Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? (726 Views)

Get Neco 2015 Mathematics Answers B4 Entering Exam Hall Into Ur Phone / Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? / “war Against English Words Entering Yoruba”! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? by loveslife(f): 12:07am On Nov 01, 2012
hi all!

I have dis concern and I would lik

e to be cleared on here. its about wearing of footwears into ones house,( especially d dirty ones) by visitors. is it wrong or right? if right, why is it right. b glad if dis topic makes it to front page
Re: Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 01, 2012
In my household and culture...(Jamaican - I think that the large influx of Asians to the Caribbean is the root to this practice there but yeah anyway..)

...it is a sign of respect. It's kind of like a way to show that you come in peace so to speak. Like that "mi casa es tu casa" (my house is your house) mentality. Taking off your shoes is another way of humbling yourself and acknowledging your host's home as sacred.

I like the idea tbh and will continue to practice this.
Every guest must take 'em off. cool
Re: Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? by odumchi: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? by odumchi: 9:43am On Nov 01, 2012
*Kails*:
In my household and culture...(Jamaican - I think that the large influx of Asians to the Caribbean is the root to this practice there but yeah anyway..)

...it is a sign of respect. It's kind of like a way to show that you come in peace so to speak. Like that "mi casa es tu casa" (my house is your house) mentality. Taking off your shoes is another way of humbling yourself and acknowledging your host's home as sacred.

I like the idea tbh and will continue to practice this.
Every guest must take 'em off. cool

Kindly repost this in the linked thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(1)

Actors’ Fees In United States/nigeria 2013! Cruise Earns $75m, Genevieve N2m / Male Vs Female Circumcision / Yoruba Are Blessed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.