Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? (8489 Views)

Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? / Scan That Car Before Buying And Diagnose Ur Car B4 The Mechanic Take U 4 A Fool / Must A Nigerian Guy Have A Car Before A Lady Agrees To Go Out With Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Ikenna351(m): 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2013
Sometime last month, on a Sunday actually, I drove to NEXT in my SV D9 (406 V6 Stick). I got what i went there for and on the way out, I stopped at traffic light at the junction close to NEXT gate (those in Abuja would know the one). While i was waiting for the traffic to pass us into the expressway, I saw a new Toyota Yaris behind me via my interior rearview mirror, waiting for the traffic light to give us go ahead into the expressway as well. The green light eventually came. Fortunately, I was in a mood for some fun. So i pushed the throttle pedal down hard, while i shift the stick in seconds. Well you know what will be the rest.

Unfortunately, I didn't know the way and manner my SV D9 stick left the Toyota yaris behind when the traffic light passed us, got the driver in the Yaris upset. Probably, to prove a point to the passenger seating in the car, which i saw in my mirror then, the yaris man gave me a chase or whatever you may call it. Because while i was catching my fun behind the wheel with the matching stick, i saw a Black Toyota Yaris behind me, seriously struggling to get close and overtake. Looking again on the mirror proved that it was the same Yaris I left behind and have forgotten all about it. Hmm! "Wahala dey o!", i muttered while i shaked my head.

Now, the option left for me to help the yaris was to slow down to let him overtake him, to please him. Or, to leave him behind again. Well, i couldnt sacrificed the fun i was having to please some yaris guy. So I chose the 2nd option. What did i do then? I shifted the stick down to the 4th gear and push the throttle very hard. By the time i shifted it up to the 5th gear again, i checked the rearview mirror and i saw something far far away that look like stationary object. But the black colour of the object made me realise it was the same Yaris. I shaked my head again, and continued with my fun.

I got to the bridge that leads to Garki II (Aminu Kano Crescent), so I slowed down to divert, climbed down and enter the expressway that lead to Area 1 roundabout. Those that know that road would understand how sharp the bend is, which one must slow down. But all of sudden, while in the bend, I saw that same Yaris again, forging towards behind on high speed. I became scared, thinking it would lose control,spin and crashed or hit my car. This guy in this car continued on the same speed and entered the bend just to overtake a "Peugeot 406" he though disgraced him. To be very honest, I thought this car would turn over when he speed past me in that bend. It was a miracle that he survived it.

I started wondering, "What could make one be so foolish behind the wheel to drive in that manner?" So of all the car he has seen, he chose to prove to a Peugeot 406 how powerful his brand new Toyota Yaris is? Seriously? Of course, i gave him the benefit of the doubt that he didnt see the two "V6" badges stamped on the 2 front fenders of my Lion. But did he actually think that even his "new" Yaris can stand a N/A I4 Peugeot 406 on the highway, if they were to race?

Now my question is, what do Nigerians actually look for in a car when they are hunting for one to buy? Ask an average Nigerian, he would tell you " Car na Car". So for that, V6 or performance cars should be avoided, since even a car with 50 hp will behave the same way a 150 hp car would do. You want a green car, yet you expect it to give you behind the wheels what those cars you call "gas guzzlers" give those that drive them?

I may sound mean here, but if that Yaris had lost control in that bend and somersaulted, I wouldnt have stopped to even peep how it ended up. We all gonna leave this World. But how you decide to leave (God's making or your own making) its upto to you. What he did was pure suicidal, luckily, he survived it.

Now lets check out the two cars powertrain involved.

1. Toyota Yaris, 2005 - till present.
Because I do not know the exact engine in the car, a little study i carried out showed that the Yaris of that generation has 3 engines:

*1kR-FE: 1.0 L, 71 hp, 53 kilowatts.
*2NZ-FE/2SZ-FE: 1.3 L, 84 hp, 63 KW.
*1NZ-FE: 109 hp, 81 kW.

2. Peugeot 406 V6, 2000 model.

*ES9J4S: 3.0 L, 210 hp, 152 KW.

