Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,647 members, 7,813,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? (2926 Views)

What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? / How To Use 1999 Camry Cruise Control / Must A Nigerian Guy Have A Car Before A Lady Agrees To Go Out With Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Getrich47(m): 12:25am On Nov 01, 2012
Helo Nairalanders am a newbie on automatic transmission has any1 used d cruise control function,any side effect? pls share ur xperience. Tanks
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by ZUBY77(m): 12:30am On Nov 01, 2012
Are you sure we even know what it is?
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Getrich47(m): 12:35am On Nov 01, 2012
Its a small button located at d bak of the steering wheel of a car.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 01, 2012
Getrich47: Helo Nairalanders am a newbie on automatic transmission has any1 used d cruise control function,any side effect? pls share ur xperience. Tanks

I don't get you - why would the use of Cruise Control produce any side effects?? Do you actually know how cruise Control functions? I only ask, because your query would suggest you don't know what it is, if you're asking about side effects.

To answer your question, yes. I use cruise whenever I'm doing highway trips, at a constant speed.

1 Like

Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 01, 2012
At OP, Yes I get to play around with my crusie control on the high way when i get bored and want to play around with the car controls(have in mind traffic is usually low).

In a town like lagos, you would hardly see anyone getting to use it due to this reasons.

1. It engages at about 60km upward(correct me if am wrong)

2. As soon as you tap the breaks it goes off.

Its fun and I really don't think it has side effects. Its cool when you accelerate and de-acclerate from your steering control with you left leg on the a/c vent(don't try this lol).
Besides you could jst fix it on 120km/hr n enjoy your trip at that constant speed with a reasonable RPM

1 Like

Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Getrich47(m): 1:35am On Nov 02, 2012
@babs2arok thnks, u jst described its function jst as i read in d manual...av been kinda scared to try it out bt i think i can nw...i also heard it cn affect d brakes efficiency of ur vehicle hw tru is it?
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 02, 2012
I Really don't think it affects the brakes efficiency. Feel free to try it, if anything goes wrong tap your brakes and you are instantly back to normal drive.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Lexusgs430: 9:39am On Nov 02, 2012
Getrich47: @babs2arok thnks, u jst described its function jst as i read in d manual...av been kinda scared to try it out bt i think i can nw...i also heard it cn affect d brakes efficiency of ur vehicle hw tru is it?

No side effects whatsoever. To enjoy the cruise - control function, try it a a long stretch of potholes-less road network.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Getrich47(m): 2:45pm On Nov 03, 2012
Tnx a lot....u guys rock!
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by adonisgold: 2:54pm On Nov 03, 2012
Getrich47: Tnx a lot....u guys rock!

Careful sha and remember to forget about your left leg when driving automatic transmission use only your right for braking and acceleration.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Getrich47(m): 3:01pm On Nov 03, 2012
@adonis....lol tnx av learnt dat already
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by CHIMCO(m): 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2012
Pls whaat is cruise control.? How can one use it?
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2012
CHIMCO: Pls whaat is cruise control.? How can one use it?

No disrespect bud. But these are the sort of questions that make me question, why one would be looking to buy a car, and will be insisting on all the extras that bump up the cost. Yet have no concept of how these extra toys work. It happens all the time.

SMH.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by sultaan(m): 5:19pm On Nov 03, 2012
You should only use it when you are traveling over a long distant with traffic free. All it does is drive your car at a set speed

when you are driving over 40mph/60kmph turn on the cruise control by pressing the button.

Then press the set button, the car will now maintain that speed, if you press the brakes and the car slowed to 5mph below your set speed it will turn off the cruise control.Press the + to increase speed instead of throttle.
The cruise control light can stay on but it will only work when you press set.

1 Like

Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by CHIMCO(m): 7:06pm On Nov 03, 2012
Siena:

No disrespect bud. But these are the sort of questions that make me question, why one would be looking to buy a car, and will be insisting on all the extras that bump up the cost. Yet have no concept of how these extra toys work. It happens all the time.

SMH.
I thought you will make further clarification.
Siena:

[color=#000099]No disrespect bud. But these are the sort of questions that make me question, why one would be looking to buy a car, and will be insisting on all the extras that bump up the cost. Yet have no concept of how these extra toys work. It happens all the time.

SMH.
I thought you will make further clarification.[/color]
Siena:

SMH.
I thought you will make further clarification.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 04, 2012
CHIMCO: Pls whaat is cruise control.? How can one use it?
Just Read All the Post Above...Everything About Cruise control has been said,very basic. No offense but your question seemed very irrelivant
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Lalaska(m): 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2012
Yep. A lovely tool for regulating speed. Was once travelling and didn't want to exceed 120kmph. Found it really useful. For a Camry, get to the desired level of speed and engage the cruise control nob and ure home anddry. You can drive below that speed but not above it
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by t3ky(m): 3:37pm On Nov 04, 2012
Siena:

SMH.
Siena:

[color=#000099]No disrespect bud. But these are the sort of questions that make me question, why one would be looking to buy a car, and will be insisting on all the extras that bump up the cost. Yet have no concept of how these extra toys work. It happens all the time.

SMH.
[/color]
Siena:

SMH.
You are right bros. I tayaaaooo.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
Lalaska: You can drive below that speed but not above it

You've got it the wrong way round bud. You can drive above the set speed, but NOT below. If you depress the gas pedal, it will pick up speed. Take your foot of the gas, and it will slow back to the preset speed.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by plendil: 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2012
With all the potholes and naarrow bends, I'm not sure which Nigerian road will allow one effectivley use the cruise control.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by 18wheeler: 1:01am On Nov 08, 2012
Try malumfashi-yashe road. Its a 110km free road. I used to ply d whole distance on cruise ctrl. I enjoyed it.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by lukkie(m): 12:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
plendil: With all the potholes and naarrow bends, I'm not sure which Nigerian road will allow one effectivley use the cruise control.

It's not used in city traffic, only highways. It has a minimum speed, usu around 70kph. I use it while travelling.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by jeffizy(m): 5:23am On Nov 12, 2012
plendil: With all the potholes and naarrow bends, I'm not sure which Nigerian road will allow one effectivley use the cruise control.
Funny enuf, most road networks in the northern states are good for the issue being discussed.
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by jeffizy(m): 5:24am On Nov 12, 2012
18wheeler: Try malumfashi-yashe road. Its a 110km free road. I used to ply d whole distance on cruise ctrl. I enjoyed it.
On point 18wheeler!
Re: Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:41pm On Nov 22, 2013
Getrich47: Helo Nairalanders am a newbie on automatic transmission has any1 used d cruise control function,any side effect? pls share ur xperience. Tanks

OP acknowledged he is a newbie

Before OP asked

Anyone with prior experience.

For everyone there is a first time, a first kiss, first house, first car, first wife (if he has wives), first trip, can go on and on....

So please be gentle on OP

Lovely technology but you need long stretches of road to enjoy it, but if you don't mind

Once used used on a road trip to Lagos but after encountering several bends, dense traffic and potholes, i turned it off

It can actually improve MPG.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_control and http://www.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control.htm and http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Cruise-Control-on-a-Car

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Mini Bus ( Korope ) On Hired Purchase / 2000 Nissan Pathfinder (Toks) Emitting Serious Heat, Pls Help! (Pic) SOLVED / What To Look For When Buying A Used Toyota Rav4(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.