Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? (12910 Views)

How A Nairalander Landed In D Hospital Due To Mosquito Bite..photos / Turkish Airlines Staff Dies In Istanbul Due To Nigerian Mosquito Bite (Photo) / Can Mosquito Bite Give You Hiv (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by caukerzee(m): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
undecided mosquitos dont segregate mate. That thought is just in ya head.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Kslib(m): 2:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
Check your body well,those marks might be cockroach bites and not mosquito bites.. Mosquitoes no longer bite people,all they do is just to enter your body tru your nose or ear and fetch blood in large quantity both for present and future use. New research suggests that a new tube has been found in the body which connects the nose/ear directly to our blood bank.. Mordern Mosquitoes consider biting before sucking as old fashion and it limits the quantity of blood that will be collected from the host,so they found a new way..
Humans are moving forward with discoveries,and so are mosquitoes..
wake-up bro!! This is the 21st century

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nipeks(m): 2:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mosquitoes might be more attracted to some people than the others but I don't think anybody is naturally resistant to mosquito though our body might react differently to their bites. I read somewhere that mosquitoes are more attracted to people that just eat banana.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by smileyprin(m): 2:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hayjaycity:

You are right, I can confirm that, and that is why pple with AA genotype are mostly victims of malaria attack
I can say i'm also very prone to mosquito bites nd i'm also AA though i dont know the correlation.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by 2million1(m): 2:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
sylve11: Mosquitoes belong to a group of insects that requires blood to develop fertile eggs. Males do not lay eggs, thus, male mosquitoes do not bite. The females are the egg producers and "host-seek" for a blood meal. Female mosquitoes lay multiple batches of eggs and require a blood meal for every batch they lay. Few people realize that mosquitoes rely on sugar as their main source of energy. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, fruit juices, and liquids that ooze from plants. The sugar is burned as fuel for flight and is replenished on a daily basis. Blood is reserved for egg production and is imbibed less frequently

Scientists are still investigating the complexities involved with mosquito host acceptance and rejection. Some people are highly attractive to mosquitoes and others are rarely bothered. Mosquitoes have specific requirements to satisfy, and process many different factors before they feed. Many of the mosquito?s physiological demands are poorly understood and many of the processes they use to evaluate potential blood meal hosts remain a mystery. Female mosquitoes use the CO2 we exhale as their primary cue to our location. A hostseeking mosquito is guided to our skin by following the slip stream of CO2 that exudes from our breath. Once they have landed, they rely on a number of short-range attractants to determine if we are an acceptable blood meal host. Folic acid is one chemical that appears to be particularly important. Fragrances from hair sprays, perfumes, deodorants, and soap can cover these chemical cues. They can also function to either enhance or repel the hostseeking drive. Dark colors capture heat and make most people more attractive to mosquitoes. Light colors refract heat and are generally less attractive. Detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes, and body odor can counteract the effects of color. In most cases, only the mosquito knows why one person is more attractive than another..... cool

source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080716222338AA6MKys
na only one question wer d op ask na it make u d write all dis essay?
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nightshift(m): 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
Certainly, the 25 billion+ mosquitoes in Lagos aren't choosy,they bite people without discrimination. Even in busses and taxis, the story is same. Word....
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Ocutegan(m): 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
Basic:
Stop talking trash. Mosquitoes don't discriminate, and they can bite anyone to stupor - AA, AS, or SS. But the fact is that, AS and SS bloods are resistant to the malaria parasite (plasmodium).
So, even if 100 mosquitoes bite an AS subject and only 20 bite an AA subject, the latter will manifest signs of malaria earlier than the former.
I'm not sure about your fact that AS patients are malaria immune all I know is that SS don't complain of malaria even if they start livin in some place they call shalanga cheesy
At OP you shld learn to sleep unconscious by that you won't know if anything is bitin you, take 5 wraps of igbo every night cheesy
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by lastpage: 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
If they bite you ....Bite them back! angry angry
Abi u sef no get teeth? This is WAR!

By the time they realize you are a "moskito guzzling human", they would learn to stay away! wink

BTW; Roasted Moskito are delicious with.....just wait! grin grin

GAARI! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

if they bother you too much, there are "electronic devices" that emit Ultra Sound frequencies that the female "Moskito" hates ....and thus avoid. Buy one of those and plug it in, in the room you sleep in.
Voila, you are free! I use them whenever l am around "Ajegunle or Mushin"...sorry, l mean Fee-High! shocked shocked

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
M M M: Op

What is Mosquito
It is a tropic insect that sucks human blood and transmits disease called malaria.