Now the man wants to prove a point with the above figures to who?

When one is looking for a car to buy, he/she needs to ask himself what he needs the car for; the purpose the car is coming in to serve. A city car is designed for that purpose and nothing more. Even when you drive it on highway, you should use or drive it as designed for. If you are after a highway or speed vehicle or fun car, then find and get one designed for it. For example, most V6 cars or turbocharged I4s are installed special ssuspensions to handle the speed they are designed for and make the handling better on high speed. Most V6 or performance cars are fiited Electronic Stability program (ESP) and other similar speed related programs. For example, my former Peugeot 605 V6 was fitted electronic dampers on the 4 wheels, such that once the speed exceed 80 km/h or so, the dampers would suddenly drop the car closer to ground and the handling will become something else. But as soon as the speed start reduceing, the dampers would raise the car up again. Even the turbocharged 605 didnt get that suspension, except the V6. Do I miss that car? Yes, everyday!

If you want to be doing some '007 stuffs behind the wheel, look for a car that is designed to safely give you that. But if you are so much after mpg, then swallow it and look the other way when some beast speed past you as if you were stationary. Because, you cant eat your Cake and have it. You gain some, you lose some. You gain mpg, you lose performance.

Ikenna.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by shootsight(m): 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2013
i put ride safety and handling above other things ... no automobile is perfect all round so once those criteria are met i'm very much ok
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by sultaan(m): 4:28am On Nov 21, 2013
I have had to accept that most people in naija focus on fuel economy, 4cyl cars that is easy to maintain.

If you suggest something like a miata, corvette, or mustang those cars are not on the radar

When you start getting into the 200+HP zone that is when I get interested.

I look for power and gizmos which is why I got the ford, and in love with caddy car& sts
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by azat: 10:46am On Nov 21, 2013
For many Nigerians (If not most) the most important thing is a 'Clean Car' and I4 engine. Most times, once the car is 'clean' nothing else matters, not even something as basic as the Engine Size.

I had a friend who wanted to buy Camry 2000 xle, but was finding it hard to find cos of scarcity. After explaining to him that XLE preorder could be harder to find and obviously more expensive, I asked him if the LE trim will not be enough for him, he said no. Then I specifically asked him what features/options he really wanted from the XLE trim he was requesting, he said ''factory fiitted AC, factory fitted CD and Alloy Wheels''!

I was so weak.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by yungboss(m): 10:49am On Nov 21, 2013
azat: For many Nigerians (If not most) the most important thing is a 'Clean Car' and I4 engine. Most times, once the car is 'clean' nothing else matters, not even something as basic as the Engine Size.

I had a friend who wanted to buy Camry 2000 xle, but was finding it hard to find cos of scarcity. After explaining to him that XLE preorder could be harder to find and obviously more expensive, I asked him if the LE trim will not be enough for him, he said no. Then I specifically asked him what features/options he was really want from the XLE he was requesting, he said ''factory fiitted AC, factory fitted CD and Alloy Wheels''!

I was so weak.
you have not stated your answer
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by yungboss(m): 11:05am On Nov 21, 2013
Fair amount of hp and torque, RWD, less amount of electric gizmos, preferably German...

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by azat: 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
yungboss:
It is not a JAMB Class brother. Traditionally, questions on Nairaland are more or less to establish a platform for discussions, not necessarily a simple question-and-answer session.

Personally, I am not too enthusiastic about performance of cars for now; I'm still at a level where reliability (Point A to Point B movements) and fuel economy are priorities, but that does not mean I should be totally ignorant about what there is to wish for in a car, in terms of performance.

As such I should know I have no business trying to compete with a 2005 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L, V8 with 282hp Engine, if am driving a 2009 Corolla with 1.8L, I4 with 126hp Engine. Or trying to compete with a V6 406 when I am riding a Yaris of 1.5 I4 Engine with just 106 horse power.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by yungboss(m): 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
azat: It is not a JAMB Class brother. Traditionally, questions on Nairaland are more or less to establish a platform for discussions, not necessarily a simple question-and-answer session.

