Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? (6685 Views)

Some Nigerians Mental Reasoning That Needs Urgent Attention / Why Do Some Nigerians In The U.s. Do This? / Why Are Some Nigerians Ignorant And Boastful Lots? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 31, 2013
abdulkayus: A thread of last year making front page this year. Na wa ooo. Dat means hope dey for dos who are still prayin to hit front page
LMAO!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:04pm On Jul 31, 2013
WHO
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2013
MESS
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2013
NA OJO
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2013
OJO SAY
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2013
NA TEACHER
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Donmichaelz(m): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2013
TEACHER SAY
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by obailala(m): 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2013
This shit happens only in Nigeria..(and maybe in some other African countries). Pure sign of inferiority complex mixed with yeye pride
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by delors(m): 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2013
My Pellow Nigerians, by way of introduction...

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2013
His Excellency, Sir Chief Dr. Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion BBC CNN MYTV Honorary Romanian consul to Edo and Delta states
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by badesco(m): 12:29pm On Jul 31, 2013
Because they believed that with the yeye title they are above or superior than any other Nigerian.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by princeonx: 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2013
fingard02k: lolzzz not a new thing @op..in my town you dare not call an OZO titled man a mr.
Even when a snake is about to attack him? Even if na Oga I call am sef him go jump and run!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by esqtony: 1:23pm On Jul 31, 2013
Una dey here dey complain. I just met one man. His name? Late lt. Col. Chief prof. Dr. Acrusa esq. (B.Sc,B.A, LL.B, BL, LL.M, IMT, NTA, AKTC, HIV, RIP. The gud ting is, he is still alive.[color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by thelonestranger: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2013
Feraz: Good evening all! Recently, I went to a function and while they were calling out the names of the guests, I noticed a common trend which was attaching a title before the person's name. It reminded me of when I was in my school's lab and a guest came looking for someone. He told the lab. attendant that he was looking for Mr..... and the lab attendant replied harshly, "Is it Mr.....or Engr.....?" The guest was like "oh, sorry! I mean Engr...." before he replied that he was the one. In my mind, I was like WTF??!!!! undecided When I say title, I don't mean Mr./Miss/Mrs; I mean titles like Pastor Mr., Sir Engr., Bishop Evangelist (is it that both don't preach the word of God?), Dr. Engr., Prof Chief abi na Chief Prof.? Even our supposed lecturers are not left out of this? Try addressing a Dr. or Prof. as Mr. (even if it is a mistake) and watch his reaction....Some have as many as four titles.....does title mean achievement for some?.....Is it only in Nigeria or am I the only one who has noticed this?
What are your views on this?

I wonder o. Only God knows what they intend to gain by these unnecessary titles.
- (Double) Chief Dr. Lonestranger
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by MARKREN: 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2013
We nigerians are obsessed with paper qualifications that add little or no practical benefit to society at large.

With all the Professors of Engineering in this country we cannot still put heads together to draw up a homegrown solutions for our energy problems, National identity & data base management, road maintainance, etc

I laugh when I hear these titles. The lettest now is Phamarcist.......... I heard it at an event I attended recently.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by MAYOWAAK: 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2013
It’s conventional wisdom in Nigeria that titles, however hollow, matter. In many quarters, the quality of a person’s mind is of no consequence. What matters is self-advertisement, buttressed shamelessly in the adornment of antiquated, silly honorifics. So we went from addressing people as Chief (which has no meaning, really) to calling them High Chief, Double Chief, or Double High Chief – terms that inspire embarrassment on behalf of those who flaunt them.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by dasparrow: 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2013
Feraz: Good evening all! Recently, I went to a function and while they were calling out the names of the guests, I noticed a common trend which was attaching a title before the person's name. It reminded me of when I was in my school's lab and a guest came looking for someone. He told the lab. attendant that he was looking for Mr..... and the lab attendant replied harshly, "Is it Mr.....or Engr.....?" The guest was like "oh, sorry! I mean Engr...." before he replied that he was the one. In my mind, I was like WTF??!!!! undecided When I say title, I don't mean Mr./Miss/Mrs; I mean titles like Pastor Mr., Sir Engr., Bishop Evangelist (is it that both don't preach the word of God?), Dr. Engr., Prof Chief abi na Chief Prof.? Even our supposed lecturers are not left out of this? Try addressing a Dr. or Prof. as Mr. (even if it is a mistake) and watch his reaction....Some have as many as four titles.....does title mean achievement for some?.....Is it only in Nigeria or am I the only one who has noticed this?
What are your views on this?

Its just inflated ego causing the title obsession.

