrong. The thing is this...
If two people with genotype AS get married, at every conception, the possibility of having an SS child is 1/4.

1/4 doesn't mean 1 child out of 4 children.
1/4 only explains the chances per conception. It's like saying there are 25% chances of having an SS child each time you conceive

And trust me, if there are 25% chances of something happening, its too risky to risk it. Please steer clear.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by zoedicus: 10:39am On Aug 24, 2017
I think this might help....Sickle Cell Foundation of Nigeria is a cool place.
They've got labs and offer clinical services there too. You can run tests, treat leg ulcer, and get genetic advice from them.
Check out the facebook page here -

https://www.facebook.com/sicklecellfoundation/

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Promxy94(m): 3:19pm On Jun 27, 2018
What a thread
Thumps up to those providing information's here.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by bman2003: 4:41pm On Apr 05, 2019
Solamin

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by sirblend: 10:09am On Feb 26
ikare:
my fiancee is SS n we met about a year ago.she dicovered she was ss at age 5 n for a very long time battled with it.she is 28 now n stronger than ever.she gradually learnt how to deal with,primarily by knowing wat d symptons are,wen they come n wat happens wen they are comin. first thn we cleared was d ss issue. she actually tried to make me realize how bad d situation could be, 4 me. but d more we got on,d more i realized dat she is d one 4 me.she is doin great healthwise,in fact on several occassions,i actually was able to predict dat her crisis was near.she's had just 2 so far n they were mild.she takes her medication regularly n by God's grace,d worst is behind us. but the thn i admire most about her is dat she is a fighter n a survivor. she knows wat she has n knows equally how to deal with it. she's bn doin it alone for long,now she has me.so to answer ur question, YES.

Good morning!
Did you later get married to her?
I am presently dating a sickle cell lady and want to get married to her....
What advice do you have for me .

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

8 Critical Signs That You Have Stomach Ulcers And What To Do About It / Adenike, Ibadan Polytechnic Student Whose Legs Were Cut Off (photos) / The Top 6 Causes Of Kidney Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.