Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating (5265 Views)

What Is The Average Monthly Rate Of A Freelance Web Developer? / Afrisofts' SERVER22.COM Is Frustrating Our Business. / Free Professional Website Development Is Started For 2012. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by bigx(m): 2:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
hotwax: The worst part of it is, clients don't know what they want. You will create content for them, concept and they will keep changing things till eternity.

Because you let them
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
stagger: Your problem is advertising. You have to get the word out to those who need your services.

I am oooooo, maybe not enouugh
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:22pm On Nov 05, 2012
OkwaIfugo: @OP your right.
just give me your own personal website or at least 1 or 2 works you have done lets see what happens.

Don't worry because soon you will get jobs and run away.

I took it down out of frustration shocked

hmmmm, what's your email? I can show you
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
petaling: Why not go into mobile apps development. You can choose blackberry 10 and Android platform.

Strongly considering that smiley
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:24pm On Nov 05, 2012
webdezzi: one trick is to not give up on the smallest of your clients.

I have had bigger potential clients who dissapointed
not 5, not 10 but as far as i can recollect, like 30.
Spent over 250k + energy + time pursuing projects from NAICOM, UAC, Higher institutions, Intel & FMCT, buying expensive suits, renting cars, taking flights etc
I even went for the FG Youwin shortlist training (I still believe this scheme is fraudulent)

Most times, your real big clients come from the lest expected person. maybe a simple referral from a client who wants just a 50k website
winners dont quit is not for the saying, practice it!

Thank you for that smiley
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2012
Joe980: @OP, how much do you charge for a web job?

That depends on what kind of job it is.
bigx: You focus more on unimportant things than on marketing, if you want to make money out of anything learn to market.
I normally see your posts on nairaland and you and the other developers spend the whole time nit-picking and critiscising other client's work. What is really important at the end of the road is what the client wants, the client doesn't care if its divs or tables you use to achieve that.
I started with the development path but flunked it to learn how to sell and I can swear, that'd pay you loads more.

Well, I am not good enough, but up to this level I am.... I know what is right from what is wrong and whenever you see me criticize, it means the job makes no sense at all. I love been criticized too! It makes me work harder
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
daa1:

can we see your previous designs and your contact?

Would share previous work via Email.

Thanks smiley
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
hotwax: The worst part of it is, clients don't know what they want. You will create content for them, concept and they will keep changing things till eternity.

That one is normal and should be welcomed if you are surely ready to work well with them.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by solutions247(m): 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
petaling: Why not go into mobile apps development. You can choose blackberry 10 and Android platform.
please tel me hw kud 1 make money 4rm developing apps.dos dis requires knowledge of java?
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
greenmouse:

FG YOUWIN is not fraudulent, Am a winner(awardee) and am moving on with scheme.

Visit www.greenmousetech.com to see proof.

imagine, what is innovative about website design services and training that you offer?
at the training, i was able to meet loads of guys with innovative ideas in my sector, all not chosen.

forget the argument. we know how things run in Naija.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Guk: 4:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
I maybe wrong but i suspect that what is lacking and therefore leading to a lot of frustration experienced by both Developer and Customer is lack of proper definition.

Definition of requirements (Business Requirements; Functional requirements; Usability requirements)

Definition of scope etc.

No matter how little, every development should obey the cycle of Requirements Specification; Architecture; Design; Implementation; Thorough Testing; Debugging; Deployment. ( Maintenance is a value adding you might want to take on) The value of maintenance is that you get good experience on the job that even helps you to better design and develop in future.

Anyway, enough said. If you honestly have the abilities you are boasting about, go to www.dealzng.com They are planning a makeover to go live by 1st of December and email your interest for an RFP to info@eandmbusinesssolutions.com who are project managing the makeover.

All the best

2 Likes

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 10:34pm On Nov 05, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by bigx(m): 10:39pm On Nov 05, 2012
webdezzi:

imagine, what is innovative about website design services and training that you offer?
at the training, i was able to meet loads of guys with innovative ideas in my sector, all not chosen.

