Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,722 members, 7,865,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:22 AM

Language Barriers In Mosques - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Language Barriers In Mosques (9173 Views)

MEND Threatens To Bomb Mosques & Assasinate Imams / Are Atheists Allowed In Mosques? / Alevi Muslims Refuse To Worship In Mosques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Youem: 7:19pm On Nov 03, 2012
igbo boy:

Makachukwu ishi madu ga da

Truely Islam will spread all over the world even if unbelievers hate that....Today we have significant number of Igbo muslims and we are very proud of them. May Allah lighten your mind to accept Islam,ameen.

4 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Fulaman198(m): 11:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
ignis: I learnt arabic is the only language that allah understand. Allah slightly understand hausa language. But english language? No way.

Allah Almighty understands all things and languages.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by U09ce: 4:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
At the time this thread was opened last year, I could not grasp but little of what the khatib was saying. But Alhamdullillah, by enrolling myself into an Arabic course in the neighborhood (almost through with the intermediate level), I can now a understand a large chunk of the khutbah. So brothers nd sisters, the best way to overcome this barrier is for us to learn this noble language. I promise you'll find it easy and interesting.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by BetaThings: 7:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
Afam4eva: Why do you think Hausa and Yoruba Muslims go to different mosques. I don't know why Mosque shy away from praying in English despite the fact that Nigeria's official language is English. I wonder how it would be if i entered a redeemed church and the pastor starts speaking in Yoruba. I think this problem is one of the reasons why Islam may never spread beyond it's present borders. How do you want to take Islam to Igboland if you don't communicate in English. I think they have to consider other people that may not be Yoruba.
The division in America is most evident on Sunday mornings when The blacks go their churches an the whites, theirs
I am not sure you have ever "fellowshipped" at Qua Iboe church or ECWA
Anyway where a mosque is situated determines what language is spoken
It is Hausa at 1004 mosque and Yoruba at Owode Onirin
I am not so sure that we can satisfy everyone - I might lose the minority in some places where there are iliterates
But it will be worth it if I can convey to the majority
BTW the imam's knowledge is an issue. Some cannot speak English
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by BetaThings: 7:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
true2god: Even if uthman dan fodio come back to life islam can never flourish in igboland. The south-east land and soil is spiritually immune to islam. I dnt knw y but dats the fact.
The south-east land and soil WAS spiritually immune to CHRISTIANITY. We DID not knw y but dat WAS the fact
This imam will deliver the sermons in different Igbo dialects (to both Iheoma and Ifeoma)
Just wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UqoOjKNj3k

And this one will encourage you to learn the language truly for Allah rather than for money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am82l6a1SjU
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Afam4eva(m): 7:57pm On Sep 02, 2013
BetaThings:
The division in America is most evident on Sunday mornings when The blacks go their churches an the whites, theirs
I am not sure you have ever "fellowshipped" at Qua Iboe church or ECWA
Anyway where a mosque is situated determines what language is spoken
It is Hausa at 1004 mosque and Yoruba at Owode Onirin
I am not so sure that we can satisfy everyone - I might lose the minority in some places where there are iliterates
But it will be worth it if I can convey to the majority
BTW the imam's knowledge is an issue. Some cannot speak English
Religion is not a business, so conveying to the majority and leaving the rest even if it's just one person is not ideal. There's a reason why we have Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa translators in a lot of Nigerian churches. The word must get to as many people as possible. So, what you're telling me is that, if as an Igbo man living in Lagos and i convert to islam, that i will have to learn Yoruba or Hausa to be able to attend a mosque. That's not right imo. That's the reason why the population of Islam will keep reducing while the population of Christianity will keep increasing. It's not because the latter is better but because the latter is more open to any kind of people. So, whether you speak English, Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa, Edo, Ogoni, Swahili, you're covered. I think young Muslim leaders need to start opening Islam up to the world.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by BetaThings: 8:05pm On Sep 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Religion is not a business, so conveying to the majority and leaving the rest even if it's just one person is not ideal. There's a reason why we have Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa translators in a lot of Nigerian churches. The word must get to as many people as possible. So, what you're telling me is that, if as an Igbo man living in Lagos and i convert to islam, that i will have to learn Yoruba or Hausa to be able to attend a mosque. That's not right imo. That's the reason why the population of Islam will keep reducing while the population of Christianity will keep increasing. It's not because the latter is better but because the latter is more open to any kind of people. So, whether you speak English, Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa, Edo, Ogoni, Swahili, you're covered. I think young Muslim leaders need to start opening Islam up to the world.
The sermon in Dawanau market cannot be in English; neither will it be in English only in Ariaria market
What is the purpose of dogo turenchi when 75% of the audience cannot understand
The solution is not the sermon but the education of the congregation