Probably, you are living in cold region?! I am malaria-free person though.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by isaco(m): 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
Funny thread. Lol
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
@Op

Fumigate your surroundings and use insecticide on your room. That would help to prevent mosquitoes from biting you within that vicinity.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Tropilo(m): 2:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
yuzedo: Op: Sharrapppp!!! You dey mad! Moskinto no dey bight you but you dey clame. angry

Moskinto bight only us ajebo chidrens because we eat fanta, egg, eyescream, goody-goody, etc. So awa blood she is fresh and helty. And awa skin she is fine and smooth like fried rice and shampain.cool wink smiley

But u dis jungle boys and girls eat fufu, amala, cabin, bananan and granot so muskinto don't bighted una cos you razz like awilo! angry

Your post cracked me up. I enjoyed ur joke. Well done!

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Iaz93: 2:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
binger: Seconded! even though it is not a scientific fact

It Is
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Iaz93: 2:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
Kslib: Check your body well,those marks might be cockroach bites and not mosquito bites.. Mosquitoes no longer bite people,all they do is just to enter your body tru your nose or ear and fetch blood in large quantity both for present and future use. New research suggests that a new tube has been found in the body which connects the nose/ear directly to our blood bank.. Mordern Mosquitoes consider biting before sucking as old fashion and it limits the quantity of blood that will be collected from the host,so they found a new way..

yeah...exactly...
I saw it on BBC...
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by EfemenaXY: 2:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
yuzedo: Op: Sharrapppp!!! You dey mad! Moskinto no dey bight you but you dey clame. angry

Moskinto bight only us ajebo chidrens because we eat fanta, egg, eyescream, goody-goody, etc. So awa blood she is fresh and helty. And awa skin she is fine and smooth like fried rice and shampain.cool wink smiley

But u dis jungle boys and girls eat fufu, amala, cabin, bananan and granot so muskinto don't bighted una cos you razz like awilo! angry

What a wacky response!!

Guy, this your grammar just made my day jor grin grin grin grin

@ Poster, try applying insect repellents to any exposed skin areas before going to bed. Invest in a good mosquitoe net. Both of these should work even if there's no light (power failure). You can also buy some plug-ins that emit high frequency sounds that deter mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches and most creepy-crawlies. Fortunately, this high frequency sound is not felt by the human ear.

Best of luck!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by sushieater: 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
And where is ''musKeeto'' when you need him?
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by cash22(m): 2:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
mosquito detect human body smell. probably wen its belly is filled up it wont bit the next person
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by megxo(m): 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
free2ryhme: some has sweet blood while some has sour blood
what category is your blood??
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by IfyAwazie(f): 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
fittty: Whey r there so many dumb questions on nairaland undecided
cos there are many dumb people.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by bobolekepee(m): 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
Go & buy dose insecticide dat pple uses wheelbarrow 2 hawk, dat dey alwaz advertise lyk dis... Come and see d insecticide wey dey kill mosquito well well, o n pa ayan, o pa idun, o n pa alatakun... It works well... Tested & ok wink

Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by greatgod2012(f): 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2012

this ur comment can attract mosquitoes o, beware!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
mumumugu: Its like mosquito prefer one person to another

each time i sleep, they come out from WHEREVER and ravage my legs and hand and suck away

however,those i sleep under the same roof and in the same bed arent afected while my body is swolen.

Why do they prefer to suck my blood and leave others and how can i make them loose interest in me.?

I need to see you to make some prescriptions for you....
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
U have too much sugar in ur blood hence ur blood is sweet
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
virtuoso01: I read somewhere not quite long ago that mosquitoes are attracted to people with AA Genotype much more than other Genotypes.

You can find out more about that.

What of ''BB'' Genotype. Every university girl's genotype.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by IfyAwazie(f): 3:01pm On Oct 30, 2012
2 million: na only one question wer d op ask na it make u d write all dis essay?
And u come copy everything for us to read again. D brokin sef u no sabi
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 30, 2012
Adetayo100: U have too much sugar in ur blood hence ur blood is sweet

@poster, see the guy wey dey send you mosquitoes for night!!!!
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
okpara ugo:

What of ''BB'' Genotype. Every university girl's genotype.

