Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate (8154 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 1:00am On Nov 02, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen,
Ogas and madams,

It is my pleasure to announce to you all that the time for the culture section to assume its rightful place in the "pantheon" of Nairaland has come, and what other way is there to do this if not by hosting Nairaland's first cultural debate? I would like for us to host a debate in which a four contestants would be pitted against each other in order to compete for a championship.

DETAILS
-I intend for there to be a tribunal of judges who would regulate the debate (which would last for a set amount of time) and then appoint a winner based on their judgements.
-The debate would be set up in a tournament style:
(X vs Y) - (A vs B)
(X vs A)
-The two winners of the two debates shall then be pitted against each other in order to determine the winner of the last round.
-The winner of the last round shall be the winner of the entire contest.

PARTICIPANTS
There shall be (5) members of the tribunal who are to be nominated by you NairalandersI
There shall be (7) contestants, however on the actual day of the debate, only the first four will be allowed to participate.

TOPICS
There shall be three topics selected for discussion: one for each group, and then one final one for the two finalists. The topics are to be voted upon by you Nairalanders and can be based on anything cultural (ex: gay marriage in Nigeria, westernization, teaching kids English vs native tongue) and etc).

CONDITIONS
Each of the contestants would be asked to choose opposing sides on a topic (ex: Legalizing gay marriage in Nigeria) and would be asked to defend their positions. The person that defends their position best, according to the judgement of the tribunal, would be recognized as the winner.

DATE
The official date of the debate has not been set. However, it will be sometime in the near future.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have.

My hat goes off to Jarus, my inspiration for this.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 1:09am On Nov 02, 2012
I'm asking you guys to please step out and participate so that we can not only catalyze intellectually stimulating discussions but reveal to the entire site the hidden jewel which is our beloeved Culture section!

Our first objective is to assemble our 5-person tribunal and to gather our 7-person contestant list. Please begin nominating (you are able to nominate yourself).

TRIBUNAL
1. Gboliwe* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)
2. Afam4eva
3. Glizengem* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)
4. Chuky234* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)
5. Nitlad* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)

CONTESTANTS
1. Dubem3* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)
2. Emperoh* (1 nomination: a total of 2 nominations needed)
3. Smartjyke
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Gboliwe: 5:13am On Nov 02, 2012
Where would I fit in? Debate on culture just like politics is highly volatile. We have to be very careful. I'm in whichever way.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 5:31am On Nov 02, 2012
Gboliwe: Where would I fit in? Debate on culture just like politics is highly volatile. We have to be very careful. I'm in whichever way.

I don't think that should be a deterrent. The discussion, of course, would be moderated.

Where do you think you would belong? Would you like to be a contestant or a member of the tribunal?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Gboliwe: 5:38am On Nov 02, 2012
You didnt include the audience/silent observer option? cheesy
That is where I fit perfectly. Lol.
I will do better as a member of the tribunal as by nature debates are not my thing
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Afam4eva(m): 8:11am On Nov 02, 2012
GREAT...I think i'll fit in as a judge.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by a1solution: 8:11am On Nov 02, 2012
Ok, oya lets start
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 8:20am On Nov 02, 2012
Gboliwe: You didnt include the audience/silent observer option? cheesy
That is where I fit perfectly. Lol.
I will do better as a member of the tribunal as by nature debates are not my thing

afam4eva: GREAT...I think i'll fit in as a judge.

No problem! The both of you guys currently have (1) nomination. You will need a total of (2) nominations to make it onto the tribunal.

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

a1solution: Ok, oya lets start

Spectator? cheesy
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by nitlad: 8:24am On Nov 02, 2012
Debate, the in-thing on Nairaland
Oya nah. Let's go there!