Personally, I am not too enthusiastic about performance of cars for now; I'm still at a level where reliability (Point A to Point B movements) and fuel economy are priorities, but that does not mean I should be totally ignorant about what there is to wish for in a car, in terms of performance.

As such I should know I have no business trying to compete with a 2005 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L, V8 with 282hp Engine, if am driving a 2009 Corolla with 1.8L, I4 with 126hp Engine. Or trying to compete with a V6 406 when I am riding a Yaris of 1.5 I4 Engine with just 106 horse power.
sorry, but why i responded was because you described what "Nigerians" or "most Nigerians" understand to be clean,and in the end you became "weak"...

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by azat: 1:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
yungboss:
sorry, but why i responded was because you described what "Nigerians" or "most Nigerians" understand to be clean,and in the end you became "weak"...
smiley smiley grin
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by yungboss(m): 1:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
azat: smiley smiley grin
sorry bro if it offended smiley

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by icemann(m): 3:04pm On Nov 21, 2013
For me, over 250HP, Auto transmission, alloy wheels, Navigation, V6 or V8, RWD or 4WD, traction control, ABS and any other gadget that can improve performance is a plus.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by sultaan(m): 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
yungboss:

Well all LE Camry has what he was looking for the only difference he didn't state was leather on XLE
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by shootsight(m): 5:08pm On Nov 21, 2013
azat: For many Nigerians (If not most) the most important thing is a 'Clean Car' and I4 engine. Most times, once the car is 'clean' nothing else matters, not even something as basic as the Engine Size.

I had a friend who wanted to buy Camry 2000 xle, but was finding it hard to find cos of scarcity. After explaining to him that XLE preorder could be harder to find and obviously more expensive, I asked him if the LE trim will not be enough for him, he said no. Then I specifically asked him what features/options he really wanted from the XLE trim he was requesting, he said ''factory fiitted AC, factory fitted CD and Alloy Wheels''!
I was so weak.

loooooooooooooooooooool... u aint seen nothing bro grin
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by hisroyalflyness: 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
Gbam!!
shoot@sight:
i put ride safety and handling above other things ... no automobile is perfect all round so once those criteria are met i'm very much ok
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by drnairalov: 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
Well if it can fly
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by hisroyalflyness: 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
And Price, If i hear say you no put price into consideration!..lol...Na joke oo
shoot@sight:

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by drnairalov: 5:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
but wait ve been driving my car now for over 2yrs.. I dnt knw d components of d car..all i knw is dat if i fuel it d car wud move...wetin cosign me wit cyllinder...Moral of s story...Car na Car so far it carry u to ur destination
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by yungboss(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2013
Whenever I see comments as most above, I know the thread has appeared on the front page

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by zeennurei(m): 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
For me as a Nigerian what I likes in a car are:
1) Fuel Economy
2) Easy Maitenance
3) Good on Road (Elegance, Speed etc)

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by crackhaus: 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Big azz SUVs are my thing; Tundra, Infiniti, Pathfinder (2011 upwards), Highlander (2010 upwards).....

I can pick any of these cars over a woman..apologies to the hunnies grin

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by gamechanger1: 5:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
I drive an EOD 2003 i think, V6; though it consumes more fuel but the driving pleasure is really good, i think i'll be sticking to 6 cylinder cars
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Gee2728(m): 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
I traded my 2004 honda accord EX for a 2000 C230 kompressor cos I wanted a car that could be driven very hard.

The same reason am eying a E46 bmw 330ci over a E90 325i.

PERFORMANCE!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by keletex2000(m): 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Factory AC, manual drive, 6-cylinder,leather interior, not more than 10years old and preferably,German.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by santakris(m): 5:47pm On Nov 22, 2013
zeen nurei: For me as a Nigerian what I likes in a car are:
1) Fuel Economy
2) Easy Maitenance
3) Good on Road (Elegance, Speed etc)
You speak my mind.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by dreezybines: 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
GPS,Golden rims and steering and bullet proof shit

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption / Car Child Seat In Nigeria: When To Stop Using It? / Toyota Camry Is Showing ABS And BRAKE On The Dashboard At The Same Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.