Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria (1306 Views)

Photo Of A Bride Busy Pinging With BB On Her Wedding Day In The Church! / Has Nairaland Impacted Your Life In Any Way? / If The Average Income In Nigeria Is $1 A Day, Are Nairalanders Rich Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by Godogwu: 12:37am On Oct 31, 2012
It's almost a tune to everyone who wants to post something concerning the wealth gap between the poor and the rich in Nigeria: " while 90% of the population live on less than $1 a day..........." . I'm not in any way disputing the fact that maybe there might be people who live that way but I strongly believe they have another means of getting food ( farming). I tried hard to reason if its possible in any way but It just doesn't fall into place. $1 a day is about N160 or less ; if someone can explain if this is truly possible, I would appreciate it..... It would be really informing.
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by amosy007: 12:46am On Oct 31, 2012
Dey only use those rubbish stat to discredit nigeria as a nation or its government..
Any sane human being knws that it's all rubbish..not even when d price of petrol is almost a dollar ..

Even those women that work with mama put or sweep public places goes home with atleast 500 and above which is 3USD and above

2 Likes

Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by dominique(f): 8:44am On Oct 31, 2012
Could be applicable for a child but for an adult, utterly impossible except if the person eats once a day.
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by 360command: 9:07am On Oct 31, 2012
Lol @ d second comment.Yes People live less than a dollar a day. If i am to ask you questions, do you live alone in nigeria? Have you been unemployed? Have u ever been in a situation where you eat today&your tomorrow you may not know if u will eat? If Yes to this, how do you get money when d world do not mind you?once upon a time i ve lived on less than a dollar.i never believed that such statistics were true.life is hard for many people.have you gone to d market to cook soup with 200naira? I have.a soup wit no meat but ejanla(smoked fish).i really do not want to remember back at those days,all i do know,alot of people are suffering.
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by dominique(f): 12:49pm On Oct 31, 2012
^^^ But N200 is still more than 1 dollar and we've not added what you ate the soup with. What the op is asking is if you can survive on less than N150 in a day. How is that possible?
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 1:01pm On Oct 31, 2012
In the morning: Agege bread (N30), and akara (N10) = N40. N120 left
In the afternoon, a sachet of garri plus sugar and pure water = N30. N90 left.
In the evening, 2 wraps of Eba @ N20 a pop, plus 1 piece of meat @N20 = N60.

Balance of N30 left. For this person, you're gonna have to walk to wherever you are going.

So, it is possible in theory. Just don't get sick.
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by dominique(f): 4:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
AjanleKoko: In the morning: Agege bread (N30), and akara (N10) = N40. N120 left
In the afternoon, a sachet of garri plus sugar and pure water = N30. N90 left.
In the evening, 2 wraps of Eba @ N20 a pop, plus 1 piece of meat @N20 = N60.

Balance of N30 left. For this person, you're gonna have to walk to wherever you are going.

So, it is possible in theory. Just don't get sick.

i dont think you can get agege bread cheaper than N50 these days. A cup of garri goes for N30 (I think) and sugar is N10. In practical, the only way the less than $1 is obtainable with your analysis is if you feed the 101, 011 or 110 pattern .
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2012
dominique:

i dont think you can get agege bread cheaper than N50 these days. A cup of garri goes for N30 (I think) and sugar is N10. In practical, the only way the less than $1 is obtainable with your analysis is if you feed the 101, 011 or 110 pattern .

There goes your balance of N30:

In the morning: Agege bread (N50), and akara (N10) = N60. N100 left
In the afternoon, a sachet of garri plus sugar and pure water = N40. N60 left.
In the evening, 2 wraps of Eba @ N20 a pop, plus 1 piece of meat @N20 = N60. N0 left.

In reality you need to drink at least one sachet of pure water per meal, so you will most likely be able to afford only one wrap of eba and meat. or 2 eba, no meat.
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

There goes your balance of N30:

In the morning: Agege bread (N50), and akara (N10) = N60. N100 left
In the afternoon, a sachet of garri plus sugar and pure water = N40. N60 left.
In the evening, 2 wraps of Eba @ N20 a pop, plus 1 piece of meat @N20 = N60. N0 left.

In reality you need to drink at least one sachet of pure water per meal, so you will most likely be able to afford only one wrap of eba and meat. or 2 eba, no meat.

did the no meat thing wella in uni - to save money. i remember this one day i went to a buka and ordered rice with no meat. the seller took one look at me and added meat for me - she thought it was condition not choice
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:49pm On Oct 31, 2012
oyb:

did the no meat thing wella in uni - to save money. i remember this one day i went to a buka and ordered rice with no meat. the seller took one look at me and added meat for me - she thought it was condition not choice

cheesy cheesy
Tell me about it. How many times in uni did I start and end the day with N10? Generally survive on garri and kulikuli, especially during exam periods.
Occasional beans grin
Though N10 was different back in the '90s sha wink

1 Like

Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by amosy007: 6:00pm On Oct 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy
Tell me about it. How many times in uni did I start and end the day with N10? Generally survive on garri and kulikuli, especially during exam periods.
Occasional beans grin
Though N10 was different back in the '90s sha wink
yeah in the 90s.. Life is still quite simple then.. Until democracy and fuel subsidy destroyed everything.. I remembered my high school days.. With just 50-70naira u get to enjoy urself to d fullest.. Buy 5 or 7naira bread 3naira moin moin.. Break time eat 5naira rice, 2naira beans, 2naira spag, 2 for 5naira meat, then 5 naira lolly to step it down.. U still have like 20 or 30 naira on u to buy buscuit,sweet and to transport urself back home...
1-dollar is not even upto 150 den.. I tink its around 80 to hundred..
Democracy took it all
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 31, 2012
Three big meals a day?! That's too much now!

Morning - Ogi 20box Akara 10box
Lunch - Beans 50box and garri 20x
Dinner Eba 50b0x , meat 20box.

Done deal
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
Man i feel like crying for the Naira. I remember spending only N50 daily on feeding back in my first year at UNN in the year 2000. N15 Okpa/akara and bread in the morning, N15 Santana (fufu) without meat for lunch and N20 yam and rice at night.

Then at beach area (After Zik flats/Jives) the bigger boys who ate at better quality restaurants would eat rice, beans, meat and plantain for about N70 a plate with their girlfriends.

Una for allow Soludo redenominate this currency oh!
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by amosy007: 8:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
naijababe: Three big meals a day?! That's too much now!

Morning - Ogi 20box Akara 10box
Lunch - Beans 50box and garri 20x
Dinner Eba 50b0x , meat 20box.

Done deal
u definately wont go to work or schoool
Re: Is It In Any Way Possible To Live On $1 A Day In Nigeria by Wallie(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
You also have to take the people with zero income into consideration as they bring the average amount spent per family per day down! Keep in mind that the $1 figure is the average spent across all families and that equates to an average income of NGN57,326 per family.

Also, isn't the often quoted figure $2?

(1) (Reply)

What Is Nairaland Doing About Pyguru's Banning? / Abor..tion Things In UNN / Etisalat 120 Gb For A Year Get Yours Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.