Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate (8166 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:34am On Nov 02, 2012
A cultural debate? Yay! This should be fun! cheesy cheesy cheesy[color=#550000][/color]
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ortopazz(m): 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2012
Ok, definitely be an observer here, but the topic will seriously entertaining, looking forward to the debate date.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by duni04(m): 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
Can i nominate myself?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 3:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
duni04: Can i nominate myself?

Yes, you can. Onto the tribunal or as a contestant?

PointB: I hardly frequent the culture section. I would like to grace this debate as an observer. Perhaps, it's an opportunity to learn a thing or two.

**picks a seat, and sits calmly**

Pleased to have you here. cheesy
We could definitely use your organizational skills on the tribunal.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 3:52pm On Nov 02, 2012
I'd like to remind everyone that you need a total of two nominations to secure your positions and so far no one has two nominations.

I would also like to ask more people for their active participation because without it this whole thing can't happen.

Please nominate these contestants/tribunal members in order to help validate their positions!
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by dayokanu(m): 4:40pm On Nov 02, 2012
Good one my Eze

This is the type of Eze we need.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by mimima(f): 5:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
hmm
okkk,when are we starting na?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by mimima(f): 5:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
I'm nominating pointb as one of members of the tribunal.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by PointB: 6:52pm On Nov 02, 2012
odumchi:

Yes, you can. Onto the tribunal or as a contestant?

Pleased to have you here. cheesy
We could definitely use your organizational skills on the tribunal.

Tempted to volunteer. But too many stuff in my hands these days. By the way, I sent you a mail.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by EzePromoe: 8:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
I nominate Ifyalways.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by nitlad: 8:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
@[url=nairaland.com/odumchi]Odumchi[/url], by tribunal do you mean Panel of Judges? If yes, I put myself forward as a tribunal member. grin

1 Like

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsPHD
Negro Ntn
Abagworo
Kails
Pagan9ja
Ptolemeus

Nominating all as contestants.

1 Like

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 6:08am On Nov 03, 2012
PointB:

Tempted to volunteer. But too many stuff in my hands these days. By the way, I sent you a mail.

No problem. As for your email, I will respond subsequently.

nitlad: @[url=nairaland.com/odumchi]Odumchi[/url], by tribunal do you mean Panel of Judges? If yes, I put myself forward as a tribunal member. grin

Yes, that's what I mean. And no problem.

ifyalways: PhysicsPHD
Negro Ntn
Abagworo
Kails
Pagan9ja
Ptolemeus

Nominating all as contestants.

When any of these nominees accept their nominations and nominate themselves, they shall be squeezed onto the contestant list.

What about yourself, Ify? Will you be an observer?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by sweetsunny: 10:44am On Nov 03, 2012
I am nominating smartjyke as a contestant.
Smartjyke
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by sweetsunny: 10:44am On Nov 03, 2012
I am nominating smartjyke as a contestant.
Smartjyke
smartjyke: I want to be a contestant. Smartjyke
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Jarus(m): 12:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
I endorse Afam4eva's self-nomination to tribunal.

As an advice, I will suggest you have at least 3 well-known Nairalanders on your tribunal and contestants. This strategy will add colour to it. There are some Nairalanders whose presence can pull crowd/curiosity/interest for the event.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Jarus(m): 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2012
Also, I've not seen you outline the modality. Is it a cultural superiority contest? Or we just pick certain aspects of our culture and subject it to review? What exactly will the tribunal do? Whose culture?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by dubem3(m): 1:04pm On Nov 03, 2012
i equally suggest the topic be made
known well in advance to give room for preparations.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 4:26pm On Nov 03, 2012
Jarus: I endorse Afam4eva's self-nomination to tribunal.

As an advice, I will suggest you have at least 3 well-known Nairalanders on your tribunal and contestants. This strategy will add colour to it. There are some Nairalanders whose presence can pull crowd/curiosity/interest for the event.