*On a side note, I have been requesting for a specific thread to be placed on the front page but to no avail. This 2012 thread now makes front page. Moderators why now?*
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by rindee(m): 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2013
did you know who i am
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by okomonny(m): 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2013
African tradition attach respect to people. I can call my teacher Mr. so...so. The tradition does not support younger person calling older person by name, so you attach a title by showing sign of respect. Therefore, Mr. Mrs. & others originated from there but sometimes abused by people with multiple title.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Damsman10(m): 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2013
neksummi: Means nothing to me. But i know of many who don't take it lightly if u didnt call their titles. Naija things sha.
Dammy: when u work very hard 2 bcome a prof. U can leave people uncorrected to call u mister or jst write ur name
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by safejourney: 3:16pm On Jul 31, 2013
That is why I respect OGBENI from Osun State. The day they are swearing in this governor, he said it in public that they should always address him as OGBENI because he came to serve the people of osun state as a servant.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by safejourney: 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2013
My question now is that, is it makes sense "when elderly person died and advert their obituary in the newspapers, by saying:-

SURVIVED CHILDREN:-

1. Prof Chukwuemeka (USA)
2. Chief Ajayi (England)
3. Dr. Petinrin (Canada)
4. Alhaji Danwawa (Chicago)
5. Barrister Chijioke (Aso Rock, Abuja)

What is the meaning of this country/city they are adding to it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by PrinceJustice(m): 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ajibel: I dont see the essence of having multiple titles. Its really senseless. Those being called that way just want people to know their status / class. I'm happy there is nuffin like Chief sotware engr bla bla or Mr Programmer/ web designer bla bla in the IT world smiley
Don't b suprised, very soon u wil see titles like: Chief Animator...
Programmer...
Web Designer...
Audio Editor...
Video/Photo Editor
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 31, 2013
Well, I have a lecturer who acts contrariwise. He is a prof but at the entrance of his office, its MR that is pasted there. All the project works he supervised bear MR as the title. He doesn't give any damn at all. Tell him thank you sir after he must have taught you or explained something to you, what you will hear with a stern look is 'why are you thanking me, I'm doing my job'. A lady was once passing and she saw the name, she started complaining to a friend that there is so much injustice in this school, that how on earth could a MR be lecturing and still not sharing an office with someone, as she was ranting, the man tip-toped to her back, tapped her at the back and invited her to his office for a lecture of her life. My own submission about it is that, title just as boasting about your age is a false way of covering your inferiority complex. A man that is great needs no title. Jesus is Jesus, the name is great cos he is great, he needs no title. When there is a need to shout your title to people, its simply means you are fast losing it

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by firestar(f): 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2013
...hm
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by thelonestranger: 9:11pm On Jul 31, 2013
safe journey: That is why I respect OGBENI from Osun State. The day they are swearing in this governor, he said it in public that they should always address him as OGBENI because he came to serve the people of osun state as a servant.

Is Ogbeni not a title. Why doesn't he tell everyone to address him as Rauf ? grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by jbanj4(m): 5:25am On Aug 01, 2013
Me sef wonder sha...... Does title take anyone to heaven?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by JW214: 5:31am On Aug 01, 2013
safe journey: That is why I respect OGBENI from Osun State. The day they are swearing in this governor, he said it in public that they should always address him as OGBENI because he came to serve the people of osun state as a servant.

Bros forget that, calling someone "Ogbeni" has nothing to do with service. The Governor of Niger state I remember too said he should be reffered to as Chief servant, in the reality, don't we know who serves and who is been served?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by JW214: 5:41am On Aug 01, 2013
rhemaplus: Well, I have a lecturer who acts contrariwise. He is a prof but at the entrance of his office, its MR that is pasted there. All the project works he supervised bear MR as the title. He doesn't give any damn at all. Tell him thank you sir after he must have taught you or explained something to you, what you will hear with a stern look is 'why are you thanking me, I'm doing my job'. A lady was once passing and she saw the name, she started complaining to a friend that there is so much injustice in this school, that how on earth could a MR be lecturing and still not sharing an office with someone, as she was ranting, the man tip-toped to her back, tapped her at the back and invited her to his office for a lecture of her life. My own submission about it is that, title just as boasting about your age is a false way of covering your inferiority complex. A man that is great needs no title. Jesus is Jesus, the name is great cos he is great, he needs no title. When there is a need to shout your title to people, its simply means you are fast losing it

In Academics, Title may be neccessary, not because of the social pride being paraded outside, but for academic profilling.

In the UK for example, if I have to call my Tutor his firstname, I don't need to put a title, "Prof Seun Osewa" is simply Seun anytime, but if I have to call his surname, I have to address him with the Title "Prof"
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Crazy About Title? by kolamilan(m): 9:43am On Aug 01, 2013
ELgordo: Damn# am 3rd or 4th or 5th . . . . . . Or 6th Front page tinz. . . # sippin my ori malu dancing Azonto#
you are just a follower why not become a leader.

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Top 10 Most Populated Churches In Nigeria / Is It Charging Point Or Charging Port? / Classic Pictures Of The Ever Changing Face Of Akwa Ibom State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.