1 Like

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by MzFancy(f): 8:30am On Nov 02, 2012
Lol
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 02, 2012
Debate again! Lord knows I have hated debate right from my secondary school. "Runs out of thread" cry
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by SlyIg(f): 8:36am On Nov 02, 2012
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by SlyIg(f): 8:40am On Nov 02, 2012
The poster is good at oral English. Is it suppose to be pitt or picked? Anyway,thats by the way,will the winners smile to the bank or home with award!
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ghettodreamz(m): 8:41am On Nov 02, 2012
If post of debate treasurer is vacant, fill me in.. Time na money grin grin grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ghettodreamz(m): 8:44am On Nov 02, 2012
SlyIg: The poster is good at oral English. Is it suppose to be pitt or picked? Anyway,thats by the way,will the winners smile to the bank or home with award!

Abi ooo.. Only God knows what she meant, but we understood the whole concept sha, that's koko grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by smartjyke(m): 8:44am On Nov 02, 2012
I want to be a contestant. Smartjyke

1 Like

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by dubem3(m): 8:45am On Nov 02, 2012
berem: Debate again! Lord knows I have hated debate right from my secondary school. "Runs out of thread" cry

you are always running
which one is ur thing nah?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by slimyem: 8:46am On Nov 02, 2012
Will E-fights be allowed?
...cuz that's what makes this section fun..cheesy
...anyways,i'm sure it'll be really educative..I'll be in the audience.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ghettodreamz(m): 8:47am On Nov 02, 2012
berem: Debate again! Lord knows I have hated debate right from my secondary school. "Runs out of thread" cry

Na e-Debate na.. Are you the nervous type? No way for stage fright na.. Even if you are the stammering type, no one would get to know that... I wonder, why you hated debate anyway... grin grin grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ghettodreamz(m): 8:49am On Nov 02, 2012
slimyem: Will E-fights be allowed?
...cuz that's what makes this section fun..cheesy
...anyways,i'm sure it'll be really educative..I'll be in the audience.

If all of una de run go viewing centre, who go kon remain?
Me sef go de viewing centre, na hin sure pass grin grin grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by dubem3(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2012
odumchi: .
[b][/b]

hey bro whats up?
i had almost set up a search party to come looking for you when i checked your profile and discovered u had been around prolly keeping a low profile or maybe i came around less often.

debate sounds like a good idea and i want in.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by glizengem(f): 9:06am On Nov 02, 2012
Am nominating myself as ur abled... Mr/mrs chairman... Let d game begin...... Jst accord honor 2 hu it is due
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Emperoh(m): 9:16am On Nov 02, 2012
Emperoh signs in. . . .i can be involved in anyway!!
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 9:19am On Nov 02, 2012
dubem3: [b][/b]

hey bro whats up?
i had almost set up a search party to come looking for you when i checked your profile and discovered u had been around prolly keeping a low profile or maybe i came around less often.

debate sounds like a good idea and i want in.

O'boy, you no get wahala at all at all. I dey o.

glizengem: Am nominating myself as ur abled... Mr/mrs chairman... Let d game begin...... Jst accord honor 2 hu it is due

Remember that you guys need (2) nominations to secure your positions!
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2012
Emperoh: Emperoh signs in. . . .i can be involved in anyway!!

As a contestant or on the tribunal?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Lawconfessor(f): 9:35am On Nov 02, 2012
Cultural Debate!

Sounds Good. ""sit-don dey look""
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by chucky234(m): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2012
Agbero things
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by chucky234(m): 10:01am On Nov 02, 2012
Reporting for duty,tribunal straight
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by chucky234(m): 10:04am On Nov 02, 2012
SlyIg: The poster is good at oral English. Is it suppose to be pitt or picked? Anyway,thats by the way,will the winners smile to the bank or home with award!
Who cares,the message was successfully conveyed and clearly understand by us all.
ITK go kill you
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Odinaka00(m): 10:25am On Nov 02, 2012
I wil βξ the camera man
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Emperoh(m): 10:29am On Nov 02, 2012
odumchi:

As a contestant or on the tribunal?

Contestant joo cool grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by PointB: 10:30am On Nov 02, 2012
I hardly frequent the culture section. I would like to grace this debate as an observer. Perhaps, it's an opportunity to learn a thing or two.

**picks a seat, and sits calmly**

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausa Indigenous Hawan Sallah(durbar) / Where Are My Hausa Speaking Nairalanders? Please Come In Let's Have A Talk. / igbo Masquerades

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.