Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? (10977 Views)

Is It Compulsory To Remove Your Shoes Before Going Into Someone's House? / Remove Your Footwear!! / Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by loveslife(f): 7:55am On Nov 01, 2012
Hi all,

I have this concern and I would like it to be cleared on here.

It's about wearing of footwear into ones house,(especially the dirty ones) by visitors.

Is it wrong or right? If right, why is it right. I'll be glad if this topic makes it to front page. . .I need more contribution. oe
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by k2039: 8:26am On Nov 01, 2012
I cant remember the last time my feet touched the ground,I dont walk bare footed,so I dont off my sandals when I'm entering into someones house and I dont expect them to off their's when they entering into mine

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Odunnu: 8:57am On Nov 01, 2012
love$life:
hi all!

I have dis concern and I would lik

e to be cleared on here. its about wearing of footwears into ones house,( especially d dirty ones) by visitors. is it wrong or right? if right, why is it right. b glad if dis topic makes it to front page. nid more contribution.
Front page please!
tongue
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by odumchi: 9:39am On Nov 01, 2012
love$life:
hi all!

I have dis concern and I would like to be cleared on here. its about wearing of footwears into ones house,( especially d dirty ones) by visitors. is it wrong or right? if right, why is it right. b glad if dis topic makes it to front page. nid more contribution.

I think it depends on the type of house that you have and on your ability to clean. If you have a natural/sand/dirt floor, then don't expect people to walk around barefoot lol. However, if your floor is wood decking or tiled, then it's really up to you (in my opinion).

Next time, please make use of this thread if you'd like to see a topic on the homepage: https://www.nairaland.com/1004554/promoting-culture-board-frontpage
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Afam4eva(m): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2012
It's a sign of respect. But some people will insist that you enter with your shoe.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2012
Heck NO!!!

However, if the house has a white rug, then I think its only sensible to remove your footware at the door..
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by ghettodreamz(m): 10:44am On Nov 01, 2012
@OP.. You're very funny with your thread ooo. Is just like you asking if it's right to wash hand after using the toilet before meal. I'm sure this scenario should give you an insight to what my response is shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:46am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: It's a sign of respect. But some people will insist that you enter with your shoe.

I beg to differ o!!

Its a sign of my shoes are sandy/dirty so I will leave them at the door..

However, whats the guarantee that your floor is cleaner anyways?! I think that habit started when people shoes started ripping up linoluem carpets and dirtying rugs..

Ask for me o!! I dont do that.. Except their is a clear sign at the door that says so.. Like at the shrine..
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 01, 2012
ghettodreamz: @OP.. You're very funny with your thread ooo. Is just like you asking if it's right to wash hand after using the toilet before meal. I'm sure this scenario should give you an insight to what my response is shocked shocked shocked

how does this relate to the question raised by the OP?
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:51am On Nov 01, 2012
ghettodreamz: @OP.. You're very funny with your thread ooo. Is just like you asking if it's right to wash hand after using the toilet before meal. I'm sure this scenario should give you an insight to what my response is shocked shocked shocked

LIKE seriously!! WTF is this shiit you wrote here?!
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by philipstanley(m): 10:57am On Nov 01, 2012
I DO REMOVE MY SHOE, IT'S A PART OF AFRICAN CULTURE
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 01, 2012
Lol@ Okija_Juju "Footware", eh?

Depends. But I think it's a matter of your shoe being cleaner than the floor or the floor being cleaner than your shoe.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:58am On Nov 01, 2012
philip stanley: I DO REMOVE MY SHOE, IT'S A PART OF AFRICAN CULTURE

WTF!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by ssii: 11:01am On Nov 01, 2012
I really don't see anything wrong with wearing shoes into the house, except the host personally does n't want it. The shoes can cleaned on the footmat before entering the house.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by RickyRoss1(m): 11:03am On Nov 01, 2012
If its a tiled house there is no need to remove your shoes, but if it is clean rug yes you should humble yourself and remove your shoes by the door.

But if your rug is dirty sorry I wont remove my shoes..
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:05am On Nov 01, 2012
It depends on the floor of the house in question,I always off my shoes before entering a house with rug carpets but will have them on if the floor of the house is tiled.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by greatgod2012(f): 11:07am On Nov 01, 2012
I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:08am On Nov 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

I beg to differ o!!

Its a sign of my shoes are sandy/dirty so I will leave them at the door..

However, whats the guarantee that your floor is cleaner anyways?! I think that habit started when people shoes started ripping up linoluem carpets and dirtying rugs..

Ask for me o!! I dont do that.. Except their is a clear sign at the door that says so.. Like at the shrine..
That your ancient shrine with mud floor abi
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by acidtalk: 11:09am On Nov 01, 2012
You dare not enter my house with your shoes on. If you like put on a $3,000 mauri shoe and drive a bugatti.

If you can't pull off your shoe then I am sorry you can't enter my house.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:13am On Nov 01, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.
Who says you are a bush girl,far from it but I think you are a village girl.
lol

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:14am On Nov 01, 2012
acidtalk: You dare can't enter my house with your shoes on. If you like put on a $3,000 mauri shoe and drive a bugatti.