I was born into Islam, but if I go to India and most of them don't understand English, what will happen to me?
I will have to enjoy the khutbah in urdu
The fact is that
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Afam4eva(m): 8:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
BetaThings:
The sermon in Dawanau market cannot be in English; neither will it be in English only in Ariaria market
What is the purpose of dogo turenchi when 75% of the audience cannot understand
The solution is not the sermon but the education of the congregation

I was born into Islam, but if I go to India and most of them don't understand English, what will happen to me?
I will have to enjoy the khutbah in urdu
The fact is that
There are still exclusive Yoruba and Igbo churches. That's understandable because they have a target audience and these kind of churches are found where these people are a majority. But consider a mosque in a place like Ikeja for example. How will an Igbo person attend if the sermons are in Yoruba or Hausa. Why not have the sermons in English and a Yoruba translator or atleast provide an alternative for these people. Afterall the aim iss to spread Islam. From what i've learned, islam comes with a lot of baggage. By this i mean that for someone to become a Muslims, one invaribaly learns the culture associated with islam which happens to be Arabic or the local language of islam in a particular vicinity. People should not be forced to acculturate due to religion. Religion should always be separated from culture.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by BetaThings: 8:21pm On Sep 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
There are still exclusive Yoruba and Igbo churches. That's understandable because they have a target audience and these kind of churches are found where these people are a majority. But consider a mosque in a place like Ikeja for example. How will an Igbo person attend if the sermons are in Yoruba or Hausa. Why not have the sermons in English and a Yoruba translator or atleast provide an alternative for these people. Afterall the aim iss to spread Islam. From what i've learned, islam comes with a lot of baggage. By this i mean that for someone to become a Muslims, one invaribaly learns the culture associated with islam which happens to be Arabic or the local language of islam in a particular vicinity. People should not be forced to acculturate due to religion. Religion should always be separated from culture.
The first part of your post I unmdertand and cannot fault
But as for the culture being Arab, I disagree
There was a thread on NL where in Nigeria, in 2013, a community kill twins
https://www.nairaland.com/1239817/villages-abuja-still-kill-twins
This is the type of thing that Arabs practised - they did not like female offspring - that Islam came to abrogate
So some Islamic practices - another example is the call to worship Allah alone - are actually anti-Arab
BTW reading Things Fall Apart, did you notice the "baggage" of Christianity in Igboland?

2 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Fulaman198(m): 12:04am On Sep 03, 2013
Very interesting thread. I personally think that a Mosque should have no language barrier. Some Christians say that Muslims are not reaching out to others via language, but that isn't exactly true. The Qu'ran is written in other languages besides Arabic. There are worldwide translations everywhere.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Mustay(m): 10:14am On Sep 03, 2013
The Lekki Mosque is ARABIC, ENGLISH, HAUSA & YORUBA. In Paris, it's French and Arabic. The locals do matter otherwise the message 'll be lost. Ultimately, the need to learn Arabic is inexcusable; no matter how long, it should still be a mission.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is Al-mahdi, The Savior Of The Last Hour?! / Ruling On Wearing Shoes/Sandals When Performing Salat / Is Smoking Cigarettes Haraam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.