Thanks for the advice.

Jarus: Also, I've not seen you outline the modality. Is it a cultural superiority contest? Or we just pick certain aspects of our culture and subject it to review? What exactly will the tribunal do? Whose culture?

No, it's not a cultural superiority contest. It would be a debate in which a cultural topic would be presented and the two contestants would be asked to take opposing sides. For example, contestant A would say that native medicine should be commercialized while contestant B would argue against it. The person that best conveys his opinion in the most persuasive manner would be the winner (according to the decision of the tribunal).

At the end of each debate, each tribunal member would simple choose the contestant that he/she thinks did best.

dubem3: i equally suggest the topic be made
known well in advance to give room for preparations.

No problem. People should start hammering out ideas as we wait for more contestants/nominations and the 3 most popular topics will be selected.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
sweetsunny: I am nominating smartjyke as a contestant.
Smartjyke

Thanks!
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 03, 2012
I have a topic. I think a topic of our history first would be nice.

Would black people have made significant progress, if we took out slavery, colonialism?

Someone can word the topic better for me.

1 Like

Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 5:02pm On Nov 03, 2012
stillwater: I have a topic. I think a topic of our history first would be nice.

Would black people have made significant progress, if we took out slavery, colonialism?

I like this. I'd like more interesting ideas like this.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Afam4eva(m): 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2012
stillwater: I have a topic. I think a topic of our history first would be nice.

THis is a killer topic and i endorse it.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by AlterEgoTM: 4:01pm On Nov 04, 2012
nitlad: @[url=nairaland.com/odumchi]Odumchi[/url], by tribunal do you mean Panel of Judges? If yes, I put myself forward as a tribunal member. grin
I endorse nitlad's self-nomination to the tribunal.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Nobody: 3:51am On Nov 05, 2012
this should be interesting.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 4:10am On Nov 05, 2012
AlterEgo™:

I endorse nitlad's self-nomination to the tribunal.

Noted!

*Kails*:
this should be interesting.

It would definitely spice things up if you participated. grin
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by Emmyk(m): 11:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
In as a spectator. *adjusting agbada* . Awa niyen fa
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by NegroNtns(m): 2:15am On Nov 16, 2012
I read through the whole thread and Im wondering to myself if there s any reason why Ify is not in the panel of judges. Shouldn't her name have been the first on the list already before anyone else's? angry

Why isnt anonymous on the judges panel?
Why isnt physics on the judges panel?
Did Ileke-Idi turn down an offer to be a judge, if not why isnt she there?

Who are all these people you got on the panel what do they know about culture?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by NegroNtns(m): 2:17am On Nov 16, 2012
....and then you got a yeye person on the judges panel! wth!! angry
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 2:22am On Nov 16, 2012
Negro_Ntns: I read through the whole thread and Im wondering to myself if there s any reason why Ify is not in the panel of judges. Shouldn't her name have been the first on the list already before anyone else's? angry

Why isnt anonymous on the judges panel?
Why isnt physics on the judges panel?
Did Ileke-Idi turn down an offer to be a judge, if not why isnt she there?

Who are all these people you got on the panel what do they know about culture?

Let those people that you just mentioned come out and nominate themselves/express their interests and all else will follow.
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by NegroNtns(m): 2:57am On Nov 16, 2012
Eze,

I nominate all of them. Add Onila there too.

Can you do me a favor?
Re: The Road To Nairaland's First Ever Cultural Debate by odumchi: 7:53am On Nov 16, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Eze,

I nominate all of them. Add Onila there too.

Can you do me a favor?

No problem. Just have them come and accept and the changes will be reflected on the board.

What is the favor?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SEA SALT for GORGEOUS SKIN, HAIR, TEETH and NAIL / Alhaji Abubakar Ali Appointed As The New Emir Of Yamaltu / History: Get To Know The Legend Of Usman Dan Fodio,wars,politics And Works.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.