If you can't pull off your shoe then I am sorry you can't enter my house.
oya pass me your address,I'll come visiting with Hugo boss on.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by acidtalk: 11:16am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234: oya pass me your address,I'll come visiting with Hugo boss on.

Is like you don't want to use your legs to the village this christmas?

Come and see people's legs who I have chopped off hanging at the entrance of my door because they didn't want to pull their shoes off. I bet you don't want yours to be in my archive too.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by albacete(m): 11:16am On Nov 01, 2012
Okija_juju: Heck NO!!!

However, if the house has a white rug, then I think its only sensible to remove your footware at the door..

Did u just say "white rug" shocked shocked

As for me, i don't pull off my footwear unless i feel like resting my weary feet (that is, if i am putting on a shoe/boot/canvas)

Besides, i don't think its cool to put a rug on the floor of your sitting room; tiles or woodwork is better, IMHO though.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by savanto: 11:17am On Nov 01, 2012
I personally will not attribute the removing of footwear at the door post as an African tradition, however, it is due to the fact that we have soil all around us and during the rainy seasons your shoes carry a lot of mud around. In some developed countries, you do not easily find sand anyhow as most streets/highways/walkways are tarred. You can cover many miles on foot without your shoes picking any sand be it rainy season or dry season.

I make it a point of duty to remove my shoes before entering into another man's house. I also do it in mine, but I do not expect visitors to do same because it is sheer waste of time especially to unlace some shoes which could be stressful. I usually encourage them to enter with their shoes...after all, i sweep daily. It all depends on two factors - your choice as a visitor and that of your host. Either way, there has to be a kind of swift agreement at this juncture. The communication can go this way:-

Guest knocks on the door:

Host answers and opens the doors:

Host: Please come in Mr. John!

Guest: Makes an effort to remove his shoes:

Host: No! no! no!, i insist that you come in with your shoes:

Guest: Don't worry Mr. Alabi.. I'm used to removing my shoes:

Host: Screams. I say come in as you are!

Guest: If you insist.

Host: Yes, i insist!

That means that the Host has won. There is an agreement there. None of them will be angry afterwards. But if you barge in with your shoes, you could face the risk of being highly embarrassed because some host don't know how to address people in a polite and polished manner.

That is just my 2cents.

7 Likes

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:22am On Nov 01, 2012
acidtalk:

Come and see people's legs who I have chopped off hanging at the entrance of my door because they didn't want to pull their shoes off. I bet you don't want yours to be in my archive too.
I want to break that jinx and be the very first to grace your house with my precious Hugo boss shoes on.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by albacete(m): 11:24am On Nov 01, 2012
acidtalk:

Bros, why now? na so u mean reach?

Ok. i understand......snow white rug smiley smiley grin grin grin wink wink lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
undecided
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 01, 2012
I remove my shoes all the time. I hardly even think about it
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:26am On Nov 01, 2012
savanto: I personally will not attribute the removing of footwear at the door post as an African tradition, however, it is due to the fact that we have soil all around us and during the rainy seasons your shoes carry a lot of mud around. In some developed countries, you do not easily find sand anyhow as most streets/highways/walkways are tarred. You can cover many miles on foot without your shoes picking any sand be it rainy season or dry season.

I make it a point of duty to remove my shoes before entering into another man's house. I also do it in mine, but I do not expect visitors to do same because it is sheer waste of time especially to unlace some shoes which could be stressful. I usually encourage them to enter with their shoes...after all, i sweep daily. It all depends on two factors - your choice as a visitor and that of your host. Either way, there has to be a kind of swift agreement at this juncture. The communication can go this way:-

Guest knocks on the door:

Host answers and opens the doors:

Host: Please come in Mr. John!

Guest: Makes an effort to remove his shoes:

Host: No! no! no!, i insist that you come in with your shoes:

Guest: Don't worry Mr. Alabi.. I'm used to removing my shoes:

Host: Screams. I say come in as you are!

Guest: Why you dey shout for me na?! angry I dey remove the shoe make your ground no dirty am.. angry

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Dygeasy(m): 11:27am On Nov 01, 2012
Well, its like nobody actually mentioned muslims who believe one can pray in any part of the house, hence everywhere should be kept clean... But majorly, it depends on the type of floor and the kind of home you are entering like people have said already above me. As much as some people do not like it, others see nothing wrong about it.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Dopefiend(m): 11:27am On Nov 01, 2012
Omo for dis naija wey we dey? U go remove dat shoe or my dog remove am for u. So its ur choice grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Afam4eva(m): 11:27am On Nov 01, 2012
philip stanley: I DO REMOVE MY SHOE, IT'S A PART OF AFRICAN CULTURE
When did Africans start wearing shoes that it has now become part of African culture.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by slimyem: 11:28am On Nov 01, 2012
Depends on the flooring of the house and how clean it is...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians / What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.