Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? (18582 Views)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Yoruba Is My Mother Language. / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by ZUBBYNWA(m): 1:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
How do you call it in your mother language?

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by StarFlux: 5:27pm On Oct 31, 2012
Sprettert (Norwegian). English word for it I think is slingshot.
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by seunfly: 5:49pm On Oct 31, 2012
It is called ófáa ó ni robá, you can also call it kànàkànà in yoruba language.

12 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by ifyalways(f): 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
Udo okwute in igbo.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
Doti in my Anambra area.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by odumchi: 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
Katapọt.

21 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by slimyem: 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
Its called "Tatibahun" in my dialect..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Nobody: 2:04am On Nov 02, 2012
flecha in cv criole
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by mimima(f): 5:51pm On Nov 02, 2012
odumchi: Katapọt.

Lmao.............ngligbo

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by mimima(f): 5:52pm On Nov 02, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Doti in my Anambra area.

You're correct
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 02, 2012
lol @ katapot!!

I don't know what it's called in Yoruba
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by odumchi: 3:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
Lol that's what we call it where I come from. We don't have an indigenous name for it, atleast not one that I know of.
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by JallowBah(f): 5:50pm On Nov 03, 2012
StarFlux: Sprettert (Norwegian). English word for it I think is slingshot.

What the? Another norwegian?
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
sele (sesotho) catapulta (portuguese)
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2012
odumchi: Lol that's what we call it where I come from. We don't have an indigenous name for it, atleast not one that I know of.
I thought katapot was more pidgin than it is Igbo. Ask ur elders, I'm sure there's a name for it in Igbo lang.
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by odumchi: 11:56pm On Nov 03, 2012
Shollypopz:
I thought katapot was more pidgin than it is Igbo. Ask ur elders, I'm sure there's a name for it in Igbo lang.

I thought so too but then I asked a few of my older relatives and they all told me that it was called "katapot". In fact, when I was a small kid growing up in my hometown, I didn't know it as anything other than that. The thing with the Igbo language is that things often go by different names depending on what area of Igboland you're in. For example, Odenigbo said that in Anambra it's called "doti" but if you came to my town in Abia and said "doti", I would have no idea what you were talking about.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by StarFlux: 12:10am On Nov 04, 2012
JallowBah:

What the? Another norwegian?
yes oo, u2?

also, "katapot" very funny!
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by JallowBah(f): 11:30am On Nov 04, 2012
StarFlux: yes oo, u2?

also, "katapot" very funny!

Nooo, thats the HUGE one they used in the war that looks like a bigger version of this one, and its "katapult". Lol.
Are you a nigerian in Norway, or a norwegian in a Naija-forum?

...edit: I see now that you were answering someone else about katapot, but hey, still funny that its so much like the big one.
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by StarFlux: 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2012
JallowBah:

Nooo, thats the HUGE one they used in the war that looks like a bigger version of this one, and its "katapult". Lol.
Are you a nigerian in Norway, or a norwegian in a Naija-forum?

...edit: I see now that you were answering someone else about katapot, but hey, still funny that its so much like the big one.
I'm half grin
I am still laughing about katapot, hope the laughter doesn't kill me.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by JallowBah(f): 11:26pm On Nov 04, 2012
StarFlux: I'm half grin
I am still laughing about katapot, hope the laughter doesn't kill me.

Lol.

I see..I am fully norwegian, married to a gambian, enjoyin a naija-forum. Thats life!

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by StarFlux: 12:11am On Nov 05, 2012
JallowBah:

Lol.

I see..I am fully norwegian, married to a gambian, enjoyin a naija-forum. Thats life!
Awesome cheesy!
You are the first Norwegian I have encountered here. Nice to meet you cheesy
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by JallowBah(f): 10:53am On Nov 05, 2012
StarFlux: Awesome cheesy!
You are the first Norwegian I have encountered here. Nice to meet you cheesy

And it is probably no more than us, and thank you, right back at yawink
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by tunapawizzy: 1:29pm On Nov 06, 2012
i'm from England, we call it catapult

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by tunapawizzy: 1:30pm On Nov 06, 2012
Shollypopz: lol @ katapot!!

I don't know what it's called in Yoruba
ofa
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by KingOfNairaland: 1:31pm On Nov 06, 2012
G-string tongue

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by TableLeg(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2012
Genclerberligi undecided
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Remii(m): 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
kanna kanna - YORUBA (dodo dodo)
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by TheMatrix3: 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
in Anambala its "Donti" wink
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by BashMe1(m): 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
Akpa Amu in Igbo tongue

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by CHIMSKY(m): 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
ZUBBYNWA: How do you call it in your mother language?
I think you meant "Mother tongue"
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
If JAMB ask me for the synonym of "catapult" without giving me options A - D, I'd write:

"Sling" grin
Re: How Do You Call It In Your Mother Language? by bigboy3: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
Ritsa in Suomi ( Finnish)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Take Isese Festival Elsewhere, Kwara Police Urges Worshippers / Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? / Quit Secret Societies - Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi Tells Yoruba Monarchs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.