Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,192 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Is Feminism Really Un-african? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Feminism Really Un-african? (3040 Views)

Is Feminism 'Un-African'? / I Hate What Feminism Has Become / How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2012
kikuyu1: [b]Feminism is what happens when a group of ugly frigid women invent a reason to externalise their neurotic anger.[/b]Even a child can see with a casual glance its internal contradictions,non sequiturs and displaced anger at its root. In Africa women had their roles and many societies were actually matriarchies. Women were always valued for their role;its only the overly Western exposed who think otherwise and demand American style '
rights and privileges'.
I thought long and hard about showing this photo but will only give the link cause its a little NSFW.You've all heard of FGM-here's the traditional bantu version where the same parts are actually elongated.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/08/the-mahogany-princess.html
Btw,that double headed male circumcision is also for her benefit.
Please explain how the society in which this practice developed 'discriminates/marginalises/ignores' women. This is done all over bantu Africa,except Kenya where we have much HOA influence and hence circumcise.

Now this is absolutely not necessary. I am very proud of the women suffrage that aided in putting things to action. And in a bid to vilify Africans, let's not downplay some frightening roles women had to play. As much as we can cite examples of matrilineal superiority, most of Africa had obvious imbalance between the status of men and women.
Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
shymexx:

My point is that most women want to be feminists, however, the craze has hoodwinked them into selective application of the ideology to just fighting men for equality at home and in the corporate world... If you want to be an extreme feminist, it's fine by me... How about apply feminism into revolutionary ideas and play a leading role to effect a change in the inequality in our society? Why can't we have these feminists at the forefront of the fight against poverty, injustice, bad governance, corruption etc.. in our society? They also need to apply these feminist ideologies to that - and not leave men alone as the face of the struggle...

Real African/black "feminists" before western feminism were at the forefront of fighting the system and effecting revolutions... Harriet Tubman, Queen mother Mary, Aba women, Efunroye Tinubu etc.. Why can't our modern day feminists do the same?

Our society? That is a cause that includes males? Naa. cheesy They won't be called feminists again but activists. cheesy Feminists fight for only causes affecting females. Unless you term the causes 'fight against female poverty', 'fight against bad governance to women', lol.

As per my stand to this feminism issue, refer to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/109246/femininity-vs-feminism/2#1910496
Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by ifyalways(f): 9:18pm On Nov 03, 2012
After going through the thread, I think that black women are natural feminists,we don't need an official movement to assert that.I don't share an affinity with feminism because i believe it's devoid of what I think is the greatest strenght of black women : our ability to nurture ,raise and build strong families.

Feminism works to reaffirm hierachy when it's supposed to be creating change.i can live with womanists,activisits but Feminists undecided especially the radical ones.
Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by Nobody: 2:21am On Nov 04, 2012
stillwater:
Our society? That is a cause that includes males? Naa. cheesy They won't be called feminists again but activists. cheesy Feminists fight for only causes affecting females. Unless you term the causes 'fight against female poverty', 'fight against bad governance to women', lol.

As per my stand to this feminism issue, refer to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/109246/femininity-vs-feminism/2#1910496

It seems you don't understand my point, or probably I didn't articulate it succinctly enough...

My point is that, if feminism equals to gender equality between male and female - why are African feminists not applying that ideology into activism, since it's MALE DOMINATED? African women of the past who fought for gender equality before "Feminism" were also at the forefront of fighting against social injustices in their communities, they never allowed the men to outdo them, why can't our modern day eurocentric feminists do the same?

Perhaps, the ideology is only for lucrative purposes... If you want equality, let it be across the board, not just selective application of the ideology...

Activism is male dominated, we also need EQUALITY in that field as well... grin
Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by Nobody: 2:21am On Nov 04, 2012
ifyalways: After going through the thread, I think that black women are natural feminists,we don't need an official movement to assert that.I don't share an affinity with feminism because i believe it's devoid of what I think is the greatest strenght of black women : our ability to nurture ,raise and build strong families.

Feminism works to reaffirm hierachy when it's supposed to be creating change.i can live with womanists,activisits but Feminists undecided especially the radical ones.

Interesting... I concur.
Re: Is Feminism Really Un-african? by kikuyu1(m): 5:52pm On Nov 06, 2012
stillwater:

Now this is absolutely not necessary. I am very proud of the women suffrage that aided in putting things to action. And in a bid to vilify Africans, let's not downplay some frightening roles women had to play. As much as we can cite examples of matrilineal superiority, most of Africa had obvious imbalance between the status of men and women.
Womanism,feminism,female activism is all BS! Fyi,Switzerland only enacted women's voting in all cantons in,wait for it,the 1970s!! Were they starving or suffering as contemporary dogma would explain that situation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_suffrage_in_Switzerland
Investigate everything! African women aren't suffering due to their gender which I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/08/the-mahogany-princess.html
That was traditional African culture. Are those women suffering in any way?
Those false narratives are driven by the usual Euro misconceptions conceived in underlying racism.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Teach Me Your Language / Ritual Beheading In Nigeria / Igbo Culture In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.