They'd support ideas with smaller risk of failure #justsaying. I didn't apply or participate so I won't know for sure.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 8:46am On Nov 06, 2012
webdezzi:

Am sure you are just very angry bc you were not chosen, I know you applied with web design but was not chosen simply bc of this reasons:

1. Lack of packaging on your own end eg compare: http://www.greenmousetech.com (my website) and http://www.webdezzi.com/(your website) and see the packaging for yourself.
2. You are not the same with me bc am into serious money making biz like outdoor training check http://www.greenmousetech.com/out-door-training.html
3. Confirm how much you make every month and how many people you already employed before applying for youwin
4. Finally, your business is never profitable enough thus they did not choose you QED, stop saying bad things about us the FG pikin, lolz.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 11:08am On Nov 06, 2012
Greenmouse, I've asked you some questions several times. You won't just answer... Hmmm
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by NumberOne2(m): 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
Dude, WEB DESIGN is a business. Your frustration isn't about web design, it about starting a busines.
Everyone knows its tought starting a business in any part of the World, its particularly hard in Nigeria. So, it isn't about the WEB DESIGN at such.

Build your business skills because even if you enter a new line of business and you don't have business skills, you'll may be frustrated there also.

Note the following:
To be taken seriously in business you have to LOOK, TALK and ACT like a business man. Keep to time. If a meeting is for 11:00, be there at 10:45. Be a man of your word.

DRESSING is 80%: Wearing slippers and a T-Shirt and asking someone to pay 100K for a site will not work. Even if you don't have a car, or aren't handsome, dress smart and sharp.

COMPOSURE: Take charge and spell out the terms from the start. Tell the client about the content and editing from the start. Be patient and act like an expert. These guys don't know jack about ICT and can easily be intimidated.

BE HONEST: Let the client see that you are honest. Yes you need to make money but let the focus of the discussion no be money. Act like a BIG BOY that doesn't really care about the money. Focus more on the work and features that you hope to impliment before you talk about the price.

FINALLY: Telling someone that a site is 80K will chase the client away. Break it down. Hosting is N20K per year. The design is N40K (one time payment), I need to hire a graphics guy at N20K. The client sees what the 80K is for. Spell it all out.

3 Likes

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2012
sisqology: Greenmouse, I've asked you some questions several times. You won't just answer... Hmmm

What question, pls ask me again, can't remember any ?
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by valdubem(m): 12:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
greenmouse:

FG YOUWIN is not fraudulent, Am a winner(awardee) and am moving on with scheme.

Visit www.greenmousetech.com to see proof.

my broda can I have ur contact, I'll like to discuss biz with U. my e-mail is duwaxer@yahoo.com
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by valdubem(m): 12:58pm On Nov 06, 2012
greenmouse:

Am sure you are just very angry bc you were not chosen, I know you applied with web design but was not chosen simply bc of this reasons:

1. Lack of packaging on your own end eg compare: http://www.greenmousetech.com (my website) and http://www.webdezzi.com/(your website) and see the packaging for yourself.
2. You are not the same with me bc am into serious money making biz like outdoor training check http://www.greenmousetech.com/out-door-training.html
3. Confirm how much you make every month and how many people you already employed before applying for youwin
4. Finally, your business is never profitable enough thus they did not choose you QED, stop saying bad things about us the FG pikin, lolz.

webdezzi.com; guy this website needs serious overhaul. pls let d owner know
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 5:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
Number_One: Dude, WEB DESIGN is a business. Your frustration isn't about web design, it about starting a busines.
Everyone knows its tought starting a business in any part of the World, its particularly hard in Nigeria. So, it isn't about the WEB DESIGN at such.

Build your business skills because even if you enter a new line of business and you don't have business skills, you'll may be frustrated there also.

Note the following:
To be taken seriously in business you have to LOOK, TALK and ACT like a business man. Keep to time. If a meeting is for 11:00, be there at 10:45. Be a man of your word.

DRESSING is 80%: Wearing slippers and a T-Shirt and asking someone to pay 100K for a site will not work. Even if you don't have a car, or aren't handsome, dress smart and sharp.

COMPOSURE: Take charge and spell out the terms from the start. Tell the client about the content and editing from the start. Be patient and act like an expert. These guys don't know jack about ICT and can easily be intimidated.

BE HONEST: Let the client see that you are honest. Yes you need to make money but let the focus of the discussion no be money. Act like a BIG BOY that doesn't really care about the money. Focus more on the work and features that you hope to impliment before you talk about the price.

FINALLY: Telling someone that a site is 80K will chase the client away. Break it down. Hosting is N20K per year. The design is N40K (one time payment), I need to hire a graphics guy at N20K. The client sees what the 80K is for. Spell it all out.