That one probably attract flies,at night maybe.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by IfyAwazie(f): 3:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Kslib: Check your body well,those marks might be cockroach bites and not mosquito bites.. Mosquitoes no longer bite people,all they do is just to enter your body tru your nose or ear and fetch blood in large quantity both for present and future use. New research suggests that a new tube has been found in the body which connects the nose/ear directly to our blood bank.. Mordern Mosquitoes consider biting before sucking as old fashion and it limits the quantity of blood that will be collected from the host,so they found a new way..
Na wao, u get time 2 write rubish
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by infotrust(m): 3:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
Scientific research has shown that mosquitoes bite some people more than others for several reasons, including the smells that those people give off, the chemicals on those people's skin and even how much carbon dioxide they emit while breathing. Experts estimate that mosquitoes are highly attracted to about 10 percent of all people, with those people's genetics accounting for about 85 percent of their attractiveness to mosquitoes. Other research suggests that people who are less attractive to mosquitoes emit smells and chemicals that repel the insects. As of 2012, there still was much that was not known about why mosquitoes bite some people more than others and what the people who are bitten more can do about it.
Why Mosquitoes Bite

Only female mosquitoes bite people. They do it for the blood, which contains protein and nutrients that they need either to produce eggs at all or to produce a larger batch of eggs. Before each time they produce a batch of eggs, they will seek out a blood meal. For regular meals, they feed on nectar and other juices produced by plants.
Finding Prey

A female mosquito begins locating prey by detecting carbon dioxide, which is emitted by animals when they exhale and through their skin. The mosquito uses an antenna-like structure called a maxillary palp to detect carbon dioxide from as far as 164 feet (50 m) away. At closer distances, it uses a feathery antenna to identify certain chemicals, and its nose is perforated with many tiny holes that the odors in the air can penetrate. After the mosquito has found a concentration of carbon dioxide being emitted by a person, the mosquito's sensory receptors tell it whether the combination of chemicals and odors being emitted by that person make him or her suitable prey.
Substances That Attract

Research suggests that, in addition to carbon dioxide, some of the substances that people produce and that attract mosquitoes are sweat, lactic acid, uric acid and a chemical called octenol. Lactic acid is emitted through the skin, especially during exercise. Uric acid is a product of the body metabolizing certain proteins, and most of it is excreted in urine, but excess uric acid can build up under the skin. Octenol is present in a person's sweat and breath.

Some people produce greater quantities of these substances, so mosquitoes bite some people more than others. Very large people and pregnant women generally breathe out more carbon dioxide, so they tend to be bitten more often. People who exercise outdoors produce more lactic acid, sweat more and breathe more heavily, so they also tend to suffer more mosquito bites. Many perfumes and deodorants that people to mask their natural body odors also are believed to be attractive to mosquitoes.
Substances that Repel

Commercial mosquito repellants contain various chemicals — such as N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, better known as DEET — that are believed to turn away mosquitoes by masking the user's body chemicals or by inhibiting the insects' sensory organs. Some research suggests, however, that certain substances already found on certain people's skin make those people less attractive to mosquitoes. Two such chemicals are known as geranyl acetone and 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one. Scientists have looked into the origin of these chemicals — namely, whether they are produced by the body, obtained from the environment or a combination of those methods. The existence of these chemicals found on some people's skin suggests that mosquitoes bite some people more than others not only because some people are more attractive to mosquitoes, but also because some people naturally repel them.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more-than-others.htm
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
Iaz93: mosquitoes usually prefer dirty, smelly bodies to clean ones. So check yourself.
NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a speedy condemnation!
hmmmm. But, NEXT......
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
Etumgbe: It is because u don't take ur bath before going to bed so ur smelling odour dey attract them

@Op, see as person use him hand go court for trouble for market.

Faultfinders are not your portion. Amen.
Re: Why Do Mosquito Bite Some And Leave Others? by sconsults: 3:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
mumumugu: Its like mosquito prefer one person to another

each time i sleep, they come out from WHEREVER and ravage my legs and hand and suck away

however,those i sleep under the same roof and in the same bed arent afected while my body is swolen.

Why do they prefer to suck my blood and leave others and how can i make them loose interest in me.?

[size=18pt]This is caused by demonic attacks by agents of darkness. You experience this only when you are infested by the sin of sloth(laziness) which is one of the seven deadly sins. This demon named belphegor posess you and send his minions to control your body making it attractive to insects like mosquitos. Recite the lords praye 44 times every day and sleep with a mirror painted red with the blood of a white dove to save yourself from this demonic control[/size]

Ogun Ibile To Daju / I Love This Guy But He Has Sickle Cell Anemia / Tips On Gaining Weight

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80