Hmmmmmm, nice!
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 5:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
Number_One: Dude, WEB DESIGN is a business. Your frustration isn't about web design, it about starting a busines.

Note the following:

Hmmmmmm, nice!
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
greenmouse:

What question, pls ask me again, can't remember any ?

Can I get ur contact pls? Or mail at scuby1000@gmail dot com; so, I'd get ur contact
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by guru01(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2012
Wow, i don't know what to add because they have said it all, but I thing you need to do is get a job.
Then you can be a little bit financially free, also that will allow you to plan ahead.
Don't forget to Network with people.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by utimatedes(m): 12:03am On Nov 07, 2012
Did I hear Wedezzi say YouWIN is not real? My guy don't say that again. YouWIN is real and is not for unserious element.
I applied as a web design and development company and I won. You have to prove that you have what it takes to run business and employ people.

@Greenmouse, I don't thing his site was what made him not to win. We have 30% of the awardees as new business with nothing to show for it. What matters is how you prove to them that you have the skills to manage people and resources given to you.

So the reason for him not making it is that his business plan was not well-written.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Skulboy(m): 12:08am On Nov 07, 2012
hotwax:

By the way, who removed table out of HTML elements? Table has its purpose. Do not misinform upcoming developers.

As to the topic, what I will say is: nigerian web developers are desperate and becoming too cheap. I saw A̶̲̥̅​ guy doing A̶̲̥̅​ website of 8000naira for A̶̲̥̅​ big boutique. I was angry when I heard it.

Anyways its poverty.

N8k. That's too bad.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 07, 2012
@greenmouse, just cut that crap right there ok!

i last updated my website http://www.webdezzi.com in 2008, reason best known to me. Yes, that was a 5 year old design beside yours.
I am sure you have a very poor discerning sense, and that's why YOU, a website design company CEO thinks your website => http://www.greenmousetech.com
can compete in this age, While others may praise that site, if i own that, it'll be thinking of revamping it right now.

We have some projects at the moment and we have not been able to complete our new website. i dont care how long it takes us.
what matters is how well.

For your info, I did not put up webdesign or training for youwin cos to me, there is nothing innovative about it, it's everywhere.

Confirm how much you make every month and how many people you already employed before applying for youwin
i dont have to post my achievements on a public forums

1 Like

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 8:32am On Nov 07, 2012
Skulboy:

N8k. That's too bad.

Bad Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Codedhacker(m): 8:43am On Nov 07, 2012
One of the Best & most popular Way to earn money from the internet is by Selling LR... Visit www./08oMX Register there & Contact me IF you have any Problem with it... IF U have register, comment & I'll teach U how to earn & sell LR... NOTE:- Always Use a PC to Login to the site...
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Codedhacker(m): 8:43am On Nov 07, 2012
One of the Best & most popular Way to earn money from the internet is by Selling LR... Visit http://www./08oMX Register there & Contact me IF you have any Problem with it... IF U have register, comment & I'll teach U how to earn & sell LR... NOTE:- Always Use a PC to Login to the site...
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 12:18pm On Nov 07, 2012
val_dubem:

my broda can I have ur contact, I'll like to discuss biz with U. my e-mail is duwaxer@yahoo.com

my email is info@greenmousetech.com
my numbers are 08063786241 or 08097291183

Victor Nwadinobi
www.greenmousetech.com
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 12:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
sisqology:

Can I get ur contact pls? Or mail at scuby1000@gmail dot com; so, I'd get ur contact

my email is info@greenmousetech.com
my numbers are 08063786241 or 08097291183

Victor Nwadinobi
www.greenmousetech.com
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2012
utimatedes: Did I hear Wedezzi say YouWIN is not real? My guy don't say that again. YouWIN is real and is not for unserious element.
I applied as a web design and development company and I won. You have to prove that you have what it takes to run business and employ people.

@Greenmouse, I don't thing his site was what made him not to win. We have 30% of the awardees as new business with nothing to show for it. What matters is how you prove to them that you have the skills to manage people and resources given to you.

So the reason for him not making it is that his business plan was not well-written.

Am only showing him that he needs more packaging.....lolz

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Blog Doesn't Currently Qualify For Adsense - Pls Explain / How Do I Hyperlink On Smf Forum / Virtual Terminal Network Is Down! Hacked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.